Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    And how is that difference translate into Pre -/+ can't run webOS 2?

and read precentral homepage, HP/Palm, Rubinstein are just lying to our faces.
    I didn't say it translates into that; however, when you base your post on the "fact" that there's little difference, when in fact there are major differences, the rest of the post is really moot.

And no, HP/Palm and Rubinstein are not "just lying to our faces". A person should be a little more cautious about making accusations without knowing the facts.

WebOS 2.x does not run as they wanted it to on legacy devices. Show me that's wrong.

First of all though, be sure you know how they wanted it to run...
    delete
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I didn't say it translates into that; however, when you base your post on the "fact" that there's little difference, when in fact there are major differences, the rest of the post is really moot.

And no, HP/Palm and Rubinstein are not "just lying to our faces". A person should be a little more cautious about making accusations without knowing the facts.

WebOS 2.x does not run as they wanted it to on legacy devices. Show me that's wrong.

First of all though, be sure you know how they wanted it to run...
    First of all, there are pre+ out there in EU that runs 2.x already. Does webOS 2.x run on those as HP wanted? and if those can, why US pre+ can't?

People with eyes will look at concrete, clear video demonstration posted on P|C homepage showing fluid running of webOS 2.x on a pre+, and came to simple conclusion: Rubinstein blatantly lied when he said Original Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi and Pixi Plus won't get updated to webOS 2.0 -- Engadget

older products simply don't have the horsepower to properly run webOS 2.0 and beyond.
    This is not a situation to use some unprovable, imaginary standards to justify the ridiculous behavior of HP, Palm, Rubinstein.
    First of all, there are pre+ out there in EU that runs 2.x already. Does webOS 2.x run on those as HP wanted? and if those can, why US pre+ can't?

People with eyes will look at concrete, clear video demonstration posted on P|C homepage showing fluid running of webOS 2.x on a pre+, and came to simple conclusion: Rubinstein blatantly lied when he said Original Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi and Pixi Plus won't get updated to webOS 2.0 -- Engadget

This is not a situation to use some unprovable, imaginary standards to justify the ridiculous behavior of HP, Palm, Rubinstein.
    I'd have to amend that to say "some people with eyes..."
    Of course, those same people will surely have cooked up some reason for HP, and Rubenstein, after having invested money in development and testing the update, and then finding it works perfectly, decided not only to toss it, but to lie to those waiting for it.

What, exactly, would be that reason?
    I'd have to amend that to say "some people with eyes..."
    Of course, those same people will surely have cooked up some reason for HP, and Rubenstein, after having invested money in development and testing the update, and then finding it works perfectly, decided not only to toss it, but to lie to those waiting for it.

What, exactly, would be that reason?
    I don't believe you truly don't see the big pink elephant in the room, who is called "MONEY". They want to sell Pre3, and if Pre/Pre+ with webOS 2.x works about the same, the 1-2 million pre/pre+ users out there won't upgrade to their new toy.

Its obviously a calculated business decision.
    Because everyone on their launch day Pre's will be satisfied with a 2 year old device and 2.x.......lol

God you remind me so much of the robot cartoon....lol You must be doing this on purpose lol
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I don't believe you truly don't see the big pink elephant in the room, who is called "MONEY". They want to sell Pre3, and if Pre/Pre+ with webOS 2.x works about the same, the 1-2 million pre/pre+ users out there won't upgrade to their new toy.

Its obviously a calculated business decision.
    Anyone that looks at the specs of the Pre 3 and the Pre and thinks that will "work about the same" understands nothing of the OS or the hardware it runs on.

Sorry, but fact dat.
    Wow, I finally made it through the whole thread.

I too am disappointed that my Sprint Pre- won't get the update to 2.x, after being elated over the announcement that we would be getting it. It's not an "expectation", after all, this is what we were told. So that's just a blunder, or bad form. I don't think it's a lie however- I think they announced it, and figured out they couldn't do it in the way they wanted. Whoops. Open mouth, insert foot.

So while I have some time until my upgrade eligibility, I have a quandary. I have been a loyal Palm user for many years, and I love the hackibility of WebOS. I loved doing custom ROMs for my Treo 650. And my Treo 755P was so solid that when my wife shattered her Pixi, she is now using the 755P as a backup.

But with all that's going on I question the future of the platform, the direction, the fragmentation. I really don't want to buy apps at this point- certainly not in the next several months- until I know what's going on. I can't be alone, and that's not good for the community as a whole.

My wife and I both really like the Evo Shift- though Android would be new territory for me (my wife doesn't care about any of this ). Is it as hackable? I hear complaints about the polish, etc. But it's obviously on a vastly more popular platform.

I will bide my time, but I am very seriously considering leaving the platform/vendor I have held in the highest regards for almost 15 years. I was very excited about WebOS, but it seems that the potential just didn't take off. I'm tired of being in the minority all the time. I endured it for years with Linux, I just don't feel like it anymore with my phone now years later.

I guess only time will tell- and I do have some of that until I'm eligible for an upgrade with Sprint. But until then- there is some bitterness in the lack of updates I was hoping for. At one point that included Flash, but I don't even care about that any more. Thank goodness for the WebOS Internals community and the Uberkernel!
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 02/25/2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: punctuation, missing word
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    European Pre+'s are getting the webOS 2.x update. That's proof the hardware can handle the update.

This is a money decision, pure and simple.
    1) It drives business to new devices.
    2) It eliminates cost from the roll out of an OS update for the vast majority of webOS users including technical support.
    3) It eliminates negotiations with the carriers on who is going to cover the cost.
    My issue is not the fact that the "legacy" devices haven't received 2.1. But with the statement in the title of this thread that "they've heard the feedback". HP/Palm made a critical error with the dealing of the current users of WebOS. They chose to announce the lack of update as a footnote at the think beyond event in the hope that the new devices would eclipse the negativity over the choice. They then made the blog post admitting that they had made a mistake and will make amends to their users. This was posted on the 10th it is now the 25th.
    One of the biggest complaints with the 2.1 debacle was the lack of communication from Palm. They then "hear our feedback" but then don't take any notice of it. If you put somebody on hold on the phone you don't leave them on there for 20minutes. I think it's better that they don't over promise as they have been accused of doing before, but to completely ignore the users is unforgivable. Give us an update on the situation, if they are unable to post what is happening due to carrier agreements or uncertainty at least post some reassurance that they are still working on it. Instead they release the upgrade to the phone that they said they wouldn't in one market, and leave their official response in another country that the same phone is unable to run the said upgrade.
    I'm not asking for the update to be released but I am asking that Palm learns from it's mistakes and actually improves it's communication with it's customers mixed messages and lack of announcements is not the way to keep/attract new users.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    European Pre+'s are getting the webOS 2.x update. That's proof the hardware can handle the update.

This is a money decision, pure and simple.
    1) It drives business to new devices.
    2) It eliminates cost from the roll out of an OS update for the vast majority of webOS users including technical support.
    3) It eliminates negotiations with the carriers on who is going to cover the cost.
    European carriers have gotten some updates out to customers earlier than US carriers, it's possible that the 2.1 doctor will also be released for US Pre Pluses.

Meanwhile, the doctor shows that PLUS hardware can handle it. If you go to the threads about metadoctored Pre Minuses, you'll see that there are some issues with the Minus' lack of RAM, even if they're minor. Still, imagine the outcry if HP had released 2.x to the Pre Minus -with issues related to the RAM-. People would've been furious about HP's fail (because using the noun 'failure' is going out of style).
    It's interesting to read Pre users upset about their lack of updates. Of course it's understandable that they would be upset after being told they would be able to update.
    However it isn't any better with Android.

If you read all the complaints about lack of Android updates, the problem is more complex. Android users have to wait for Google to make an update. Then they have to wait for their hardware manufacturer to get it to work with their customization changes. Then you have to wait for your carriers changes and fixes. The reality is AT&T has never updated their Android phones, and doesn't look like they will anytime soon. Sprint Epic users have been complaining for months. Now a update was released for the Epic, but the over the air update is flawed and causing problems. It seems like every Android phone is on different version of Android. All Android devices have good enough specs to to be able to get all the most recent OS, but most don't. Samsung makes spectacular TV's, but their quickly making a name for themselves as one of the worst smartphone manufacturers. Sprint Android users have been threatening to leave over lack of updates. HTC customers constantly complain about poor battery life. Communication in the Android world about updates is just as bad, except that they've had multiple devices always available so you at least had an option to switch. But everyone has been promised with updates. It's more of a mess in Android land, but it just doesn't feel like it because of more support.

I think HP still has a chance to make it big with WebOS, but I don't think time is on their side.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintiPhone View Post
    It's interesting to read Pre users upset about their lack of updates. Of course it's understandable that they would be upset after being told they would be able to update.
    However it isn't any better with Android.

If you read all the complaints about lack of Android updates, the problem is more complex. Android users have to wait for Google to make an update. Then they have to wait for their hardware manufacturer to get it to work with their customization changes. Then you have to wait for your carriers changes and fixes. The reality is AT&T has never updated their Android phones, and doesn't look like they will anytime soon. Sprint Epic users have been complaining for months. Now a update was released for the Epic, but the over the air update is flawed and causing problems. It seems like every Android phone is on different version of Android. All Android devices have good enough specs to to be able to get all the most recent OS, but most don't. Samsung makes spectacular TV's, but their quickly making a name for themselves as one of the worst smartphone manufacturers. Sprint Android users have been threatening to leave over lack of updates. HTC customers constantly complain about poor battery life. Communication in the Android world about updates is just as bad, except that they've had multiple devices always available so you at least had an option to switch. But everyone has been promised with updates. It's more of a mess in Android land, but it just doesn't feel like it because of more support.

I think HP still has a chance to make it big with WebOS, but I don't think time is on their side.
    Thanks for the Android/Sprint take on things! This is exactly what I personally was looking for. What about the community? Do you know if there is a similar community to the WebOS Internals community where they are patches and customization going on? That makes it more than bearable. If Android is not similar in this regard, I am less comfortable making the jump.

Though I found out because I am a Sprint premier customer I am eligible for an upgrade in June instead of December like I thought. So that gives all the parties involved- HPalm, Sprint, and I suppose HTC (since I'm looking at the Evo Shift), as well as myself, less time to consider everything.

Though I may just give my wife the upgrade since she has my 755P- but she shouldn't have shattered her Pixi.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Thanks for the Android/Sprint take on things! This is exactly what I personally was looking for. What about the community? Do you know if there is a similar community to the WebOS Internals community where they are patches and customization going on? That makes it more than bearable. If Android is not similar in this regard, I am less comfortable making the jump.

Though I found out because I am a Sprint premier customer I am eligible for an upgrade in June instead of December like I thought. So that gives all the parties involved- HPalm, Sprint, and I suppose HTC (since I'm looking at the Evo Shift), as well as myself, less time to consider everything.

Though I may just give my wife the upgrade since she has my 755P- but she shouldn't have shattered her Pixi.
    There is a good Android Community out there but it is different. First off, you don't need the patches on Android like you do on the Pre. Most of what we add as patches are already available on Android as built-in options or can be downloaded as widgets or apps from the market. What the customization focus is on is rooting the phones which, while not that horribly difficult is certainly much more daunting than patching. Also you have the "fragmentation" issue, with so many different phones (and not all running the newest version of the OS) and new ones all the time, there is not the same feeling of a "single source" that is taking care everything.

The good news for you is that there are so many Evo and Evo shift customers out there on sprint, it has one of the better communities on AndroidCentral. I have found lots of usefull information and advice there and was able to root my phone without too much trouble reading all the threads but it is still not quite the "same" as it is over here -- which is, no doubt, why a lot of us defectors still hang around PreCentral with the hope that we get something that will entice us back -- the community here is just a step above most others.

Lastly, watch out on the Premier thing. Unless you are Premier Gold you are likely losing your upgrade. Check the threads here to see if you are at risk!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    There is a good Android Community out there but it is different. First off, you don't need the patches on Android like you do on the Pre. Most of what we add as patches are already available on Android as built-in options or can be downloaded as widgets or apps from the market. What the customization focus is on is rooting the phones which, while not that horribly difficult is certainly much more daunting than patching. Also you have the "fragmentation" issue, with so many different phones (and not all running the newest version of the OS) and new ones all the time, there is not the same feeling of a "single source" that is taking care everything.

The good news for you is that there are so many Evo and Evo shift customers out there on sprint, it has one of the better communities on AndroidCentral. I have found lots of usefull information and advice there and was able to root my phone without too much trouble reading all the threads but it is still not quite the "same" as it is over here -- which is, no doubt, why a lot of us defectors still hang around PreCentral with the hope that we get something that will entice us back -- the community here is just a step above most others.

Lastly, watch out on the Premier thing. Unless you are Premier Gold you are likely losing your upgrade. Check the threads here to see if you are at risk!
    Again, thanks for all the info- account info included. This is all just the type of info I need- and I apologize if I hijacked the thread to get it. While it's a logical progression of information for me, it may not be for others.

Last question- I swear. I am no stranger to doing things like jailbreaking IOS devices, custom ROMs on the Treo 650, and obviously WebOS devices basically encourage customization- rooting sounds like it is closer to jailbreaking. Is this a warranty voiding non-approved activity? It probably wouldn't stop me- but I'm curious (and an iPod is different than a device with a monthly subscribed service that has 911 access- to me anyway). I do rather enjoy how Palm built in, and HP appears to continue to encourage are are listening (-> see what I did there?), to the hacking/modding community.

Thanks all!

~Mike

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    ... obviously WebOS devices basically encourage customization- rooting sounds like it is closer to jailbreaking. Is this a warranty voiding non-approved activity?...
    No, "rooting" a WebOS device is not a warranty voiding non-approved activity. It's also nothing like rooting other devices. The details on can be found here - Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals . Interestingly enough, HP recently donated a server to the WebOS Internals folks (the biggest organizers of the Homebrew community).
    No, "rooting" a WebOS device is not a warranty voiding non-approved activity. It's also nothing like rooting other devices. The details on can be found here - Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals . Interestingly enough, HP recently donated a server to the WebOS Internals folks (the biggest organizers of the Homebrew community).
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to Android devices when I used the word "rooting". And I was referring the the Proliant server when I mentioned that HP continues to encourage the Homebrew community, though I wasn't explicit about that. I meant to be but I guess I was in a hurry. Or my three year old was talking my ear off.

I run PreWare and the UberKernel on my Pre-, and I find that the available patches are absolutely indispensable for the OS. That's my apprehension but also just lack of experience with Android.

I also found out that we are NOT yet Sprint Premier Gold customers! We won't be until September! So I lose the upgrade I would get, AND on top of it, my upgrade gets pushed to April of 2012, even though I bought three new phones in December of '09! Gold Premier huh? I might end up calling retentions because now my wife is even more vocal about jumping ship for AT&T and the iPhone. Meh.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to Android devices when I used the word "rooting".
    I probably rushed through your message too quickly. No problem at all.
    I also found out that we are NOT yet Sprint Premier Gold customers! We won't be until September! So I lose the upgrade I would get, AND on top of it, my upgrade gets pushed to April of 2012, even though I bought three new phones in December of '09! Gold Premier huh? I might end up calling retentions because now my wife is even more vocal about jumping ship for AT&T and the iPhone. Meh.
    Definitely call retentions. Sprint has had me on the brink of changing a few times, and retentions has always fixed it up. If they don't, all you've lost by callilng them is a few minutes of your time.
    Quick question: What do you mean by 'Call Rententions' ? Just curious because I'm a Sprint customer too whose upgrade was supposed to be April 1st of this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJayne View Post
    Quick question: What do you mean by 'Call Rententions' ? Just curious because I'm a Sprint customer too whose upgrade was supposed to be April 1st of this year...
    Retentions is/was a department within Sprint (I think they may have renamed the department). Basically, it's the "last ditch effort to keep you as a customer" department. Hence the name "retentions", they want to retain you.

They can/will (take your pick) frequently do things that the normal customer service reps can't/won't do.