Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Aren't T-Mobile and AT&T calling HSPA+ "4G"?

If so, the Pre3 is definitely a "4G" phone, it just doesn't support LTE or WiMAX.
    I think this is where the delay is, I think Sprint want HP to put in the WiMax chip. I hope they do. Time will tell.
    People need to be more open minded..

1) Just because you dont want 4G doesn't mean someone else doesn't.
    2) If someone would rather use 4G instead of a longer battery life that is their issue and not a justification for not including 4g.
    3) 4G is the up and coming thing. It is fair for someone to want it. If you think about getting locked into a 2 Year contract and can't afford to break it or buy a phone out-right than why wouldnt they want it now.
    4) Just because the Pre 3 was announced and doesn't have 4G doesn't mean another phone can't be announced later that does have LTE or WIMAX.
    5) Most people who object to 4G either don't have 4G or wouldnt want to pay extra for it. Think of new technology in any category and thats the way it works until it the norm, then most everybody wants it.
    6) ETC....
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    Actually neglecting "4G" technology would allow for a larger userbase. Imagine the average user, who walks into the sprint/verizon/att store looking to go from a feature phone to a smartphone. Or people who want to buy a family plan with 4 phones. that extra $10/phone for 4G can be quite a dealbreaker
    On Sprint, you pay the extra $10 a month for any new smartphone with data now, 4G or not. So the dealbreaker is the fact that you are gonna pay the same for data as someone who is going to enjoy much faster network speeds than you (and if they don't now they most likely will before their 2 year contract is up).
    As far as Verizon's LTE the latest I have heard is that the data plans will cost the same whether or not the person uses a 4G phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Aren't T-Mobile and AT&T calling HSPA+ "4G"? If so, the Pre3 is definitely a "4G" phone, it just doesn't support LTE or WiMAX.
    HSPA+ is really a joke to me. Tmobile has wretched HSPA+ coverage, besides the fact that Palm has never made a smartphone that is compatible with Tmobiles special AWS frequency bands for high speed data (which includes HSPA+). Additionally the announced specs for the Pre3 includes an HSPA+ antenna that once again does not match Tmobile's AWS frequency bands.

As far as AT&T, they have virtually zero HSPA+ coverage, and even when they do, they will be using it as a stopgap as they deploy their own LTE network.

To me, the best case scenario will be for HP to iron out a solid carrier agreement with Verizon and produce another version of the Pre3 that includes an LTE antenna. LTE is a far superior technology than WIMAX, with much better range and building penetration.
    It's so rare that I even get 3G speeds anyway, and now spring is coming, with more foliage, which means even LESS coverage. I'd be thrilled to see EV work consistently. As it is, 1X shows up way too often.
    Folks, remember that 4G is new. It's not ubiquitous and won't be for a while. AT&T's debacle with the iph*ne hogging their network is said to be a major reason why they are plopping down hotspots all over the place so I am using wifi whenever possible. For now at least, wifi also seems to draw a lot less battery power (another plus), and likely creates a lot less radiation.
    The only thing 4G's currently really speeding up is sales. It will be a while still before the technology matures, and most people who check sites like these change out their equipment so fast it won't even matter by then, will it? Relax, it's all good. You're falling prey to marketing hype. Don't give in!
    Last edited by copasetic; 02/16/2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors, there vs. their, ack!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    You know, of all the things to worry about, this one isn't on my radar. I live in an area that won't have 4G service until there is a 6G, so I'll never have use of WiMax, even though with Sprint I'll still have to pay for it.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    The only thing 4G's currently really speeding up is sales.
    YES! And webOS needs sales! That is the biggest reason why it needs to be included on the new HP/Palm phones.
    I have to admit this may be the lone factor to make me switch to an EVO. My area has 4G and if I have to pay an extra $10 anyways when I get a new phone this spring, I may as well go 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    YES! And webOS needs sales! That is the biggest reason why it needs to be included on the new HP/Palm phones.
    You are DEFINITELY correct. When the Pre3 goes up against stuff like the Atrix, even non tech users no how to read numbers. They don't really care that it's running iOS or Froyo or WebOS2. Put simply: 2 GHz is higher than 1.4GHz. Thinking about os this vs. That and processor efficiency doesn't matter on the surface. Function follows form . Companies know this. So do intel and AMD. Remember what they had to go through to convince the masses that a 1.86GHz dual core was better than a 3.2GHz single? Yeah yeah, it's efficiency not speed, but my brain STILL wants to go the wrong way..
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456