Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 124
  1. #61  
    The iPhone drove down the price of the Torch. Fortunately, carrier subsidy allows other manufactures to stay competitive to the iPhone even though they control the supply chains. Apple remains more profitable, but the consumer wins. This also means we can have the PrPrPr
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    How does your sarcasm attribute to this conversation?

    As discussed, landscape sliders and slabs overly dominate the market...this is because it's what the majority of smartphone users want.





    Yeah, I even notice in EvilKell's post from back in September...there are no actual numbers given.

    Let's keep in mind that...even if it did start to sell...it had to sell at half the price of what they originally offered it for.
    Yea, and the iphone didn't stat selling this well until it went to 1/3rd the price. The pre dropped to free on a 2 year contract, plus 15 dollars off your monthly plan (bell canada, usually 3 year contracts +200) and it still didn't start selling well.

    All hte price drops means is that it wasn't AS good as they thought it was, still demand though.
  3. #63  
    I like vertical. I hate how far your thumbs have to travel in landscape. Don't automatically assume everyone wants a portrait keyboard just b/c the other phones have it.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I disagree completely.

    Reading and web browsing is way easier in horizontal mode on the Pre.
    it might be easier because the text is bigger but there is more scrolling involved because there is less text on the screen. Plus, I don't like switching between landscape and portrait mode to type. I could use the virtual keyboard but then I lose even more viewing area.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I want the toaster....


    Sent from my eVo
    you can put your evo in it and make tevoast! I kid. I kid.
  6. Spinfusor's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #66  
    I'd rather have a slab with no physical keyboard than a landscape slider. I can type with one or two hands using a portrait keyboard, and my thumbs have to travel less. Landscape keyboards aren't big enough to be used with all ten fingers, so the extra size is useless to me.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  7. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #67  
    I like the keyboard just exactly like the Pre 3 keyboard is, would not change a thing.
  8. #68  
    I have had a Pre, I now have a Droid. I kinda want both because they both offering something beneficial.

    Portrait
    -Quicker access, no need to turn phone and wait for screen to reorient
    -Able to type with one hand when needed

    Landscape
    -Very large and comfortable
    -Allows you to type when your screen is in landscape, which is often desirable (at least to me).

    I'd like to have the option of either. I believe I'd opt for landscape.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    Landscape sliders look nice, but I have not found one that I can work efficiently on. That being said, WebOS is designed for portrait view. Releasing a landscape device would only dilute WebOS by creating additional development hurdles. Palm is doing one thing especially right and that is differentiating themselves from other companies. I don't want to have a hard time differentiating a WebOS device from an Android one. That's one of the reasons I really like the Veer; put simply, it veers from the norm (pun intended)
    How is selling 50 to 100% more phones not worth the "development time" to slap an OS that already works flawlessly in landscape into the most common phone type on the market?

    And furthermore, the touchPad IS Landscape view. Your very logic means it will be a failure. Ugh. I swear people here must be lawyers. All the can do is talk out of their *****.
  10. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #70  
    I believe there should be a landscape slider for the simple reason of giving consumers a choice.

    That being said, I also believe that there aren't any (with WebOS) for the simple reason of the location of the gesture area. Keeping the gesture area on the bottom in portrait just isn't natural when the keyboard slides out in landscape... unless the gesture area is on the keyboard and not on the screen. Which, complicates things and adds to the cost.

    People need to give up on a landscape WebOS device. I am not against it, I just think it couldn't be done in an elegant/efficient manner.

    Personally, I prefer portrait keyboards simply because my thumbs don't have to travel as much, therefore, I'm faster on them. Seriously, when I use a landscape keyboard, I'm like "whoa, there's too much space."

    One final thought, regarding sales of portrait sliders versus landscape sliders. I don't have figures in my head, so I won't mention them, but when talking about such things, I think it's only fair to include all portrait keyboards together (if we're simply talking about just the orientation of the keys). I'm sure there are many people that have passed on a portrait slider for a portrait candybar with a QWERTY instead of a landscape slider (Blackberries, Treos, Moto Q's & Droid Pros, various Samsungs including the BlackJack, etc) past and present.

    My .02
    Last edited by RafRol; 02/13/2011 at 03:30 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You sell 13 Torches a day? You're a good salesmen.

    Would be interested to see the real world numbers.
    Thanks.. But most of my customers are businesses and actually ask for it, wow rim had big blunder with the torch I tell ya

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  12. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I like vertical. I hate how far your thumbs have to travel in landscape. Don't automatically assume everyone wants a portrait keyboard just b/c the other phones have it.
    +1

    I like the vertical keyboard better. Landscape keyboard feels very unnatural for thumps typing. I don't think hp needs a vertical slider keyboard. Enabling an on screen keyboard when the device is held in landscape would serve a better purpose and be most functional.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13. #73  
    The only reason I've not given Android a serious look is because of the lack of portrait sliders. Horizontal keyboards are a waste of space and hard to type with a single hand.
  14. #74  
    I really hate those landscape sliders. I bought the Treo 650 for its one handed ease of use keyboard. Holding the device in the PALM of your hand and able to type while holding a briefcase in the other. The HP Pre 3 will be the best slider on the market!!
  15. #75  
    yeah i like the portrait slider, really though this is just one design that HP will be releasing Im sure they will have a landscape, and slab design out shortly. If your not about waiting there are very good android devices out there available now, that I would highly recommend.
  16. #76  
    I moved to the Epic 4G with a landscape slider. I much prefer a portrait slider, I can type much faster and it just feels more natural.

    The Epic is a great phone but the landscape slider is annoying. I find myself using the onscreen portrait keyboard more.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  17. #77  
    vertical is natural. Who likes to view things landscape. Besides a physical keyboard is best vertical as evident with blackberries, but a virtual keyboard works best landscape. Why because virtual aint that accurate and if the scrren is wet or has a dead zone, etc. You can say good bye to what your doing cause it will take forever to reboot no matter what device your using. I think hp did the right thing by going hardware in verical, all business and confidence doing things. There's money spent in research and I believe this is the most practical way.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    vertical is natural. Who likes to view things landscape. Besides a physical keyboard is best vertical as evident with blackberries, but a virtual keyboard works best landscape. Why because virtual aint that accurate and if the scrren is wet or has a dead zone, etc. You can say good bye to what your doing cause it will take forever to reboot no matter what device your using. I think hp did the right thing by going hardware in verical, all business and confidence doing things. There's money spent in research and I believe this is the most practical way.
    Virtual keyboards are very accurate and not all devices take forever to boot. On top of that, most save whatever you were working on.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I disagree completely.

    Reading and web browsing is way easier in horizontal mode on the Pre.

    Actually, this is the complete opposite of fact when it comes to how web browsing (designed for a computer) is designed. This is why people go to dual monitor setups with a portrait monitor for more efficient web browsing.

    The ONLY thing that would make web browsing easier in horizontal is if you have problems with the size of the text in portrait mode. Other than that, most web sites scale nicely to the portrait mode. Not saying I don't sometimes read in horizontal mode, but that's reading..... not typing. Most of my actual use of the device (where I would be typing or needing access to keys) is done in portrait mode.



    All that said, sure maybe before Christmas HP comes out with a slate and a landscape slider once they launch the 3 devices they have right now, and make sure they have some installed user base. In general it was smart to stick to what has been the Palm design FOREVER. Also as it's been said there are a ton of BB users out there, if HP is going for enterprise users, it's good to stick with the form factor that is known for most enterprise users.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post
    And furthermore, the touchPad IS Landscape view. Your very logic means it will be a failure. Ugh. I swear people here must be lawyers. All the can do is talk out of their *****.
    Uhmm technically (since you are trying to apply the TouchPad to this discussion).... the TouchPad would be a slab, not a landscape device. Just like a slab there is nothing keeping the user from using it in either orientation technically.

    Unless I missed something, pretty sure I didn't since from the presentation it will charge on it's "touchstone" in any orientation.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions