Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 108
  1. #21  
    I liked it, thought it was way better then that lady we had before.
  2. #22  
    All jokes aside, it's not a bad start. I watched with sound at minimum as that's the best way to judge how effective a TV commercial is (and how a lot of people watch them...either sound turned down or not listening to it at all at normal volume).

    My only criticism is that they're muddying the message with stuff that's barely (if at all) related to the WebOS ecosystem. Beats audio is only on the tablets, and it's not a banner feature. I also have a BIG problem with them throwing that pure trash Android tablet/printer in the mix. I messed around with that thing at Fry's a few weeks ago, and the sooner HP EOLs it, the better. It doesn't interface with the products at all, and provides an atrocious experience even worse than the laggy TouchPad in its current state.
  3. #23  
    It's actually really quite good. Muted.
    I see pandas.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All jokes aside, it's not a bad start. I watched with sound at minimum as that's the best way to judge how effective a TV commercial is (and how a lot of people watch them...either sound turned down or not listening to it at all at normal volume).

    My only criticism is that they're muddying the message with stuff that's barely (if at all) related to the WebOS ecosystem. Beats audio is only on the tablets, and it's not a banner feature. I also have a BIG problem with them throwing that pure trash Android tablet/printer in the mix. I messed around with that thing at Fry's a few weeks ago, and the sooner HP EOLs it, the better. It doesn't interface with the products at all, and provides an atrocious experience even worse than the laggy TouchPad in its current state.
    I agree with what you say. It gets too complicated; they should show a Pre 3, Veer, and a TouchPad (if you really want to make some waves, show off a desktop running webOS or something), and leave it at that. Leave off the Beats audio; those are good features to advertise when people start Googling for the 'TouchPad,' but not something that should be shown at first glance.

    Simplicity is why Apple does so well in the marketing department. A message should be as simple as possible. A commercial is a message.
  5. #25  
    The serious voice, the claims about HP being connected and providing the world with products, the Everybody On slogan is a good one.
    I agree, the music/rapping is bad. The baby riding down the road is dumb and belies that seriousness at the end of the commercial. But there is some hope there.
  6. intheory's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #26  
    Seems to me like this consisted of nearly entirely pre-shot/released footage or b-roll. Also wasn't released on HP's youtube channel (YouTube - HP's Channel). Not buying that this is official.
  7. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    God.

    This is really bad. I come from the Apple world. I've seen lots of good commercials. That makes me ask one major question:

    Why can't they just totally rip off their commercials, and put in a Pre 3 or TouchPad instead of an iPhone or iPad, respectively? I mean, really.
    While I'm not a huge fan of the commercial and hope to god that's not the exact style they go for withe advertising the Pre3, TouchPad, and Veer...

    An apple style thing wouldn't have worked for what they were doing. That was not a "webOS" commercial or a "Pre3" commercial, it was an HP commercial. Its they're attempt to start branding themselves as a complete ecosystem company...mobile, perephials, computers, enterprise, cloud, etc. It seems they're trying to shift the way the public views HP as a consumer entity prior to the build up to the phones.

    Which is both good and bad...

    Good, because it means that the "Advertising blitz" is set to happen now rather than at the more reasonable time for the phones, a month or so before launch. Good if it succeeds at making HP feel more consumer friendly by the time the phones get launched. Good because its saturating out "WebOS" without trying to advertise for phones months away.

    Bad because if it fails before the Pre3 even launchs then HP's rep takes a hit, or the webOS portions may be used as a scape goat. Bad because it also makes you wonder that when the phones start getting close do they continue that theme of commercial or do something more phone centric.

    I think it'd be a horrible commercial for a phone. I think its a relatively average commercial for company branding...not great, not horrible.

    Contrary to what the WebOS community wants to call this, it is NOT a "WebOS" or a "Pre3, Veer, and TouchPad" advertisement.

    This is an HP advertisement for the HP Brand...as a whole. Its a branding advertisement for the company. Showing and focusing on three devices that aren't set to come out for months doesn't suit the goals or the needs of what this commercial is supposed to be. Just because WebOS people are trying to declare this strictly a WebOS commercial doesn't make it so, and its clear we should be viewing it from the context it ACTUALLY is...which is HP centric, which is why everything from ePrint (usable even on the iPhone) to the android printer to webos are mentioned.

    Its the first STEP in WebOS advertising, because it is relating the brand to HP...but it is just one component of the larger HP brand. As we get closer to launch time we'll likely start seeing more strict WebOS commercials and specific product commercials. To call this commercial a bad one because it doesn't show a set of products its not directly supposed to be advertising is a bit ridiculous
  8. #28  
    The other problem this brings up is timing. Let's say people see this ad and get excited in the next couple of months. They march to their local Best Buy, Frys, or whatever and see.....the same ole' HP laptops and nothing else. Let's say they see it after the Veer comes out. They rush down to the same stores ready to get a tablet or cool phone and have a tiny, Kin-like thing waiting for them with nothing to interface with except a printer.

    This ad sells a "vision" of what HP will represent at some point, but who can actually see that vision realized upon seeing this ad? They're going to start airing this during the Grammys on Sunday night. Why?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    Did you catch the phrase:

    "...Everybody Sprint..."

    coincidence?
    and...Everybody Now...
  10. Spinfusor's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #30  
    If this is an Omnicom ad, HP needs to fire them and find a new agency.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    and...Everybody Now...
    Everybody Later? Like Mikah said, it's too soon.
  12. #32  
    Everybody uuuugh!
  13. #33  
    The song sucked, but the concepts weren't that bad. The only interesting thing from a tech perspective was the printing piece where presumably you could save maps or other info on your phone and have it available for print on your printer the next time you get to it. That's cool. That should work for any cloud-connected printer or other device, but webOS and HPs strategy makes it simple.

    Would HP limit that capability to webOS or simply make a cloud-connected printer that could get html docs to print from any device based on a simple app?
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    Did you catch the phrase:

    "...Everybody Sprint..."

    coincidence?
    I did. And it may be coincidence, but it will make it sting even greater if they don't offer stuff on sprint.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I liked it, thought it was way better then that lady we had before.
    Well if that's the standard, we're doomed anyway.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  16. #36  
    Its watchable, but I think they could've done better, didn't really flaunt webos very well if you ask me.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Well, what do people think?

    looked fan made.
    I thought it was fan made until the end. then it started to look legit (touchpad out of NO WHERE, running an awkward version of webOS)
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    It just looked like the took clips from previously shot stuff (or even from a shop like Corbis) and slapped it all together.
    that's what they did
  19. #39  
    I think they need to mock themselves. Picture a boardroom of suits and ties bemoaning the fact they need something cool to sell but in the background execs are Tapping to Share or other webOS features and it just dawns on them.

    In other words, be HP.
  20. #40  
    **Mod note: Please stay on-topic and away from the cross-platform chat (we have threads for that). Thanks!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions