Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    I just hope Sprint gets a phone (PRE3) by June so I can dump my PRE -. Its still runs great but I think the screen protector is the only thing that has stopped the USB crack from spreading across the screen. I don't like Android so please HP I need a phone.
    Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guarantee? Where did they guarantee it. If they did, then we all have a legal recourse.
    HP Commits to webOS 2.0 Upgrades for All Palm Smartphones
    I think HP was surprised to see such a up roar from us here, I think they made mistake and will try to make good, I hope they also heard about getting in bed with Sprint and lets see if Sprint heard us as well. Lets give them few weeks to work on this, I think we will be able to install it threw the USB connection, download to our PC's/Mac's and install it that way, honestly it doesnt matter to me how I install it long as I get 2.x for now till I jump to Pre 3 if Sprint gets it. Lets all hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Hi hparsons. As you know, I usually just kind of nod and smile while you turn every thread into a battle of semantics...
    Have you followed the thread? There is a vast difference between predicting what may or may not happen in a market, and saying "we're going to make xyz right for you".

I have no issue that Palm made some predictions that didn't come true (so as other companies, that's the nature of the corporate world.

This discussion has nothing to do with "things that were supposed to change Palm and webOS' fortunes", it was about this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    As someone who has seen Palm promise over and over that they can change, I sincerely hope people carefully consider what the past 2 years looked like for webOS before following yet another dangling carrot.
    So, I'll rephrase my original question for you. Just for you. What "dangling carrot" has Palm (or HP) offered their consumers, then reneged on.
    So I read all of this and all I can think of is "we better offer some hope to keep people around until summer." Personally, I absolutely don't believe they will do anything about it. I also don't believe they need to support the much older devices. This sort of thing happens as technology advances. Consumers should learn that the purchase of a product does not mean support for said product will be offered indefinitely.

As for their specific comments, I see it as simple damage control because of a broken, misguided, promise.

On another note, are webOS fans going to begin saying that fragmentation, both at the hardware and software level, no longer matters? I mean the current plan is for 3 OS and 3 hardware fragments.
    Did you read the article? I looked all through it and didn't see "guarantee" anywhere in it.

I did see that they committed to do it. We all know for a fact that they put in some effort (as evidenced by the bootleg copies that some users run on their devices). How much effort did they make? We don't know. Is "making it right" when they weren't able to acheive what they thought they could part of a "committment"? Yeah, I think so.

Apparently you don't. I think you should throw you iPhone at them in protest.
    Did you read the article? I looked all through it and didn't see "guarantee" anywhere in it.

I did see that they committed to do it. We all know for a fact that they put in some effort (as evidenced by the bootleg copies that some users run on their devices). How much effort did they make? We don't know. Is "making it right" when they weren't able to acheive what they thought they could part of a "committment"? Yeah, I think so.

Apparently you don't. I think you should throw you iPhone at them in protest.
    Committing to doing it and guaranteeing it is the so thing, stop splitting hairs to excuse HP's behavior simply because it's WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Committing to doing it and guaranteeing it is the so thing, stop splitting hairs to excuse HP's behavior simply because it's WebOS.
    I have to agree with this.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    So, I'll repeat my question.

Someone says they will do something. Discover they can't, then what should they do?

And please, none of the silly whining "they shouldn't have promised it". As has been pointed out, Apple users were told they would have a reliable device, not that they would have to hold it a certain way or cover up parts that were left exposed due to bad design.

I don't fault Apple for doing that, and I don't think accepting their solution was "excusing" them. I'll also point out that once their issue was discovered, they didn't immediately have a resolution either, and certainly not the ultimate resolution they came up with.

So, your anwer, what would suggest HP do, other than shut down the operation to make the aPhans happy?

Someone says they will do something. Discover they can't, then what should they do?

And please, none of the silly whining "they shouldn't have promised it". As has been pointed out, Apple users were told they would have a reliable device, not that they would have to hold it a certain way or cover up parts that were left exposed due to bad design.

I don't fault Apple for doing that, and I don't think accepting their solution was "excusing" them. I'll also point out that once their issue was discovered, they didn't immediately have a resolution either, and certainly not the ultimate resolution they came up with.

So, your anwer, what would suggest HP do, other than shut down the operation to make the aPhans happy?
    I would suggest that you do not commit to do something until you know whether you can or not.

Same thing goes with marriage, buying a house, having a kid.
    Don't commit to something if you don't think you can handle it/do it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/10/2011 at 11:55 PM.
    As nappy mentioned, he is doing the "battle of semantics" thing. It's his M.O. He knows exactly what you mean but he will argue the meaning of a specific word instead. Don't get sucked into it.

Now on webOS itself: I still don't think any company needs to support an old product forever, but what happend to webOS' ability to seamlessly scale? I thought it was supposed to easily support a variety of devices with a single version. Turns out there is now an old and two new versions. I find that interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I have to agree with this.

Sent from my eVo
    Sorry, I disagree (I'm going to assume "so" means "same", otherwise, I don't even know what he meant).

A guarantee comes with a recourse for not meeting your goals. It also usually includes what they will do to make it right. For instance, if my tire blows out, Discount tires has guaranteed it for me, and they will pay me back a prorated amount for the tire.

Palm/HP didn't offer a guarantee, they offered a committment. Frankly, I'm pretty ticked off that that they haven't kept it, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt when they say "we working on making it right for you".

Discount tire can't make my blown tire not be blown out. They don't even give me another one for free, they basically give me a discount on the replacement tire equal to the remaining value of a the tire that blew (before it blew). That's a guarantee.

Palm/HP didn't offer even that much of a guarantee, but it sounds like they've got something in the works. May not be exactly the same, but they didn't guarantee any replacement.

As a side not, when my contract with Sprint is up, if HP hasn't made good on this, I'm getting a different phone.

Along those same lines, when I'm ready for a new phone, if Sprint's not carrying the phone I want, I'm switching carriers.

What I won't do is hang around and whine about what terrible companies one or more of them are.
    I'm impressed with how quickly they responded. I think this is good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Oh sure, it's all totally empty until (if?) they do something. Consider me optimistic. I think that HPalm knows that people have limits. They really disappointed a lot of the webOS faithful yesterday, and I'm sure that they don't want to lose anyone. So hopefully, with that in mind, they'll do something smart and give us a 'hakuna matata' moment.
    By all means, be optimistic. More power to you, and good luck with that. I think my optimism got squashed yesterday, and I'm not going to be cutting HP any more slack until and unless they do manage to do something right for the zealo . . . er, webOS faithful. ;-)

Better than hakuna matata, how about an "Oprah" moment. They give everyone free hardware, and a free trip to Australia to pick up said hardware. *snicker*
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

HP told consumers on their website that all the webos phones would be getting the 2.0 update at some point. It was pretty straightforward...

If they had any business sense at all they should have known not to post something until they were sure it was going to happen. Instead they realized they f 'ed up and couldn't deliver the goods, then sneakily removed the info from their website.

You can be an apologist for HP, that's your choice, but if you ask me it's an extremely stupid way to run a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I'm impressed with how quickly they responded. I think this is good news.
    Meh. Talk is cheap. They've shown us what their words are worth.
    I would suggest that you do not commit to do something until you know whether you can or not.

Same thing goes with marriage, buying a house, having a kid.
    Don't commit to something if you don't think you can handle it/do it.
    You said two different things. In the first, you said "know", in the last, you said "think". They thought they could.
    And there's the crux. They thought they could. And you're avoiding the question. What would you have them do, now that they've discovered they can't?

I also think there's some irony in the fact that every example you just gave has a legal "out" option for those that discover they can't.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/10/2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Sorry, I disagree (I'm going to assume "so" means "same", otherwise, I don't even know what he meant).

A guarantee comes with a recourse for not meeting your goals. It also usually includes what they will do to make it right. For instance, if my tire blows out, Discount tires has guaranteed it for me, and they will pay me back a prorated amount for the tire.

Palm/HP didn't offer a guarantee, they offered a committment. Frankly, I'm pretty ticked off that that they haven't kept it, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt when they say "we working on making it right for you".

Discount tire can't make my blown tire not be blown out. They don't even give me another one for free, they basically give me a discount on the replacement tire equal to the remaining value of a the tire that blew (before it blew). That's a guarantee.

Palm/HP didn't offer even that much of a guarantee, but it sounds like they've got something in the works. May not be exactly the same, but they didn't guarantee any replacement.

As a side not, when my contract with Sprint is up, if HP hasn't made good on this, I'm getting a different phone.

Along those same lines, when I'm ready for a new phone, if Sprint's not carrying the phone I want, I'm switching carriers.

What I won't do is hang around and whine about what terrible companies one or more of them are.
    Disagree, that's fine. It's what a debate is for.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    You said two different things. In the first, you said "know", in the last, you said "think". They thought they could.
    And there's the crux. They thought they could. And you're avoiding the question. What would you have them do, now that they've discovered they can't?

I also think there's some irony in the fact that every example you just gave has a legal "out" option for those that discover they can't.
    Are you done playing with my word choice to excuse what HP did?

They lied to you and all pre/pre+/pixi/pixi+ users.

That's all there is to it.
    They LIED.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/10/2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    This has probably been said already, but I'm gonna say it again.

I have some feedback for HP to "listen to"....

Ready?

BRING BACK THE GESTURE AREA, YOU IDIOTS!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast