Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    ...4g is the emerging as the new standard for high speed data.... and Sprint is now charging $10 extra a month for data usage on new contracts signed after(march?) whether i use 4g or not...

Then why would I commit to a 1 year (for others a 2 year) contract to a phone that isn't 4g.

I love webOS to the point that i still run my sprint pre plus instead of upgrading to other more powerful devices.

Lets say I commit to a 3g Pre3. Well its going to be slower than the standard on the day its released, and two years later when we're finally eligible to upgrade... it will be like a damn dinosaur.

So why would I sign a contract for the Pre3?
    The $10 data charge for all smart phones has already launched. If you got a new phone today, you'd be paying it 4g or not. It's also goin to be a 2 year agreement, you might have upgrade elligibility in 1 year (as long as you're on an individual plan that is $89.99 or more, or a family plan that is $169.99).

Personally I don't think it's a necessity yet. The coverage just isn't there yet, and 3g is plenty fast.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMedina View Post
    4G is overrated right now. It's not in enough markets and 3G is good enough to do what you want the phone to do. Also remember, 4G isn't technically 4G.
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    It may be overrated at the moment but when you arre a year or so into your contract when it is available in more markets and everyone else has it then it will be a bigger deal. I think the biggest advantage will be for mobile hot spot and possibly even broadband replacement if the prices stay where they are. If you are paying 50 bucks a month for cable internet you may as well cut if you can get comparable speeds anywhere with 4G.
    [QUOTE=StuntmanMark;2865397]+1

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

first of all 4g isn't 4g at this time. Sprint is no where close to being 4g. Verizon is the closest.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a ****, but I don't understand the obsession with 4G. What do you guys need to do that requires faster than 3G speeds?

I'm asking this seriously, my use-model for my Pre is probably way different than you guys. Can you guys enlighten me to what you will be using 4G for? Streaming video? Downloads?

I see people posting in many threads that they are very upset about no 4G and I'm curious as to why cause I really don't need it. Plus, it seems like most carriers are going to throttle their next gen network, so you'd prob have to pay more for the fastest speeds (lame? yes, but that's what it looks like will happen).

Thanks,

Kevin
    Well for one, its nice to be able to watch a video without it pausing every five seconds to buffer in.
    4G is overrated right now. It's not in enough markets and 3G is good enough to do what you want the phone to do. Also remember, 4G isn't technically 4G.
    If 4G is where you live, why would you care how wide spread it is in other places? Why pass it up? Especially if it doesn't cost more.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Can the mods merge this thread with
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...wimax-lte.html
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I see people posting in many threads that they are very upset about no 4G and I'm curious as to why cause I really don't need it.
    For me personally, the so called "4G" isn't a dealbreaker. I am going to be getting a Pre3 no matter what.

However, I am a diehard webOS fan. I want the platform to succeed. I am afraid that if it doesn't sell, HP will abandon it, kinda like how Nokia is selling out to Microsoft.

Without "4G", webOS phones will be at a severe disadvantage sales wise. If a person who knows nothing about webOS is buying a smartphone, they are likely to compare the specs of phones before they even pick one up. Lack of "4G" is going to turn away a lot of people.

This isn't a matter of coverage, data speed, battery penalty, or price. It is a matter of marketability. Imagine trying to convince your friend to buy an HP phone. You tell them all the great thing, then they say "hey is it 4G?"
    If it was lte or wimax, more so wimax since I'm on sprint and they have the $10 fee, it would be perfect for me. If so it would be great also since I don't need wifi to use Skype and can do data and voice at the same time. Better fuctionality, productivity, and 100% multitasking.
    Screen res is great, I see retina as more of a marketing gimmick.
    Don't care for NFC or rfid stuff on my phone, still paranoid that someone can compromise my privacy by standing next to me.
    Don't care for 3d, not sure how that would play out for depth perception. I might go cookoo if it was a slab, good thing we have keyboards.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I thought HP was talking about all this and that about their could services and storage for webOS. HP Exec Explains Recent Acquisition Feeding Frenzy
    One would think 4g would only help hammer this talking point home.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    If 4G is where you live, why would you care how wide spread it is in other places? Why pass it up? Especially if it doesn't cost more.
    It's not about passing it up, I have "4G" available where I live but I don't care of a phone has it or not. I'm getting Pre 3 regardless. I don't need a phone that has 1.4 gHz processor to also have "4G" , I would like my battery to last more then 4-5 hrs. Imagine a phone with those specs, battery will be worst then Pre-. I'll keep 3G until battery tech catches up enough.
    It's not about passing it up, I have "4G" available where I live but I don't care of a phone has it or not. I'm getting Pre 3 regardless. I don't need a phone that has 1.4 gHz processor to also have "4G" , I would like my battery to last more then 4-5 hrs. Imagine a phone with those specs, battery will be worst then Pre-. I'll keep 3G until battery tech catches up enough.
    That's why the 4G radio has an On/Off switch. If your on Sprint, you're paying for 4G anyway... Why not have a phone that supports it?
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    Everybody that says they have 4G does have "4G". Sorry some technical body wanted to wait until after "4G" phones were announced and hitting the market to create a standard they no longer have any control over. It would be just like Palm launching the Pre and calling it the world's first smartphone because all smartphones actually have to have webOS. Ridiculous.
    The Nexus S has NFC, great. It doesn't have ANY 4G. HSPA+ or WiMax or LTE. The Nexus S doesn't have dual core, either. It's not even faster than 1GHz. I wish people in here would stop cherry-picking features from different phones because no phone offers the options people in here seem to want anyway.

NFC, Dual Core 1.2GHz+, 4.0"+ screen, WiMax/LTE/HSPA+, 1280x720p resolution, HDMI out, slab form, 2000+mAh battery, under 1/3" thick, 1080p video, 10MP camera, etc, etc.

The Pre3 is competitive with, if not better, than any smartphone currently available or announced this year IMHO.
    [QUOTE=omahawildcat;2865449][QUOTE=StuntmanMark;2865397]+1

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

first of all 4g isn't 4g at this time. Sprint is no where close to being 4g. Verizon is the closest.[/QUOTE]

actully if you look at the graphs anywhere it shows none can be considered 4G right now and speeds are simliar if not the same in regards to wimax and LTE right now. Only wimax 2 ( which is backwards comp with wimax) and Advance LTE are 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Nexus S has NFC, great. It doesn't have ANY 4G. HSPA+ or WiMax or LTE. The Nexus S doesn't have dual core, either. It's not even faster than 1GHz. I wish people in here would stop cherry-picking features from different phones because no phone offers the options people in here seem to want anyway.

NFC, Dual Core 1.2GHz+, 4.0"+ screen, WiMax/LTE/HSPA+, 1280x720p resolution, HDMI out, slab form, 2000+mAh battery, under 1/3" thick, 1080p video, 10MP camera, etc, etc.

The Pre3 is competitive with, if not better, than any smartphone currently available or announced this year IMHO.
    correct as well as the NFC chip inside the nexus S is disabled and was promised to be enabled in a update in dec, and nothing has been heard about it since. The Pre 3's specs are def competitive and they state the qualcam chip boasting 1.4 will be very hard for competitors to surpass this year.
    [QUOTE=wellwellwell11;2865591]
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post

actully if you look at the graphs anywhere it shows none can be considered 4G right now and speeds are simliar if not the same in regards to wimax and LTE right now. Only wimax 2 ( which is backwards comp with wimax) and Advance LTE are 4G.
    I was about to say something about that. If you read around on wiki (on LTE), they say they consider LTE more of a 3.9G. Than 4G
    Advanced LTE and WiMAX IEEE 802.16m are the only two in the 4G catagory.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Pre3 may be competitive today, but if it takes 6 months launch, it won't be. In 6 months, virtually all new smartphones launched will be "4G". The Pre3 is going to look old before it ever hits the shelves.

And remember, just because you don't have coverage now, doesn't mean you won't soon. Verizon is expanding their LTE coverage like crazy, and most people are going to lock themselves into a 2 year contract to get the Pre3. In the middle of my contract, when everyone is buying new LTE Android devices, how do I convince them that the Pre3 is better? It will always come back to "well is it 4G?"
    Its amazing how these carriers trumpet 4G, LTE, etc. while simultaneously working to scrap unlimited data plans.

Im not bothered really.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I understand your point, but I am not the average consumer. The average consumer has heard of "4G" and knows that carriers either have it or will have it soon. These new webOS phones aren't going to be competitive in today's market at all without LTE/WIMAX. The only people that buy them are going to be people that can't bear to part with webOS. HP/Palm needs a BIGGER user base, and neglecting "4G" technology is not the way to get it.
    Actually neglecting "4G" technology would allow for a larger userbase. Imagine the average user, who walks into the sprint/verizon/att store looking to go from a feature phone to a smartphone. Or people who want to buy a family plan with 4 phones. that extra $10/phone for 4G can be quite a dealbreaker
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast