Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    As anyone ever explained what a slab phone has over the current Pre 3? I mean, the Pre 3 is both, keyboard and V keyboard (if it has one). If you want a slab phone, DON'T OPEN THE PRE up. But all you read is slab, slab, slab . . .

ET
    while I prefer the pre3 shape, heres the answer:

battery life. If you made a slab pre3 with the same thickness, you could fit a battery that wasn't tiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    while I prefer the pre3 shape, heres the answer:

battery life. If you made a slab pre3 with the same thickness, you could fit a battery that wasn't tiny.
    But other slabs that have a similar screensize as the Pre 3 are not making their devices thicker to hold bigger batteries. They are making them as thin as possible and using just enough battery to get one through the day on light usage.

If HP were to make a slab that thick, even to facilitate a large battery they would be seriously ridiculed.

People are content to make their devices thicker themselves by adding external or extended batteries, but they would likely have never bought the device looking like that.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    just a questio... Does anybody know if the battery of the pre3 could be fit into the preminus??
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    But other slabs that have a similar screensize as the Pre 3 are not making their devices thicker to hold bigger batteries. They are making them as thin as possible and using just enough battery to get one through the day on light usage.

If HP were to make a slab that thick, even to facilitate a large battery they would be seriously ridiculed.

People are content to make their devices thicker themselves by adding external or extended batteries, but they would likely have never bought the device looking like that.
    Good response. I have a buddy at work who has the great and all mighty Iphone. He claims he barely makes it through a work day on a single battery. I normally go home with between 35%-45% power left (after I patched my phone).

ET
    All these youtube videos just show a close-up of people’s hands while they dink with the phone. Is there any video out there showing someone actually putting the phone up to their face to make/pretend to make a call?

Does the phone look like an oversized slab phone up against your cheek? Does it look dorky to have the slider open? Does the keyboard mounted mic actually sit in front of your mouth while it is open?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by jhol View Post
    just a questio... Does anybody know if the battery of the pre3 could be fit into the preminus??
    We can't know for sure until they publish specs on the Pre3 battery, but I'd bet almost anything that it won't. More capacity comes from more cells, and more cells make it physically bigger. The fact that the Pre3 is actually thinner tells me that the battery didn't get thicker, but longer.

I just hope that the minor increase in capacity with the more efficient processor will produce a full day of moderate use, so I don't need a pocket full of batteries with me. It will be interesting to see if Seidio/Mugen types will create an extended battery and back for those of us that wouldn't mind trading additional thickness for longer life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    All these youtube videos just show a close-up of people’s hands while they dink with the phone. Is there any video out there showing someone actually putting the phone up to their face to make/pretend to make a call?

Does the phone look like an oversized slab phone up against your cheek? Does it look dorky to have the slider open? Does the keyboard mounted mic actually sit in front of your mouth while it is open?

-Suntan
    I haven't seen any videos, but a couple of us held them to our face and it looked about like the Pre or a blackberry. I'm not sure where the mic is, because there are supposed to be two and the only one I found is at the very edge of the keyboard. Everything felt great and seemed to line up comfortably.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I haven't seen any videos, but a couple of us held them to our face and it looked about like the Pre or a blackberry. I'm not sure where the mic is, because there are supposed to be two and the only one I found is at the very edge of the keyboard. Everything felt great and seemed to line up comfortably.
    The 2nd mic is actually on the back on the phone, up by the camera. Still wondering if it is possible to talk on it with the slider closed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    The 2nd mic is actually on the back on the phone, up by the camera. Still wondering if it is possible to talk on it with the slider closed.
    This shouldn't even be a question. IMO, they wouldn't have moved the mic if it meant you couldn't talk on the phone while it's closed. Mic placement isn't the big deal it was ten years ago - think of the BT headsets that have the mic way up in your ear - they work fine.

I'd put a lot of money on the Pre3 having no trouble making/taking calls while closed. And with the noise-canceling mic I bet it's going to be incredibly clear.
    the pre 3 battery won't fit on pre minus plus 2 etc. There is a bigger battery in the pre 3 I was told so by hp rep on the 9th
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    yeah I believe it's a 1250 or 1230? As opposed to the original 1150
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    1. The Slider is crazy solid. Picture something similiar to the Blackberry Bold, but better.

5. Did I mention the keyboard?
    It is really hard to judge the solidity of the keyboard after one hands-on session. I got my Pre- in Sept 2009 after reading so many here complaining about the oreo effect. For the first month I remember thinking -- "oh man, I got a great phone because mine has no oreo." After using it for three months I was then thinking "oh, that is what they mean...".

We will have to wait for a while after launch to really judge the quality of the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    HP Pre 3 Hands On - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

Nice Review. Thanks for posting it mrkalel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    This was also posted on thier site and is what i was thinking as well. The one part they dont mention is the power draw of 1.4 versus 1.0x2. Very interseting.

"The interesting aspect to all this though it places huge emphasis and expectation on software developers. Without dedicated coding, dual-core processors offer little to no performance advantage over their single-core variants. As those with long memories of the PC progression to multi-core will remember: to show real world improvements multiple core processors need software that supports multi-threading and there are numerous reasons as to why that might not be coming any time soon."
    Good point. To this day we still barely see programs using quad core for our PC's. But it's during multi-tasking that quad core shines. Since there is quad core cpu's coming out for phones at the end of this year, i'm beginning to think that dual core optimizations might just be bypassed altogether.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    It is really hard to judge the solidity of the keyboard after one hands-on session. I got my Pre- in Sept 2009 after reading so many here complaining about the oreo effect. For the first month I remember thinking -- "oh man, I got a great phone because mine has no oreo." After using it for three months I was then thinking "oh, that is what they mean...".

We will have to wait for a while after launch to really judge the quality of the keyboard.
    Well do you mean "You" will have to wait till after launch to judge the quality of the KB, since everyone that has used it is raving over it?
    (precentral, engadget, BGR, TrustedReview, Me & many others on the boards, etc)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    ya I got excited when engadget mentioned bb and treo when talking about the keyboard. Especially sinced they slamed the pre's.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I can't believe how tiny the port hole for the speaker phone is on the Pre3. The Veers looks more promising so I hope the 3 stills puts out a quality sound..
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I can't believe how tiny the port hole for the speaker phone is on the Pre3. The Veers looks more promising so I hope the 3 stills puts out a quality sound..
    Maybe a future Pre will have Beats Audio....
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast