Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1.    #1  
    So im taking my htc evo shift back today. i had the evo and the evo shift and their reception is just down right crap. im thinking about going to the palm pre 2 or just waiting for the palm pre 3 and not having a phone for a while, but there are some features that i would really like to see from android incorporated into webos.

    1. Wider range of supported media formats.... mp4, avi, etc.
    2. Download support in the browser
    3. Voice to text
    4. I'd also like to see it slide down and sideways for gaming (snes, nes, sega)

    counterbond
  2. mrtonk's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #2  
    Navigation! (Don't say Navit)
  3. #3  
    Voice Actions
    Swype
    HDMI
  4. #4  
    - Third-party Homescreen/Launcher replacements
    - Notifications in top bar
    - Options and settings! Android has a setting or option for anything you could imagine... lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  5. #5  
    a release date.
    and carrier info.
  6. #6  
    I disagree about it sliding sideways. A big no! Everybody don't buy phones to play games. But I agree that android has some features that webos should have standard and really some phone specs too.

    Like:
    Hdmi mirror out
    dual core
    1080p video
    3D(not really but would be cool)
    gyroscope

    All would be cool to have.They don't have a reason to not have it.They can't say its not possible because the evo 3D has all the above but gyroscope I think.
    Last edited by prethadd81; 06/12/2011 at 03:19 PM.
  7. #7  
    I don't understand how "dual core" is a wanted spec (I don't even know how many cores the pre3 will get)

    If you tell me "fast phone, lag free", I understand, but it has nothing to do with dual core...

    Cause then I would like a "quad core" in the pre3
    But 4 cores running at 100Mhz is possible too, and it won't be so fast...

    What I mean is don't focus on cores and Ghz, focus on if it looks fast enough for you, and how long the battery hold. And yet, what I've seen from Veer and Pre3 looks amazingly fast!

    Thing with android is that they throw it on so many different hardwares, none of them is fully optimized. So the more power you give it, the better.
    But for WebOS (and iOS), it's completely different, a slower CPU can give the same feeling of snappiness because the OS is made for this CPU from the beginning, it's not trying (should not try) to do more than it can handle and such.


    I agree about HDMI out, the way Nokia handles it with "Big screen" on N8/E7 is brilliant, check it out:
    And I think gyroscope will be there.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokal View Post
    I don't understand how "dual core" is a wanted spec (I don't even know how many cores the pre3 will get)

    If you tell me "fast phone, lag free", I understand, but it has nothing to do with dual core...

    Cause then I would like a "quad core" in the pre3
    But 4 cores running at 100Mhz is possible too, and it won't be so fast...

    What I mean is don't focus on cores and Ghz, focus on if it looks fast enough for you, and how long the battery hold. And yet, what I've seen from Veer and Pre3 looks amazingly fast!

    Thing with android is that they throw it on so many different hardwares, none of them is fully optimized. So the more power you give it, the better.
    But for WebOS (and iOS), it's completely different, a slower CPU can give the same feeling of snappiness because the OS is made for this CPU from the beginning, it's not trying (should not try) to do more than it can handle and such.


    I agree about HDMI out, the way Nokia handles it with "Big screen" on N8/E7 is brilliant, check it out:
    And I think gyroscope will be there.
    I agree with you entirely... if the OS has been optimized for the hardware... a slower CPU can outperform a more powerful one in almost every area. And I really hate to say this... but the iPhone is a good example... the OS is incredibly responsive and up until the iPhone 4 they were running.... what? 400 and 500 mhz cpus...

    Thats where Androids failing is... and where there is so much splintering and trouble getting updates... too many hardware profiles, and an os that hasnt been optimized for any of them. I found it to be buggy as all get out and down right unreliable... constant crashes and lockups being the main thing... I dont care how fast a phone restarts, I shouldnt have to pull the battery 5 times in a single day because it locked up for some unknown reason while riding around in my pocket unused...(yes, your mileage may vary from mine) Ive tried 3 different android phones... the evo, the epic, and another one I cant even remember its name.. I returned it the next day... at any rate... they sucked. My pre- was way better, and thats saying a lot because lets face it, the pre- leaves some things to be desired too.

    That said... Swype was a wet dream on the Epic... loved it for shooting off quick text messages when I didnt want to bust out the keyboard. Way faster than a physical keyboard, especially after you get it trained well. There was also a program like Shazaam that could listen to a song and identify it for me... loved that. And google goggles, I even used that a few times... those are all programs... I cant think of any actual os features I would have wanted to keep. My young lady replaced her pre with an EVO... and was miserable so I traded her... and was miserable for a few months until I finally broke down and just bought another used pre.
  9. #9  
    I too wondered into the Droid world for a bit with the EPIC 4G, lasted a little over a week and these are the things that I would like to see:
    - Battery that last longer then 2PM before needing to be charged
    - Power consumption to be less then the USB power amount so you can actually charge from the USB and not be fighting a loosing battle of using more mAH running the phone then what the USB can push out.
    - Other Browser options like Firefox
  10. #10  
    - Third-party Homescreen/Launcher replacements
    - Voice commands (ala just speak)
    Gyrascope
    +1

    I really miss the custom launchers of the palmOS days, it seems like in webOS 2 the launcher changed from html to binarys. Is that true? if so maybe that was a precursor to allowing other launchers to replace it.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  11. #11  
    More one-touch functionality from the home screen.
    For example, more icons for launcher bar (two rows instead of one), perhaps some support for widgets (I really like the settings widget in Android that lets you see/toggle settings easily)
  12. #12  
    Google street view navigation.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by counterbond View Post
    So im taking my htc evo shift back today. i had the evo and the evo shift and their reception is just down right crap. im thinking about going to the palm pre 2
    I'm confused. If you had the Evos, those are Sprint phones...the Pre 2 isn't available for Sprint.
  14. #14  
    I guess I don't understand this thread at all....

    If there is anything that even looks remotely familiar from webOS on another platform everyone here is up in arms that someone "stole" it from webOS. Yet here is a thread talking about things they would like to see on webOS from Android.

    Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I guess I don't understand this thread at all....

    If there is anything that even looks remotely familiar from webOS on another platform everyone here is up in arms that someone "stole" it from webOS. Yet here is a thread talking about things they would like to see on webOS from Android.

    Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot...
    I'm with you .. I mean the hardware I get.. But sw wise webOS is its own beast.. I mean like a rancor.. I dont want to put any "features" that change the whole feel of webos.. Whatever features get added cant detract from what webOS is and how it functions..

    Idk what I'm saying right now.. I'm too tired..

    Good ta see ya Garrett!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #16  
    battery monitor
    better camer app
    more apps
    better advertisments
    on screen keyboard
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I guess I don't understand this thread at all....

    If there is anything that even looks remotely familiar from webOS on another platform everyone here is up in arms that someone "stole" it from webOS. Yet here is a thread talking about things they would like to see on webOS from Android.

    Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot...
    Heres the thing with webos when compared to android and ios....Android and apple have been adding tons and tons of features the last 2 years since they reached their explosion point in the market. Palm (now HP) however, hasnt really added as much. Voice commands, voice to text, video calling, etc have all been around for many months. Palm on the other hand is just NOW getting those up to speed. Its only natural that ppl feel webos is behind the game in features because it literally IS. Until HP can get webos up to part with api's and features, we really will be behind the game.

    ^ And thats my only grievance with webos. - you get brand new features coming out now that are still slightly glitchy and semi functional, while all the other platforms are perfecting them and optimizing them on all their big name apps.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GODSPEED44 View Post
    Voice Actions
    Swype
    HDMI
    Swype is a good keyboard and I used it for a long time but I found that it doesn't let you type as fast even though it seems like you are because you have more to think about when you are typing. Not a must have for me.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  19. #19  
    Instant opening apps. Deep integration with more apis.

    and every example here: HTC - HTC Sense

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  20. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #20  
    i'd really like an "agenda" or a widget supported page/screen (somewhat similar to android). personally, that's one of the main features i'd really like to throw in the mix between all the icons of apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions