Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is my first posting here and I seem to have arrived in a storm of unhappy Web OS users.

Through a route I won't go into, but my son now has a Windows Phone 7, I found myself with my 4th iPhone, an iPhone 4 32GB. I am bored of it. Longing for a change, after all the phone is basically still the same as my first 2G one, I purchased a used unlocked Pre from eBay and moved my Sim to play.

I like it, for me it is fresh and with a bit of hacking fairly responsive. So I looked forward to watching the HP event and seeing what I might look forward to if I decided to get rid of the iPhone 4. And, it was ok as far as I was concerned. Some interesting features, nice integration of TouchPad and Pre 3 with a reasonable speed boost.So the Pre 3 looked like an attractive purchase to me in the Summer.

I come back to this forum to see what the 'inside response' is and find a lot of very unhappy people. Reading the posts over the past 24 hours has completely put me off going down the HP route. If the 'faithful' are not behind the product then there is no hope of HP making any inroads to the masses.

I often see dissent from the Apple fan club but never on this scale, and generally Apple update handsets for 2 years with new software features each year excepting anything that needs specific hardware to support it. As far as I can see HP have done this with the original Pre and Pixi but not Pre Plus or Pixi Plus. But even that is not clear as HP have not stated no Web OS 2.0 upgrade, just not OTA unless i read it wrong.

As for development, iOS iPhone to iPad was an evolution of skills, I don't understand what has happened with WebOS development but I think it is 'start again' with a new environment? Can someone explain?

I am going to hang on to my Pre for a few more weeks as it is fun to play with a new toy, well new to me, but I suspect it will end up on eBay again with my iPhone 4 back in my pocket. Shame, I really like the interface and it feels like a nice phone. But I am not prepared to take the risk on a product that does not appear to have a following and therefore potentially a future.

J
    uh it's just a passionate forum of webos users. Don't pay too much attention to us. If you're still bored this summer then the Pre 3 might be something to check out.
    Also, im sure the new stuff works fine if u like the form factor and ui, but some of us arnt prepared to update hardware yet, but want our software updated. But be advized that tp date webos is missing many apps that ios has
    EDIT: Wow! This is long! But please read it. It will help you very much!

First thanks for posting here! I was like you when watching the event and got all psyched up about the new S, M, L beasts. I was really taken aback by the response here. I have been part of the WebOS community from day one of the Pre launch. I started to doubt the devices like you but then I went back and watched every single video and read just about every single editorial written up about them. What I found is that EVERY single person who had seen or handled them loved it. Then I stumbled upon this post:
    BY: HelloNNNewman
    I will say this to any nay-sayers who are griping about what's missing on the Pad, or how Palm messed up with the Pre3... you haven't seen these devices, you haven't held these devices, and you haven't experienced what HP's cash has brought into Palm for making these devices absolutely amazing. There will be devices on Sprint. There will be some tweaking before it happens, but they are coming.
    This really made sense to me and got me to think and understand. Then I went through the Pre3 and looked the devices and I posted this on once of the threads:

I seriously can't find out why you guys are so "UnImpressed"!?!?
    Please take the time to read this because people today are thinking all specs and make big deals out of something simple that won't effect them at all. They look at the paper specs and make their opinions without really thinking.

--The Pre3 has a WVGA screen which is bigger and personally my personal golden size (goldy lox and the 3 bears). The pixel density is great at triple the Pre's!!! The retina deal is cool but practically, anything beyond the Pre3 density isn't adding much. Just mental asuringness.
    --The processor is a freaking 1.4 Ghz!!! Blazing fast. The only thing would have been dual cores because that means less battery consumption. It would mean faster Pre3 but it look better on paper than in real life.
    --The keyboard is still a portrait keyboard, which I love because landscape keyboards force me to view everything the way I don't want to. AND the keyboard is BIGGER!!!!! Which makes me incredibly happy.
    --The Camera can shoot 720p! Nice crispy HD for me and you! All this business of 1080p and 8 mpx doesn't matter that much because 1080p is only usable on YouTube (no diff on the device it self) and most people don't have fast enough interwebs for 1080p. 8 mpx doesn't mean anything, what matters in the camera is how many photons the camera can get in (not horrid tinny pixels).
    --Tap to Share is AWESOME!!! and is one of the most innovative ideas on the market. I will be using it EVERYDAY.
    EDIT: And I forgot to add (thanks to dint56 for reminding me) that the camera also has auto focus and video stabilization!!!
    I really like WebOS and now to see what they have done with WebOS 3.0!!! Please DO NOT loose sight of WebOS you will regret it. Another thing is that I don't think people get on the internet to post about how much the love a device like me much but more people get online to post how the dislike certain things.
    My original Pre eventually broke a couple months ago and I decided to check out the competition and buy an Evo, which is what I currently have. And I like it alot along with Android but it just doesn't have the jazz that WebOS has. I am finding my self, like you, getting board of it. I truthfully like it alot but... it just isn't WebOS. You would be saving you self a few hundred $$ and time if you skip the Android route and come directly to WebOS. Me personally, I will be getting a Pre3 and a TouchPad when I have safed up enough pennies to go and get them.
    Again thank you very much for posting for questions here as I have been worried that people like you will be getting scared off at all the people here who are not angry but are truthfully concerned with the future of WebOS and were it is going. I just posted a thread about the interview over at Engadget with Jon Rubenstein and other HP executives and I think you would really enjoy reading it:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...interview.html
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    +1
    To the OP, I just want to add a couple things.

There are a large amount of people on these forums complaining about the event, that have long before the event left for other operating systems (not saying all, but there are many and they post their opinion repeatedly as often as they can).

As far as the time line of devices as you spoke about the original Pre and Pixi, then the pluses and now the current timeline. HP has only had control for approx 8 months, including transition and everything else with the buyout. So nobody has really seen what HP's vision is before the Feb 9th event.... so personally I can't be mad at HP for pushing the ship forward it is no longer under Palms budget and HP seams ready to throw cash at the future (even if it leaves a few in the past).

One last thing, personally my only worry is that Sprint won't see the Pre 3. Sprint is the only carrier that makes financial and quality sense for the wife and I. In the last couple days I have looked at other carriers pricing and other phones (we will not be getting new phones until at least this summer anyways). Our Pre's are working fine for us, we could both probably use new batteries after abusing the ones we have had (my fault for not getting em replaced under warranty).

All in all my only negative thing from the event, was not knowing if Sprint will see the Pre 3. Once carriers and pricing are announced I can take the time to concern myself with what to do next. I do want a Pre 3 for me and 1 for the wife, and a TouchPad to share.....

Wifi only TouchPad will be fine (wouldn't pay the premium for 3G), just don't want to run a different mobile OS from my Tablet when I can finally afford one.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You are fortunate to come into this without carrying the baggage we opening day Pre owners have. Speaking for myself, the anger/disappointment comes from unkept promises and delay afer delay.

The OS is amazing, what's been missing is quality hardware and significant apps.

I really like what I see on the Pre 3 - unlike many, the form factor to me is perfect. I expect the the size will seem perfect to me as well.

HP could have eliminated the vitriol by announcing and selling shortly there after. But, since we're 6 months way and have no update to the OS we're kind of disenchanted.

Going forward, for me any way, the issue will be applications - I've waited nearly 2 years for something as basic as document creation/editing. I had that on my Treo 650 for crying out loud! Without applications, I'll migrate - probably to Iphone for a couple years to see if the webos ecosystem can mature.
    Last edited by treo2die4; 02/13/2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    You are fortunate to come into this without carrying the baggage we opening day Pre owners have. Speaking for myself, the anger/disappointment comes from unkept promises and delay afer delay.

The OS is amazing, what's been missing is quality hardware and significant apps.

I really like what I see on the Pre 3 - unlike many, the form factor to me is perfect. I expect the the size will seem perfect to me as well.

HP could have eliminated the vitriol by announcing and selling shortly there after. But, since we're 6 months way and have no update to the OS we're kind of disenchanged.

Going forward, for me any way, the issue will be applications - I've waited nearly 2 years for something as basic as document creation/editing. I had that on my Treo 650 for crying out loud! Without applications, I'll migrate - probably to Iphone for a couple years to see if the webos ecosystem can mature.
    This was a problem for me to and still will be for awhile but I really like were Ruby is going. You should take a look in my thread link above in my ling post (near the end).
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I'd say that the main reason for the dismay is that many of the posters here are loyal Palm users who have been patiently waiting for the platform to take off and reach the amazing potential it so clearly has. But after being told yet again "wait another 6 months" many are just sick and tired of having the football pulled away again by Lucy.

If you're bored with your iPhone 4, try jailbreaking. Or try expanding how you use it. For example, try leaving the fancy dSLR and video cam at home and learn how much you can do just with the iPhone 4 camera and the iMovie iOS app.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post

HP could have eliminated the vitriol by announcing and selling shortly there after. But, since we're 6 months way and have no update to the OS we're kind of disenchanged.

To OP, yeah, what that guy ^^ said. Except for me Android will carry me until this platform is ready.

90% of people are ****ed due to circumstance Rather than product potential. Too much history. **Tho I think the veer is a stoooopid idea, but anyway.**
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    this forum can beover exaggerated with little to no moderation. It was a hand full of people cross posting the same nonsense.

I have a sprint palm pre and it is the easiest to use and fairly robust. It migt not have every feature, but the features it does have work very well and very consistantly
    I'm a longtime Palm user & it has been frustrating to have some features missing from the Pre that I had on my Palm Treo. However, Palm developed webOS, ran out of money & HP bought it. Those facts are not unimportant in any discussion about the timeline & waiting: waiting for hardware, apps & updates. It makes sense for HP to be looking forward. My Sprint Pre - wil go into retirement the minute I can get my paws on a Pre3 (assuming the Veer isn't released on Verizon prior to that).

Personally, I think it will be worth the wait. Seeing what HP envisions and has in mind, I'm thrilled & waiting to buy!

Stick around. HP Supports the Homebrew community. It'll be a fun ride as things unfold.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    To the OP, if you watch closely, most of the people complaining have jumped ship. They are suceptible the the android saturation theory (understandable... They have good products) so they were expecting HP to sort of be re-made in that same image. Is it a surprise they are disappointed?

Not the best group to listen to when they have a change they made that needs to be validated. There is noting wrong, as far as I can tell, with the new hardware. It's specs are in the ballpark this time.

Evaluate HP on the NEW ideas (integration) they've tried to implement. They are taking a different path, so it needs to be judged on ots merits, not by saying haow different it is from Androids path to prosperity.... And they aren't done yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sammoj View Post
    This is my first posting here and I seem to have arrived in a storm of unhappy Web OS users.
    Ignore it, here's the problem; Palm actually listens to their customers, so now half of the guys that come in here think they own the place (the company).

Go on the Apple board and tell Steve Jobs you want Flash, or you want other form factors, a removable battery, widgets, microUSB, SD card slot, or you want a two-button mouse, or a netbook (well, he did give us the new Air), or a 7-inch tablet, or a cup of water. You'll quickly realize you're wasting your time and either live with what he gives you or buy something else. Unless, of course, you just like whining...
    It's about the apps. The Pre3 will be a fine device. The Touchpad too. Neither of them will have the app footprint for a long time to come.

If they have the core apps you need, you should be more than satisfied with the interface. I've been asking myself whether my lust for new apps is enough to defect from my Pre form factor (which I love). We'll see what developer commitments and solid apps HP can produce at launch.

Their event was underwhelming, not so much for what they said, but what they didn't say. No price, no launch date, no carriers, no demo units, no details on PCs, etc.

Once they clean that up, people will be able to evaluate better.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the responses....nice to see some positive ones.

Well, today I took the plunge. Sold my iPhone 4 to one of those phone brokers and the Palm Pre will be my daily phone. Pre-ware hacked, speeded up to 800mhz, got a touchstone and back today cheap from O2 shop and ready to go.

I will make a decision in 'summer' to go with Pre 3 or iPhone 5 or something else.

For those that posted about Android, I have already been there with work - Touch and Touch 2 from T-Mobile (HTC). They were ok, but the inconsistent UI between Apps drove me mad.

I Still have my iPad which is nicely tethered now thanks to the Pre and that makes it more useful out and about. I must admit a veer sounds attractive as the iPad tends to be with me most places I may need access to the web and has a nice screen but no 3G - I refuse to pay two contracts.

So a WebOS user I am.....for now at least.

J
    Definitely go to screenstate 500/1000. No reason not to I would take all the vitriol as this: People LOVE webOS, and they have a great deal of emotional investment into the platform. Most posters in here just really wanted to see a new device now or at least know their older device would actually continue to be updated. It was a tough blow seeing our beloved devices abandoned.

But yes, there are a lot of Android users that are trying desperately to justify them abandoning webOS as a platform. I get the feeling they secretly like webOS much more than Android, but they can't save face unless they have a hardware reason to return, haha.
    The Pre3 has an awesome chip set that isn't in any other phone and people are talking down about it. Haters gonna hate. They are just mad they got an Evo and HP didn't release any hardware similar.
    The waiting part is the only problem for real WebOS lovers - dump the BORING rotten Apple - you won't look back!!!
    Global Posts
    888 Global Posts
    We were told to "be patient" because new hardware was coming.

We were told to "be patient" because a new software update was coming.

Now we're told to "be patient" because new hardware is coming...in about 6 months.

And we're told to not even bother "being patient" for the software update...it's not coming to our phones...at all...ever.

And yet, no one can seem to fathom any understanding about why some Palm loyalists MIGHT be a little frustrated?

Yeah, I can't figure it out either.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast