Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmarg View Post
    I don't like Sprint.
    Why not? Coverage may not be the best, but you can't beat the price and customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    is there any concrete evidence that says HP did not decide to add 4G radios last minute?
    No, but that's not exactly a "last-minute" thing they could do in a timely fashion. You're talking a pretty big re-design there. If they want to make their summer release window, they're not putting LTE or WiMax in this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    No, but that's not exactly a "last-minute" thing they could do in a timely fashion. You're talking a pretty big re-design there. If they want to make their summer release window, they're not putting LTE or WiMax in this thing.
    if you had to guess, how long would it take to do such a feat? shortest preferably.
    ^ I've only been on the sales side of the cellular business, never engineering, so I'm really not qualified to even guess. PLus we don't have enough information as to when the Pre3 was designed, when the first prototypes were built, etc. So your guess is as good as mine.

Wild guess: 6 months. From deciding to re-design for 4G (WiMax or LTE), to phones on shelves. If they pushed it, and if the carriers were behind them. Again ... wild guess.
    Hi everyone,

Unless this issue has changed from the last time I posted about this, actually NO COMPANY HAS 4G....apparertly 4G las a legal definition and even if you are in an area that has 4G service, non of the systems here in the USA have tested out to the legal definition of 4G! But, 4G is slapped on a phone and we get to pay extra for the phone and service.

Take care,

Jay

This is cut and paste from another thread which is located here, on the second page of the thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...hout-4g-2.html

Here is what I had posted on that thread:

4G: Myth Vs. Reality: New Standard For Speed Not Actually A Standard
    Hi all,

The other day, there was a comment somewhere on this site, that the person was upset that the Pre3 & the Veer where both 3G and not 4G.

I wanted to post this info in reference to 4G. If you go to the link I am providing there will be a link for a video file. If you have any questions go to that as well.

My take on all of this is that until 4G speeds any of the cell providers actually reach 4G, which apparently none of them are at this point. Then I will get a 4G phone.

But why would you want to pay almost $250 extra over a 2 year contract and not actually be getting 4G service? Right now I am very pleased that the Pre3 and the Veer AREN'T 4G PHONES!

If I am not mistaken 1st Sprint said they would charge $10 extra for 4G service and then all the other firms jumped on the ripoff express, that is $240 across a 2 year contract. Then there are taxes on top of the $10 extra. Trust me, I am sure all of you can use the $240 more than the cell providers. For that matter, I am sure all of can use the extra tax fees on the $10 a month as well.

So why don't all of you people that are so upset over the Pre3 and Veer not be 4G read the article below and then take a deep breath and relax a little!
    Take care,

Jay

4G: Myth Vs. Reality
    New Standard For Speed Not Actually A Standard
    POSTED: Monday, February 7, 2011
    UPDATED: 8:19 am EST February 8, 2011

4G: Myth Vs. Reality - Technology News Story - WKMG Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- In an informal survey conducted by Local 6 about wireless carriers and network speed, few consumers could truly define what the wireless industry today is calling 4G. The ubiquitous TV commercials tout it as the latest, fastest technology available for smartphones. Every carrier has its version of 4G. The key word is "version" because, according to Local 6 research, no carrier actually meets the standard set by the International Telecommunication Union for 4G technology.

VIDEO: Cell Service Test
    3G (the current network speed with uniform standards) and 4G refer to how fast a cellular device can move information (i.e. browsing the Internet, downloading or uploading e-mail attachments, photos, and videos). The wireless industry is selling consumers on the idea that a 4G network will perform faster than the 3G network that is widely used today. The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which sets the standard for the industry, officially set the criteria for 4G speed at 100 megabits per second. The ITU recognized only two candidate technologies, LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced that, according to specs, can reach those speeds.

Currently, those technologies exist as specs only. Neither technology has been fully developed and applied. Consequently, no wireless carrier today is operating at 4G speeds as defined by the ITU.

So, why are most, if not all, wireless carriers saying they offer 4G?

According to Perry LaForge, Executive Director of CDMA Development Group, a company that helped set up the global 3G network, the ITU came under pressure from the wireless industry to water down the standards. In fact, a month after the ITU defined 4G as 100 megabits per second, it announced that 3G networks with a "substantial level of improvement" could also be called 4G. "People are calling everything 4G at this point," LaForge said. "The ITU did make it significantly nebulous by saying we will allow other 3G technologies that show improvement."

That may explain why carriers are blasting the airwaves with all those commercials promising the fastest 4G network. The truth is actually in the fine print. The fine print reveals to consumers exactly how each carrier defines 4G now since LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced are not available. In reality, consumers would have to buy a new phone now to use what the industry is calling 4G and then another phone when real 4G is achieved. "This stuff is just more of a matter of marketing gone haywire," LaForge said.

LaForge told Local 6 that a true 4G, 100 megabit per second data speed, should be available within a three-to-four-year time frame. In the meantime, LaForge said consumers who are shopping for faster data rates should make sure there is actual coverage in their areas for the so-called 4G being offered by their providers. Consumers should also check that their devices can connect to the 4G network, as coverage is not consistent throughout North America.
    Copyright 2011 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This already-referenced article is the best I've seen yet on the faux-4G issue.
    The FCC filing for the CDMA/GSM Pre3 had no 4G capabilities.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    i care about the speed, not how they brand it.

as long as its >2mbps, Im fine, they can call it whatever they want.
    "4G", yes, but 4G, no.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    "4G", yes, but 4G, no.
    So true
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    HI all,

A.K.A. 4G in name only!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HI all,

A.K.A. 4G in name only!

Take care,

Jay
    How fast will the Pre 3 be able to download with WiFi? What is it capable of? Thanks.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234