Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    barkerja, maybe you're saying you wanted HP to release a revamped RAZR? LOL. Seriously, though. Exactly what "nerd features" are actually important?

In regard to apps, I thought Enyo would really help solve the migration of current applications to the TouchPad since the resolution and screen size scales automatically or some junk like that according to the PreCentral articles. I guess I wouldn't expect all apps to be available tomorrow or anything, but the promise of a webOS user base in the millions across phones, tablets and PCs would probably get my attention if I was a developer looking to get in on the ground floor where there would be little competition and an opportunity to make a lot of money.
    No, what I'm saying is while the new TouchPad and Veer/Pre 3 has some cool "wow factor" features, HP can't expect that to be its selling point. Kind of like how Palm expected webOS' unique card feature to be its selling point.

There's a lot more than just a few cool features that make a well-rounded device.
    Dual cores are NOT out in any US phones unless I missed something. The Optimus 2X is dual core, but it's not available in the US yet. The Atrix and Bionic are March/June devices. They're not even available for pre-order yet, and all of those phones have slower cores than the Pre 3.

I don't doubt the Bionic, Atrix and Optimus might have more pure processing power than the Pre 3, but I do doubt whether or not the extra power will be used well in a Froyo OS environment that isn't as well suited to multi-tasking.

In regard to MP on cameras, please don't speak about this stuff unless you know about digital photography. 12MP is great, but if the image quality sucks, your cropped or blown up photo still sucks. It's why the 5MP iPhone 4 camera is better than the 8MP EVO 4G camera. It's why my old Nikon Coolpix 5400 5.1MP takes higher quality images than my Canon Powershot SD1100IS 8.0MP. There's a LOT that goes into photo quality, and MP are just a very small component. Flash, speed, image processing, and lens design are all more important than comparing 5 to 8 or even 11 megapixels.

The average consumers know nothing of all this.. When marketing they see "10mp camera" they go WOWWWWWWW!!!! This phone doesn't wowwwwww!!!!!
    I don't doubt the Bionic, Atrix and Optimus might have more pure processing power than the Pre 3, but I do doubt whether or not the extra power will be used well in a Froyo OS environment that isn't as well suited to multi-tasking.
    I'll tell you what we do know. The Pre, internally, was comparable with top devices such as the iPhone but ran slower than Symbian on a 1999 device.

webOS just isn't optimized, period. And that's now clearly evident in its inability to run on older generation devices. Here, we have iOS and Android that run on three-year-old devices but webOS 2.x can't run on a device that's less than two years old?

Also, the demos of the new Pre 3 and Veer clearly show evidence of lag (and my hands on experience tonight proved this).
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    The average consumers know nothing of all this.. When marketing they see "10mp camera" they go WOWWWWWWW!!!! This phone doesn't wowwwwww!!!!!
    LOL, you sure give the average consumer a lot of credit. I'll tell you what the "average" consumer really thinks.

OOoohh, this looks cool.
    Wow, I can just tap this and transfer my app point?
    How much does this cost?
    Can I use Facebook?
    Mega-wha? Giga-wha? Shut up with the nerd talk. I don't understand, and NO, I do NOT want you to try and explain it to me.
    Palm Pre vs. iPhone 3GS head to head.

The real world tests didn't have a clear cut winner in terms of performance, but yes, applications load quicker on iOS and Android. The Pre was substantially faster than the iPhone 3.

whatever I think everyone who is doubting will see just how capable the pre 3 is when it's released. I was way disappointed at first. I expected more, but the more specs I read and whatnot, the more excited I am about the pre 3. I think it's going to rule. Amd from what others have stated I believe 2 of the new top tier android phones will have 1ghz processors.....slower than what the pre 3 is. I really don't see why people are dissapointed about this device. Disappointed that what we have now won't get updated, that I understand. Disappointed that we may have to wait 6 months, that too I understand. But the specs on this thing are pretty standard.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Let me see if I have this right:

Some people are complaining that the only impressive features are ones that the average consumer won't care about, and the most common specs like cpu, camera, etc. should be improved.

Other people are complaining the opposite, that it doesn't have things most people don't use like hdmi out.

It seems HP tried for a happy medium and angered everyone (at least on this forum). It sounds like the only solution would be to make a powerful (spec-wise) but featureless cheap device, and a very expensive device with every bell and whistle. Although I bet then people would complain that the cheap device is crappy and the high end device is too expensive.
    first off Im not sure where people are getting this lag statment when alot of acredited reviewers like engagdet, and BGR states that all 3 devices fly. So sorry Im going to have to go with those peoples reviews, because they for the most part even if for a certain OS, still have to give resonable reviews. Also the specs in say the pre 3, and the touchpad again reviewed are for the most part better then anything coming to the market so im again confused at the beef. The pre 3 has the faster processor on the market and as stated will be hard to surpass in the near future. Ask any cameria tech and he'll tell you about megapixels on a cameria so i wont go there. If you need to shoot something to such a high resolution no phone on the market or coming will be able to do that. It has a front facing cameria, the keyboard as reviewed by laptopmag states it blows phones like the bold, torch and treo away. On the touchpad it states it was very fast (again it has the fastest processor the 1.2 dual core inside out of the main ones xoom,ipad, playbook). So to me where HP missed the mark is with the launch dates, carriers and price which I hope they clear up ASAP, and release products sooner then what they anticipate. To me I like they kept the pre form factor its the pre the reason why they named it ...the pre. Like the iphone same form factor looked the same spec bumps. They did say they will have a slab (mansion) a pixi typ (broadway) and a 7 inch tab (opal) so they have more coming.

HP Pre 3 hands-on! | BGR | Boy Genius Report

HP TouchPad hands-on! | BGR | Boy Genius Report

HP Pre 3 first hands-on! (updated with video) -- Engadget

HP TouchPad first hands-on! (updated with video!) -- Engadget

HP TouchPad Video Hands-on: A Tablet Done Right

HP Pre 3 Hands-on: Bigger, Faster, But Late to the Party
    I'll tell you what is a major FAIL is not having flash available on a tablet. It makes the entire websurfing experience one big FAIL. <<deleted by mod>> thank God HP will provide us with a tablet that will give a good web browsing experience... which is what tablets are meant for in the first place. Reading books? Tablets suck for that due to LCD.. stick to an eink book reader like the Kindle for that which has a month battery life and non-eye straining display.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Who the h*ll cares about a fiercely loyal install base to build and drive new business on? OBVIOUSLY NOT HP

Are we expected to just forget about what we have right now (that really sucks in some ways) because we're mindlessly slobbering at the chops for what they say is coming (it's always coming, always) that will only be on a par with everything else by the time it actually arrives??

GET A CLUE HP
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    In regard to MP on cameras, please don't speak about this stuff unless you know about digital photography. 12MP is great, but if the image quality sucks, your cropped or blown up photo still sucks. It's why the 5MP iPhone 4 camera is better than the 8MP EVO 4G camera. It's why my old Nikon Coolpix 5400 5.1MP takes higher quality images than my Canon Powershot SD1100IS 8.0MP. There's a LOT that goes into photo quality, and MP are just a very small component. Flash, speed, image processing, and lens design are all more important than comparing 5 to 8 or even 11 megapixels.
    QFT. Unfortunately the megapixel myth lives on... seems indestructible at this point
    It isn't the hardware that's the problem. Everyones got to stop trying to justify the hardware. The Pre3 looks like a perfect smartphone.

The problem is the WAIT. You have to appreciate the speed that the smartphone market is moving at and it's acceleration. For me an April release would be too late. The fact that none of these products will be available until June earliest is a complete oversight from HP.

By the summer it is very likely there will be android honeycomb phones with very similar ui's to webOS not to mention a new iPhone with multitouch multitasking that they demoed in their sdk recently. Even RIM might have a decent ui and dual core by then.

And what will webos have? Still no Market share and hugely limited infrastructure. Not to mention no support from google.

There are lots of ways HP could have saved what is ultimately the best mobile operating system that will be seen for at least 5 years. Quick release, mass marketing, getting more professional devs on board.

It makes me extremely sad but I'm afraid this is the end of webos for the forseable future. Dell venue pro asap for me.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    QFT. Unfortunately the megapixel myth lives on... seems indestructible at this point

and @ EvilKell
    Yes I know a lot more goes into a camera. Forgive my brevity at that point in time, because I was speakin out of anger.

EVEN all those things considered if my current hardware (Pre Plus) is any indication, then the 5MP on the Pre3 is going to be the sucky 5MP kind. They havent announced anything about the other specifics I know, but I have a sneeking suspicion that it wont measure up to the best 5MP phones out there either.

My Pre Plus did a pathetic job compared to my older Nokia N73 with Carl-Zeiss optics.

And then, now the MP part. With a good lens, a good image processing higher MP does mean higher quality. This is what they needed to give us a high quality high(er) MP camera. I think asking for a good 8 MP camera was reasonable.
    Palm Pre Plus | Creative X-Fi | HP HDX 16 | Opera 10.60 | Windows 7 HP | Ubuntu 10.04
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12