Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear HP,

'Think Beyond'??? <<mod delete>>

Im soo angry that I had to make a meme for it too!

<deleted by staff>

webOS had so much potential...now it looks like it will never reach the grand levels that I envisioned for it. Im soo <<angry (mod edit)>>. Im writing a letter to a VP who I met at my university. Will include the PreCentral contest that we had for new webOS phone concepts. Im not kidding.

Arent you guys reeling? Especially after all the hype and 'special event' bullcrap?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/20/2011 at 01:15 AM.
    Palm Pre Plus | Creative X-Fi | HP HDX 16 | Opera 10.60 | Windows 7 HP | Ubuntu 10.04
    Yuuuuup. It's a load.
    I'm pretty happy. I appreciate the hype regardless of it delivering. I think their products are fine, plus with all the possibilities of patching, etc. We haven't seen anything yet of the potential or these new devices. I am still rocking the sprint Pre because of patching. This is a great platform. Maybe I'm being optimistic...?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, a dual core tablet that can take calls, play Flash video, sync directly with phones at a tap, offers full document editing, and make video calls is a joke.

A smart phone with a screen fitting what mainstream users want, a high resolution display, front camera for video calling, a rear camera with image stabilization and auto focus, the fastest single core processor ever announced in a smart phone all in a slimmer package is a joke.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    What specifically about the device were you upset about?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I don't really agree with you, but I LOVE the 'y u no'
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah, a dual core tablet that can take calls, play Flash video, sync directly with phones at a tap, offers full document editing, and make video calls is a joke.

A smart phone with a screen fitting what mainstream users want, a high resolution display, front camera for video calling, a rear camera with image stabilization and auto focus, the fastest single core processor ever announced in a smart phone all in a slimmer package is a joke.
    but it looks like a Pre??? NOOOO!!!

I'll take two Pre 3s.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What specifically about the device were you upset about?
    I would have liked HDMI out, but realistically after webOSroundup's interview with Phil McKinney he kinda killed that dream for me. Said something about "the device needs to stay in the >$800 range", and that he that would probably be something for 2012. What I don't get is that Nokia and others have pulled it off, but big ol' HP can't. Oh well.

I would have liked a landscape slider, and a lot of others would have wanted a slab. They've talked about "a wide variety of form factors", but all we've got coming is vertical sliders and a tablet.

Though TBH, I'm optimistic they'll announce more phones soon.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I guess we'll see this phone in 5-6 months? lol after iPhone5?
  10.    #10  
    @EvilKell

Yeah, a GUI that does almost exactly for webOS what Apple did to iOS to make it an iPad GUI, is something to be happy about. A release that is again going to put it many months behind the competition is something to be happy about. No implementation of gesture system that set webOS apart, is something to be happy about. (I agree it would be hard to implement this successfully, but I really feel it still could be done and could be done beautifully).

A smart phone, sorry make that two with the same form factor, one elongated and the other squished is the best thing they could have done. No 4G, No WiMax, No dual core processor for a phone in mid to late 2011? Again falls behind competition. Just 5MP camera and a VGA upfront. (Im sure they did this because this is the iPhone's 'gold' standard). Palm wants to be a follower it would seem, not a pioneer (which is what I expect of them).

The HP Veer with its addon jack connectors is a <<deleted by mod>> joke point blank. Please dont go defending this <<deleted by mod>>.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Palm and HP will languish as the smallest competitor in both the smartphone and tablet sector. C'mon can you really expect them to make any inroads in android's or iOS's market share with this mediocre crap?

Im shedding my Palm <<deleted by mod>> for the first time. And Im not doing it without reason
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Palm Pre Plus | Creative X-Fi | HP HDX 16 | Opera 10.60 | Windows 7 HP | Ubuntu 10.04
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    I guess we'll see this phone in 5-6 months? lol after iPhone5?
    Thats the best we can expect I think
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post

I would have liked a landscape slider, and a lot of others would have wanted a slab.
    I thought a landscape slider might be cool but it would really limit how much content can be viewed while typing. Switch between portrait mode and landscape mode on a website you are typing on. Landscape mode would get old fast.
  13.    #13  
    @JLegacy

Excatly!! Where are the wide vareity of form factors???? I would have done anything for a slab. Even a horizontal slider would have sufficed. But a 3.56" slider?? Thats got be unwieldy when open!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NahSoR View Post
    @EvilKell

Yeah, a GUI that does almost exactly for webOS what Apple did to iOS to make it an iPad GUI, is something to be happy about.
    When did iOS having multiple tech writers stating that their OS was "made for tablets" or was the mobile OS most ready for tablets?

WebOS since its inception was designed to be able to scale onto different sized devices without major changes...they said this from DAY ONE. Tech writers and fans have been saying since very early on that WebOS would be a perfect OS for a tablet.

Those things aren't true of iOS.

Changing it for changes sake would've been dumb. Their OS works and was pretty much asking to be scaled up to a Tablet...the same isn't really true of iOS.

A smart phone, sorry make that two with the same form factor, one elongated and the other squished is the best thing they could have done.
    Your statement contradicts itself. The fact they're different sizes means their form factor IS different.

No dual core processor for a phone in mid to late 2011?
    I'm guessing you're not a fan of Sony's ARC or HTC's new verizon flagship the Thunderbolt then? Both have single core snapdragons at a lower clock speed set to come out in coming months.

Again falls behind competition. Just 5MP camera and a VGA upfront. (Im sure they did this because this is the iPhone's 'gold' standard). Palm wants to be a follower it would seem, not a pioneer (which is what I expect of them).
    When it comes to hardware? It seems you're correct. When it comes to software? No. I'd rather have solid hardware, which the Pre3 is, and GREAT OS software then GREAT hardware and simply a decent OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    When did iOS having multiple tech writers stating that their OS was "made for tablets" or was the mobile OS most ready for tablets?

WebOS since its inception was designed to be able to scale onto different sized devices without major changes...they said this from DAY ONE. Tech writers and fans have been saying since very early on that WebOS would be a perfect OS for a tablet.

Those things aren't true of iOS.
    Huh. iOS is based on OS X. I'd say it's inherently designed to be scalable.
  16.    #16  
    @Zyphlin posted on your thread:

The internals (alone) is not what is going to get you more customers. Hasnt Apple already proven that?

What I am angry about is that NO other form factors were announced!! And a 3.6" slider when open will not be very comfortable to use.

This is how I see it:

Dual Core Processors are out in phones. Palm's NEXT gen doesnt have it.
    7MP-12MP (and more) phones are out. Palm's NEXT gen doesnt has 5MP.
    4G phones are out. Palm's NEXT gen doesnt have even one 4g phone.
    NFC tech in phones is out. Palm's NEXT gen phones dont have it.
    900x640 screen res. phones are out. Palm's NEXT gen phones dont have anything close.
    32 Gig pjones are out and some have SD card slots. Palm's NEXT gen phones has 16Gigs and no external card slot.
    Phones with HDMI out exist. Palm's NEXT gen phones dont have it.

THEY WERE SAYING THAT THEY WOULD BLOW OUR MINDS!! MIND=NOT BLOWN.

pre3is again going to be playing catch up with other phones, especially flagship devices.

Please dont deny the statement above.

I/We am angry because I/we expect more from Palm who I/we used to LOVE before today.

====

And the webOS mobile GUI is great but yet iOS gets more love because of apps, and HP doesnt seem to be doing enough to get developers to develop for webOS and hence, we are still on a sinking/barely-floating ship.

But for the tablet UI, you have got to innovate. Just like the way they did when they built the mobile UI. And dont be mistaken for one second that change IS needed. Just look at the Notion Ink Adam UI, they had no need to do that because the Android UI is decent as it stands....but they envision much greater possibilities and they are right. I cant believe Palm doesnt/didnt see room for (lot of) improvement for the tablet UI. Sure they adjusted some of it, but it isnt enough. You've got to rethink a whole lot more.
    1) GUI. webOS GUI is substantially better for tablets than anything Apple or Google has out there from what I've seen (albeit limited).
    2) A release in "Summer" is pretty ridiculous, I agree.
    3) No gestures on the tablet is a bit of a bummer, but the HP video from Engadget had an HP tech saying gestures were too complicated to implement (maybe they'll come on later tablets)
    4) 3.6" Displays are right in the money spot and the display on the Pre 3 has 30% more surface area. 4"+ slabs are the fringe, not the norm.
    5) No 4G? That's just plain incorrect. HSPA+ is supported, which likely means both T Mobile and AT&T 4G. WiMax/LTE technology, doesn't seem like it from the specs right now, which is a disappointing.
    6) No dual core. You're right. Just the fastest single core ever announced in a smart phone. There has been no dual core device released so it's a little hard to compare a 1.4GHz Pre 3 vs a dual 1.0GHz Android 2.2 device. My personal experience with dual core is it's most helpful on multitasking, something Android 2.2 doesn't do particularly well.
    7) VGA up front. Perfectly fine. Why add features that make the devices cost more, suck more power and deliver little to nothing except a little asterisk next to the features list?
    8) Add on jack for the Veer. STUPID. Agreed.

Later on you say the 3.6" slider must be unwieldy? I didn't see one single hands on review that mentioned a problem with the device being unwieldy.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

They're cool nerd features, but are they cool general-consumer-features? Your general consumer isn't going to care about nor take the time to learn about this new "bump" technology or how to transfer calls and sms' between devices, they just want something to casually use (hence why the iPad has sold so well).

There seems to be only one company that understands this. Whether you disagree with me or not or just blind to the matter, the numbers don't lie (unless of course, you're HP and use a completely faux mobile OS poll in your slideshow).

Personally, as a geek myself, I think the features are cool, but there are other things that need to happen before I'd ever consider a TouchPad.

I got to see the device hands on today at the developer event and to be honest, I wasn't too impressed. In person, it looks like a low-grade fisher-price toy. Form factor is a direct rip off the iPad, even the buttons line up perfectly (literally, look at the Engadget comparison photos). There are no games for it, no real third-party applications, etc.

Performance was also a big issue. It was sluggish as all get out, at some points almost seemed worse than a stock Pre. Only time will tell ... they still have several months to "fix" things.

Side note: quickly tried out the Veer. A tad bit faster, but reminds me of an overclock stock Pre. Just wasn't feeling it. Still sluggish.

http://picplz.com/user/barkerja/pic/xfpn/ <- Veer in my hand
    Dual cores are NOT out in any US phones unless I missed something. The Optimus 2X is dual core, but it's not available in the US yet. The Atrix and Bionic are March/June devices. They're not even available for pre-order yet, and all of those phones have slower cores than the Pre 3.

I don't doubt the Bionic, Atrix and Optimus might have more pure processing power than the Pre 3, but I do doubt whether or not the extra power will be used well in a Froyo OS environment that isn't as well suited to multi-tasking.

In regard to MP on cameras, please don't speak about this stuff unless you know about digital photography. 12MP is great, but if the image quality sucks, your cropped or blown up photo still sucks. It's why the 5MP iPhone 4 camera is better than the 8MP EVO 4G camera. It's why my old Nikon Coolpix 5400 5.1MP takes higher quality images than my Canon Powershot SD1100IS 8.0MP. There's a LOT that goes into photo quality, and MP are just a very small component. Flash, speed, image processing, and lens design are all more important than comparing 5 to 8 or even 11 megapixels.
    barkerja, maybe you're saying you wanted HP to release a revamped RAZR? LOL. Seriously, though. Exactly what "nerd features" are actually important?

In regard to apps, I thought Enyo would really help solve the migration of current applications to the TouchPad since the resolution and screen size scales automatically or some junk like that according to the PreCentral articles. I guess I wouldn't expect all apps to be available tomorrow or anything, but the promise of a webOS user base in the millions across phones, tablets and PCs would probably get my attention if I was a developer looking to get in on the ground floor where there would be little competition and an opportunity to make a lot of money.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast