Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The reason why this phone will fail is not because of the specs but it will fail for 2 reasons.

1. Looks like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware
    2.Sounds like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware.

Ever heard of the phrase "once a Hyndai always and Hyndai"???

The consumer is very reluctant to purchase a product that brings memories of poor performance and hardware failures and so HP needed something totally NEW.
    The average consumer gives a fats rats tail about specs but does care about product quality which Pre had neither.
    This phone will sale no more than 400k. Lets place a wager
    but this isn't the orginal facepalm. its v3.
    Man oh Man HP has got to be worried. WHile I know this is just a small forum and a small percentage of new phone buyers but the hate from loyal webos and palm people is overwhelming. I personally like the phones but if it was a year ago. Not this summer. I have showed a few folks the phone (some looking for a new one soon) and they were all Blah etc. not looking good in my unscientfic opinion BUT everyone who see that awesome tablet absolutley loves it.
    Regarding build quality, many (many!) news outlets have already said that the build of the devices that were out were great. Very solid.

Also, luckily, most people don't have memories of poor performance for something that most have never touched, much less bought and used for any extended period of time.
    People like Hyundai's now though.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Man oh Man HP has got to be worried. WHile I know this is just a small forum and a small percentage of new phone buyers but the hate from loyal webos and palm people is overwhelming. I personally like the phones but if it was a year ago. Not this summer. I have showed a few folks the phone (some looking for a new one soon) and they were all Blah etc. not looking good in my unscientfic opinion BUT everyone who see that awesome tablet absolutley loves it.
    I love the Tablet too..Maybe HP is just focused on the tablet..
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG James View Post
    After how many years???? Still not the masses like how they love Toyota and Honda's
    Lol. That's what I was thinking.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    omg, stop complaining...there's no phone out with specs to match the pre3 (1.4ghz!, custom by qualcomm), its thin as hell for its from factor, and is being received with critical acclaim by tech reviewers. Sorry it's not a 5GHz 15MP 5inchscreen 3mmwide 2oz phone.

If it was, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    After how many years???? Still not the masses like how they love Toyota and Honda's

But have you seen Hyundai's strategy? Cheap, reliable and with a good warranty. HP could learn something from this.
    They want to have it as a ecosystem. you have a wbeos Tablet , a web os printer and a webos phone and they all talk etc. A pretty big financial investment i suppose. And while i absolutley love the tablet I think its going to be way out of my price range with the touchstone. Part of the coolness of the tablet is that touchstone thing and thats probally a $79 device i bet.

Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    I love the Tablet too..Maybe HP is just focused on the tablet..
    Like he said...after how many years?
    And this is a different world than the car business.

HP has to bring in some developer interest and the Pre 3/Veer aren't going to do it.
    The specs and quality look much better than the original Pre. If this device fails, I'd say it's because of the time interval between product announcement and product release. Summer does nothing for this product, especially after the CEO of HP was quoted as saying such time intervals were a thing of the past for HP.

Most of the people that I've spoken with and most of the threads that we've had to moderate are mainly because of the CEO comments and what actually took place today (summer release)? Many are upset and angered over the disparity of the two.

Had HP announced that these devices will be ready in March, the tone of the forum would have a different pitch.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Notice that the slider in the new phones is now flat, none of that curved pre action. Who ever thought of that probably had an unrealistic expectation of manufacturing tolerances.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    The specs and quality look much better than the original Pre. If this device fails, I'd say it's because of the time interval between product announcement and product release. Summer does nothing for this product, especially after the CEO of HP was quoted as saying such time intervals were a thing of the past for HP.

Most of the people that I've spoken with and most of the threads that we've had to moderate are mainly because of the CEO comments and what actually took place today (summer release)? Many are upset and angered over the disparity of the two.

Had HP announced that these devices will be ready in March, the tone of the forum would have a different pitch.
    Ok..This makes 3 major reason.. But remember the AVERAGE consumer is what needs to be the target and by sales numbers for HTC and Samsungs phones this will NOT wow the average consumer
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post

I think you've got it
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I'm quoting someone else here but this is why this will all be a fail:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Palm Announcement Fail

Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    How can people even contemplate getting a smartphone for which development is almost nill, except for the likes of Brighthouse Labs and fart apps? Even serious apps such as Epocrates have canceled their WebOS support. The fact is that developers have turned their back on WebOS and the momentum is with Android. The only thing that could save WebOS is if developers fall in love with the tablet and start developing for it.

PS. My name is HondaCop and I approve this message.
    I hate this guy, but he's absolutely right here.

but people NEED cars. They don't NEED tablets.
  19.    #19  
    But have you seen Hyundai's strategy? Cheap, reliable and with a good warranty. HP could learn something from this.
    To my point exactly..Great strategy but poor public perception. I went to the auto show in Houston and saw a terrific, amazing, cool, luxury, very competitive Hyundai.. It looked better, drove better, cheaper and better warranty than the rest.

The problem was as people walked by was " Its still a Hyundai"!!!!
    You know, the original launch sucked so bad, I'm not sure there is enough collective memory to matter. Business people might adopt the Pre3 if IT departments believe it meets their needs.

Consumers (clearly and stately not HPs focus) have decided they want 4.3" screens and horizontal sliders. They want sexy and cool much more so than productive. They want games, video, music, entertainment along with passable email.

HP is not choosing to fight here. They're fighting RIM and Windows 7 as business-centric offerings.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast