Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    first - I would like to see some deeper utilization of lockscreen. Improved launcher with option for third party launchers. New desktop layout with launch bar in the middle of screen, widgets in upper, scrollable half of screen and open cards in lower half of screen. notification icons in bottom task bar witch could be pulled upwards to see more detailed notifications.
    graphic EQ with loudness, Igo GPS app,android emulator...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Swype is a good keyboard and I used it for a long time but I found that it doesn't let you type as fast even though it seems like you are because you have more to think about when you are typing. Not a must have for me.

I like it for texting and shorter tasks. If I am typing longer documents I still prefer the physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by counterbond View Post

1. Wider range of supported media formats.... mp4, avi, etc.
    2. Download support in the browser
    These are both options in homebrew. Simply install Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokal View Post
    I don't understand how "dual core" is a wanted spec (I don't even know how many cores the pre3 will get)

If you tell me "fast phone, lag free", I understand, but it has nothing to do with dual core...

Cause then I would like a "quad core" in the pre3
    But 4 cores running at 100Mhz is possible too, and it won't be so fast...

What I mean is don't focus on cores and Ghz, focus on if it looks fast enough for you, and how long the battery hold. And yet, what I've seen from Veer and Pre3 looks amazingly fast!
    I believe you are misunderstanding how cores work in a CPU. Cores simply make it so a CPU can handle more than one input or command at a time. It's like having multiple pipelines. Any webOS device would greatly benefit from a multi core processor due to the sheer nature of how webOS operates. A dual core processor handles two commands at a time. The single core processor on the Pre3 is able to handle one input at a time, though it has a very high clock speed and is able to process everything at a (so I've heard) very snappy speed, therefore multiple cores are not necessary. As long as the experience is fast, smooth and bug free, the CPU can be whatever they want to make it.
    Well there is quite a bit to learn from Android. Lets hope that HPpalm put their whole manpower in bringing out the Touchpad and the other new devices and now start to add some features and solve some problems.

What i like to see:
    - widgets (at least a calendar/agenda, a notes and a weather one)
    - a way to customize the lock screen
    - a way to have alternative launchers/ cardhandling (because the whole cards metapher gets painy when you have e.g. 10 apps open)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Navigation! (Don't say Navit)
    There currently is a navigation app that is 3rd party (not carrier supplied).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I believe you are misunderstanding how cores work in a CPU. Cores simply make it so a CPU can handle more than one input or command at a time. It's like having multiple pipelines. Any webOS device would greatly benefit from a multi core processor due to the sheer nature of how webOS operates. A dual core processor handles two commands at a time. The single core processor on the Pre3 is able to handle one input at a time, though it has a very high clock speed and is able to process everything at a (so I've heard) very snappy speed, therefore multiple cores are not necessary. As long as the experience is fast, smooth and bug free, the CPU can be whatever they want to make it.
    You display only a very surface level understanding of multiple core technology which makes you sound like you know what you're talking about, but you really don't.

First off, just because there are two cores on a device does not mean both cores are being used efficiently. Having an extra core cranking away means you essentially have another full processor eating battery life while not improving user experience.

Dual core technology is almost exclusively beneficial for simultaneous applications running in the background. Can you name a smartphone experience where you'd be running multiple intensive applications in the background that would slow down a properly designed 1.4GHz processor that the Pre3 ships with? No. You can't because it doesn't exist.

If a Pre- clocked at 1GHz, running webOS 1.4.5 runs Sprint Navigation while streaming Pandora and getting emails, text messages, twitter, facebook, and foursquare updates without lagging, you're not going to see lag on a Pre3 because of reasonable application resource requirements. The dual core processor is only a battery life drain for multiple apps on smartphones right now, and for the foreseeable future, btw.

So when does dual core make sense? For single applications, video or photo encoding, database applications, file compression applications, etc. Very few programs can actually effectively use multi-threading to split their code into multiple data streams which can be processed using multiple cores. When the data is split into multiple streams, it must be recombined in the order it was split to avoid a garbage out scenario. Most applications do one process at a time, then move to the next process. That means only when you have simultaneous, yet independent code, can multiple-cores help on a single application. This also comes with a major drawback, btw. Neither core is running at 100% efficiency when it has to wait for the other core to process the second part of the data stream.

Most multi-threaded applications will lose a substantial amount of efficiency when running on multiple cores, yet the overall performance still increases until a certain point. 1 core running 100% efficient is not as good as 2 cores running 80% efficient. This means, even in a situation where the Pre3's processor would be maxed out running a super intensive multi-threaded app (which no ***** should try on a smartphone anyway), it's 1.4GHz processor would be equivalent to at least a 800MHz dual core, and probably a 1.0GHz dual core.

So the truth is, a 1.4GHz single core smartphone processor will run 99% of all smartphone applications faster and with less battery drain than 1.2GHz dual core smartphone processor, and there shouldn't be any multitasking needs where apps are too much for the processor to handle anyway. You'll run out of RAM (auto force kill on Android or TMC on webOS) probably before you hit the processor limits.
    Okies... So back onto the immediately off topic thread. It's not named correctly. Android and webOS are operating systems. They are not hardware devices. Things like landscape sliders and HDMI are hardware features. They have nothing to do with the OS. Android didn't bring you HDMI out or a touch screen or a phone at all for that matter. App availability (that wouldn't be a native webOS app) is even a little gray as to appropriate.

This should be re-titled "Things I'd Like To See on HP Phones" since hardware changes are simply not coming to the Pre3.
    All these consumers are duped into thinking specs are everything by Android advertising. I got news, friends: THEY AREN'T.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I want something slightly different than what Android provides exactly.

I like the card metaphor and to a degree the widget metaphor, but I feel like widgets clutter Android too much. So I want a widget card. Give me a blank card that allows me to drag widgets onto it. Then it can somewhat mimic home screens but have some defined boundaries.

I would also like the launch bar to be multi-page and slide left or right independently from the rest of the cards. In fact if you could make the launcher bar reflect that top 4 or 5 icons from each page of the launcher pages, that would be great and an easy way to organize favorite apps into groups.

I'd like to be able to organize files, including tagging, with the option to password protect or encrypt.

Option for threaded versus flat e-mails.

More lock screen options. I like animated backgrounds. But at the end of the day it's not about just recreating Android. If you want it to be just like Android, then go with Android.

After that it's really about supporting apps. I could care less about HDMI or removable storage or more cores or and spec fluff.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    first - I would like to see some deeper utilization of lockscreen. Improved launcher with option for third party launchers. New desktop layout with launch bar in the middle of screen, widgets in upper, scrollable half of screen and open cards in lower half of screen. notification icons in bottom task bar witch could be pulled upwards to see more detailed notifications.
    graphic EQ with loudness, Igo GPS app,android emulator...
    Why not just stick with Android then. That just sounds like all the clutter that Android brings with it and loses the simplicity webOS provides.
  12. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I like some of the "coolness" that Android brings like live wallpapers, scrolling wallpapers, detailed battery consumption, etc.

HDMI? I for the life of me cannot understand what is the lure there? You might as well offer Xbox controller inputs or something. How many people REALLY use that feature? I guess its cool if you want to playback some video you shot directly on your TV while visiting family/friends but definitely not an item I am even remotely interested in or even if I had would never use. I'd rather see higher performance hardware and more robust/stable OS.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    The multiple launcher bars would be awesome.

One of the biggest things webOS lacks that android does well is google voice.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gyroslice View Post
    The multiple launcher bars would be awesome.

One of the biggest things webOS lacks that android does well is google voice.

Isn't there Voogle google voice for webOS?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    GPS navigation. It's awful on WebOS right now and needs to change. None of the major players have any interest in WebOS right now making it all the more difficult. Yes, one compay released GPS Nav software, but it's also very overpriced and it isn't exactly a quality navigator.

Game support is another big deal. Sure, we have games, but it's pretty limited and lacking on quality titles.
    Google Navigation by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    If a Pre- clocked at 1GHz, running webOS 1.4.5 runs Sprint Navigation while streaming Pandora and getting emails, text messages, twitter, facebook, and foursquare updates without lagging, you're not going to see lag on a Pre3 because of reasonable application resource requirements. The dual core processor is only a battery life drain for multiple apps on smartphones right now, and for the foreseeable future, btw.

So the truth is, a 1.4GHz single core smartphone processor will run 99% of all smartphone applications faster and with less battery drain than 1.2GHz dual core smartphone processor
    how does that not lag? I lag with the music player and carbon open =/ and I'm doing 1ghz on mine. Not to say dual cores would help here... but just making a general statement.

CPU point, I dunno about that yet, the 1.2ghz snapdragon in the android devices/touchpad is showing to be pretty efficient (it only brings on the 2nd core when needed). Granted, it is currently a moot issue since, as you explained it very well, nothing is exactly built for dual cores yet. But technically speaking, it might actually be less of a drain if it keeps the 2nd core idle.

Anyway, minor points. The real key I want to see is GPU acceleration for the UI. Or if it's easier, use the 2nd core for this purpose =)

To the OP.... I want to see widgets and the HTC sense 3 lockscreen. And then all the major apps. voice to text would be cool, too, but more of a bonus. and the good hardware options. I stand by the Pre form factor.. but I know a lot of folks prefer slabs... the more the merrier!
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    how does that not lag? I lag with the music player and carbon open =/ and I'm doing 1ghz on mine. Not to say dual cores would help here... but just making a general statement.

CPU point, I dunno about that yet, the 1.2ghz snapdragon in the android devices/touchpad is showing to be pretty efficient (it only brings on the 2nd core when needed). Granted, it is currently a moot issue since, as you explained it very well, nothing is exactly built for dual cores yet. But technically speaking, it might actually be less of a drain if it keeps the 2nd core idle.

Anyway, minor points. The real key I want to see is GPU acceleration for the UI. Or if it's easier, use the 2nd core for this purpose =)

To the OP.... I want to see widgets and the HTC sense 3 lockscreen. And then all the major apps. voice to text would be cool, too, but more of a bonus. and the good hardware options. I stand by the Pre form factor.. but I know a lot of folks prefer slabs... the more the merrier!
    My Pre minus doesn't normally lag using those applications simultaneously. I'm using UberKernel 500/1000 through Govnah. I use Spaz as a Twitter client right now, and while it's very slow to load at first, it seems to run pretty decent once it's going. At the stock 500MHz, the Pre minus running those apps is unbearable.

The HTC EVO 3D and Samsung Galaxy S2 use the 1.2GHz dual core MSM8660 chipset, which also has an Adreno 220 GPU and 1GB of RAM, will be faster than the Pre3 at gaming. The Pre3's MSM8655 SoC features a slower Adreno 205 GPU and only 512MB of RAM. The Pre3's performance on many single applications should be superior; however, it's important to note that overall performance will be largely determined by the OS (webOS vs. Android), and the efficiency of the platform will go a long ways towards determining things like lag. webOS 2.x seems substantially more efficient than webOS 1.4x.
    The only thing "from Android" that I envy in my friends' (high-end) Android phones is how immediately they react to your input. Pulling down that top bar drawer is instant and fluid; pulling down the app menu or sconix' extra system menus usually involves some waiting and a choppy animation.

Visuals aren't my main priority so this is no dealbreaker for me, but it's simply nice if there's no choppiness... This is not a problem, it's just not pretty.

The HTC Hero was choppy as hell as well though, so this may very well be a hardware issue, at least in part; I'm looking forward to seeing whether the Pre3 fixes all of the UI lag. I'm certainly hoping so.

I like the diagnostic tool that graphs your phones performance to that of other phones (android). Would be cool is webos had something like this to graphically show how a overclocked pre with battery saving options againsts standard baselines to have an easier time comparing various patches.

Also like the stylus input and functionality on the flyer, you can write anywhere not just an app, but on the homescreen too.

Finally like to see hp implent a more complex passcode like droid instead of numbers. The dots are awesome just draw a pattern. Complex, yet quick and simple enough to use.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast