Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I follow all the Apple product announcements, and after watching the live blogs of yesterday's HP event, I can say that HP doesn't get it.

What does Apple give that HP doesn't?

1. Release Dates
    2. Prices
    3. Carriers

So, here we are, not knowing when, where, and how much these new devices will cost.

Fail.

How could HP not line up their carriers before the event? These partnerships are crucial, and people expect to know who they are working with.

Oh, and did you know that Flash will be coming to webOS? LOL! Been hearing that for a year and a half.
    They are still months away from release. I'm sure the details will come later. Don't get your panties in a wad (yet).
    though I agree with the OP, with the CEO stating it will be available within weeks they really dropped the ball stating their two biggest devices the Pre 3, and the tablet wont be available until the summer. I do hope in the next few days that they clear up what happened with that statement, and which carriers will be carring what and the price. These are the things HP needs right now, if they intend on rebirthing webos to the world. To me this is no excuse not having those three questions answered at this show.
  4.    #4  
    Well, Apple has announced products (like the original iPhone) and more recently the iPhone 4, many months in advance of availability. However, they were clear on who the carrier would be, and they were clear on price.

Right or wrong, Apple has set the bar pretty high on mobile devices, and I don't see HP measuring up.

I have been a Palm user since the VERY beginning, and I've stuck them through this, and I truly think webOS is a better operating system than iOS or Android. But I'm also cheap, and there is nothing out there cheaper than Sprint.

I'm still using my original Palm Pre (who else can say that?) without a single scratch on it. But I doubt it will last forever!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    LOL though HP screwed up just like Palm lets not forget the white iphone 4 which was announced to be available and was on their site ( i know i ordered day 1) and is still yet to be released so lets keep it real lol
    Well, I'd say the Pre 2 fiasco matches that pretty well. I love that they are now trying to sell them on Verizon, although I guess that's no different than selling iPhone 4 on Verizon now, when 5 is just around the corner.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Hewlett-Packard has been around for a long time (without smartphones)
    and will remain here with or without a smartphone
    HP was the first IT company to top $100 billion in revenue
    in 2010 it reported $120 billion
    they can make you wait 6-7 months for a smartphone they are not losing money by doing it
    HP won't ride on the success or failure of their smartphones

We all just have to face the truth...Palm is gone
    HP has control and smartphones are in the back burner behind their PC's, printers,tablets and toasters
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post
    Hewlett-Packard has been around for a long time (without smartphones)
    and will remain here with or without a smartphone
    HP was the first IT company to top $100 billion in revenue
    in 2010 it reported $120 billion
    they can make you wait 6-7 months for a smartphone they are not losing money by doing it
    HP won't ride on the success or failure of their smartphones

HP has control and smartphones are in the back burner behind their PC's, printers,tablets and toasters
    If this is what HP does on their back burner imagine what they can do with HP focusing on smartphones. The Pre 3 is a very good phone. I agree though that HP focusing on the tablet.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I think they are going to focus more on the corporate/enterprise partners than on consumers... after all, the Pre 3 is a smartphone for "professionals." That's how it was announced.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post

And this is my point exactly. HP doesn't see the value in handheld devices. Apple has put more resources into developing the iPhone and iPad, and now those segments have eclipsed their PC segment.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If this is what HP does on their back burner imagine what they can do with HP focusing on smartphones. The Pre 3 is a very good phone. I agree though that HP focusing on the tablet.
    I think there is an important distinction. That HP is focusing on the tablet *right now.* Like it or not, as CES showed us this year is the year of the tablet in the consumer tech industry. As such, HP has to push their tablet to even get it noticed. But that isn’t to say that they are *only* concentrating on tablets.

I think they did a pretty good job of expressing that, long term, what they are really pushing to differentiate themselves from the run-of-the-mill cell phone makers (and even Apple) is the desire to integrate tablets, phones, PCs, etc. together. After the touchpad ships, I think you will see them focus on that most of all.

4 months from now, if/when everyone can get their hands on the pre3 and a touchpad (I’ll be happy) but the proof about HPs commitment to this market will be in seeing what new handsets they announce. If all they have is pre3 and the veer (or whatever that little one is called) then yes, the haters can claim that HP is this or that. If they are announcing some 4.5”+ slab and maybe a landscape slider, then it would be pretty apparent how dedicated they are to the phone market.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I think there is an important distinction. That HP is focusing on the tablet *right now.* Like it or not, as CES showed us this year is the year of the tablet in the consumer tech industry. As such, HP has to push their tablet to even get it noticed. But that isn’t to say that they are *only* concentrating on tablets.

I think they did a pretty good job of expressing that, long term, what they are really pushing to differentiate themselves from the run-of-the-mill cell phone makers (and even Apple) is the desire to integrate tablets, phones, PCs, etc. together. After the touchpad ships, I think you will see them focus on that most of all.

4 months from now, if/when everyone can get their hands on the pre3 and a touchpad (I’ll be happy) but the proof about HPs commitment to this market will be in seeing what new handsets they announce. If all they have is pre3 and the veer (or whatever that little one is called) then yes, the haters can claim that HP is this or that. If they are announcing some 4.5”+ slab and maybe a landscape slider, then it would be pretty apparent how dedicated they are to the phone market.

-Suntan
    true but I think they are focusing on the smartphone market too, otherwise why even mention the VEER and Pre3 so intensly and have such hardcore specs in it. As well as the rumor of the mansion, and the broadway I think they see smartphones is still a major part of webos. I just think they need to push releases up drasticly right now since they dont have anything out still not even the forgotton pre 2.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Well there is only one Apple, and lets face it. No one device is gonna be an i-whatever killer.

That being said I wish EVERY company would announce pricing and all that jazz at these freakin Press Conferences. If obvious the world is watching, these things aren't for industry insiders anymore.

And Flash? Well flash makes things slow most of the time, I find that standard annoying. I get that we need it but I find the whole argument tiresome. I think Flash and mobile devices just don't effin mix, does that mean HP should pull an Apple and not support it? Nah we need it to appease the masses. So it doesn't break my heart...it isn't gonna guide my purchase but yeah we need that.
    Quote Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post
    I think they are going to focus more on the corporate/enterprise partners than on consumers... after all, the Pre 3 is a smartphone for "professionals." That's how it was announced.
    Well, it makes some sense. The androids are all over the map and would be an IT nightmare to try and accommodate all those. Iphones aren’t really tailored to corporate needs either.

A pre3 world phone with true features that are attractive to corporate wants (assuming they continue to build that up) would seem to be a good market seeing as that is currently a large business for HP in other market segments.

It’s not like a couple years back when “business phone” meant “you’re going to get a Blackberry and like it.” A pre3 with business capabilities (mostly world phone capability is what I appreciate) will be great and I don’t really see any sacrifices that have resulted from it.

-Suntan
    Maybe knowing you r announcing superior products to whats on the market at the time of the announcement gives you confidence. Steve Jobs speaks better, doesnt look down at the teleprompter so much, and explains less. Also, he does his own demos. I think Steve is done because theres nothing else revolutionary un the way of form factors that people will want to announce right now. So i dont kno how good future apple annoucments will be, and an indicator of that is Eddie Q.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    @ Suntan,

Good points,
    but when most IT guys think palm as PalmOS still, they have a long way to go.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

I agree HP could really blow Apple out of the water IF they tried

I was disappointed yeasterday but after looking at the Pre 3 it's a sweet phone
    I will get it IF it comes to Sprint (I'm not leaving Sprint.. I can't deal
    with Verzion again and AT&T has zero signal where I live)

you can get on here cry about it not haven't a dual core processor
    or what ever but I bet IF they would put the same specs into a phone with a landscape keyboard and called the HP C40 people would be crazy about it

this HP first smartphone and they played it safe
    and made it look like the same phone people have been carrying around
    for a couple of years is the ONLY problem
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    true but I think they are focusing on the smartphone market too, otherwise why even mention the VEER and Pre3 so intensly and have such hardcore specs in it. As well as the rumor of the mansion, and the broadway I think they see smartphones is still a major part of webos. I just think they need to push releases up drasticly right now since they dont have anything out still not even the forgotton pre 2.
    Oh, I agree. Personally, I think HP is dedicated to the phone market. Buying webOS (sorry guys, they didn’t buy Palm…they bought webOS) would seem awfully costly if they just wanted it to sync tablets to printers. I was more commenting that they will need to announce a massive slab phone before the Androiders will be content.

As for release date. Again, I agree. But come on, do you think you would be able to find anyone from the CEO down through the phone division that would say, “No… we see a market advantage in *not* releasing any phones until mid year…” Of course not. I am sure they are trying to release these products as soon as possible. Customers won’t give them any slack, but absorbing a billion dollars worth of outside company causes all sorts of issues. I’ve seen, from the inside, two different major company acquisitions (nothing on the scale of a billion dollars) and it causes a lot of lost time on projects. It shouldn’t. But it does.

From the indulgent position of the armchair quarterback, looking at their situation with no real information on what’s happening inside the company. I’d have to say that, while I don’t think they have pulled off a spectacular feat in getting these products to market by the “summer,” I also don’t think they have just been sitting around dallywacking.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    It's unfortunate but I'm sure the main reason the pre3 won't be out till summer is due to the CPU being SO new. Probably just not ready for mass production yet. The veer will be out first and judging by the teaser leaked last week and the late addition of "think ahead" I think they only originally planned to have the veer and touch pad announcements. Probably got worried people would wig out if the only new phone they announced was a tiny little niche device. The veer is a great companion to the touchpad and they would want to announce the TP (lol) early to help keep people form jumping on other tablets in the mean time.

Yesterday did not go at all how I an many of you hoped, but I'm still hopeful that in the long run things are looking way up for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    @ Suntan,

Good points,
    but when most IT guys think palm as PalmOS still, they have a long way to go.
    Yeah, but that’s probably the best thing HP can do for Palm. A Palm regional sales manager might not even get his foot in the door with a CTO. The HP rep, on the other hand, can end the meeting with, “Now that we have updated the yearly contract for servers and workstations, let me show this new HP phone I’ve been using for the last month or two. It’s called the Pre 3 and I think you’ll be pretty happy with the way it can be set up with your existing HP servers…”

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Then there was this (rumor) story run here on PreCentral...

http://www.precentral.net/apotheker-...omputing-rumor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast