Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73
  1.    #41  
    The truth is the truth... I have never kept a phone (two if you include my wifes) this long, or dropped one so many times as I have the PRE. DROP AFATER DROP AFTER DROP and it STIL WORKS. Durabile enogh for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I see posts like this every once in a while.
    And its usually full of complete crap.

    Go into a Sprint store and ask a technician about the Palm Pre. /end of that subject
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Exactly.

    I went through 12 in 12 months. [and that was back before sprint allowed physical damage to be replaced]

    Brother said 6 was enough for him and moved to Epic.

    Mom is on 3rd in 4 months after getting hers from my brother.

    This guy went through 7

    This one went through 5

    Need I continue?
    If all this is true, then why not just be gone, poof, rather than searching for every thread to say the same thing.

    I am sure there are lots of folks on Android Central and the other sites that woud welcome your posts about the greatness of your new device. I hope you are getting paid to post the same family of crap about HP's devices since you have NO plan to purchase them.
  3. #43  
    With all due respect, this thread is placing a lot of the blame on the victims. Yes there may have been abuses from some individuals, but the fact is that the Sprint Pres were poorly built and has been documented over and over again by many many people.

    I am one of those people whose gadgets are always well taken cared of and who never ever have problems. My gadgets lasts because I take care of them. Yet, I have had to exchange 4 Pres. In fact, the Pre is the first gadget that I've owned where I've had to get so many replacements. That says a lot.

    If you are one of the lucky ones who have had an original launch-day Pre with no issues, then consider yourself lucky. I, too, stood in line the first day to get a Pre. There are 3 other people in my household with Pres. They've ALL ran into random problems with the phone where the hardware just fails. We all love webOS, but that's not an excuse for poor hardware and execution.

    Try to put yourself in another person's shoes for a minute and understand that your experience is not everyone else's. Each replacement equals hours of wasted time that could be used doing something else. Do you think we enjoy wasting time heading to the store to stand in line and argue with the rep to get a replacement? Do you think we would choose to do that if we didn't have to?
  4. #44  
    I see pandas.
  5. blz2's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    I just got done reading some snarky comments comparing the Build problems with the sprint pre to hyundai's early reputation, which has since, quite improved. Instead of hi-jacking the other thread I figured I would start a new one.

    The truth is the build quality of the Pre 3 seems to be greatly improved, not to mention the fact that the Sprint Pre community was by far the most Anal (can I say that), picky community ever (I was a early pre adopter, and still have mine). What do I mean by this? Just troll the logs of this forum and you will find people BRAGGING about returning/replacing there phone 3, 4, or more times on sprint because of "heat spots".

    Seriously, don't preach to us about how much you have done for this community, and how patient you have been if you are one of these lamers who killed sprints impression of the Pre with all your complaints. Sure, there are some legitimate issues with some ofthe initial ones but WHINING about:

    1. Intermitant Heat Spots
    2. Phone not gliding open like you like...
    3. Usb cover sticking
    4. etc.

    You are the people who killed the Pre on Sprint, sure Palm/HP played a roll, but you chumps who got a scratch so manufactured an excuse for a free exchange are a big reason the rest of the early adopters have been LEFT BEHIND.

    Here' to hoping Sprint takes us back, and the rest of you whiners do what you say you will, goto iOS, or Android, and leave this community to the people who really want to see it grow, and be understanding about the growing pains, instead of taking advantage of Palm in the name of screwing over "the man".

    Long live WEBOS and the Pre3

    Nuff said,

    -Cent
    You're one of those people who would ride a sinking ship all the way down saying "it's not sinking, don't worry folks". The build quality on the Pre was terrible. You cannot deny that. If you think otherwise, you are delusional and blinded by your love for webOS. The majority of people have returned their Pre's MANY times for numerous reasons. The Pixi crumbled around itself. Palm won't even deny the quality was bad for either phone. People like you who get so irritated by other people complaining about the Pre crack me up. You're so in love with your phone that it actually makes you mad when people point out the obvious. Palm went under remember? If webOS is sooooo great and the phones were soooooo great, how did that happen? Get out from under the rock and look around.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    With all due respect, this thread is placing a lot of the blame on the victims. Yes there may have been abuses from some individuals, but the fact is that the Sprint Pres were poorly built and has been documented over and over again by many many people.

    I am one of those people whose gadgets are always well taken cared of and who never ever have problems. My gadgets lasts because I take care of them. Yet, I have had to exchange 4 Pres. In fact, the Pre is the first gadget that I've owned where I've had to get so many replacements. That says a lot.

    If you are one of the lucky ones who have had an original launch-day Pre with no issues, then consider yourself lucky. I, too, stood in line the first day to get a Pre. There are 3 other people in my household with Pres. They've ALL ran into random problems with the phone where the hardware just fails. We all love webOS, but that's not an excuse for poor hardware and execution.

    Try to put yourself in another person's shoes for a minute and understand that your experience is not everyone else's. Each replacement equals hours of wasted time that could be used doing something else. Do you think we enjoy wasting time heading to the store to stand in line and argue with the rep to get a replacement? Do you think we would choose to do that if we didn't have to?
    VERY well said. And as this thread is about the Pre 3 build quality, something that I'm extremely interested in, but obviously have no first-hand knowledge of, I'm more interested in that subject. I usually don't post on these threads anymore because it's the same ol' debates, but I couldn't help myself this time.
    Anyone who currently has their launch-day device is very fortunate, and to act as if those who returned their phones multiple times are too picky is ignorant and, really, quite unfair. My LD Pre (lucky #13 in line =D) lasted 3 months before the Oreo became unbearable. The second developed an oreo within a month that was as bad as the first. The third saw the screen fail completely. When the fourth had the power button break a week before the camera failed, I decided to go the Pre Plus route, got one off ebay, and converted it to Sprint. Although the keyboard sucked (we all know the problems), the build quality was exponentially better than the minuses' I had. That is, until my screen developed the "ghost touches" about a month ago, a problem I've decided to deal with until the problem renders the phone unusable.
    I have brought my two brothers, a sister and her husband, my wife, my sister-in-law, and 2 friends onboard the pre train. One friend has had his pre for a year with a minimal oreo, but hasn't returned it because he doesn't want to get another with a bunch of problems. The rest have been replaced at least once, with 3 returning them multiple times. I know this because each of them comes to ME to complain about it and/or ask my advice, since I was such an advocate for the device and the OS. I've done the Pre Plus conversion for 4 of them, and saw 2 others move on to Android devices. I'm currently trying to get my wife to return her 3rd Pre because the Oreo is, frankly, ridiculous, but she said she doesn't care anymore and will get a new phone after mobile conference.
    I'm sure that there are a very large number of users who are happy with their original Pre's, and I'm sure that many of those who have returned their phones have only done so once. But to act like it's the users fault that they've had to return their phones 3,4,5+ times is putting on blinders to the reality of the situation. The Pre's build quality was, and is, horrendous. The Plus fixed many of the issues, but added some of it's own. The build quality question about the Pre 2 and 3 are actually extremely important because of this. We shouldn't be calling each other names or yelling at each other. But please, don't dilute yourselves into thinking that the quality issues weren't as bad as they seem.
    As for the Pre 3, I'm dying to get my hands on it. I wish they would've come out with a slab phone, if only to bring another form factor to the mix that would bring others to webOS. But the 3 is right up my alley. If it's on Sprint. I have 9 lines with a 25% discount, so I'm not going anywhere. Here's to hoping...
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  7. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #47  
    "the pre build quality is great, you guys are all perfectionist complainers"

    "the pre build quality sucks, you don't know what you are talking about"

    My ancedote:

    I got a pre a month or so after launch. It was rock solid, I loved it. Zero oreo, Zero screen issues. Perfection.

    Before my 30 day trial was up, I got the news our group at work was moving to a different building. I was familiar with the building and knew Sprint had horrible coverage in it, so regretfully I took back my Pre and got an iPhone from AT&T because I knew folks had good luck with reception with AT&T in the new building. Less than 30 days later, the head honchos at work changed their minds and told us we would be staying put. I took back my iPhone and gleefully went back to Sprint to get a Pre. The thing had a lot of oreo, and hotspots on the screen.

    I've since seen quite a few unboxings of brand new Pres and the variability in build quality is HUGE. Some folks lucked out and got great ones, others got crappy ones. I don't know if it's a design issue or a problem at the factory, but just because one person has one type, don't believe there aren't other folks out there who legitimately have had exactly the opposite experience.
  8. #48  
    My first Pre was fantastic. 11 months and I wiped out and landed on it. Cracked screen at the ball. Sprint replaced for free.

    My second Pre lasted 3 weeks. Just shut off and wouldn't come back on.
    My third Pre lasted 1 week. The volume switch quit working.
    My fourth Pre lasted 0 days. Within minutes of leaving the Sprint store to pick my parents up from the airport I found out I couldn't make or receive calls!
    My fifth Pre's ear speaker doesn't work when making calls and never has. I use bluetooth or speaker phone if I want to communicate. Maybe a hard reset would fix it, maybe not.

    My original Pre from July, 2009 was a good device. It went through quite a bit as I'm rough on my devices. All the refurbs have been garbage.
  9.    #49  
    Terrible build quality?

    Please people tell me, compared to what? Seriously, you people whine, no one is making you stay...

    I am here because of the superior WEBOS, the truth is I would pay to beta test any device that was rocking this OS, no matter what the hardware, if you don't think its worth it, then jump ship and yell:

    "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD"

    To the other sheep head kool-aid drinking whiners. Why so many replacements?

    1. WAHHHH.... Oreo, oreo, where's my Milk
    2. Boohoo... look, I hacked my phone to do WIFI and the heat spots make it yellow (sure it disappears after it cools down but who cares the sprint tech won't notice till i'm out the door with a new one)
    3. Doh, dropped my phone have a dead pixel, better get a new one
    4. etc.
    5. etc.

    Enjoy the world of whiners

    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    You're one of those people who would ride a sinking ship all the way down saying "it's not sinking, don't worry folks". The build quality on the Pre was terrible. You cannot deny that. If you think otherwise, you are delusional and blinded by your love for webOS. The majority of people have returned their Pre's MANY times for numerous reasons. The Pixi crumbled around itself. Palm won't even deny the quality was bad for either phone. People like you who get so irritated by other people complaining about the Pre crack me up. You're so in love with your phone that it actually makes you mad when people point out the obvious. Palm went under remember? If webOS is sooooo great and the phones were soooooo great, how did that happen? Get out from under the rock and look around.
  10. sjaakb's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #50  
    What are U? a shill?......
  11. #51  
    [QUOTE=celenon;2859637]Maybe many of us haven't touched it, but Engadget has. And really, we rely on these people to review the product before we purchase it. Do you not read reviews (second hand knowledge) of something you do not own and allow them to factor into your purchase choice? Like, for example, reading reviews before buying a product on Amazon or Newegg.

    Oh, btw, here's Engadget's review of build quality:

    "We just had a chance to play around with the Pre 3 at some length... and we have to say it feels good. The body of the device is sleek and solid, and the weight feels substantial in your hand. The screen is a relatively spacious 3.6-inches, and webOS looks absolutely stunning on it. The extra resolution is a big help on readability and clarity. The slider mechanism feels fairly solid, though there's a little give just at the end of it's movement that made us slightly concerned. Compared to previous devices, however, it seems far tighter. We're still messing around with the phone and will report back on what we find, but in terms of hardware quality, HP has taken a big step up here. As for the keyboard, it feels really fantastic. We realize this is very much a matter of personal preference, but we had zero problems typing quickly and accurately on the Pre 3 right from the get go."

    HP Pre 3 first hands-on! (updated with video) -- Engadget

    ___________




    Quote from the second link you provided:

    "Concerned that its survey has been taken out of context, Pre Central is running another poll on Pre build quality, this one on its blog, rather than its forums. And while it
  12. #52  
    The idea that, because there are a few people on here that say they have release day pres, means that no one had the issues is completely ridiculous.

    Not every Dell laptop battery caught fire yet the problem still existed.

    In fact, I have a friend that still has the same battery and laptop and haven't had an issue.
    And I'm sure we could find others too.


    Doesn't mean the build quality issue wasn't there.

    Stop calling people liars simply because you and a few others fail to believe what everyone, not just webos users, knows.
  13.    #53  
    Wow, had to google that word:

    Shill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Pretty impressed, you taught me something new.

    And the answer is, No...

    Just someone who appreciates WEBOS as the only Phone OS worth putting on anything resembling a PC/Tablet...

    I'm not calling anyone a liar, do a little searching and you will find that some of the biggest complainers are nothing but perps.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    I'm not calling anyone a liar, do a little searching and you will find that some of the biggest complainers are nothing but perps.
    You say you're not calling anyone a liar and then insult people in the same sentence...less this post...

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post2861675


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    Terrible build quality?

    Please people tell me, compared to what? Seriously, you people whine, no one is making you stay...

    I am here because of the superior WEBOS, the truth is I would pay to beta test any device that was rocking this OS, no matter what the hardware, if you don't think its worth it, then jump ship and yell:

    "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD"

    To the other sheep head kool-aid drinking whiners. Why so many replacements?

    1. WAHHHH.... Oreo, oreo, where's my Milk
    2. Boohoo... look, I hacked my phone to do WIFI and the heat spots make it yellow (sure it disappears after it cools down but who cares the sprint tech won't notice till i'm out the door with a new one)
    3. Doh, dropped my phone have a dead pixel, better get a new one
    4. etc.
    5. etc.

    Enjoy the world of whiners



    Dude..glad you're on your release day Pre, really.

    But the fact is that many have had multiple replacements.

    Less the links I provided you, even in this thread you have 5 or so people saying they have had multiple replacements of the Pre.
  15. #55  
    please stoppp arguing.

    oreo issues with the earliest Srint pre was widespread and well documented. Check.

    it wasn't a problem for 100% of the first production run, but it was exceptionally high. Check.

    it made later users paranoid, even on the Pre Plus, and they exacerbated things by twisting and checking for oreo, and determining that a tiny bit of play was a major issue. Check.

    Quality improved with each new Plus launch, but replacement rates were still way too high. Check.

    the Pre3 and Veer appear to be as solid as any blackberry I've ever seen, and waaaaay better than the moto-droid, moto-droid2, and samsong sliders.

    so lets enter those items into the record and move on.

    Hindai makes a pretty soliid car now.

    Palm just announced new hardware that is better than we hoped for, and I believe they will announce more hardware once the touchpad is relesse.

    does that about cover it for everyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

    next thread please!
  16. #56  
    Guys, would you mind if I offered an explanation that *makes sense*?

    What if when you got your pre replaced, they gave you a refurbished one? Can we agree a refurbished unit has a much greater chance of breaking than a out of box unit? It's that if you get a lemon, you get another lemon that may or may not be de-lemonized.

    Ever notice that almost nobody is on their second pre? It's always the launch day or the 4+th. There you go.
  17. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #57  
    I got to touch the pre3 for a bit at the event, felt slightly better than the pre2, which is already a really good device.

    The more shocking thing was how good the veer seems to be built.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  18. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Have you touched it yourself?
    Have you used it?

    No, so all of this is opinion based on second hand knowledge?

    The same knowledge that, although may have said it could be better, didn't predict the terrible quality of the original pre....

    Nice.
    I've more than touched it. It is amazing build quality. Nuff said.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I've more than touched it. It is amazing build quality. Nuff said.
    We will see when its mass produced.
  20. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    We will see when its mass produced.
    Hmmmm, you are just full of *answers* huh. Bravo for you.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions