Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Even if my phone had 4G, I wouldn't use it.

Nobody I know with 4G Wimax phones ever use it either. They say it's not worth the battery drain.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I would rather have 4G with a toggle than not have it at all. As it is I toggle my 3G data off when I'm not using the phone.

To all the people who disagree with me, just remember, the Pre3 will be launching against a horde of LTE android phones. I'm not talking about current phones, I'm talking about the upcoming phones the Pre3 will actually be competing against. Lack of LTE / WIMAX is a severe handicap.

And remember, while you may be ok signing a contract this summer that you won't need "4G" for two years, I am not ok with it.

WebOS desperately needs a larger user base, and HP is just shooting themselves in the foot not including "4G".
    Most of the country doesn't have "4G" coverage. I'm in a city with no wimax and it's amazing all the EVO's and Epics I see. These people are paying $10/month for a service they can't use. HP will make 4G devices at some point if they don't already have something in the works. 3G is fine for me when I'm going around town and it's nicer on my battery too. Wifi options are plenty.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Yea I dont recall there being any mention about the Pre3 being specifically slated for 4G but I am sure they are probably going to keep that under wraps until closer time to launch. Otherwise what really would be the point in adding dual cameras? Not like you can video chat over 3G...

I personally dont get all the secrecy tho. I'd say just lay down the gauntlet and get it out as soon as possible!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    You can video chat over 3G, just not on an iphone cus they dont ALLOW it, not because it isnt possible.

I dont care about 4G either way. It would be nice to have a toggle option, but 4G just isnt available where I live, nor the majority of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    You can video chat over 3G, just not on an iphone cus they dont ALLOW it, not because it isnt possible.

I dont care about 4G either way. It would be nice to have a toggle option, but 4G just isnt available where I live, nor the majority of the country.
    It is still available in most major metropolitan areas, and even medium size ones like mine. The point is 4G (in one flavor or another) isn't going away, so why leave it out of your new flagship device? It's such a glaring omission that I can't believe HP will come to market without it - they're just holding off publicizing it for one of the many reasons theorized here.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Yea I dont recall there being any mention about the Pre3 being specifically slated for 4G but I am sure they are probably going to keep that under wraps until closer time to launch.
    It's horrible marketing to hold out on such an important feature until launch. All that does is drive everyone to devices with confirmed features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Like I said, hopefully that is the reason for the delay till summer. However, adding another radio to a smartphone isn't the same as adding a PCI card to your computer. These phones are designed to be efficient with space. Do you really think they just left an empty spot inside the phone to add another antenna?
    Actually, it's a lot like swapping out a PCI card on a PC. Look over the thread on +'ing a Sprint Pre -. You've just got a smaller case to work in.
    Last edited by sinime; 02/11/2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Yea well there is great 4G right at my house and I would love to have a 4G WebOS device. Lets hope that the Pre3 comes with Sprint with 4G since we have to pay the extra 10 bucks anyways.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    if 4g is so critical then why hasn't Verizon released a phone yet? They have LTE up and running in plenty of markets?
    more than 10 devices were announced at CES that will rock 4G LTE. Many will begin being released in March (next month) and more mid-year.

Where are the huge sales for the EVO shift?
    Sprint Claims Record Sales For HTC Evo 4G - PCWorld

the EVO 4g was Sprint's first 4G phone, not the shift.

from the article: "Sprint claims Friday marked the largest quantity of a single phone it sold in one day, with the Evo 4G beating the previous records the carrier held with the Samsung Instinct and the Palm Pre."

By your standards Metro PCS should be the largest cell phone company by next month since they have the most LTE phones available. They must be flying off the shelves.
    You do realize that Metro PCS is a peanut shop compared to the major telcos right? Most customers looking for good service aren't going to trust smaller companies although many are starting to. Besides, as reports already said Metro PCS's first 4G phones were terrible with web browsing, not because of the service.

honestly the success of the Pre 3 will be because of marketing. 4g at this point is a one trick pony that for sprint already been tricked out.
    No argument here although it will take more than marketing to make the Pre 3 since there's nothing but vaporware right now. People didn't wait months to hear that the phone would be released even "more months away". Sure the phone sounds great now with a 1.4Ghz processor, but it's not here yet! It'd be like Apple holding a press conference for a 2ghz phone that won't be released until Christmas! Who knows what will come out by then and what the competition will hold. HP had a chance to release the 1st LTE phone on Verizon. That could've made quite an attention grabber, but they let it slip.

I stand by cwgtex's argument. If I'm going into a Verizon store, do you really think the "classy" sales reps are going to try and sell a 3g phone over a "new and shiny 4g" one? Besides, I too agree that I'm not going to buy hardware at the tail end of it's acceptance. I'm stuck with that phone for at least 2 years and 2 years from now LTE will be on far more towers.
    Agreed, 4G is not a dealbreaker for me. I don't have 4G coverage where I'm at with no definite roll-out plan, so why bother? Instead of putting in 4G capability, give me a great phone instead with a good battery life that will last all day with decent use, reasonable sized screen, great apps, great quality, feel, fit and finish and I'm sold.

(Also, anyone on SERO is going to love a non 4G phone because they won't have to pay an extra $10/month)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Even if my phone had 4G, I wouldn't use it.

Nobody I know with 4G Wimax phones ever use it either. They say it's not worth the battery drain.
    Well unfortunately that's your small world. Where I work, quite a number of our employees switched from an iphone to the EVO and love it. Not only that, but they LOVE the 4G network. They wouldn't consider coming back to a 3g phone again. So there are differences in opinion my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    Agreed, 4G is not a dealbreaker for me. I don't have 4G coverage where I'm at with no definite roll-out plan, so why bother? Instead of putting in 4G capability, give me a great phone instead with a good battery life that will last all day with decent use, reasonable sized screen, great apps, great quality, feel, fit and finish and I'm sold.

(Also, anyone on SERO is going to love a non 4G phone because they won't have to pay an extra $10/month)
    it's called an iphone 4g
    Personally, I'm happier with the mention of worldphone capabilities than the lack of 4G.
    Iphone 4g is a 4th gen iphone lol it is not a 4g capable phone ha ha !! Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Iphone 4g is a 4th gen iphone lol it is not a 4g capable phone ha ha !! Lol

who said it was 4g?
    There hasn't been an anouncment of the Pre 3 on Sprint, so when/if that announcement comes, they could have wimax radio avalible.

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Like I said, hopefully that is the reason for the delay till summer. However, adding another radio to a smartphone isn't the same as adding a PCI card to your computer. These phones are designed to be efficient with space. Do you really think they just left an empty spot inside the phone to add another antenna?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Actually, it's a lot like swapping out a PCI card on a PC. Look over the thread on +'ing a Sprint Pre -. You've just got a smaller case to work in.
    I don't need to look over the plusing thread because I did it to my Sprint Pre. I am fully aware of how it works. In that instance, you are swapping a radio board with GSM out for one with CDMA. A one for one swap of the same size board.

I didn't say swapping, I said adding. I haven't heard of any cell phone radio chips that have a CDMA/LTE or CMDA/WIMAX combo on the same chip (please someone prove me wrong on this!). Thus, adding LTE or WIMAX to an existing phone would necessitate adding another chip. It is unlikely that Palm just left an empty space to drop in a "4G" chip.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Why does it matter?

LTE or any version of "4G" is barely available, and it won't be for a while...
    Matters to me! Sprint 4G is starting to show up in my home town.

It appears that 4G is being turned on around Fort Myers and Lee County. We have good coverage in South Fort Myers on Metro and Daniels Rd area. We are also seeing areas in Cape Coral.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    To me what's more puzzling is the lack of NFC - which is going to be the next big thing (in terms of apps and commercial transactions). I assumed that touch to share was based on NFC but instead it seems to rely on the some complex cloud based intermediary.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast