Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    The demos look polished.

Push 'em out. Why wait months. Rolling release is better than a late release.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Maybe for software. For hardware, where you have warranty issues, actual replacement cost, and potential product liability, it's better to get it right the first time.

Remember all the issues with the original Pre when it came out? HP does *NOT* want that to happen to them.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Agreed but from the reviews, they look done with the hardware. if they need to fix stuff before manufacturing, they certainly didn't make it sound like they were going to
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    There's more to the hardware than just the demos. Things like supply chains have to be aligned so you can get all the parts when you start mass production. Long-lead items (stuff that takes awhile to build) will require extra time to build up sufficient supply.

But, its the software. The Enyo framework is in very-alpha mode. It's not done, and therefore the entire ecosystem isn't done and won't be for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  5. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Also, the software on the pre 3 clearly wasn't done. It was missing the app catalog, google maps didn't work right etc. Thats why they didn't let people play with the pre 3. I assume it has to do with adapting the software to the new resolution,
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    The demos look polished.

Push 'em out. Why wait months. Rolling release is better than a late release.
    HAHAHA,

If they rolled these out and had problems you would be the first to complain....
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    So you want to take a pre-production demo phone?? hmm...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    What makes you think they DIDN'T push out the demos, or improved versions of them... Take a look at the email demo from Nov NY Dev Day, then look at the email app in the tablet...

I think HP needs to get a bunch of new developers using the Enyo framework to build apps - this could help work out any issues, and the Enyo team would get more real-world feedback.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    there's so many factors here

as people have stated, software. they want to go enyo, and it's just not ready yet (of course it's not going to be, it takes a lot of time with that stuff)

supply chain, carrier agreements, production, distribution, testing, apps (they want to release with a good # of apps) and i'm sure there's more features they need to polish off before they want the vultures to dig in