Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems as if, for no logical reason, the Pre 3 has been branded. Even before it was available to be handled, people joked about it.

OK, that's fine. It would be one thing if the jokes were actually accurate, but they aren't: the Pre 3 has the highest clockspeed on the market. The resolution is great; it isn't quite iPhone 4 pixel density, but it is higher than every Android device on the market. The RAM is good; 512 MB seems to be the sweet spot for webOS. The keyboard seems to be fantastic, which is way more than can be said for previous devices. Same with the build quality; it looks like HP has taught Palm how to drill holes into metal/plastic.

I've said it before, but here it goes: the only problem with the device is the launch date. If, by some miracle, they can get on the ball and put this thing out in a month or two, they're OK. They won't sell them by the barrel, but they will sell (just like any good product will).

So I have to ask: why all the outcry? Is it because the hype was so high that HP just couldn't meet it?

Also: if the Pre 3 had a different name, would it be better accepted? If it's the name that bothers you, and brings back memories that cause shudders, then please: rename it in your mind.

Either way, the Pre 3 is looking mighty fine.
    yep, they had to force my hand open to give it back after plaing with it. Fantastic harware.
    hmm... Where to start...

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep, they had to force my hand open to give it back after plaing with it. Fantastic harware.
    Exactly! Everyone who has played with one likes it. It's everyone else who wasn't able to attend the event that hates it.

How does that work?

And Garrett92C: please start anywhere. Everywhere, if you like.
    I've said it other threads. I honestly feel some people will never be happy and complain. Call it human nature.

ET
    Clock speed: You can't say it's the fastest on the market. It's not "on the market"until it's actually released.

Resolution: The Pre 3's resolution is average. Most higher end Android phones match or exceed it.

RAM: There is no "sweet spot". More is better.

Build quality can't be judged until it's been mass produced and released to everyone.

Besides all that, the Pre3 seems like a nice little device.

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I think that is where a lot of it is coming from, because it is named after a product that had shotty build quality and felt like a cheap, plasticy phone which couldn't take a slight bump or you would have to worry about every little thing with it.

The outcry is coming from the fact that HP decided not to unveil at CES and hold their own event, then instead of actually rebranding and reinventing themselves with the last 8 months they come out with basically two phones that are the same form as the failures of the last two years. The tablet is cool but to sell an ecosystem, you need to have products that people want to buy and that have a reputation and something that I would be willing to sell my friends and neighbors on. Honestly, the Pre3 reminds me of the same phone in a different package. Even though the insides are much better, it is still the same look it was two years ago.

What people were looking for was a few different options for phones, if the Pre3 was one of three, a slab type phone like the Evo with a big screen and soft keyboard, a landscape slider like the Evo Shift(just using the Evo phones as examples, you can enter in whatever phones you want) as a total platform of HPalm phones that will work with the new HP tablet, bringing something that would totally wow the public and cover a lot of different market segments at once, they would have gotten great reviews.

For all the hype they put into this for the past month, they really did fall short and that is where the backlash is coming from.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    More:

Ok, I guess you can get a general feel for the build quality by playing with the prototype devices. Final judgement should be reserved for the final product though...

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Clock speed: You can't say it's the fastest on the market. It's not "on the market"until it's actually released.

Resolution: The Pre 3's resolution is average. Most higher end Android phones match or exceed it.

RAM: There is no "sweet spot". More is better.

Build quality can't be judged until it's been mass produced and released to everyone.

Besides all that, the Pre3 seems like a nice little device.

Clock Speed: Touche. Ok, announced. Fastest processor announced.

Resolution: By the same logic that you applied in the 'clock speed' section, the resolution is second to none on the Android side (unless you count the 54 pixels horizontal on Motorola's DROID phones). Yes, the Atrix 4G boasts a higher res display than 480x800, but it isn't out yet.

RAM: More is better until it starts eating battery, which is something that some 1 GB Android phones may have issues with.

Build quality: True, very true. However, I do believe the original Pre display units that were there in January '09 at CES didn't have good build quality. Reporters were assured that it would be fixed, but it never was. I'd like to think that the build quality on these devices (which, really, could pass as complete) is a good signal for the future.
    Maybe for most tech geeks, the Pre 3 is average, but for this average user I am stoked about EVERYTHING it has to offer.

I am currently using my 2nd Sprint Pre since launch day thats overclocked and patched; life is good! I for one, was excited about the marketing/hype build up by HP and was even more satisfied with 2/9/11. There will always be room for improvement.

As the op stated, the biggest let down from the event in my opinion was no release date or carrier info.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/10/2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Who attends these events? WebOS fans and tech bloggers.

Who needs to buy these though? The average consumer.

These people already passed judgement 3 different times on 3 different carriers. It wasn't pretty. Sprint, a third rate carrier, seemingly wants nothing to do with another Pre. It was probably the most returned/exchanged product they ever sold.

HP announces an event. They're going to drop the Palm brand and blow you away. Think Beyond. Think that leak on engadget is something? Think Again!!

And so day of launch, HP proceeds to ......launch two more Pre's??????? A Pre 3 and a miniPre. Same failed form factor as before.

How will consumers judge these two new Pre's in the summer? They will take one look at the Pre 3 and assume its the same old crap. Looks the same to them. They don't care about specs. Then they'll proceed to walk (no run) over to the slick looking slab phones sporting iOS 5, android 3.0, or WP7.

How will carrier employees market these Pre's? Even if Sprint somehow decides to sell Pre's again, do you honestly see a Sprint employee recommending a palm product ever again after the first Pre fiasco?

Customer: No way.
    Sprint employee: No really. It's got better specs. It's so much better now.
    Customer: Is this some sick joke? No way i go through that again.
    Sprint employee: But c'mon, at least hold one and try it out.
    Customer: No thanks. Look, i came here for one of those droids..
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/10/2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Exactly! Everyone who has played with one likes it. It's everyone else who wasn't able to attend the event that hates it.

How does that work?
    Just that - I don't have one in my hand yet...
    I see pandas.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Customer: No way.
    Sprint employee: No really. It's got better specs. It's so much better now.
    Customer: Is this some sick joke? No way i go through that again.
    I don't believe that consumers even know what a 'Pre' is. They don't know who Palm is. They don't know what webOS is. They, frankly, have no previous knowledge of this OS. That's how big of a failure it has been. Therefore, they don't have to fight negative thoughts. It's both a blessing and a curse that a platform that has been out for nearly three years has had this little of an impact.

The only people who have had negative experiences like this are the webOS faithful, ironically. However, many love the platform enough to stay. The average consumer doesn't know, nor care. Android and the iPhone are the two smartphone players that exist, in their mind.

Now, if the device looks good, feels good, and is 'cool,' then someone may impulse buy the device at a store.
    The consumer may not remember the Pre but salesperson likely will.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    I don't believe that consumers even know what a 'Pre' is. They don't know who Palm is. They don't know what webOS is. They, frankly, have no previous knowledge of this OS. That's how big of a failure it has been. Therefore, they don't have to fight negative thoughts. It's both a blessing and a curse that a platform that has been out for nearly three years has had this little of an impact.

The only people who have had negative experiences like this are the webOS faithful, ironically. However, many love the platform enough to stay. The average consumer doesn't know, nor care. Android and the iPhone are the two smartphone players that exist, in their mind.

Now, if the device looks good, feels good, and is 'cool,' then someone may impulse buy the device at a store.
    I think you're underestimating things. On sprint, the Pre was their flagship for most of 2009. You don't think most sprint customers knew about the Pre?

On Verizon, it got a lot of air time even though it was Mom commercials.

On AT&T, you probably have a point. Marketing was dying around that time.

But you're assuming that the first Pre's didn't sell because people didn't know about them?? That HP simply needs to inform the ignorant masses..something Palm failed to do? For some reason i don't see HP lighting up the airwaves about the Pre 3 anymore than Palm did (because i don't think HP is that concerned about phones). I can imagine they'll push that Touchpad mighty hard though.
  16.    #16  
    I think you're underestimating things. On sprint, the Pre was their flagship for most of 2009. You don't think most sprint customers knew about the Pre?

On Verizon, it got a lot of air time even though it was Mom commercials.

On AT&T, you probably have a point. Marketing was dying around that time.

But you're assuming that the first Pre's didn't sell because people didn't know about them?? That HP simply needs to inform the ignorant masses..something Palm failed to do?
    I agree mostly about Sprint. It was their premier device for a year or so. And you can see that; it seems that most of the Sprint people here are disgusted with HP for no new devices, even though that may be more of Sprint's fault.

On Verizon, the Pre Plus was DOA because of the DROID, and the DROID Incredible. Verizon pumped advertising money into that device like nothing before it, and the Pre suffered from friendly fallout from those commercials. Anyone wanting a smartphone on VZW wanted the DROID. I think the Pre Plus was basically just overlooked completely.

I'm saying that people don't have a bad impression of the OS or the device. Actually, they have no impression, which is good and bad. HP needs to throw commercials out left and right, yes, but the devices need to be great as well.
    And so day of launch, HP proceeds to ......launch two more Pre's??????? A Pre 3 and a miniPre. Same failed form factor as before...
    The Pre's form factor did NOT fail, it was the BUILD quality of the product
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/10/2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    The Pre's form factor did NOT fail, it was the BUILD quality of the product
    I can agree but those two are associated with each other now. Life isn't fair.

Most people check out devices by looks first. One glance at the Pre and they'll walk away. In the past, the Pre, its looks, its form factor meant bad quality. People either found it out the hard way or by word of mouth. It's now a quality the Pre brand carries with it.
  19.    #19  

Most people check out devices by looks first. One glance at the Pre and they'll walk away. In the past, the Pre, its looks, its form factor meant bad quality. People either found it out the hard way or by word of mouth. It's now a quality the Pre brand carries with it.
    Like I said before, that may be true on Sprint, but I'm not sure that is true on any other carrier. The brand is basically unknown on AT&T, and VZW (and definitely T-Mo).

Although I do agree; sliders usually have worse build quality because of the necessary moving parts. If HP figured it out, then that's great.

Of all the sliders on the market today, the Pre/Pre+ probably had the most issues, so fast forward to recent time and the BB Torch seems to be doing just fine and many mistake it and the Pre for each other.

To add, I guess with the Pre/Pre+ BAD build quality, if it were a slab, should I assume any HP slab today would be DOA as your logic seems to imply about the Pre 3?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast