Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the pictures and videos I've seen it appears that both the Veer and Pre3 sliders do not open along an arc. Is the arc now gone?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I see an arc just less of a dramatic one honestly
    ^ My God, there are a lot of cave-dwellers in here as of late. Can't wait till the site settles down again.

OP: yeah I noticed the lack of an arc, too. I found the original Pre's arc-slide to be one of the more compelling things about the hardware, so it makes me sad to see it go. Then again, I'm sure it will increase the reliability of the slide hardware, so that's a plus.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Right, if there is an arc to the slider it is very subtle, or so I can determine from the pics.

I imagine there is still a little bit.

I agree, sure wish they would confine the complaining to just some of the threads instead of all threads.
    Dan
    Well being that the phone is thinner, there can only be so much arc in it.
    The arc being less isn't a bad thing. I always found the Pre Plus arc slightly annoying cause the device won't lie flat on a table. It has a tendency to spin around and not stay still when operating the touch screen. That's with the rubberized touchstone back. I'm sure the slick backed Pre is even worse.
    I see in almost all pics it's straight. Not necessarily a bad thing, since while it looks nice, it's the culprit of all the cases of Oreo. The curved motion prematurely wore down the hooks and increased the clearance, thus causing the issue.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by fguills75 View Post
    Why should we care anymore is a better question!

Let me guess.... you wanted a slab

The arc on the phone.... to me... is a great feature. When you extend the slider, the length of the phone is LOONG (relative to a slab) and if you do the shoulder ear pinch thing, it actually keeps the mic near your mouth and the phone/mic has that arc/curve to it to match your head. Bottomline, it feels like a "real" phone when your talking, not a small thin piece of tile.

Dont get me wrong, Im glad the back is flatter now for the point that it wont wiggle when watching a video with it on your desk or whatever, also.

Ever wonder why most landlines phones have an arc to them? Its not a new theory. Why that isn't obvious to some, I can't guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Let me guess.... you wanted a slab

The arc on the phone.... to me... is a great feature. When you extend the slider, the length of the phone is LOONG (relative to a slab) and if you do the shoulder ear pinch thing, it actually keeps the mic near your mouth and the phone/mic has that arc/curve to it to match your head. Bottomline, it feels like a "real" phone when your talking, not a small thin piece of tile.

Dont get me wrong, Im glad the back is flatter now for the point that it wont wiggle when watching a video with it on your desk or whatever, also.

Ever wonder why most landlines phones have an arc to them? Its not a new theory. Why that isn't obvious to some, I can't guess.
    Actually the mic on the Pre is on the top half. The Pre 3 has it on the bottom but no longer arcs...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    From the pictures and videos I've seen it appears that both the Veer and Pre3 sliders do not open along an arc. Is the arc now gone?
    I have held it in my hand, there is no arc. It is quite solid and feels very nice.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Yeah I no longer see an arc either. This no doubt will help alleviate the oreo cookie issue that the original Pre suffered.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    With the design and thin front part, the only hardware peices in the front part look to be the screen itself, the camera, and the top speaker. The rest look to reside in the back, thus not making it top heavy when the slider is out.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually the mic on the Pre is on the top half. The Pre 3 has it on the bottom but no longer arcs...
    I noticed this too, (the mic on bottom of keyboard), and I've seen the question asked, but not answered, "does the slider have to be open for voice calls?" - when closed the mic will now be covered. ..does it matter?

...and not for nothin' but, I LOVE the Pre3! It is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

For those unhappy it's not a slab / or other form factor, it's possibly that could still happen, but if _I_ was in that "camp", I would go get a phone that made me happy NOW, and not wait for one to come from HP. (and I would be torn between a Verizon iPhone or a Sprint Evo Shift.) ...but, like a great game of "go Fish!" I "got what I wanted!!" ;-)
    Speaking of oreos, at the superbowl party I went to, they had oreos shaped like footballs. I had a 'hey, that reminds me of a pre...sort of" moment. I'm sure no one else had such a moment at the party, since they were pulling for the Steelers and were sadly glued to the tv screen.

The curve was probably THE most intriguing thing about the Pre that drew me to look more closely at it. Sure, it may have it's issues with design/build/durability, but it's elegance was above and beyond any other phone i had seen. Of course, since the mic was on the upper half, it didn't matter as much. With the Pre3 mic down below, it would have been more utilitarian and not just aesthetic.

I have now used all the words of the day on my list, so I will stop typing now...after the ellipse...I mean now.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    ...and if you do the shoulder ear pinch thing, it actually keeps the mic near your mouth and the phone/mic has that arc/curve to it to match your head.
    My Pre- garbles my voice when I hold it on my shoulder, is it just me? Hope to be better with Pre³, but not huge deal as it is an infrequent use for me.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Played with the Veer the other day in SF, the arc isn't very noticeable -- frankly the Veer feels really amazing in the hand and if I could remove that battery I'd totally consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    My Pre- garbles my voice when I hold it on my shoulder, is it just me? Hope to be better with Pre³, but not huge deal as it is an infrequent use for me.
    That's because you're covering the mic. See my post above...

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Ahh, like I said I do this infrequently, so I prob should try it on my right ear & shoulder. Thx
    I see pandas.
  19. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have held it in my hand, there is no arc. It is quite solid and feels very nice.
    Hey pastorrich1, it's 'pivs' from the webosgatherup!

Yeah, I got to hold the Pre 3 too, and it does feel solid, no arc. I never liked the curved slider, felt it was the main reason for the oreo effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I noticed this too, (the mic on bottom of keyboard), and I've seen the question asked, but not answered, "does the slider have to be open for voice calls?" - when closed the mic will now be covered. ..does it matter?

...and not for nothin' but, I LOVE the Pre3! It is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

For those unhappy it's not a slab / or other form factor, it's possibly that could still happen, but if _I_ was in that "camp", I would go get a phone that made me happy NOW, and not wait for one to come from HP. (and I would be torn between a Verizon iPhone or a Sprint Evo Shift.) ...but, like a great game of "go Fish!" I "got what I wanted!!" ;-)
    If I am not mistaken, it is not a microphone that is in the bottom half of the phone. It is for noise-cancellation. I saw it in a youtube video of a hp representative demoing the phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast