1.    #1  
    So know how verizon allowed free tethering on the plus and pixi will they alow it on the 3?
    Last edited by abocornwall; 05/03/2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abocornwall View Post
    So know how verizon aloud free tethering on the plus and pixi will they alow it on the 3?
    Since the Pre 2 has it, I'm willing to bet the Pre 3 will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Since the Pre 2 has it, I'm willing to bet the Pre 3 will.
    I didn't know the Pre2 had free tethering. MHS is a feature of the phone, BUT I believe that Verizon no longer offers the free 5Gig. deal on any phone. At least for new accounts or renewal of accounts. Perhaps someone may be grandfathered in if they presently are on the original 5Gig. free deal ( with remaining time on their contract) and switch from a Pre plus to a Pre2 or Pre3.
    I come to this conclusion after speaking to people at several different Verizon stores.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    First off, FreeTether supposedly works on 2.x.

Besides, It's a listed feature of the Pre 3 and Veer...
    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details Just select "Mobile Hotspot" on the left hand menu.

Assuming a carrier doesn't strip it out, or charge extra, it should be baked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    First off, FreeTether supposedly works on 2.x.

Besides, It's a listed feature of the Pre 3 and Veer...
    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details Just select "Mobile Hotspot" on the left hand menu.

Assuming a carrier doesn't strip it out, or charge extra, it should be baked in.
    OP asked about free tethering on Verizon. NOT the App." Free Tether".
    I understood them to ask about free tethering ( as was offered by Verizon. Up to 5Gig. ) using the MHS ( Mobile Hot Spot ) feature of the phone.
    Yes, I believe that the App. "Free Tether" is being refined at present to work on the OS used on the Pre2 and Pre3. However, this is not the same as a free offering from Verizon for free tethering up to 5Gig. as previously offered by them.
    I do not believe that Verizon continues to offer the free 5Gig. deal via MHS feature of the phone as they did when the Pre Plus was available through them.
    You state that Free Tether is a listed feature of the Pre3 and Veer. Mobile Hot Spot is a feature of the phone to allow tethering. ( Note I left out the word FREE ) My point is, "Free Tether" and MHS are not one in the same. At this point in time I do not believe any carrier is allowing an amount of tethering through the MHS feature that comes with the phone for FREE. An additional fee is required to tether using MHS.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    But does free tether allow for "free" tethering?
    IE, does it just look like normal phone data usage?

I'm not going to pay an additional $20 or $30 to tether my laptop. If the pre3 doesn't have the ability to "get" free tethering one way or another, I'll likely hold off upgrading my pre+ as long as verizon honors the free MHS deal I've got.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I'm not going to pay an additional $20 or $30 to tether my laptop. If the pre3 doesn't have the ability to "get" free tethering one way or another, I'll likely hold off upgrading my pre+ as long as verizon honors the free MHS deal I've got.

-Suntan
    As I understand it the App. "Free Tether" will allow you to tether without a charge. All data is seen as phone data. ( as I understand it )
    There is a lot of Info on "Free tether" on the forum. I have come to my conclusions after reading all I can find. I am very interested in using it if and when I get a palm Pre3. However, I cannot help but wonder how long it may take for carriers to shut the door.
    I have avoided posting a lot of questions that I have had because I figured the least amount of publicity the better.
    Contact VZW to see if they will with your account. Someone did preorder and said that it was free still but best to hear from the peeps that mail out the bill.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan
    Yeah, I'm right there with you. My Pre+ is working fine, I have it patched and overclocked. I don't use the MHS a whole lot, but it is handy when I need/want it. This probably the one feature that will delay my switch to the Pre3 if and when it comes to VZW. If I can use a third-party app to allow tethering at no additional charge, then I will switch as soon as possible.
    My MHS on my Pre+ is the only internet I have at home and I love it. I just had a conversation a month ago with two different Verizon sales people, the first said "yes" to my question if I will be grandfathered in. I called back on purpose to talk to a different person and she told me "no", "once I change phones I lose my 5gig free MHS".. On another note, I find myself educating Verizon sales weasles on a regular basis as to the Pre line and WebOs. Like someone said before, "Wait for the bill".
    Quote Originally Posted by abocornwall View Post
    So know how verizon aloud free tethering on the plus and pixi will they alow it on the 3?
    My bet is that the fabulous people in the Homebrew Community will have the Free Tether app available for the Pre3 though Preware only. I say this due to the carriers cracking down on the tether apps currently being shut down in app catalogues such as the Android Market

See link below:

Carriers crack down on Android tethering apps, rain on our mobile hotspot parade -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    My bet is that the fabulous people in the Homebrew Community will have the Free Tether app available for the Pre3 though Preware only. I say this due to the carriers cracking down on the tether apps currently being shut down in app catalogues such as the Android Market

See link below:

Carriers crack down on Android tethering apps, rain on our mobile hotspot parade -- Engadget
    Yeah. Proof of working Skype and Netflix, plus Verizon looking the other way to light tethering would be the only requirements needed for me to get the Pre3.

-Suntan