Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    None of the networks are doing "true 4G" so no phone is 4G right now.
    True but that doesn't mean there aren't phones out there with radios that access higher speed networks which the carriers call "4G". That's what is out there so people want that speed. The true standards of 4G are irrelevant.
  2. #42  
    HP will market it as a 4G device they marketing the veer like that.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

    If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  3. #43  
    If they market the Veer as 4G, and the GSM Pre3 after that as 4G... what are they going to say about the non-4G CDMA Pre3?

    I wonder if that has something to do with why only the GSM Pre3 has shown up in the FCC listings. This may be wishful thinking, but maybe HP is wondering if they can cram either a WiMax or LTE radio in the the CDMA version.
  4. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    I thought AT&T was going with LTE for 4G has this changed recently?
    They have no LTE devices announced and I'm pretty sure their LTE network is nonexistent ATM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  5. #45  
    There is no reason to think the Pre3 is is not 4g on CDMA. The reason the tech was not announced was because it would reveal what carrier the phone is going to. (duh)
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    There is no reason to think the Pre3 is is not 4g on CDMA. The reason the tech was not announced was because it would reveal what carrier the phone is going to. (duh)
    how would it reveal the carrier? both sprint and Verizon have 4g networks.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    They have no LTE devices announced and I'm pretty sure their LTE network is nonexistent ATM.
    They aren't in a hurry to get LTE up and running.
    It was easier for them to just make up their own definition for 4G.
    Just call me Berd.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    how would it reveal the carrier? both sprint and Verizon have 4g networks.
    Sprint is Wimax verizon is LTE. Note that they also skipped over the GSM bands on Feb 9th. That would have indicated what GSM carrier they were going to.

    See a pattern? Sure they could have just said "4G" but for whatever reson they needed to either announce the exact tech or nothing at all. Notice they did not just say 4G for GSM, they announced HSDPA+.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Sprint is Wimax verizon is LTE. Note that they also skipped over the GSM bands on Feb 9th. That would have indicated what GSM carrier they were going to.

    See a pattern? Sure they could have just said "4G" but for whatever reson they needed to either announce the exact tech or nothing at all. Notice they did not just say 4G for GSM, they announced HSDPA+.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I understand that. what i'm saying is: right now, we don't know which CDMA carrier will get the Pre3.

    If they announced that the Pre3 would be a 4G, we still wouldn't know which CDMA carriers would get it. They certainly can reveal the generation of the device without revealing exactly what type of radio is in it.

    there IS reason to believe the Pre3 wont be 4g... they didnt say it would.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    If they announced that the Pre3 would be a 4G, we still wouldn't know which CDMA carriers would get it. They certainly can reveal the generation of the device without revealing exactly what type of radio is in it.
    They clearly didn't want to talk about what is 4G and what is not 4G. IDK if you noticed, but that's a bit of a hot topic, as to what tech actually constitutes 4G. Your point would be valid had they made any mention of 4G at any point during the Feb 9th event. They never refered to HSDPA+ as 4G either, and yet we now know that they are marketing it as such, now that they have made carrier arrangements. It's a carrier's problem as to what they are going to call 4G and what they are not. Since they can't talk about LTE or Wimax... they didn't talk about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    there IS reason to believe the Pre3 wont be 4g... they didn't say it would.
    With that logic, since they did not announce a release date I suppose there is a reason to believe the device will never be released.

    You're probably right, I bet HP just thought, 4G was a fad. People will eventually think 3G is better cause it's more retro. :/
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 04/30/2011 at 11:33 AM.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    They clearly didn't want to talk about what is 4G and what is not 4G. IDK if you noticed, but that's a bit of a hot topic, as to what tech actually constitutes 4G. Your point would be valid had they made any mention of 4G at any point during the Feb 9th event. They never refered to HSDPA+ as 4G either, and yet we now know that they are marketing it as such, now that they have made carrier arrangements. It's a carrier's problem as to what they are going to call 4G and what they are not. Since they can't talk about LTE or Wimax... they didn't talk about it.


    With that logic, since they did not announce a release date I suppose there is a reason to believe the device will never be released.

    You're probably right, I bet HP just thought, 4G was a fad. People will eventually think 3G is better cause it's more retro. :/
    The fallacy in your argument is that they announced that the Pre3 WILL BE released.

    also they, publicly announced that the Veer would be HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA 5.76 which is 4g according to to american carriers that use it. Wether or not HP chose to brand the Veer with the 4G label, we knew it was capable of 4g. In other words, we've known since feb9 the veer was a 4g device.

    with the pre3 on the other hand, they won't even tell us if its 4g capable. they CAN do this without telling us the actual radios involved and subsequently revealing the carriers.

    and i'm sure HP doesn't think 4G is just a fad, but this device has been in development for a long time. There's a chance that 4g was not in the plans. Not to mention, there are plenty of successful devices coming out every month that are not 4g capable. there are plenty of reasons not to include 4g, price being one of them.

    also consider HP/Palm insistence on going against trends. in the US all 5 of the top 5 phones in Q1 were we touchscreen only, yet the pre3 is not. 4 out of 5 of the top 5 offer upto 32 gigs of storage. yet the pre3 does not. shall i continue?


    i'm not saying the pre3 wont be 4g capable, but there's also no reason to ASSUME it will be included...
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/30/2011 at 09:33 PM.
  12. #52  
    I don't like Sprint.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/18/2011 at 02:06 AM.
  13. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #53  
    Marketing-wise calling the phone the "Pre 3 4G" doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it? Sounds confusing....
  14. #54  
    Don't you think it would look pretty stupid on HP's part to consumers should they have a low end 4g Veer on one network while having their flagship Pre 3 with only 3g on another?
  15. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #55  
    Its mostly marketing. Yes, AT&T is in theory moving towards a form of LTE. No, what they are calling 4G today won't work with that.

    And even where it has what AT&T calls 4G, it won't work at those speeds in many (most?) markets until they do their "backhaul" upgrades to their towers.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HSPA+ is/will be marketed as 4G for T Mobile and AT&T, and the Palm Pre 3 supports HSPA+

    Sprint's 4G network is WiMax.
    Verizon's 4G network will be LTE.

    If you consider WiMax or LTE to be "4G" then you need to consider HSPA+ to be "4G".
    Unfortunately many people are confused about what 4G is. Speed alone does not determine what a 4G network is and HSPA+ is not 4G, it is however the fastest 3G standard available.

    4G is a standard set by the International Telecommunication Union and some of the requirements for the 4G standard is an all-IP packet switched network that allows multi-carrier transmission. There are also requirements for the speed, spectrum and services.

    LTE and WiMAX are not technically 4G networks as of now because they do not meet all the requirements of the 4G standard, they are considered to be pre-4G.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Unfortunately many people are confused about what 4G is. Speed alone does not determine what a 4G network is and HSPA+ is not 4G, it is however the fastest 3G standard available.

    4G is a standard set by the International Telecommunication Union and some of the requirements for the 4G standard is an all-IP packet switched network that allows multi-carrier transmission. There are also requirements for the speed, spectrum and services.

    LTE and WiMAX are not technically 4G networks as of now because they do not meet all the requirements of the 4G standard, they are considered to be pre-4G.
    Plus, we can add to that that LTE and WiMax are technically the 4th generation of new network deployment for their respective carriers. Unlike HSPA+ which is just an upgrade of the GSM carriers' existing 3G network.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinjohn23 View Post
    I'm a little confused about this. I have tried looking it up with no luck. This will be very important in my decission to get the Pre3. Does anyone know, or is it an unknown at this point? I'm suprised knowone else is asking about this.
    This an easy question to answer .... NO

    The Pre3 is a CMDA world phone with 3G speeds.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  19. #59  
    You know, I wonder if this issue might be one of the things holding up a carrier announcement.

    AT&T is most certainly going to brand their Pre3 as "4G," no matter how stupid it sounds. But VZW can't do that with their EvDO rev A version. AT&T and T-Mobile are definitely lying their pants off about the "4G" nonsense, but at least they're talking about HSPA. For VZW to claim that Rev. A is "4G" would just be ludicrous.

    So Verizon is faced with the prospect of selling the same phone as their arch-nemesis, except without being able to tack on the stylish "4G" label. I bet this has them somewhat concerned.

    If all this be true, I wonder if VZW is trying to get some concessions out of HP to level the playing field. A 30- or 60-day exclusive on the Pre3, maybe?
  20. #60  
    is there any concrete evidence that says HP did not decide to add 4G radios last minute?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions