Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    There won't be LTE for the Pre 3, Ruby said it best in the Engadget interview. They've missed a cycle, and this is the result. They're still in catch up mode.

So what I'm trying to say is... If you want bleeding edge everything spec wise then you're likely going to need to wait for Fall 2011 or CES 2012. They just aren't at full steam yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    I disagree in a sense. Your right 4G isn't slathered everywhere but it's around enough. Anyway, maybe with Sprint 4G this is the case. But not with Verizon's. First of all clearwire, the company building Sprint's 4G network, is going broke and they are slowing down big time on the rollout. Sprint has about 60 cities rolled out and they've been working since roughly 2007/8. Verizon on the other hand, began in ONE MONTH and nearly caught up to Sprint :/ They have a TON more markets in 2011 and with the cash they have, they are going to turbo-charge their rollout. Second of all, frequency. A little info. Higher frequency numbers travel very small distances and penetrate buildings terribly. Low frequencies, travel very far and rip through buildings like there is no tomorrow. Sprint 4G uses one of the very highest frequencies, 2500MHz or 2.5 Ghz. Verizon uses 700MHz for 4G the lowest (best) frequency for any cellular service YET. I am by no means a Sprint hater, I love them, but let me say I've used both and Sprint's 4G sucks. It totally doesn't get inside at all. I would have to stand by a window. Google it. There are tons of threads on it. Verizon's got in anywhere for me. Also, I live in Pittsburgh, look at how far Verizon's 4G goes out of the city vs. Sprint's. I pulled these directly from the websites. Keep in mind, Sprint started rolling out in 2008ish and Verizon flipped the switch in this past December. Then again it depends where you live and where you go. Also, to the OP, I agree I want the Pre 3 badly, but if it doesn't have 4G it could make me get a HTC ThunderBolt.
    Thanks for the picture, but everyone knows coverage maps are made to look like they have better coverage. Remember the Verizon vs ATT 3G wars where Verizon said they had 3G everywhere while ATT's was non-existant?

And even Sprint supposedly has 4 bars of signal in my area whereas they have none.
    After using the Evo, 4G is ok but the battery flies while on it. 4G usage is still in its infancy stages. Def needs to develop. I'll still take the Pre3 on EVDO but to each their own.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Thanks for the picture, but everyone knows coverage maps are made to look like they have better coverage. Remember the Verizon vs ATT 3G wars where Verizon said they had 3G everywhere while ATT's was non-existant?

And even Sprint supposedly has 4 bars of signal in my area whereas they have none.
    This is true. But, I am just saying these maps hold closely true to what my REAL LIFE tests have shown.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    If Sprint does somehow manage to get a pre3 in "early summer" that gives Sprint 2.5ish years from now to provide a significant 4g network. All the whilst I'd be on a contract with a 3g-only phone. It would just be nice to be able to use 4g when/where its available since I'd be paying for it whether or not I had a 4g phone.
    Been paying for 4G for almost a year now and finally I can use it where i live. Hated paing for it when It was not avaliable.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    The Snapdragon MSM8960 is expected to have LTE in addition to GSM and CDMA capabilities on the same chip. It's due sometime this year. Qualcomm has already surprised everyone with a new chip for the tablet, so maybe we'll see a new chip for the phone. After all, the Pre3 CPU is supposed to be 1.4GHz, and yet none of the listed Snapdragons that I can find clock at that speed.

We can hope.

It goes over Bluetooth, not a cloud synchronization. I'd imagine that the tap uses the accelerometers in both units, field interference on the Touchstone coils, and confirmation over Bluetooth to pick up on the need to synchronize.
    I though that but the footnotes for touch to share seem to dispute that as they note touch to share requires an active data connection.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    i agree, no 4g and no emerging tech like nfc, means this already outdated phone will sink without a trace.

Carriers won't carry it as they really want devices to drive customers into using lte/wimax etc.

HPalm has totally missed the bus... Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    There is hope for 4G on your pre3 yet. If you look in the wiki it shows the pre3 and the HTC thunderbolt as having the same version of MSM8655 chipset and if you don't already know the thunderbolt will support Verizon's lte network. Also if you look at the evo's chipset you'll notice wimax support is not listed. I think all this shows is wimax and lte use a separate chip to enable the use of 4G, so there is a chance.
    Interesting observations there.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    i agree, no 4g and no emerging tech like nfc, means this already outdated phone will sink without a trace.

Carriers won't carry it as they really want devices to drive customers into using lte/wimax etc.

HPalm has totally missed the bus... Again.
    nfc hasn't be announced for any phone except rumors for the next iPhone. The tech for the bump to share (with the touchpad) hasn't been explained. It could be bluetooh, wifi or nfc for all we know.
    I would buy a 4G phone in a heartbeat
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Well, the Pre 3 is HPSA+ (Also 4G according to ITU). Also, in my country there aren't still any operable LTE or WiMax networks but there are HSPA+, so I give a ***** whether it is WiMax/LTE or not.
    first there is nothing pointing to Verizon getting the Pre 3 where did you get that info. It has more pointing to sprint even on precentral with their insiders stating so.

New Palm devices headed for Sprint? | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

second they still can add a 4G radio in the device by the summer during production, and if they dont even their new kyrocera device is just 3G which they had its own event so not being 4G at this point says nothing. I had a Evo for 4 months and the 4G speeds yet fast was not a deal breaker for me, I returned to a Sprint pre and plussed it and OC its as fast as my EVO was before I sold it. 4G right now is def a selling point, but not that much right now, in another year I think it will be a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    nfc hasn't be announced for any phone except rumors for the next iPhone. The tech for the bump to share (with the touchpad) hasn't been explained. It could be bluetooh, wifi or nfc for all we know.
    no nexus s has nfc chip and it came out in december 2010.
    you beat me to it. Yes nexus s has got it and its the next big thing. IPhone5 will make it mainstream, instead of pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    no nexus s has nfc chip and it came out in december 2010.
    I stand corrected. So what has the nfc done for the nexus s? You need an ecosystem to support it and google didnttake advantage of it. It's just a pretty spec sheet plus for nerds to pat themselves on the back that they have.

apple on the other hand will take full advantage of nfc. But again can anyone explain how the touchpad and pre 3 and veer communicate?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Until the 4G radio gets more efficient with battery management, its not worth it. My last phone I tried for several weeks, I only turned on the 4G probably 6 times otherwise it would just suck down the battery.

NFC sounds really good, but its like 4G when it was released. There are only going to be very very limited amount of places you can use it. It's not going to be big for another two years.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I'm not trying to be a <<mod delete>>, but I don't understand the obsession with 4G. What do you guys need to do that requires faster than 3G speeds?

I'm asking this seriously, my use-model for my Pre is probably way different than you guys. Can you guys enlighten me to what you will be using 4G for? Streaming video? Downloads?

I see people posting in many threads that they are very upset about no 4G and I'm curious as to why cause I really don't need it. Plus, it seems like most carriers are going to throttle their next gen network, so you'd prob have to pay more for the fastest speeds (lame? yes, but that's what it looks like will happen).

Thanks,

Kevin
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/12/2011 at 05:53 PM.
    4G is overrated right now. It's not in enough markets and 3G is good enough to do what you want the phone to do. Also remember, 4G isn't technically 4G.
    You'll learn quickly that people just like to complain.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast