Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm a little confused about this. I have tried looking it up with no luck. This will be very important in my decission to get the Pre3. Does anyone know, or is it an unknown at this point? I'm suprised knowone else is asking about this.
    [Meanie hat on]
    Use search. Better yet, read the PreCentral coverage.
    [/Meanie hat off]
    No it will not. They announced it's HSPA+ (which has been tested to run as fast as most competitor's 4G networks) and EVDOrevA which is just 3G for CDMA.
    HSPA+ is/will be marketed as 4G for T Mobile and AT&T, and the Palm Pre 3 supports HSPA+

Sprint's 4G network is WiMax.
    Verizon's 4G network will be LTE.

If you consider WiMax or LTE to be "4G" then you need to consider HSPA+ to be "4G".
    They would've used 4G, wouldn't they?
    Or 'EVO Killer' LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HSPA+ is/will be marketed as 4G for T Mobile and AT&T, and the Palm Pre 3 supports HSPA+

Sprint's 4G network is WiMax.
    Verizon's 4G network will be LTE.

If you consider WiMax or LTE to be "4G" then you need to consider HSPA+ to be "4G".
    It depends which HSPA radio they put in it. I believe they come in 7mbps, 14mbps, 21mbps, and 42mbps. My numbers may be slightly off, but you get the idea. Tmo 4G phones are currently being released with the 21mbps radio.

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Ok... So I'm not a real technical guy but that sounds like a YES?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinjohn23 View Post
    Ok... So I'm not a real technical guy but that sounds like a YES?
    Depends which radio they use. The answer is "maybe" lol

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    HSPA+ networks are almost all 21Mbit/s. T Mobile is using 21Mbit/s currently and moving to 42Mbit/s.

The real world expected speeds for T Mobile and AT&T HSPA+ networks are expected to be very competitive with WiMax. Arguing theoretical maximums is kinda moot because nobody sees them.

So the answer is almost definitely YES.
    Tmobile or Att... Yes

Verizon or Sprint... No

Now we wait to hear where this thing lands.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    HSPA+ networks are almost all 21Mbit/s. T Mobile is using 21Mbit/s currently and moving to 42Mbit/s.

The real world expected speeds for T Mobile and AT&T HSPA+ networks are expected to be very competitive with WiMax. Arguing theoretical maximums is kinda moot because nobody sees them.

So the answer is almost definitely YES.
    Sweet thanks. I guess we are really just waiting for carriers then... Come on Sprint and lets get-r-done...
    Its only going to be 3G on sprint.
    Why won't this work on 4G with Sprint? (sorry, this is for the uneducated of us...just me?...really?...fine! I still want to know). :P
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Why won't this work on 4G with Sprint? (sorry, this is for the uneducated of us...just me?...really?...fine! I still want to know). :P
    Sprint uses a WiMax network for 4G that uses a completely different radio technology than HSPA+ or LTE. Since an HSPA+ radio can't communicate on a WiMax network, it cannot use 4G on Sprint assuming there are no additional changes released which would make WiMax on the Pre 3 possible.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Because Sprint and Verizon is CDMA and they only have EVDOrevA (3G) on the Pre3

But if you were to get it in AT&T or T-Mobile it would be HSPA+ wich they're are calling it 4G
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    I thought AT&T was going with LTE for 4G has this changed recently?
    Sprint uses a WiMax network for 4G that uses a completely different radio technology than HSPA+ or LTE. Since an HSPA+ radio can't communicate on a WiMax network, it cannot use 4G on Sprint assuming there are no additional changes released which would make WiMax on the Pre 3 possible.
    So is it possible to get Palm to put a radio in that would be compatible with WiMax?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

It's highly unlikely as from what I understand, the Pre 3's SoC wasn't designed to support WiMax.
    I can't see why anyone would want to buy a phone in the summer time that doesn't support 4g. Just about every other smart phone will be 4g by then, quite possibly including the iphone on verzion.

such a silly move by HP, I'm still shaking my head a whole day later
    wish they would release carrier info so know whether im getting the pre2 or pre 3
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast