1.    #1  
    No NFC ? ://
    well the tap to share feature from the tablet to the pre 3 and veer could be considered NFC.. But I don't know if it will be compatible with the NFC tech that apple is coming out with... This is actually a really good question..
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    well the tap to share feature from the tablet to the pre 3 and veer could be considered NFC.. But I don't know if it will be compatible with the NFC tech that apple is coming out with... This is actually a really good question..
    T2S on P3 is BT. Heh. It's Bluetooth, that is. Not NFC.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not NFC, as Eynite notes on another thread:

i actually don't think it uses bluetooth to communicate. When you look at the feature sheet on the Touchpad, the Touch to Share feature has 2 foot notes (2,8):

2 - Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

8 - Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Data session is mandatory and both devices must have same profile (webos account). This sounds more like Chrome To Phone Extension like functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's not NFC, as Eynite notes on another thread:
    From that footnotes, it looks like it could be 2 options

1.- A very very basic NFC chip which triggers a data connection.

2.- (My Choice) HP is using the same technology that recognizes that the device is in the touchstone and charging, then triggers the exhibition mode, but here when the magnets are in range and the code recognizes as not charging but another device, it then triggers the algorithm for the Touch to Share (TTS).

Cheers
    Please, don't fall in the trap. It's not Apple who brought NFC. Nokia already has phones on the market that do it (the C7 comes to my mind). It's been invented first by Sony and Philips, which built a forum around it, and nokia, samsung and a few others joined them.

It's just getting popular now because Apple say that they will use it, so everyone is like "What is this great new thing?", but no, it's really not Apple's.

Credit should be given where it's due.
    I think HP rep's were even asked at the Feb event whether or not TTS is NFC and they said no. And I don't think not having is a bad thing. I wouldn't put my credit info in my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I think HP rep's were even asked at the Feb event whether or not TTS is NFC and they said no. And I don't think not having is a bad thing. I wouldn't put my credit info in my phone.
    This ^^.

In terms of security, I will NEVER use any "tap\touch to pay" tech, absolutely the least secure way of using "money". I work with the Electronic Payment Industry and have to know PCI & CISSP guidelines as well as fraud mitigation.

Secure payments from high to low

(Two factor)
    -Pin debit payment
    -Creditcard with fingerprint
    -Creditcard with photo

(Direct)
    -Creditcard
    -Creditcard with "Paypass" (tap payment)
    -Keyfob
    -NFC?

All these "tap to pay" technologies are just asking for trouble. When you remove authentication factors, you INCREASE the potential for fraud.

I lose a debit card and I'm ok because it's two-factor (card+pin). I lose a credit card and they can't buy gas because now zip is required. They can buy retail if the cashiers don't check signature or ID (incidentally, NEVER sign your CC, it gives the thief your signature! Always write "Check ID") With a photo CC my face it right there on the front, so the cashier doesn't need an ID and can see that the "buyer" is White and not Asian.

Paypass\NFC all you have to do is steal their keys\card\NFC phone and go anywhere there's tap-to-pay and have a field day on their dime. I can't tell you how many people I know that lost their Mobile gas keyfob and had their accounts hit for 100's of gallons of Premium Octane, car washes, and more.

For me, this is a collosally bad idea. (Not to mention making NFC phones a very disirable target for jackers)