Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkk photography View Post
    genius video!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What were you promised when you bought the device?

If you were promised something that you did not receive, you should return to your carrier and ask for another phone that does support what you need.
    My carrier sold me what I asked for! It was a phone that could do a lot!
    The ones who said that phone was going to be UPGRADE was Palm, not Movistar. The 1.4.5 version came from Palm. It was HP/Palm who told the WebOS fans to stay tuned because 2.x was coming (to fix my problem).
    It was HP who told me a few days ago that I wasnt getting the things they promised!!!
    Is HP whos not telling me when I can get my pdf books to work! or when will I be able to buy a new phone whithout that problem.

What do you think Movistar is going to tell me when I bring them a 1,5 year old phone with a pdf book problem???

I just want to read a pdf book!?!?!?!? Why is it to hard to understand, and Why HP is not doing anything for me, I was waiting for them to tell me something on that special event, but all I have now is MORE COMING MONTHS!!!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    For me, the recent Congressional/FCC decision re: throttling wireless bandwidth has caused me to re-evaluate my love for smartphones altogether.

Take this example: When I first bought my Pre minus on Sprint, I could get *any* YouTube video. Then, over time more and more YouTube content has become unavailable to me, and I'm not sure *any* smartphone or wireless-connected device (read: tablet) will be able to fix this problem under the new regulations.

So, I bought a nice ultralight laptop and am going to start depending less and less on my Pre and cellular service.

When I bought my Pre, I could justify $75/month to get pretty much whatever already free web content I wanted. I was eagerly anticipating Flash support to get the rest (i.e. Hulu, etc.) An HDMI output would have completed my dream for total convergence device replacement. I was thinking I might not ever have to buy another computer again.

Now, I'm not sure I want to keep paying $75/month, then have to pay additional fees on top of that to access certain media content (Netflix etc.), or possibly pay a premium to Sprint for extra bandwidth ($10/month sound familiar?), not to mention ignoring the fact that more and more content is simply inaccessible on a smartphone, when I can get *everything* for *free* on my "notbook."

Sure, it's about 2 pounds heavier, but *it works*. Plus I won't have to spend days reading these 200+ post debates on precentral anymore to figure out what the heck is NOT happening "in the coming days/weeks/months" with webOS. And frankly my friends and loved ones might appreciate not having to listen to the latest Kesha satire on YouTube at the dinner table lol.

I'm just putting this out there to illustrate how this webOS 2.0 legacy support debate may have already become totally moot, IMHO, considering the restrictions media content owners, servers, and wireless providers have implemented since the original Pre's debut.

I'm not sure even webOS 3.0 will be able to play all my YouTube videos until the media content provider chain figures out how it's going to get paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    Maybe Im naive but I think HP actually tried to make it work on older devices but given that they cant/wont officially support overclocking and other kernel modifications the older devices simply didnt have the juice and they didnt want to compromise the experience on the new devices and it took them until the last minute to realize this.
    While I certainly would have loved to see 2.x come to my Pre Plus, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. Unfortunately there are very few people around here willing to at least entertain this notion. I personally think we should stop clinging onto every word out of the HPalm camp.. hell I don't even believe the Pre 3 will be released until its actually in my hand (okay, thats a bit of sarcasm).
    Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    So what is HP doing for me (been a Palm/WebOS fan for 15 years), I should keep in the same situation, AND not knowing when I will be able to read them or should I just forget about them taking care and go for and Android???
    So by your logic, the fact that I have owned one brand of car (multiple models) for over 30 years means the car company some how owes me some sort of consideration? <coughcough> No it means they have been making the cars that best suit my needs in the past, but there is no guaranteeing it will continue to do so. I have been asking for the impossible in a car for years...75+cf cargo, short wheelbase (105" or so), minimum 22mpg (real world). For years I could get any 2 of 3. Last year I finally found a car that was 3 of 3! Guess what, I bought a new car...and a different brand.

All I know is that I NEED to read pdf books (Im a physician) and right now I CANT. I will not have 2.x, so same history.
    I was waiting por Feb 9th to find a solution (was hoping a fast Pre3 release here in Spain) but NOOO.
    Sounds like you have the same problem I had with cars - If your current <insert device here> doesn't do <insert feature here> the choice is simple: decide you can live without that feature or change to a device that does offer that feature. It does not mean that HP, Palm, Apple, or any other company has any obligation to provide you with the device that is perfect for your needs.

As an aside - I have a Pre+ (no 2.x) and I have a PDF viewer...seems to work fine for me.
    The ones who said that phone was going to be UPGRADE was Palm, not Movistar. The 1.4.5 version came from Palm. It was HP/Palm who told the WebOS fans to stay tuned because 2.x was coming (to fix my problem).
    It was HP who told me a few days ago that I wasnt getting the things they promised!!!
    Is HP whos not telling me when I can get my pdf books to work! or when will I be able to buy a new phone whithout that problem.

What do you think Movistar is going to tell me when I bring them a 1,5 year old phone with a pdf book problem???

I just want to read a pdf book!?!?!?!? Why is it to hard to understand, and Why HP is not doing anything for me, I was waiting for them to tell me something on that special event, but all I have now is MORE COMING MONTHS!!!
    The 1.5 year old phone is my point. HP didn't promise you anything to get you to buy their phone. They said they were committed to doing something, and then found they couldn't do it the way they wanted. That happens.

My point is, their promise didn't affect your decision to buy the phone. You bought it before they made the promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

sent from my evo
    I love this :-)
    You see, HP? Even switchers are listening! Just give us/them something to keep the faith!!!
    The 1.5 year old phone is my point. HP didn't promise you anything to get you to buy their phone. They said they were committed to doing something, and then found they couldn't do it the way they wanted. That happens.

My point is, their promise didn't affect your decision to buy the phone. You bought it before they made the promise.

...but I didn't bought an iPhone/Galaxy YET, because they told me to stay tuned...

Saludos desde Espaa ;-)

Im sorry to hear you guys.
    Palm told me when they sold me the phone that I was going to be able to read PDF books, right?
    Problems start to show, I could easily turn the phone back, BUT HP/Palm told me not to! They told me the FIX WAS COMING!!! (so there was a promise!!!)
    I was waiting for MONTHS for the fix! but nothing.
    HP told me again! dont warry 2.x is coming for you, that will fix it!
    So I stay for a couple of more MONTHS!!!!
    Now a few days ago, HP tell me Im not going to get 2.x, so I still have the same problem.

IT IS NOT LIKE ANY 30 YEARS OLD CAR!!!!
    NOBODY TOLD YOU THAT YOUR CAR WAS GOING TO BE UPGRADE!!!!
    If you had a problem with the car parts o electronics (hardware or software) then you would ask for replacement right?

All Im saying is that I was suposed to be able to read pdf books but I can. They told me a fix was coming, they didnt tell me to change the phone because they were fixing it!
    So now should I complain????? After 1,5 years of WAITING for the fix that was promised to me!!?

I insist, When they sold me the phone they told me I was going to be able to read pdfs! Didnt they told YOU the same???
    Quote Originally Posted by pepitosegrilla View Post
    I love this :-)
    You see, HP? Even switchers are listening! Just give us/them something to keep the faith!!!
    You can forget it where I'm concerned, I'm only listening, because my son wants the Pre3 if Sprint gets it. I have no faith, never did and am not switching back.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I dont believe what HP is saying.

Look at webOS2 itself, its not significantly different from webOS 1.4.5, and why is that webOS 2 would require 1GHZ CPU while 1.4.5 run on 500MHz easily? Not to mention Pre has been tested to run at 1GHz stably. Is HP really technologically so weak that they can't optimize anything?

NO, they either don't want to spend any time to support old users, or, obviously, HP is a multi-national corporation that focus on making more money.

Talk is cheap indeed.

Adding up all the empty promises, everybody should be careful when buying any HP products next. remember, if HP told you "netflix is coming, skype is coming, this or that is coming", don't believe it.

Thats why I won't buy pre3 until I see with my eyes that it can video chat to desktop skype over 3G/4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats why I won't buy pre3 until I see with my eyes that it can video chat to desktop skype over 3G/4G.
    Exactly! Don't buy a device until you know it ill do the things you need it to do. If it doesn't meet your needs, don't buy it.

In Europe at least, every product sold is implicitly covered by a 2 year manufacturer warrantee (exlcluding normal wear). In the case of an electronic device with software like a phone that would cover sofware bugs.

Obviously they are not obliged to add new features but if someone has a particular bug that they find within 2 years of purchase they would be required to 'repair it', (i.e. fix the bug or provide a work around).

I don't know how it would pan out in this case but it would be interesting to see. Personally I am pretty happy with my Pre- but I am anoyed that the promised upgrade is not coming and more anoyed becuase I will now be shut out of many new apps that will be coming out for 2.0 and above only. I would expect any phone I buy to last 3-4 years at least though I might only use it as my primary phone for 2 years. I rarely buy phones as they are launched but I made an exception for the Pre and waited outside the O2 shop on lauch day (something I have never done for anything else, ever) because I had used Palm devices before and found them very good.

I feel cheated but if they hurry up and get the Pre3 to the UK I will probably still get one as I can't bear the thought of getting an iOS or Android device.
    It cracks me up reading about how lives are "shattered" from the "broken promise" from Palm, and how it so affected lives because of it. I dont buy tech things based on what upgrade may come in the future, even if the company "promises". Its so high school sounding. If you think Palm/HP is the first company to change upgrade strategy, your in for a long and frustrating life. Did they cross their heart and hope to die when this promise was made? If not, its totally invalid. And thats common knowledge. Or maybe their fingers were crossed when it was said.
    Jeez. its a phone people. Go outside and interact with some people face to face once in a while.
    Im sorry to hear you guys.
    Palm told me when they sold me the phone that I was going to be able to read PDF books, right?
    Problems start to show, I could easily turn the phone back, BUT HP/Palm told me not to! They told me the FIX WAS COMING!!! (so there was a promise!!!)
    I was waiting for MONTHS for the fix! but nothing.
    HP told me again! dont warry 2.x is coming for you, that will fix it!
    So I stay for a couple of more MONTHS!!!!
    Now a few days ago, HP tell me Im not going to get 2.x, so I still have the same problem.

IT IS NOT LIKE ANY 30 YEARS OLD CAR!!!!
    NOBODY TOLD YOU THAT YOUR CAR WAS GOING TO BE UPGRADE!!!!
    If you had a problem with the car parts o electronics (hardware or software) then you would ask for replacement right?

All Im saying is that I was suposed to be able to read pdf books but I can. They told me a fix was coming, they didnt tell me to change the phone because they were fixing it!
    So now should I complain????? After 1,5 years of WAITING for the fix that was promised to me!!?

I insist, When they sold me the phone they told me I was going to be able to read pdfs! Didnt they told YOU the same???
    Not to say that we don't work on bugs and implement fixes, but Palm has never promised to fix any bug that has been on the device.

Can you point me to a reference where you was promised that the PDF bug would be fixed?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by 911_Dude View Post
    It cracks me up reading about how lives are "shattered" from the "broken promise" from Palm, and how it so affected lives because of it. I dont buy tech things based on what upgrade may come in the future, even if the company "promises". Its so high school sounding. If you think Palm/HP is the first company to change upgrade strategy, your in for a long and frustrating life. Did they cross their heart and hope to die when this promise was made? If not, its totally invalid. And thats common knowledge. Or maybe their fingers were crossed when it was said.
    Jeez. its a phone people. Go outside and interact with some people face to face once in a while.
    LOL!!! I've made similar comments in other threads. Its amazing to me the number of unhappy Palm users (or past users)visit these threads. I hate liver and onions, can't stand it. Maybe I'll find a liver & onion thread and start posting. To each his own I guess.

ET
    haha it cracks me up as well

like seriously, big deal.
    if you're that upset about a software upgrade, maybe some should seek therapy or something.

I love my phone.. i love my technology, and i love webOS.. hey does it suck that we don't get a 2.0 upgrade.. sure..i like new things, but i dont care at the end of the day. it's business. end of discussion.

HP has shareholders to please, NOT consumers. And that means if it wasn't financially right for them to drop all those resources to the previous pre devices, i'd rather have it that way because i'm staying with webOS, and i'd rather have those resources pumping out code and a whole lot of goodies into the new devices, which, quite frankly, that's what shareholders want as well because it'll make them the most money.
    haha it cracks me up as well

like seriously, big deal.
    if you're that upset about a software upgrade, maybe some should seek therapy or something.

I love my phone.. i love my technology, and i love webOS.. hey does it suck that we don't get a 2.0 upgrade.. sure..i like new things, but i dont care at the end of the day. it's business. end of discussion.

HP has shareholders to please, NOT consumers. And that means if it wasn't financially right for them to drop all those resources to the previous pre devices, i'd rather have it that way because i'm staying with webOS, and i'd rather have those resources pumping out code and a whole lot of goodies into the new devices, which, quite frankly, that's what shareholders want as well because it'll make them the most money.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    My cracked Pre (and chunk of plastic gone around the USB port) ain't going to make it till the Pre3 comes out I fear. I do not want the Pre 2 if the 3 is going to come out in a few months. So, $50 bucks off a Pre 2 wouldn't be enough in my case. I might be forced to settle for the Pre 2, grrrr. I HATE the "coming this summer" claim.

ET
    buy a Pre off ebay until the 3 is released.