Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 106
  1. #41  
    So your basically saying that if Palm would of started out with a slab or landscape phone and it failed you would blame the form factor, and I would love to see this ummm "proof" that carriers just rejected the pre 2 as you say because last I checked the pre2 is on the nation largest carrier.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The point is that it has never had a successful run.
    Not once.
    So why in the world would another run of it be successful?

    If HP plans on winning in the market they have to change to what is wanted, not what has failed.


    They don't get to dictate what people want.
    Slabs and landscape sliders.
    That's what people want.

    Look around, that's what's selling.


    You can come up with excuses, and some of them make some sense, but the fact is...it's a failed form factor!
    There is no fact that it's a failed form factor. It's your opinion, something that you are entitled to. That's fine; it's what makes forums interesting.

    The only people 'want' a slab is because Apple made it popular with a little phone in 2007. That was called the iPhone, and it started the second generation of smartphones.

    Why wouldn't a fast, well-built slider sell?
  3. #43  
    JKK, here's the problem:

    Not only is HP evoking the past Palm failures by naming it the Pre and using the exact same form factor, but they are evoking the past failures by issuing an indefinite, yet far off time to market at the beginning of the year that would deflate any buzz people got from hands-ons and looking at the specs at this event.

    We've seen this movie before. I highly doubt there's a twist ending.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    So your basically saying that if Palm would of started out with a slab or landscape phone and it failed you would blame the form factor, and I would love to see this ummm "proof" that carriers just rejected the pre 2 as you say because last I checked the pre2 is on the nation largest carrier.
    Nope, I'm telling you that we know that portrait sliders are not in demand.

    It has been tried x5 times across WebOS, Blackberry and Windows [and likely more that we don't even know of]

    If HP wants to compete they have to give people what they want.
    What is selling.
    Slabs, landscape sliders.
  5. #45  
    something thats still in the market is not a failure at all ! the pre did not fail the hardware failed lol and therefore caused people to be overly cautious thats it ! is has zero to do with the form of the phone ! you should read more or listen to other people more because obviously youve been listening to your self for way to long if you believe your right . lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    JKK, here's the problem:

    Not only is HP evoking the past Palm failures by naming it the Pre and using the exact same form factor, but they are evoking the past failures by issuing an indefinite, yet far off time to market at the beginning of the year that would deflate any buzz people got from hands-ons and looking at the specs at this event.

    We've seen this movie before. I highly doubt there's a twist ending.
    Read through my posts, I readily admit that the release is ridiculous, and that it screams CES '09 to June. I get that. That's going to throw a major wrench in everything if something isn't done there. However, saying that the hardware is a failure is something that I just don't find true.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    RAM: There is no "sweet spot". More is better.
    Untrue. For desktops maybe, but for mobile devices, it depends on available memory technology and battery life.

    Just like how early mobile devices had to have cache pulled.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    There is no fact that it's a failed form factor. It's your opinion, something that you are entitled to. That's fine; it's what makes forums interesting.

    The only people 'want' a slab is because Apple made it popular with a little phone in 2007. That was called the iPhone, and it started the second generation of smartphones.

    Why wouldn't a fast, well-built slider sell?
    I have provided examples of its failure.

    You can come up with any excuses you want but the fact is...it hasn't sold.

    The vast majority don't want it.

    If you could name ONE portarit slider that sold well you could at least have basis for what you're saying.


    I have provided the Torch, Kin, Pre 1, Pre +, Pre 2 as examples of the failure of the form factor.

    <<deleted by moderator>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/10/2011 at 11:20 PM.
  9. #49  
    My outcry is not about the Pre 3. That and the TouchPad were the two things they got right. The Veer is is questionable, the lack of updates for our devices is the worst news I have ever been given with webOS, and the fact that nothing is ready (except for the Veer) for the immediate future is just plain wrong.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Read through my posts, I readily admit that the release is ridiculous, and that it screams CES '09 to June. I get that. That's going to throw a major wrench in everything if something isn't done there. However, saying that the hardware is a failure is something that I just don't find true.
    The form factor just isn't particularly gripping. It looks bulky next to modern slabs. It has a smaller screen than everything except the iPhone, and the iPhone screen is objectively better. People - for the most part - have gotten over QWERTY keyboards.

    What's under the hood is irrelevant. The OS is irrelevant unless you can get people to see it in a commercial or Best Buy and lust after it enough to need to pick it up and play with it.
  11. #51  
    yes ur right it hasn't sold but the reasoning your giving us is just untrue and not even logical if your saying it failed because of the form factor when the same form factor sells millons which renders your agrument invalid
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I have provided examples of its failure.

    You can come up with any excuses you want but the fact is...it hasn't sold.

    The vast majority don't want it.

    If you could name ONE portarit slider that sold well you could at least have basis for what you're saying.


    I have provided the Torch, Kin, Pre 1, Pre +, Pre 2 as examples of the failure of the form factor.

    <<deleted by moderator>>
    I can give you plenty of portrait sliders that sell. They are all feature phones, and wouldn't exist if they didn't.

    There have been no smartphones that are in said form factor that haven't had a major problem. I've already listed them for you.

    You are basing your argument on the form factor. People don't like the form factor, and that's why the devices haven't sold. OK, that sounds great. Until you look at each and every device, and figure out that something else has been fundamentally wrong with it.

    You don't think that slow performance is worse than a slider form factor? You don't believe that your phone cracking down the side could be a greater inconvenience than a keyboard that slides up into the device?

    I don't know about you, but if a phone with a great form factor absolutely sucks, I won't be buying that device.

    Once again, you are stating your opinion as fact.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/10/2011 at 11:20 PM.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    yes ur right it hasn't sold but the reasoning your giving us is just untrue and not even logical if your saying it failed because of the form factor when the same form factor sells millons which renders your agrument invalid



    And your counter argument is that you don't believe it's a failure...
  14. #54  
    I think portrait sliders are for a niche market and only catering to such a small percentage will not boost sales.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #55  
    there are all kinds of phones that have failed lol and they have all kinds of form factors lol ha ha ha ah your making me roflol !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    I've already stated my opinion, why I stand by it, and why you are wrong. People don't like slow phones. People don't like buggy phones. If a phone is buggy and slow, then of course nobody will buy it.

    PS: Your argument is with the form factor itself. Therefore, it shouldn't matter whether or not the device is a smartphone or a dumbphone. Dumbphones in this form factor sell. I do believe that that would show that there is nothing inherently wrong with the form factor.
    My argument is that the portrait slider form factor is not what smartphone users want, so yes, it does matter.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    If HP wants to compete they have to give people what they want.
    What is selling.
    Slabs, landscape sliders.
    You do know the BlackBerry Torch is quite common, right? It will die off eventually, but not because of the form factor, but because it's buggy. I've used it.

    I'm not arguing that HP should only release one form factor like what they are doing right now is the way to go, if anything I kind of question the Veer.

    But saying EVERYONE wants a slate is a bold statement. I know I don't want one, and I know people who went from a keyboarded device to slate and had to pay to go back.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You do know the BlackBerry Torch is quite common, right? It will die off eventually, but not because of the form factor, but because it's buggy. I've used it.
    AT&T Disappointed with BlackBerry Torch, Blames iPhone

    BlackBerry Torch already selling for half-off - Aug. 17, 2010


    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm not arguing that HP should only release one form factor like what they are doing right now is the way to go, if anything I kind of question the Veer.

    But saying EVERYONE wants a slate is a bold statement. I know I don't want one, and I know people who went from a keyboarded device to slate and had to pay to go back.
    Please tell me where I said everyone wants a slab.

    I said slab and landscape sliders, thanks.
  19.    #59  
    Not everyone wants a slab or a landscape slider.

    Have you ever tried these form factors for a year or more? Compared and contrast the two? Or is this just, "grass is always greener on the other side?"
  20. #60  
    and we can't just look at this as an usa thing these phones sell internationaly
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions