Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
  1. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #1  
    The lack of WIMAX or LTE antennas really bums me out.

    HP will not be able to compete in the mobile space without these technologies. A new customer (which is obviously what HP is counting on, they have ticked off all their current ones) will compare a Pre3 to an Android device with "4G", and will obviously rather have the faster data speeds. Phones now are driven by data. There are many users who rarely make any calls. They rely on text for direct comunication, and then data for web, facebook, twitter, news readers, and more.

    Don't give me any nonsense about the lack of WIMAX or LTE coverage. I have coverage, so I want it. And it seems that Verizon's LTE coverage is expanding at a tremendous rate.

    Also, I honestly don't care about HSPA+, because I doubt they will make it compatible with Tmobile's 3G bands (Palm has never released an AWS compatible phone), and I hate AT&T because of the dropped calls and data caps. I don't make calls often, but when I do, I want them to work. Right now on my Pre2 on AT&T, I continually drop one third of my calls. Besides that, AT&T isn't even close to having their HSPA+ up and running.

    I liken it to an aircraft manufacturer trying to produce another propellor driven fighter aircraft in the late 1940s. Yes, jet engines were still new and had their flaws, but the advantages were so tremendous that it was clear to manufacturers they needed to focus their efforts on jet aircraft.

    Maybe the delay until summer is so they can get WIMAX and LTE antennas fully implemented into the hardware and software? If that is the case I wish HP would come out and say that, then the wait would be a little easier to deal with.
  2. #2  
    The idea of giving two years of my life to a phone that doesn't support the next generation of networks is upsetting. It isn't a deal breaker though, especially if battery life is great.

    (that's my personal view of it, by the way; others will find it differently)

    But I know exactly what you mean.
  3. #3  
    Just because WIMAX or LTE was not in the original specification for the new phones doesn't indicate that when specific carriers are announced that there may be WIMAX or LTE radios in carrier specific versions of the phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  4. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Just because WIMAX or LTE was not in the original specification for the new phones doesn't indicate that when specific carriers are announced that there may be WIMAX or LTE radios in carrier specific versions of the phones.
    Like I said, hopefully that is the reason for the delay till summer. However, adding another radio to a smartphone isn't the same as adding a PCI card to your computer. These phones are designed to be efficient with space. Do you really think they just left an empty spot inside the phone to add another antenna?
  5. #5  
    Not having 4g is a pure meh to me, end up using wifi most of the time anyways. HOWEVER, Sprint being my main carrier and they are slapping down any big gun not set with WiMax has me freaking out if I will actually get a chance to get one. Doubt I could do a comm board swap with a Pre 3 like I done on my Pre2.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  6. #6  
    Why does it matter?

    LTE or any version of "4G" is barely available, and it won't be for a while.

    Stick with something that works. 99% of the people out there still don't even know what 3g means or is or why it's important. heck, majority of the people out there don't own a smartphone to take advantage of any of that
  7. #7  
    I currently have an Evo 4G next to me but to tell you the truth. 4G isn't all what is cracked up to be. Ya its great and helps me allot but it just isn't a killer feature like the network providers pull it out like a gun. Trust me cwgtex, it is in no way a deal breaker.
    Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you that I do like in an area that is full covered by 4G service.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  8. #8  
    I see lack of 4g as irrelivant for the most part anyway. Most people dont live in 4g areas unless on tmobile which, i beleive is just hspa+ boosted fast. If it was 2g id say forget it but 4g is still fairly new. Theres a decent chance even the mext iphones will be 3g still.
  9. apd123's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Why does it matter?

    LTE or any version of "4G" is barely available, and it won't be for a while.

    Stick with something that works. 99% of the people out there still don't even know what 3g means or is or why it's important. heck, majority of the people out there don't own a smartphone to take advantage of any of that
    Yes and those people will continue buying iPhones. Those who are informed or know someone who is will realize how crippling this is especially EVDO Rev A.
  10. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Why does it matter?

    LTE or any version of "4G" is barely available, and it won't be for a while.

    Stick with something that works. 99% of the people out there still don't even know what 3g means or is or why it's important. heck, majority of the people out there don't own a smartphone to take advantage of any of that
    It matters because...
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Don't give me any nonsense about the lack of WIMAX or LTE coverage. I have coverage, so I want it. And it seems that Verizon's LTE coverage is expanding at a tremendous rate.
    The biggest thing to realize here is that HP needs to heavily target new users who often will have no prior experience with webOS. When they are at a Verizon store holding a Pre3 without LTE next to an HTC Thunderbolt with LTE, it is gonna be a pretty easy choice. Most people who are going to be interested in a top tier smartphone won't even pick up a webOS phone if "4G" isn't on the specs somewhere.

    This is only made worse by the fact that when someone gets a high end phone like this, they typically enter into a 2 year contract. I refuse to be left out of the LTE (or WIMAX) party for the next 2.5 years!
  11. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I currently have an Evo 4G next to me but to tell you the truth. 4G isn't all what is cracked up to be. Ya its great and helps me allot but it just isn't a killer feature like the network providers pull it out like a gun. Trust me cwgtex, it is in no way a deal breaker.
    Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you that I do like in an area that is full covered by 4G service.
    I understand your point, but I am not the average consumer. The average consumer has heard of "4G" and knows that carriers either have it or will have it soon. These new webOS phones aren't going to be competitive in today's market at all without LTE/WIMAX. The only people that buy them are going to be people that can't bear to part with webOS. HP/Palm needs a BIGGER user base, and neglecting "4G" technology is not the way to get it.
  12. crg28's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #12  
    One thing is for sure, when I get the TouchPad (wi-fi version), I will make sure I have a 4g phone with me for the hotspot, be it a new WEBOS phone, Android, or whatever....I dont really care....I would like it to be a WEBOS phone, but anything else LTE, WIMAX, etc will do.
  13. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by apd123 View Post
    Yes and those people will continue buying iPhones. Those who are informed or know someone who is will realize how crippling this is especially EVDO Rev A.
    People are going to buy iPhones no matter what. Apple is "cool". They are insanely popular. They are so hyped up they can get away with telling there users that a horrible design flaw is really just the user holding the phone wrong.

    HP has neither the marketshare or mindshare of Apple, and they are not "cool". They need two things to succeed in smartphone sales:

    1. A mobile OS that is head and shoulders above the rest (webOS - check)
    2. The best hardware available (well 1.4GHz is fast...right now...)

    Make no mistake about it, a lack of "4G" technology will go a long way towards destroying the sales of webOS devices.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    It matters because...


    The biggest thing to realize here is that HP needs to heavily target new users who often will have no prior experience with webOS. When they are at a Verizon store holding a Pre3 without LTE next to an HTC Thunderbolt with LTE, it is gonna be a pretty easy choice. Most people who are going to be interested in a top tier smartphone won't even pick up a webOS phone if "4G" isn't on the specs somewhere.

    This is only made worse by the fact that when someone gets a high end phone like this, they typically enter into a 2 year contract. I refuse to be left out of the LTE (or WIMAX) party for the next 2.5 years!
    spoken like a person with a sense of reality. thank you.
  15. #15  
    Not to mention when the Droid Bionic comes out on Verizon and it's dual core + LTE.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    The lack of WIMAX or LTE antennas really bums me out.

    HP will not be able to compete in the mobile space without these technologies. A new customer (which is obviously what HP is counting on, they have ticked off all their current ones) will compare a Pre3 to an Android device with "4G", and will obviously rather have the faster data speeds. Phones now are driven by data. There are many users who rarely make any calls. They rely on text for direct comunication, and then data for web, facebook, twitter, news readers, and more.

    Don't give me any nonsense about the lack of WIMAX or LTE coverage. I have coverage, so I want it. And it seems that Verizon's LTE coverage is expanding at a tremendous rate.

    Also, I honestly don't care about HSPA+, because I doubt they will make it compatible with Tmobile's 3G bands (Palm has never released an AWS compatible phone), and I hate AT&T because of the dropped calls and data caps. I don't make calls often, but when I do, I want them to work. Right now on my Pre2 on AT&T, I continually drop one third of my calls. Besides that, AT&T isn't even close to having their HSPA+ up and running.

    I liken it to an aircraft manufacturer trying to produce another propellor driven fighter aircraft in the late 1940s. Yes, jet engines were still new and had their flaws, but the advantages were so tremendous that it was clear to manufacturers they needed to focus their efforts on jet aircraft.

    Maybe the delay until summer is so they can get WIMAX and LTE antennas fully implemented into the hardware and software? If that is the case I wish HP would come out and say that, then the wait would be a little easier to deal with.
    I don't know why they don't have 4G in the works. But the C40 was rumored to be a 4G phone, wasn't? The rumor was either wrong or we still haven't seen the C40. Which means we still have more Palm devices to be shown.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    People are going to buy iPhones no matter what. Apple is "cool". They are insanely popular. They are so hyped up they can get away with telling there users that a horrible design flaw is really just the user holding the phone wrong.

    HP has neither the marketshare or mindshare of Apple, and they are not "cool". They need two things to succeed in smartphone sales:

    1. A mobile OS that is head and shoulders above the rest (webOS - check)
    2. The best hardware available (well 1.4GHz is fast...right now...)

    Make no mistake about it, a lack of "4G" technology will go a long way towards destroying the sales of webOS devices.
    if 4g is so critical then why hasn't Verizon released a phone yet? They have LTE up and running in plenty of markets?

    If 4G is critical why did sprint just hold an event to trump that dual screened kyocera android phone that only has 3G?!? Where are the huge sales for the EVO shift?

    By your standards Metro PCS should be the largest cell phone company by next month since they have the most LTE phones available. They must be flying off the shelves.

    honestly the success of the Pre 3 will be because of marketing. 4g at this point is a one trick pony that for sprint already been tricked out. With the rumors and statements from Sprint saying at any time they could go to LTE why would I want a phone that literally loose it's main capability over night?
  18. #18  
    I'm hoping the delay 'til summer is for the reason stated above and that gives me some hope. However, how do you #!*! this up in the first place? Seriously. How can you look at the Pre demographics (launched on CDMA Sprint network) knowing full well these are your biggest supporters to date and just leave off 4G? I'm a launch day owner but you have no idea how badly I want to just say screw it and go get a EVO Shift 'cuz I'm so P.O.'d about this. The clock is ticking on HP. For that matter, the clock is ticking on Sprint too, as my contract with them ends in 6 weeks. Might give me enough reason to go see if this iPhone is all it's cracked up to be. Okay, back to my wine now...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  19. #19  
    If the new LTE chipsets severely impact battery life, I certainly don't want one.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Just because WIMAX or LTE was not in the original specification for the new phones doesn't indicate that when specific carriers are announced that there may be WIMAX or LTE radios in carrier specific versions of the phones.
    I think so too.

    And I think the delay issue has to be about hammering out deals with carriers. Those negotiations HAVE to be nightmarish with all the various issues.

    My guess is that the Pre3 was made physically bigger than the Pre and Pre+ only partly because of an issue of screen size. I think it's also to do with being able to accommodate the radio needs. At least I really hope this is true.

    The no carrier issue is the problem for me. I think that is directly tied to wait time which is what sucks about this situation.

    I just feel sure that they would have shipped as soon as they possibly could after all the build up to the Feb 9 event. That they didn't and that things are vague makes me feel like the carriers are a little wait and see about it all.

    I've started a phone calling campaign on Sprint. Every few days I'm going to call them and ask them when are they going to get the Pre3 and intimate that I will go get a Verizon iPhone or something if they don't get this phone and the TouchPad.

    When they start to talk about the EVO (which they invariably do) I tell them I have zero interest in the Android. Zero. Zip. None. Nada. Which, for me, is the truth. I played with one over the Christmas holiday and yeah the processor was fast, but the maneuvering around on it just felt so...handicapped...compared to my typical multi-tasking habits. I can't deal.

    I also have been going on about how I've developed my profile on webOS and don't want to go through a conversion process with my calendar, contacts, social media and email accounts. webOS pulls them all together so neatly in my opinion.

    I may write a snail mail letter to Sprint and copy the CEO and the President.

    ****ers! I want my Pre 3 with 4G! NOW!
    Last edited by Mr._Happy; 02/11/2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: had to substitute handicapped for ********. Seriously?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions