Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All of us here know that the six month wait time from reveal to launch killed the Palm Pre...and their horrific marketing.

This time around marketing seems/might be ok, but we have to wait another almost six months for the Pre 3? Another release after another iphone with inferior specs in some ways??? Really.

My predictions are as follows. Pre 2 is DOA. Veer will be Doa Unless it's under $100 at launch. Unless the Pre 3 is less than $149.99 it will be DOA too.

It is looking like history is repeating itself by what Palm/HP is doing. If they don't almost give these phones away and or make them dirt cheap... In thw words of Bill Paxton from Aliens, "GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!"
    Doesn't seem like they have. That's the only thing that is going to kill the phone; the hardware is there. The ETA isn't.
    Bill Paxton was so awesome in that movie. That one scene where hes shooting all over screaming "Game ovah man !!" is a classic. my friends and I wouild play that scene over and over again when we were younger. as for this I agree its such a epic fail , I just dont understand it. Just a good way to assure people just dont care when it comes out. I moved on from the Pre a year ago and if something looked good I would come back BUT the devices are just not something I would drop my droid for ( except the tablet) . and by summer I wouldnt want it anyway. Again WOW is all i can say. Just amazing.
    Back to the future redux. They'll learn, but it will be costly. Very costly.
  5.    #5  
    Well said gentlemen. If these products were coming out next month it would be a completely different story.

The horrific decisions of Palm marketing the Pre in the first place, the 6 month waiting time from release, and how HP now is following the same mistakes, will be in text books for decades to come on WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR PRODUCT AND BUSINESS.
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    Well said gentlemen. If these products were coming out next month it would be a completely different story.

The horrific decisions of Palm marketing the Pre in the first place, the 6 month waiting time from release, and how HP now is following the same mistakes, will be in text books for decades to come on WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR PRODUCT AND BUSINESS.
    I agree, the only thing they did different was drop the Palm name, & replace it with HP. I thought they would learn their lesson, especially after all that hype Apotherker was throwing out there; like telling his employees to toss out their iPhones & iPads, the hardware is ready now. And no more long breaks between announcements & product launch. Iím very disappointed.

It feels like CES 2009 all over again, the only difference this time is they had their own event, instead of announcing this at CES last month. I love the Pre 3 & the TouchPad, but to wait until summer to release them seems like a fail. Itís just what they did with the original Pre. Technology moves too fast for them to wait that long. By the time it releases, competitors would have caught up, or surpassed them in specs, and whatever momentum that would have built up for the Pre 3 & TouchPad will be gone.

I hope Iím wrong, but it looks like history will repeat itself. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over, & expecting different results. This definitely looks insane to me.
    When it comes to pleasing the core users, why should they learn their lesson?

I've been on here all day.

The only thing that I've seen is that people never change.

There are still so many people willing to sit here and wait...spring...summer...fall...beyond...

It's kinda like staying with an abusive husband hoping that eventually he will just stop beating you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

There are still so many people willing to sit here and wait...spring...summer...fall...beyond...

It's kinda like staying with an abusive husband hoping that eventually he will just stop beating you...
    The worst part is these people get all worked up for posting your thoughts and feelings about the Hp products. You tell them the truth and they will never accept it. Instead, your told your whining and should leave, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

There aren't really any options for some of us. We won't leave sprint and there hasn't been a phone since my June upgrade that I wanted, that is worth an extra $10 a month. That's why I still have my overclocked pre.

My contract is up June 9th. Unless Sprint gets something awesome (not iphone, not android) and gives me an awesome offer - it's bye sprint hello virgin.
    I definitely agree that it's stupid for them to make people wait six months, however, It is a decent peice of hardware running webos, unlike the crap hardware we have now. I'm not going to eligible for an upgrade til after the pre 3 is released anyway, so I'm going to get it. Webos is way better than android or ios, and finally we'll have a decent piece of hardware running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There aren't really any options for some of us. We won't leave sprint and there hasn't been a phone since my June upgrade that I wanted, that is worth an extra $10 a month. That's why I still have my overclocked pre.

My contract is up June 9th. Unless Sprint gets something awesome (not iphone, not android) and gives me an awesome offer - it's bye sprint hello virgin.
    Why not iPhone or Android?
    I think far too many people on here dismiss an alternative without even looking...

WM7 will be having a dual-core phone coming to Sprint pretty soon by the way.
    Oh sweet, lemme sign up for Windows Phone 7 and have no copy/paste! WP7 is on par with webOS 1.3.5 maybe. I'll have really sweet tech specs, and no apps, but I'll be able to post my photos directly to facebook like magic. I just have to ask my mid 40s sister and brother in law to show me the wonders, LOL.

Android is a possibility, I suppose. There isn't much on Sprint to get excited about. I could jump to Verizon, though. If I went to Verizon, my device had better support LTE, though. The Droid Bionic looks pretty sick... but it won't be out until June sooooo... T Mobile's coverage blows, and AT&Ts pricing blows so I'm not going there.

iPhone on Verizon maybe, but why not wait a month or two to find out about the iPhone 5 rather than dropping money on an iPhone 4 that doesn't have 4G?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Oh sweet, lemme sign up for Windows Phone 7 and have no copy/paste! WP7 is on par with webOS 1.3.5 maybe. I'll have really sweet tech specs, and no apps, but I'll be able to post my photos directly to facebook like magic. I just have to ask my mid 40s sister and brother in law to show me the wonders, LOL.

Android is a possibility, I suppose. There isn't much on Sprint to get excited about. I could jump to Verizon, though. If I went to Verizon, my device had better support LTE, though. The Droid Bionic looks pretty sick... but it won't be out until June sooooo... T Mobile's coverage blows, and AT&Ts pricing blows so I'm not going there.

iPhone on Verizon maybe, but why not wait a month or two to find out about the iPhone 5 rather than dropping money on an iPhone 4 that doesn't have 4G?
    I read Evo 2 will most likely get announced at CTIA in March 2011. For a possible release in June. If it does not, I will probably opt for the Bionic. Atrix looks enticing but the network blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Doesn't seem like they have. That's the only thing that is going to kill the phone; the hardware is there. The ETA isn't.
    It's not just the ETA that's lacking. It's who will be carrying the phone, how much it will cost and what if any 4G capability will it have.

The specs page doesn't indicate anything regarding the radio. If it did we'd know.

CDMA + WiMAXX = Sprint

CDMA + LTE = Verizon

GSM + LTE = AT&T

Agreed.

And I bet HP knows this.

Assuming this IS HP's decision.

It might not be.

Is it possible they're still negotiating with carriers, which is why the delay and lack of specifics?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    I think we all agree that they need to be available sooner rather than later. I could see that the phone hardware is ready to go now, so the only thing that could prevent them from shipping is getting them through the carrier process and/or finishing webOS 2.1

It sounds like the Veer will be available in March, but I could see that being directly from Palm and not necessarily through a carrier. Funny thing is that Sprint should be able to work in a webOS launch because they won't be selling any of the Kyocera Echo devices, so they should have the time to launch it if Palm builds a Veer with a CDMA radio.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    THey dont' want to launch stuff right away because they don't have the app support. That's the reason for the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    THey dont' want to launch stuff right away because they don't have the app support. That's the reason for the wait.
    i'm sorry but are you trying to suggest that waiting is going to bring that app support?
    NO WAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I find that hard to believe.

They have apps. Perhaps not the same universe as Android or iPhone, but they do have them.

There must be some issue, because I would think they'd have released the stuff today if they could have.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    HP's push has just begun. Maybe their other devices will launch sooner after announcement than the Pre3... The Veer seems to be quite near for example.

Leo Apotheker did say that he wanted to improve time-to-market. I'm still curious about the "secret plan for webOS" to be disclosed in March. Maybe that's when the Veer launches and the Pre3 gets a shipping date. Although HP should definitely have said "oh, and it's available now"... Now that would have been something. The Pre3 is awesome, but waiting months after the announcement isn't.

Then again, I don't think the Pre3 is meant to go after the mainstream user. Jon always talked it up for "professionals", and how it is a mobile office. My money is on a slab-style phone announced (and released) this summer.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Leo Apotheker did say that he wanted to improve time-to-market. I'm still curious about the "secret plan for webOS" to be disclosed in March.
    No that was a plan for overall HP strategy not a WebOS specific thing.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/10/2011 at 03:51 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast