Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    We were told to "be patient" because new hardware was coming.

    We were told to "be patient" because a new software update was coming.

    Now we're told to "be patient" because new hardware is coming...in about 6 months.

    And we're told to not even bother "being patient" for the software update...it's not coming to our phones...at all...ever.

    And yet, no one can seem to fathom any understanding about why some Palm loyalists MIGHT be a little frustrated?

    Yeah, I can't figure it out either.
    Palm hasn't been Palm for 8ish months (semantics I know but being technical here).... If the Palm loyalists can't understand the purchase of Palm and the time frame that takes, combined with the fact that if Palm had not been bought, it wouldn't have had the money to scale even what we have seen thus far. Maybe the Palm loyalists need a business econ class or a reality check??? Just saying maybe.....


    This comes from a "Palm Loyalist" and someone considering changing carriers if my carrier of 10 years doesn't get the Pre 3. Ohh and being a realist, I have been looking into other phones on my chosen carrier and other carriers. Until pricing and carriers are released, I continue to educate myself on all options.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  2. #22  
    It isn't that we don't believe in HP and what they are doing, we are just hurt that we won't be getting the long awaited update to 2.0


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    ...If the Palm loyalists can't understand the purchase of Palm and the time frame that takes, combined with the fact that if Palm had not been bought, it wouldn't have had the money to scale even what we have seen thus far. Maybe the Palm loyalists need a business econ class or a reality check??? Just saying maybe...
    So everyday people are supposed to be able to read the minds of HP/Palm to determine whether or not they're being lied to? Clearly, the webOS community forced the manufacturer to make false statements intended on dragging us along. It's pretty clear that HP's has dramatically mismanaged the Palm takeover to me.
  4. #24  
    Don't listen to the webOS whiners, it looks like they forget that HP Palm is just a company and they owe nothing to their customers. I repeat, it is a company and the only thing they want is our money.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    So everyday people are supposed to be able to read the minds of HP/Palm to determine whether or not they're being lied to? Clearly, the webOS community forced the manufacturer to make false statements intended on dragging us along. It's pretty clear that HP's has dramatically mismanaged the Palm takeover to me.
    Please read my whole statement.... Also read the statement I was responding to that you quoted me on....

    Then when you say mismanaged, I would say there were probably a lot of confusion during the transition. I do not blame Palm employees or excuse HP employees, but once again, do you fully understand what has happened over the last 8+ months? The melding of 2 companies is NEVER smooth, and information isn't always shared properly.... What we are seeing now is a new iteration of what Palm had been. We are also seeing (based on FCC filings) the transition of Palm developed devices being released by HP. I suspect by next CES (assuming HP and the carriers don't botch this launch) we will see a full on display of what HP can do with Palm's I.P.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6. #26  
    I read your entire post and the entire post you were responding to.

    When I say mismanaged, I mean mismanaged. HP and Palm have not been on the same page since the very first days of the merger. HP didn't want anything to do with smartphones. HP wanted webOS for netbooks, laptops, PCs, and tablets. HP eventually figured out, probably through the presentation of overwhelming evidence, that it couldn't simply abandon smartphones. With the revelation they had no understanding of the mobile device market, HP decided to keep the Palm name and keep Palm in charge of all webOS device and software development until such time as HP could get a better understanding of the marketplace.

    HP clearly did not, and may still not not understand the importance of applications or the importance of existing device maintenance. The lies about webOS 2.0 updates, the lies about product availability and the absurd lead time for new device releases are affirmations of the arrogance HP has.

    I'm not interested in hearing excuses for being lied to such as "information isn't always shared properly." Information was shared properly, HP just didn't see the economic value in keeping its word. That spells pretty clearly how much you can trust HP's statements right now. They're worthless. Completely worthless. This is not a new iteration of Palm. This is HP with ex-Palm employees.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Don't listen to the webOS whiners, it looks like they forget that HP Palm is just a company and they owe nothing to their customers. I repeat, it is a company and the only thing they want is our money.
    OMG, HP is soooooo not in a position to give us this "take it or leave it" attitude. That is if they want to be successful in the mobile space. There are too many options for people. Pull that crap 2-3 years ago totally different story.

    And if they think they can just mozie on in to the enterprise to compete with BB they got another thing coming. At my law firm when people look for BB alternatives... they look at fruitco.

    HP, try getting a dam GOOD Technologies email client first.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  8. #28  
    There's several reasons why the response here was so vitriolic - but most of all it is important to realize that the most unhappy also tend to be the loudest and most active.

    1. Expectations were high after a long period of waiting and uncertainty. That's partly HPs fault because they hyped the event and then didn't really present much surprise. It was known since the July that HP was very interested to put webos on a Tablet and it was clear that there would be a couple of new devices

    2. Many of the people here are close to their renewal dates and were desperate for some good news about devices soon on their network (often Sprint)

    3. HP messed up with webos 2.0 for old pre-Pre2 devices. Announcing that they would renege on their earlier promise to upgrade the old devices without announcing at the same time how they would compensate for that was a big (amd hard to understand) marketing blunder

    4. Linked to 3 is the fact that devs have a big problem for a few months. Without the old devices getting webos 2 nowish they don't have a platform to target *now* - which in turn frustrates the users who are looking forward to more apps

    At the end of the day the reaction was so strong *because* this site is filled with the most passionate fans of the platform. The Pre3, Touchpad and even Veer are all potentially great devices. But all is still in the future, many details (bettery life, countries, carriers, price, etc...) are still unknown. HP simply overhyped the Event.
    Some will leave and things will calm down here - and many will eventually get the Pre3. :-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  9. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sammoj View Post
    This is my first posting here and I seem to have arrived in a storm of unhappy Web OS users.

    I really like the interface and it feels like a nice phone. But I am not prepared to take the risk on a product that does not appear to have a following and therefore potentially a future.
    I hope you can all see how potentially damaging the furore in here can be. By having many forum members acting out in such a silly and angry way, it actually hurts the chance of new adopters.

    Less adopters means less market share, which means less profit, which means less quality, which means less WebOS.

    I have even more reson to be upset than many here - I live in a country that won't be getting WebOS anytime soon, if at all. But I know that the best way of ensuring we do is to see that the product does well.

    Shoot yourself in the foot if you must, complainers... but don't shoot the rest of us in the foot.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I hope you can all see how potentially damaging the furore in here can be. By having many forum members acting out in such a silly and angry way, it actually hurts the chance of new adopters.

    Less adopters means less market share, which means less profit, which means less quality, which means less WebOS.

    I have even more reson to be upset than many here - I live in a country that won't be getting WebOS anytime soon, if at all. But I know that the best way of ensuring we do is to see that the product does well.

    Shoot yourself in the foot if you must, complainers... but don't shoot the rest of us in the foot.
    This point has been brought up before and I think its baloney.

    HP is thus asking "hey guys, can you folks free advertise for us". Then turn around and bite the hands that feed them. A product should be able to sell mostly on its own merits. As much as people here have liked the Pre, alot of people here could not look you in you eye and wholeheartedly recommend it.

    Yes, fruitco could sell crap on a stick, but not for long. At some point the crappy product experience will leak and the only people that will continue to buy are the hardcore fan-ism types. Sounds very familiar.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  11. #31  
    Me too!

    I want to go back to Sprint, hopefully I can use their $125 (We'll pay your ETF fee) promotion that ends April 16th, without it, I won't be able to convince my mom to pay $600 in ETF fee's.

    Please VEER launch Before then!

    Otherwise, I'll be forced to buy Androids, and give more numbers to the most frakked up OS out there, 4G abilities or not...
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    This point has been brought up before and I think its baloney.

    HP is thus asking "hey guys, can you folks free advertise for us". Then turn around and bite the hands that feed them. A product should be able to sell mostly on its own merits. As much as people here have liked the Pre, alot of people here could not look you in you eye and wholeheartedly recommend it.

    Yes, fruitco could sell crap on a stick, but not for long. At some point the crappy product experience will leak and the only people that will continue to buy are the hardcore fan-ism types. Sounds very familiar.
    Bull. HP isn't asking you to do anything but buy a product. If you think their products are inferior, buy something else. That's what normal people do.

    But the folks in here aren't normal. They're the type of people that think because they spent 200 bucks on an electronic device two years ago, the company that sold it to them is supposed to kiss their *** for life. And support their two year-old device with new software despite the fact that technology and all of the competition had moved on to new technology and new hardware.

    The original Pre wasn't perfect, but it got a really bad rep, much of it from the whiners in here, many of whom never even owned one. And instead of this becoming a great place for an exchange of ideas with the company that actually listens to it's customers, it's became a whiney-*** nirvana that scares people away.

    No, Palm needs to do exactly what they're doing. Make sound business decisions that will get NEW customers buying their products, not waste time on cheap-***** who just need attention.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Bull. HP isn't asking you to do anything but buy a product. If you think their products are inferior, buy something else. That's what normal people do.

    But the folks in here aren't normal. They're the type of people that think because they spent 200 bucks on an electronic device two years ago, the company that sold it to them is supposed to kiss their *** for life. And support their two year-old device with new software despite the fact that technology and all of the competition had moved on to new technology and new hardware.

    The original Pre wasn't perfect, but it got a really bad rep, much of it from the whiners in here, many of whom never even owned one. And instead of this becoming a great place for an exchange of ideas with the company that actually listens to it's customers, it's became a whiney-*** nirvana that scares people away.

    No, Palm needs to do exactly what they're doing. Make sound business decisions that will get NEW customers buying their products, not waste time on cheap-***** who just need attention.

    HP may not be asking me for free air time, but my response was to the OP who says that by negatively posting about HPalm products, we're doing the company and community a great disservice. THAT'S BULL.

    Again, a product should be able to stand on its own. There's very little "my phone is slow, my phone breaks all the time, my phone doesn't *fill in the blank* over on the Evo A|C forums and I'm willing to bet its not because they dont have whiners over there.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  14. #34  
    People deserve to get accurate advice about expectations they should have from HP or Apple or Android or Windows or Blackberry. Nobody in the mobile device industry would have done what HP has done. Nobody. HP simultaneously gave the finger to the webOS user base AND the developers. Doing that SHOULD give any potential new customers pause, don't you think?
  15. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    HP may not be asking me for free air time, but my response was to the OP
    just to avoid confusion I'm not the OP, wouldn't want anything directed at him/her instead of me.

    Really, the point I'm making is backed up by GMoney749 - most customers, if they don't like something, buy a different product.

    However, here we have people 'hanging around' in the forums, shooting off about these products, instead of doing something more productive.

    I don't want to seem confrontational - of course everyone has a right to be here. But I am genuinely confused as to why people are still in this forum if they've 'given up' on Palm/HP and WebOS?

    I don't own an iPhone, I don't want an iPhone, so I don't hang around in TiPB telling people not to buy them. Why does it seem to be different for WebOS 'non-fans'?

    If you'd rather an Evo than a Pre, why are you here and not IN the Evo forums? I'm not telling you to leave, I just find it baffling.

    The fact of the matter is, these people's actions HURT the chances of the OS the rest of us love.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  16. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Doing that SHOULD give any potential new customers pause, don't you think?
    Sure, but that's not what's giving people pause. It's the forum community overreaction that is giving the OP pause, not HP's actual actions.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

    I don't want to seem confrontational - of course everyone has a right to be here. But I am genuinely confused as to why people are still in this forum if they've 'given up' on Palm/HP and WebOS?

    You know what I'm confused about? How people can defend a product/company so adamantly that they choose to put up with a mediocre experience and shabby treatment. YES. This was me up until Feb 9th. Defended HPalm with my last dying breath for over a year. Convinced a co-worker to get a Pre and she liked it at first, but after a while she just got so frustrated and bailed for an evo. Imagine not using preware/uberkernal on your device, could you have stayed so long?

    Look, the potential is there, the Pre3 looks really good, and i still like webOS so i have no reason to abandon the community that pulled me through the rough pre experience, just the current device offerings.


    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    The fact of the matter is, these people's actions HURT the chances of the OS the rest of us love.
    This is whats hilarious. Most Pre users have moved on... in frustration. They weren't convinced to move on. Some negative comments on a web site that like 95% of smartphone users dont even know exists is a drop in the bucket of what really plagued the devices' mindshare.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HP clearly did not, and may still not not understand the importance of applications or the importance of existing device maintenance.
    i just want to say, that imo, the app part is not true.
    didn't hp have this internal competition or promotion or something where hp employees wrote webos apps?

    and just yesterday i read on p|c they are even willing to develop apps for big-name companies for free and give them away?

    sounds good to me
  19. Habious's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Bull. HP isn't asking you to do anything but buy a product. If you think their products are inferior, buy something else. That's what normal people do.

    But the folks in here aren't normal. They're the type of people that think because they spent 200 bucks on an electronic device two years ago, the company that sold it to them is supposed to kiss their *** for life. And support their two year-old device with new software despite the fact that technology and all of the competition had moved on to new technology and new hardware.
    HP doesn't have a product to sell!!

    Fine...I'll throw my Pre in the trash and buy a new Pre3. Tell me where to go. Brick-n-Mortar store? You have a website to link me to?

    I'm not poor...I'll buy one today, off-contract pricing too. Tell me where to buy it!!!

    And yes, until they come out with something else, yes, they DO need to offer software updates for their 2-year-old hardware. The original Pre is still the "current model" for many people. The Pre+ required switching carriers and breaking a contract...and the Pre2 is the same.

    You honestly think it's ok for phone carriers to REQUIRE 2-year contracts and phone manufacturers to make phones that only have a 6-month shelf life with regards to support and updates?

    And yes, HP/Palm DOES need the support of loyalists. It's called "buzz" and it's what sells phones.

    People don't buy the iPhone because CNET labels it a "Best buy" or Engadget spunks in their PJ's every time a new one comes out...they buy them because they're cool, they're hip, there's a buzz about them, people are talking about them, their friends are showing them the neat things they can do with them (and not bothering to mention the things it can't do).

    If HP/Palm is looking to market towards the "Meh, whatever, it's a phone" crowd, they're going to sell 19 phones in 2 years.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    People deserve to get accurate advice about expectations they should have from HP or Apple or Android or Windows or Blackberry. Nobody in the mobile device industry would have done what HP has done. Nobody. HP simultaneously gave the finger to the webOS user base AND the developers. Doing that SHOULD give any potential new customers pause, don't you think?
    Developers? How? I keep hearing that, please explain. Since, at this point, the Pre 2, Pre 3 and Veer are all slated to run 2.x, and all of the current apps work there natively, and since they will all also run in 3.x in an emulator, how are they giving them the finger? By coming up with a new and better tool to use to make apps in the future? This is just what I'm talking about. "Forget the future, what about me and my two year old phone?"

    And no, they don't need to cater to whiney people who are unhappy no matter what. "I love WebOS, just give me better hardware". Been hearing that for years. Now new hardware is coming and the same people have found other BS to complain about when the new stuff isn't even here yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions