Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    By all means, be optimistic. More power to you, and good luck with that. I think my optimism got squashed yesterday, and I'm not going to be cutting HP any more slack until and unless they do manage to do something right for the zealo . . . er, webOS faithful. ;-)

Better than hakuna matata, how about an "Oprah" moment. They give everyone free hardware, and a free trip to Australia to pick up said hardware. *snicker*
    Eh, a trip to Australia would be a nice return for the webOS faithful, no?

Anyways, I think I'm just used to getting screwed over by Android OEMs and their updates. I may be a little more lenient with HP than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I think HP was surprised to see such a up roar from us here, I think they made mistake and will try to make good, I hope they also heard about getting in bed with Sprint and lets see if Sprint heard us as well. Lets give them few weeks to work on this, I think we will be able to install it threw the USB connection, download to our PC's/Mac's and install it that way, honestly it doesnt matter to me how I install it long as I get 2.x for now till I jump to Pre 3 if Sprint gets it. Lets all hope for the best.
    I think you're right on the expected response, that they didn't think people would be that concerned, and I think you're also right about how they will resolve it.

I see two possible scenarios. They will offer WebOS Doctor instead of OTA, with warnings to back up your data first, or they will offer substantial discounts on a purchase of another device.

Maybe they'll offer a free case too.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You said two different things. In the first, you said "know", in the last, you said "think". They thought they could.
    And there's the crux. They thought they could. And you're avoiding the question. What would you have them do, now that they've discovered they can't?

I also think there's some irony in the fact that every example you just gave has a legal "out" option for those that discover they can't.
    You know what? I honestly think HP could have figured out a way to get 2.0 to work with the older phones. I think they had a change in business strategy, decided to concentrate on new hardware and failed to realize the backlash against them would be this bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Are you done playing with my word choice to excuse what HP did?

They lied to you and all pre/pre+/pixi/pixi+ users.

That's all there is to it.
    They LIED.
    I notice you still haven't answered the question, but since you seem to be pretty hung up on "lies" by big companies, remember when a certain fruit company promised their next device would "twice as fast for half the price? When said device came out, it didn't meet that promise.
    Their response was that customers could not "have reasonably relied on or misunderstood *****'s statements as claims of fact".

Was that a lie?
    Was it a broken promise?
    Maybe a guarantee?
    Are you using their phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by gtman55 View Post
    You know what? I honestly think HP could have figured out a way to get 2.0 to work with the older phones. I think they had a change in business strategy, decided to concentrate on new hardware and failed to realize the backlash against them would be this bad.
    They did figure out a way. It even got pirated and passed around. It didn't work the way they wanted it to.

I'm sure had they released it, there would have been some that said they should not have done it until it was pefect, no matter how long it took.

However, what's done is done. I'll ask you the same question I've asked before. What would you have them do now?
    I notice you still haven't answered the question, but since you seem to be pretty hung up on "lies" by big companies, remember when a certain fruit company promised their next device would "twice as fast for half the price? When said device came out, it didn't meet that promise.
    Their response was that customers could not "have reasonably relied on or misunderstood *****'s statements as claims of fact".

Was that a lie?
    Was it a broken promise?
    Maybe a guarantee?
    Are you using their phone?
    Dude, I don't care about what other companies might have done in the past.
    I don't care what word you want to assign to it.

There was NO CONFUSION.

Hp said, flat out, that they would be releasing 2.0 to all the old devices.
    They committed to it.

They, yesterday, went back on that by saying they are not going to.

When you tell someone you're committed to doing something and then you rescind on that, you lied.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Clear and consistent communication is one of the most important things.
    Now if HP can tell us when they Will tell us what reparations they are making to users and developers we will be one step closer.

be clear, precise, and honest. Firm dates help
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    When you tell someone you're committed to doing something and then you rescind on that, you lied
    When you signed on here, you did agreed to use the forums in a certain way. This is thread is about HP saying they've heard the feedback, not about promises they made in the past.

In other words, you're taking the thread off topic with your constant "they lied" stuff. You're breaking your agreement.

Did you lie, or are you just getting a bit carried away?

I know, I know, you'll take this back to something that isn't really the point of the thread. Whatever makes you feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Clear and consistent communication is one of the most important things.
    Now if HP can tell us when they Will tell us what reparations they are making to users and developers we will be one step closer.

be clear, precise, and honest. Firm dates help
    I agree. Not only should they tell us "when" they're going to make reparations, they should do it soon. How soon do you think they should?
    When you signed on here, you did agreed to use the forums in a certain way. This is thread is about HP saying they've heard the feedback, not about promises they made in the past.

In other words, you're taking the thread off topic with your constant "they lied" stuff. You're breaking your agreement.

Did you lie, or are you just getting a bit carried away?

I know, I know, you'll take this back to something that isn't really the point of the thread. Whatever makes you feel good.
    What in the world?
    Now you're going to consider the lie, which is what the feedback this thread is talking about is pertaining to, is off topic?

Man, just move on if you have nothing more to add to the discussion.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    hparsons, I guess you're able to step back and look at this differently than myself and others here like Mattykinsx. All we're saying is that we're loyal owners and HP told us (on their site in black and white) that we were going to get an update that would make our phones better. We waited patiently. Then the truth comes out and it turns out that what seemed to be a promise was broken. HP has kind of cut off it's nose to spite it's face, I think. If webOS had any shot to make it in the marketplace, they needed the current, loyal owners on their side. Instead a lot of us feel like they abandoned us.
    ...Man, just move on if you have nothing more to add to the discussion.
    Thanks, but I'll pass. I realize you feel "they lied, they lied, they lied" is "adding to the discussion", but I do not.

I've answered every questions you've asked me.

Now, I'll repeat the one that really does pertain to the original post. If what they cannot make the promised upgrade (there was never a promise of an OTA upgrade) work they way they want, without damaging existing profiles, without erasing data directories. If they cannot do that, and you disagree with what they have offered to do, what would you have them do instead?
    The real problem is they are not updating the old phones, but we can't buy new ones, especially if one is on sprint as most of us are.
    Thanks, but I'll pass. I realize you feel "they lied, they lied, they lied" is "adding to the discussion", but I do not.

I've answered every questions you've asked me.

Now, I'll repeat the one that really does pertain to the original post. If what they cannot make the promised upgrade (there was never a promise of an OTA upgrade) work they way they want, without damaging existing profiles, without erasing data directories. If they cannot do that, and you disagree with what they have offered to do, what would you have them do instead?
    I wouldn't be in their position.

As I said, a multi-billion dollar company should be confirming they can doings and WILL do things before promising it.

It's just that simple.
    Bull. Their announcement will answer 1/10 of the complaints and it'll be the wrong 10%. The one they need to answer is releasing the devices within a few weeks. Anything else is a waste of time.

As I said, a multi-billion dollar company should be confirming they can doings and WILL do things before promising it.

It's just that simple.
    Of course not. First, you have to figure out how to be a multi-billion dollar company.

But, I agree. Neither Apple nor HP should make promises, then not keep them. I'll give HP credit though, they didn't say "you shouldn't have believed us" they said "we're working on something we hope will make it right".
    Of course not. First, you have to figure out how to be a multi-billion dollar company.

::facepalm::

I know this:

If they think lying straight up to their customers is a good way to run a business they will be finding a new business sooner rather than later.

If they cannot handle something as simple as this then they are screwed when it comes to rebuilding WebOS.
    I don't think Mattykinsx owned a Palm Pre when HP made that promise.
    this is true. he stated in a previous post that he owns an Evo. so i dont know why hes so flustered hes not getting 2.0 when he has a phone hes happy with?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    this is true. he stated in a previous post that he owns an Evo. so i dont know why hes so flustered hes not getting 2.0 when he has a phone hes happy with?
    Who do you people think you are?

You don't get to determine why I may be upset about something.

My mom has my old Pre now, for your information.

And lying is lying.
    It shows how serious, or not serious, a company is.

They lied twice yesterday.

That shows the type of company they are.

You guys need to learn to focus less on this name calling and questioning people's motives for posting and more on the discussion at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    They give everyone free hardware, and a free trip to Australia to pick up said hardware. *snicker*
    then we could get them autographed by Rod Whitby while we're there.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast