Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Virtual keyboards are very accurate and not all devices take forever to boot. On top of that, most save whatever you were working on.

Sent from my eVo
    I have yet to see a smartphone boot in 30s, also not everything is saved. Besides after the phone boots you still have to access what you were doing, even more time added. It takes as little as a sec to lose your train of thought and less than 5s to get frustrated. In this world of mass info, do more, and time is money I want to cut downtimes as much as possible. UX is key also. For me I want something I can use with confidence, is practical, and natural and on a handset phone that would be a portrait hardware keyboard. Less comuputing process needed, hardware is always faster, confidence in usage, how do you like using your evo in protrait. Bet you cant type as fast and some people's finger are too big for the layout that they have to use 2 hands to type with the tips of their fingers still making mistakes. There's no way you could respond faster with one hand than a hardware keyboard.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    There's no way you could respond faster with one hand than a hardware keyboard.
    I wouldn't go that far in saying portrait keyboards are better; I DO prefer hardware portrait keyboards but I would say that in my experience I would type fastest on a touchscreen keyboard that had T9 input (which I believe is an option on Android) with a little practice. Not to change the subject of the thread, but nothing beats T9 when restricted to one hand, and I would LOVE to see a virtual T9 keyboard on a WebOS phone... are you listening HP?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I wouldn't go that far in saying portrait keyboards are better; I DO prefer hardware portrait keyboards but I would say that in my experience I would type fastest on a touchscreen keyboard that had T9 input (which I believe is an option on Android) with a little practice.
    People still use T9????
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I love the way the keyboard is. It took about 2 weeks to get used to, and now I wouldn't have it any other way. I used my girlfriends Samsung Seek, and if you don't know, it is landscape keyboard and its not that big either, not near the EPIC, and I couldn't stretch my thumbs comfortably to text, although it was tolerable. I couldn't imagine a bigger keyboard than that one. So, the Pre keyboard is excellent. You can also type one handed which is nice.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    People still use T9????
    LOL. I actually did up until I bought my Pre! There were a few that I knew that did on their flip-phones once they figured it out. But alas, Blackberries and touchscreens showed people a different way...

It's been awhile since I've seen a clamshell in the hands of someone my generation or younger.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I have yet to see a smartphone boot in 30s, also not everything is saved. Besides after the phone boots you still have to access what you were doing, even more time added. It takes as little as a sec to lose your train of thought and less than 5s to get frustrated. In this world of mass info, do more, and time is money I want to cut downtimes as much as possible. UX is key also. For me I want something I can use with confidence, is practical, and natural and on a handset phone that would be a portrait hardware keyboard. Less comuputing process needed, hardware is always faster, confidence in usage, how do you like using your evo in protrait. Bet you cant type as fast and some people's finger are too big for the layout that they have to use 2 hands to type with the tips of their fingers still making mistakes. There's no way you could respond faster with one hand than a hardware keyboard.
    I don't have a problem using my phone portrait or landscape.

If someone has a problem with the stock keyboard, there are many to choose from, you just find the one that works for you.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    And please note: this is coming from someone that had HUGE qualms about not having a hardware keyboard. I didn't think I could deal with only having a virtual one.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I love the portrait slider...have since day 1!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    LOL. I actually did up until I bought my Pre! There were a few that I knew that did on their flip-phones once they figured it out. But alas, Blackberries and touchscreens showed people a different way...

It's been awhile since I've seen a clamshell in the hands of someone my generation or younger.
    LOL, I had been wanting a treo for YEARS, finally got in the market with the centro, been years since I used T9, god that **** sucked...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I think it was reported at the HP event that the new devices all have onscreen keyboards, so if you really want to use them instead of the slider you can. The Pre 3 is very slim for a slider so you almost have a slab anyways.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think it was reported at the HP event that the new devices all have onscreen keyboards, so if you really want to use them instead of the slider you can. The Pre 3 is very slim for a slider so you almost have a slab anyways.
    Can't find the source now, but one of the demo people said there was no virtual kb on the Pre3. I think it's restricted to the touchpad.
    I believe there is a market for both sliders. I would hate to see the portrait slider sacrificed to release a landscape version.

I used a landscape slider for 2 years. Got real tired of having to rotate the phone and slide it open every time I wanted to type a message. It was also very difficult to use one handed due to the stretch required, though 2-handed typing was comfortable (much more-so than the monster on the Epic). Bought a Treo after that to try out the exposed vertical keyboard. Had to give up a little real estate to get it, but I really liked having the keyboard right there and not having to rotate the phone. Then the Pre came out, and I had to have one. As soon as my year with the Treo was up, I bought a Pre. The vertical slider is very natural, and once I got good at opening it with one hand, it became perfect (except for being slightly cramped compared to the treo keys).
    i really want to like slider phones but issues with build quality will arise as well as wear and tear that will result in use.... i'm starting to think palm made a mistake by switching to slider... when i had my treo .. i had no problems.. even the fruit co made with phone with no moveable part... just google on pre bat problem and oreo effect...
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It's slightly bigger than the Torch isn't it?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I have yet to see a smartphone boot in 30s,
    My cheapo 600mhz android phone boots in 36 seconds - is this uncommon? Don't other android devices or webOS devices boot at that sort of speed?
    Horizontal sliders suck because you can't use the keyboard with one hand.
    Nah, the Pre 3 would simply be perfect if it were in my hands.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Nah, the Pre 3 would simply be perfect if it were in my hands.
    I agree 100%

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I agree 100%

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'll x3 that sentiment.... would love to be rocking one now!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's slightly bigger than the Torch isn't it?
    It's about the same size as an iPhone. Just not as thin.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast