Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Um, okay? I was actually talking about HP and the discussion that you were talking about Specifically, HP lying to us. I did state what you quoted, but it was not the only thing I said.

I stand by what I said. HP did not lie, they failed. Hopefully they do not fail on their promise again.
    I think you have said it better than anyone. They failed to live up to their promise. Does it sting? Yes, and for some more than others. Henry Ford failed several times in creating Ford Motor Comp., but it's pretty obvious today that he learned from his mistakes. Let's see what HPalm learns from their mistakes. Whatever they do to make up for this, they still aren't gonna make everyone happy, thats just un-realistic.

I never fully expected them make webOS 2.0 work correctly on the pre/pre+, so I'm not that let down, but I understand why others are.

-Sent from my Palm Tungsten C-
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Ummmm... what are they, a charity?!

Oh, this iPhone 3g is old now... Apple should totally buy it back and give me a brand new iPhone 4!

That'll happen.
    Shh, you think I would actually do that? pfft.. I am just giving them ideas, play along dude!

They said they would make it right.. im excited to see what that means. (but not too excited, Palm lets me down more than santa)

But really there is no comparison here.
    the iphone 3g (2.0-4.2) is still incredibly capable and got an update as recent as nov 2010.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    It is more than extremely unlikely that HP will do a buyback program and there's no way it would be for more than $50 off a phone if they somehow decided to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    I kinda see your point and theirs. Lets face it, Pre minus is 2 yrs old now (from announce) 18 months from release. I doubt too many G1 users are storming the castles of Android for not putting froyo or gingerbread on their oldest phones. It would be ok to let the Pre- ride off into the sunset, EXCEPT there's no phone to upgrade to without switching carriers. Not sure if blame is more with sprint or HP, but that sucks.

Maybe the new server they are donating to webOS-Internals will have a semi-official webos2.0 on it that also includes an overclock to 800 mhz to eek out the last few months until *fingers crossed* hopefully there will be a Sprint (and all carriers) option for newest webos Hardware.
    HP/palm -doesn't- have a valid point here.

18 months isn't -that- long, and my pre minus is humming along at 1.1ghz (that's as fast as virtually any current generation phone processor) running anything I care to throw at it (and -yes- it can run webos 2.0 -just fine-, I've SEEN it). If they gave us a 2.0 doctor "officially" we could sit here, talk about it, patch the hell out of it, and make it work. 2.0 running on a Pre minus with an overclock would be great. Hell, 2.0 will run just fine on a pre minus -without- an overclock (flash might not be super-amazing @ 500 mhz, but who cares). You can't tell me that HP doesn't have the cash or the manpower to push out a 2.0 update for such a large portion of their early adopter palm loyalists.

I'm months and months away from my contract's expiration (as are most of the Pre minus's early adopters on 2 year plans), and was really looking forward to finally having most of the features my phone was supposed to have in the first handful of months after release. I expected 2/9/11 to be a good day for my Pre, and instead, it was a funeral. With no upgrade path for my phone and apparently no devices headed to sprint, I have no reason to stick it out with Palm. I'm not going to jump ship on Sprint (and my -extremely- good corporate rate) in order to get my hands on a clearly sub-par Pre 3 tied to a network that is going to cost me hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars more per year.

Hell, lets face it, the Pre3 as it has been described is already a flop. They've decided to fragment the community making it less likely that quality developers will expand on the already VERY anemic app catalog, showed us a phone that won't be out until sometime this summer, and ultimately showed us hardware that honestly wouldn't look extremely compelling VS it's primary competition if it was coming out TODAY. Hell, it's not even 4g or wimax or LTE! At least when my Pre minus came out it had some -good- things going for it that the competition lacked. Amazing multitasking, clean UI. Nowadays, iphone multitasks and android has come leaps-and-bounds from the clunky G1 days. Today, the pre lacks a wow factor, and the Pre 3 did NOTHING to bring it back.

All the potential in the world, squandered. Then they add insult to injury and tell me they aren't even going to bother continuing to support the phone I already have.

There's a reason almost every single post regarding this is extremely negative. This has seriously hit a nerve with the loyal early adopters who've kept palm alive over the years.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 02/11/2011 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    HP/palm -doesn't- have a valid point here.

18 months isn't -that- long, and my pre minus is humming along at 1.1ghz running anything I care to throw at it (and -yes- it can run webos 2.0 -just fine-, I've SEEN it). If they gave us a 2.0 doctor "officially" we could sit here, talk about it, patch the hell out of it, and make it work. 2.0 running on a Pre minus with an overclock would be great. Hell, 2.0 will run just fine on a pre minus -without- an overclock (flash might not be super-amazing @ 500 mhz, but who cares). You can't tell me that HP doesn't have the cash or the manpower to push out a 2.0 update for such a large portion of their early adopter palm loyalists.

I'm months and months away from my contract's expiration (as are most of the Pre minus's early adopters on 2 year plans), and was really looking forward to finally having most of the features my phone was supposed to have in the first handful of months after release. I expected 2/9/11 to be a good day for my Pre, and instead, it was a funeral. With no upgrade path for my phone and apparently no devices headed to sprint, I have no reason to stick it out with Palm. I'm not going to jump ship on Sprint (and my -extremely- good corporate rate) in order to get my hands on a clearly sub-par Pre 3 tied to a network that is going to cost me hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars more per year.

Hell, lets face it, the Pre3 as it has been described is already a flop. They've decided to fragment the community making it less likely that quality developers will expand on the already VERY anemic app catalog, showed us a phone that won't be out until sometime this summer, and ultimately showed us hardware that honestly wouldn't look extremely compelling VS it's primary competition if it was coming out TODAY. At least when my Pre minus came out it had some -good- things going for it that the competition lacked. Amazing multitasking, clean UI. Nowadays, iphone multitasks and android has come leaps-and-bounds from the clunky G1 days. The pre lacks a wow factor, and the Pre 3 did NOTHING to bring it back.

All the potential in the world, squandered. Then they add insult to injury and tell me they aren't even going to bother continuing to support the phone I already have.

There's a reason almost every single post regarding this is extremely negative. This has seriously hit a nerve with the loyal early adopters who've kept palm alive over the years.
    The complete and utter truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    It is more than extremely unlikely that HP will do a buyback program and there's no way it would be for more than $50 off a phone if they somehow decided to.
    You're basing the "more than extremely unlikely on" ??? What?

IF they do offer more than $50 - since you said "no way", does that mean you promised something incorrectly (notice, I didn't say lie, I think folks are entitled to mistakes)?

Seriously though, if they do offer more than that, is that "good enough" for you?

How about if they offer a WebOS Dr option to wipe folks devices, if they so choose? Wouldn't that then be fulfilling their promise? Since they didn't really offer a date, it's not too late.

And that rhymed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The fact that they still have to make a profit.
    Phones really aren't...generally...high profit margin devices to begin with.

Seriously though, if they do offer more than that, is that "good enough" for you?

How about if they offer a WebOS Dr option to wipe folks devices, if they so choose? Wouldn't that then be fulfilling their promise? Since they didn't really offer a date, it's not too late.

And that rhymed!
    Nothing can change the fact that they lied twice.
    They can try to heal the wound but the fact is they have started this off showing that they are unorganized and will make statements they cannot fulfill...just like Palm.

IF they do offer more than $50 - since you said "no way", does that mean you promised something incorrectly (notice, I didn't say lie, I think folks are entitled to mistakes)?

And that rhymed!
    What's the point of your post parsons? Really?

If HP gave $50 it would pretty amazing. More than $50 even more amazing.

Apple gave a $100 Gift card to early iphone buyers after changing the print from $599 - $399.

Verizon is giving Kin users a 3g smartphone of their choice.

Somewhere in that range would be pretty nice.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    i don't believe the Pre 3 is a flop at all.

its no super phone, but as I've said before its a very respectable upgrade over the pre 2 and many people are happy with it. the rest are just sad they didn't get a slab...yet.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...hp-4-slab.html
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i don't believe the Pre 3 is a flop at all.

its no super phone, but as I've said before its a very respectable upgrade over the pre 2 and many people are happy with it. the rest are just sad they didn't get a slab...yet.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...hp-4-slab.html
    You're using a precentral poll to prove your point?

I was slammed for doing so:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-reaction.html

Even though my points have been proven and accepted by the community and abroad [other forums, palm itself, reviewers].

So, no sorry, you don't get to use that to prove anything.

Moreover, if HP is going to revive WebOS it has to do so with more than just the few hundred precentral people
    Frankly I don't really care that they aren't going to give the Pre webOS 2.whatever

I've sort of been dreading it. I have a lot of patches, am overclocked and have customized the GUI fairly specifically. The reports that the new version was going to wipe everything just sounded like a big headache after working to get this thing to behave the way I want it.

If I'm going to have to lose all that, then I want, and better get, a hardware upgrade that makes it worth the trouble. If that were true, or even if it seems like it will be true soon I'm in. If not... hmm. iPhone on Verizon? Replacement Pre and Pre+ from eBay and get a Franken-Pre+ until I figure what to do? What are my options?

So for me the vague release date, lack of carrier info, specifics on 4G, pricing, etc. -- essentially the total lack of concrete information, is a huge concern.

I don't, at this point, trust it will all work out the way I hope will - but I do still hope it will.

The note saying "sorry we'll make it up to you" is fine and all. If they do something cool, cool. If not... iPhone on Verizon?

Hmm...
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    you could always find an old sprint pre on ebay? lol. probably would cost less than the discount you would get.
    LOL or get one from craigslist! There is always one there some where.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I think you have said it better than anyone. They failed to live up to their promise. Does it sting? Yes, and for some more than others. Henry Ford failed several times in creating Ford Motor Comp., but it's pretty obvious today that he learned from his mistakes. Let's see what HPalm learns from their mistakes. Whatever they do to make up for this, they still aren't gonna make everyone happy, thats just un-realistic.

I never fully expected them make webOS 2.0 work correctly on the pre/pre+, so I'm not that let down, but I understand why others are.

-Sent from my Palm Tungsten C-
    Well thanks my friend.
    hearing us and doing something are 2 different things, they should have known better then to say things they have no intension on doing. No one pulled there tongues, they should come out with a slab, and they should bring all these toys to sprint and make huge huge promo push. Otherwise within few months there won't be a webOS community, cause we all can agree on one thing if hp doesn't improve most of us will move on to other toys, sprint should also sit up and listen cause lot of people here will jump to other carriers and sprint dual crap phone won't hold anyone to stay with sprint. Lets see what happens by end of feb. Lets give them 2 weeks to get carrier and give us info about update. If nothing changes and sprint no pick up hp I am out to get iphone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    hearing us and doing something are 2 different things, they should have known better then to say things they have no intension on doing...
    See, that's the problem with this "discussion" - hyperbole.

They did intend on doing it.
    Hp/Palm doesnt owe any previous owners anything. When you buy something, you get what you buy, not what a company promises to put on it 2 years from when you buy it. Are you kidding me? If someone is ignorant enough to buy something with a promise of it will be on there, then they deserve to feel screwed.

I am 100% excited about the news the past few days, becuase it sounds like HP finally understands what sells phones, apps. They have had a lot to say about apps over the last few days and its very encouraging.

I love the design of the Pre3 and the Touchpad. I was stoked during and after the event on feb 9. I couldnt belive all the haters that came from PReCentral to bash our favorite OS. Its like if you didnt get EXACTLY what you wanted, you were here complaning about why they didnt announce a custom phone for you. Get real. Everyone here obviously like the form factor at one point. The entire blogosphere/mobile industry has given the new devices a lot of props. They all seem to love it. Its like the only people who are disappointed are the ones on P|C.

Everyone needs to take a step back and notice that there is something coming in a short while (unless you're 12 yrs old, 6 months will fly by...we all know it). Lets get excited that we have news trickling out again. Good news. I've been backing webOS this long, I'm not about to turn my back now that its getting good.

I just want to add that there was a lot of talk about people not even upgrading to 2.0 because it would break a lot of their patches. Lets not forget (atleast for me), webOS 1.45 run really good and has a lot of features.
    See, that's the problem with this "discussion" - hyperbole.

They did intend on doing it.
    Well since they can't change the past then need to realize that the main problem is how it was found out that there would be no upgrades that made it worse. They really should have announced it sooner and not have been found out in informal meetings that would have given time for people to get mad and cool off and then focus on the new stuff coming out. Unfortunately some people are angrier then me and can't seem to get past it. Yes it was a crappy thing to do but they have responded and that is more then some companies will do. I say we watch and see what happens over the next couple months. I have decided to give them a Year as being an Hp company before totally writing them off as they most likely couldn't get much work done in the transition period.

Overall I'm impressed with HP's quick response to the outcry and well it may seem like trying to "buy" people off(to some people at least) it really helped me realize that no other company is as homebrew friendly as Palm/hp is. I mean I don't think apple is going to donate a server to Cydia(sp?) anytime soon.

On another note I posted many times how I thought the form factor was wrong. But I love webos and after watching videos of it in action I actually kind of like there phones and tablet. Although that doesn't necessarily matter since I liked the pre originally and that didn't work so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Hp/Palm doesnt owe any previous owners anything. When you buy something, you get what you buy, not what a company promises to put on it 2 years from when you buy it. Are you kidding me? If someone is ignorant enough to buy something with a promise of it will be on there, then they deserve to feel screwed.

I am 100% excited about the news the past few days, becuase it sounds like HP finally understands what sells phones, apps. They have had a lot to say about apps over the last few days and its very encouraging.

I love the design of the Pre3 and the Touchpad. I was stoked during and after the event on feb 9. I couldnt belive all the haters that came from PReCentral to bash our favorite OS. Its like if you didnt get EXACTLY what you wanted, you were here complaning about why they didnt announce a custom phone for you. Get real. Everyone here obviously like the form factor at one point. The entire blogosphere/mobile industry has given the new devices a lot of props. They all seem to love it. Its like the only people who are disappointed are the ones on P|C.

Everyone needs to take a step back and notice that there is something coming in a short while (unless you're 12 yrs old, 6 months will fly by...we all know it). Lets get excited that we have news trickling out again. Good news. I've been backing webOS this long, I'm not about to turn my back now that its getting good.

I just want to add that there was a lot of talk about people not even upgrading to 2.0 because it would break a lot of their patches. Lets not forget (atleast for me), webOS 1.45 run really good and has a lot of features.
    Amen! It's funny people on a Apple fan site are more excited them people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Ok I don't totally agree with this. Unfortunately there has been a history of "something coming in a short while" and actually that is what upset me the most personally is that there is no clear plan, no carriers, no estimated prices. They currently don't have a very good record of releasing things that they say are coming soon. Flash, 2.0, Etc. But I'm past the update I don't even care if my old pre sitting in the drawer gets 2.0. After pulling it out and looking at it, IT is OLD hardware now. I think they just need to plan better and I'm honestly not sure why they didn't wait for the event when they had some prototype devices with no clear release schedule....
    I'm not sure why anyone expects HP to provide some sort of monetary benefit to current Pre\Pixi owners. Not that I have my ear to the rail constantly, but this practice is unheard for considering the situation.

I have a G1 Pre on Sprint. I just want an update that provides the enhancements that were reported to be coming to our phones for over a year now. I don't care what rev. they call it.

The way I see it, if HP had gone that route in the first place. They would have more people lining up for the Pre 2 and Pre 3. Now, I see them losing alot of revenue on this.
    My thought, HP just wanted the OS, the wireless phones are not close to being the business they want to put a great deal of effort in.
    Just_Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    Ok I don't totally agree with this. Unfortunately there has been a history of "something coming in a short while" and actually that is what upset me the most personally is that there is no clear plan, no carriers, no estimated prices. They currently don't have a very good record of releasing things that they say are coming soon. Flash, 2.0, Etc. But I'm past the update I don't even care if my old pre sitting in the drawer gets 2.0. After pulling it out and looking at it, IT is OLD hardware now. I think they just need to plan better and I'm honestly not sure why they didn't wait for the event when they had some prototype devices with no clear release schedule....
    This is purely a guess, but I am speculating that they wanted to set up a yearly announcement schedule like Apple. But they wanted to position themselves ahead of Apple so that they arent drowned out by their press every year. Just a guess.

To all your other complaints, HP doesnt owe you anything. Regardless if you think buying their phone makes it that way, it doesnt. Besides honoring the warranty, HP owes you nada.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast