Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    no, portrait is stupid looks horrible an sucks at 1 hand typing! i hate those phones!
    if Landscape would have made the pre3 perfect then im sure it would have been made a Landscape sliding phone and not a portrait sliding phone ..... right ? lol ltm ltm ltm
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 02/19/2011 at 03:17 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think you guys are confused. Portrait is the way the Pre is now. Landscape is the way most phones' keyboards are laid out. Just think of it as if you were printing a document and the option to print portrait or landscape.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The problem with horizontal sliders (and I've owned two) is developers have to write two versions of the software, landscape and portrait. Or at least ensure everything works automatically. You end up with annoying programs that only work in portrait - you have to type horizontally on a 90 degree angle or you are forced to use the OSK.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    My work HTC Touch Pro 2 is a horizontal slider. I much prefer being able to use the Pre- with one hand, though!
    Horizontal=horizon, portrait, straight up and down.

Landscape=sideways

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I think you guys are confused. Portrait is the way the Pre is now. Landscape is the way most phones' keyboards are laid out. Just think of it as if you were printing a document and the option to print portrait or landscape.
    Truth (other than I won't say most phones like you did since lots of folks are using slabs with VKB).
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 02/19/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

Landscape=sideways

Sent from my eVo
    I actually don't think you can find a true definition of horizon specifically relating to portrait. Mainly I would say most folks would define horizon (in the terms in this thread) as being a landscape view if any, but not specific to portrait.

Truth is that a horizon can be shown in either portrait or landscape view, but in most peoples minds I would see horizon = to landscape.

Regardless, as I said above, horizontal/horizon doesn't actually specifically refer to either portrait or landscape.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Had a HTC Herald once. Shoddy build quality (keyboard stopped working properly about a year in and the slider developed a worse oreo than I've ever had with my Pre. Right now it still works, but the screen half is about 3 off the bottom half. Just atrocious.) and couldn't type except with both hands.

Never again HTC (my HTC Charmer before it was also functionally broken after about a year. My Pre is now well over a year old and still as new.) Never again a horizontal slider.

Can't wait for that Pre 3 though. Vertical sliders FTW.
    I think everybody is thinking about this in the wrong way,you think a lanscape keyboard will mean do everything with the phone sideways which does not have to be true, let it be social networks or web pages we read and we post and both thing are easier in landscape ,for lets say looking for a name or a file it can be easily achived with an onscreen virtual keyboard just keep the phone in portrait or everything else, plus palm pre its very unconfortable to type with only one hand, it feels like you are going to drop it and soo in landscape they could ad up down left and right keys wich are the solution to the touchscreen acurancy
    I don't think landscape keyboards are usable. You are in slab country by then. The pre3 keyboard is plenty wise enough for me

Landscape=sideways

Sent from my eVo
    +17.5
    Kudos to Pre3 for sticking with the portrait keyboard. This is one reason I got the Pre in the first place! More natural, easy one-handed operation, and now that it's a little bigger, even more better! In fact, if it doesn't come to Sprint, I might even switch carriers! JUST DO IT SPRINT!!!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I'm not a fan of landscape phones. It just seems they weren't designed that way.

Eitherway, Palm/HP wanted to 'play it safe' with their new releases, (apart from the veer) I'm sure they are trying to stick to what they know as much as possible, and not go ahead and flip their new phone design 90. Its pretty risky.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sticking with 'what they know' has brought nothing but market failures. I love the design of the Pre 3 and am certainly getting one, but their new flagship device should not have been what is basically another spec bumped Pre, as none of the previous models have sold well.

Landscape=sideways

Sent from my eVo
    Horizontal = level with the horizon or at right angles with a line that points to the center of the earth.

Portrait = artistic representation of a person

Landscape = a portion of land which the eye can comprehend in a single view
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Horizontal = level with the horizon or at right angles with a line that points to the center of the earth.

Portrait = artistic representation of a person

Landscape = a portion of land which the eye can comprehend in a single view
    Smart ***! LOL

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Im thinking thats why webOS is shifting developers to the Enyo framework....so all new apps will work in both landscape and portrait...
    I think the Pre 3 will be perfect.....for me. I'm sure slabs and perhaps a landscape slider are coming but for me the Pre -, +, 2 and 3 are the best designs. I can't wait to use it. Landscape keyboards have too much travel IMHO. My wife had a Touch Pro 2 and it was a great keyboard but not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostjb View Post
    I think everybody is thinking about this in the wrong way,you think a lanscape keyboard will mean do everything with the phone sideways which does not have to be true, let it be social networks or web pages we read and we post and both thing are easier in landscape
    I have said this before (in this thread I believe) but you are completely incorrect when you refer to web browsing. Once again, there is a reason folks have dual monitor setups on their desk with a portrait monitor to optimize web browsing. The only time web browsing is enhanced in landscape is if the text is to small or badly scaled to the size of the phone in portrait.
    its enhanced when you need to put it sideways to get half the resolution of a portrait monitor and get a decent view of the webpage wich I am shure will be great on palm pre 3
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast