Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Ever heard of the phrase "once a Hyndai always and Hyndai"???
    You have not paying attention to Hyundai lately. They are outselling the Toyotas and Hondas
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    HP has to bring in some developer interest and the Pre 3/Veer aren't going to do it.
    What? This is HP. One of the largest computer hardware manufacturers in the world. When they talk, software development companies listen. This isn't tiny Palm saying "hey we have a phone", this is a multi-billion-dollar international computer conglomerate doing a major launch of three products. Believe me, they will have some big name development partners coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    What? This is HP. One of the largest computer hardware manufacturers in the world. When they talk, software development companies listen. This isn't tiny Palm saying "hey we have a phone", this is a multi-billion-dollar international computer conglomerate doing a major launch of three products. Believe me, they will have some big name development partners coming up.
    Yeah, they could barely fit them all in yesterday. Awesome major launch, developer-wise. And when can users buy these newly developed apps? Spring? Summer? The Ides of March 2012?
    I love the Tablet too..Maybe HP is just focused on the tablet..
    If they are focused on the tablet, why did they totally cripple the WebOS experience by removing gestures and putting back that useless home button that they removed on the Pre+ and on.

Once you get used to the back gesture, using another phone with stupid back buttons makes you appreciate just how intuitive and practical it is to navigate in WebOS , yet they decided to do things in the iPad way...

They said that it's hard to implement gestures on a tablet, yet RIM totally ripped off the UI and the gestures with the Playbook. HP does nothing about it... just tries to copy (and catch up to) Apple, instead of building on what is AWESOME about WebOS. Very disappointed.
    The reason why this phone will fail is not because of the specs but it will fail for 2 reasons.

1. Looks like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware
    2.Sounds like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware.

The consumer is very reluctant to purchase a product that brings memories of poor performance and hardware failures and so HP needed something totally NEW.
    The average consumer gives a fats rats tail about specs but does care about product quality which Pre had neither.
    This phone will sale no more than 400k. Lets place a wager
    The phone is fine. I will get one if it comes to sprint.

Hp is all about trying to entice their business customers, just read their description, business this business that. The have grand plan that doesn't include us.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You have not paying attention to Hyundai lately. They are outselling the Toyotas and Hondas
    BTW Ford (Fusion) is out selling Honda (Accord), and Chevy (Cruize) is outselling Toyota (Prius)
    You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....

And how did they do that?

By changing what they are doing.
    Not doing the same things over and over again.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh....ok. So simply by virtue of it being WebOS - despite being on a different form factor with new app frameworks, new apps, no ecosystem save Kindle and HP "movie store" and no gesture area - people will love this released at any price in any form on any carrier, regardless of what the competition offers?

That sound about right?
    I guess you are passionate about finding faults with WebOS. You make valid points too. But show me a 9 plus inch tablet that does browsing and elegant Visual MultiTasking ( not some double pressing buttons or holding apps....) ?

That elegant multitasking is the key to sell. As long as HP breaks even with the sales they will continue to make the new devices. They are not Apple , not Motorola not Samsung and not surely HTC.

Porsche is not a Toyota not a Honda and definitely not a Hyundai. Porsche doesn't need to be.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Well Focus outsold Accord but not Civic or Corolla and definitely Elantra. The author should pick cars in the same category.
    HP is going to skyrocket !! watch and learn . they didnt become as big as they are by not knowing how to run a business !! and yes they are new to the phone market but they will adjust quickly . you can bank on it !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    HP is going to skyrocket !! watch and learn . they didnt become as big as they are by not knowing how to run a business !! and yes they are new to the phone market but they will adjust quickly . you can bank on it !!
    Ah... the ol' "hp is a huge company with money so its a guaranteed win" comment.

You don't think HP has failed before or something?
    everyone has failed at something at some point in time ! but the ones the learned from that failure are the big dogs and become the big dogs ! HP got big from learning from their mistakes ! lighten up and quit being a debbie downer for the rest of us . most of us wont give up on webOS and it wont go away , its here to stay ! except it !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think the pre3 is going to be a great phone, has everything every other smartphones have now a days and something they dont like 1.4ghz proc. Anyways, there is a method to HP's madness that we dont understand yet. HP seems to be putting a lot of resources into webOS, they arent gonna let it just fail. Just wish they would let us in on it.
    I guess you are passionate about finding faults with WebOS. You make valid points too. But show me a 9 plus inch tablet that does browsing and elegant Visual MultiTasking ( not some double pressing buttons or holding apps....) ?

That elegant multitasking is the key to sell. As long as HP breaks even with the sales they will continue to make the new devices. They are not Apple , not Motorola not Samsung and not surely HTC.

Porsche is not a Toyota not a Honda and definitely not a Hyundai. Porsche doesn't need to be.
    Last time I checked, "multitasking" on the TouchPad was identical to multitasking on a Honeycomb tablet except that HP makes you use a physical button (once. No double-tap) and it takes you out of whatever you are doing, whereas Honeycomb's multitasking button (once. No double-tap) is onscreen at all times and lets you glide from app to app with a single button press and without having to return to a desktop.

You can't even advance swipe between apps anymore on the tablet, apparently.
    I don't think the phone will fail. HP will put the resources behind it so it gets out there.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    No offense, but "adjusting quickly" didn't really seem like a chief attribute of HP given the launch windows we heard yesterday.
    You'd be a lucky boy to have such a car.
    I think people are waiting on HP to stop offering a "vision" to challenge Apple and instead offer release dates, carriers, ecosystem, and form factors to challenge them instead.

Might account for the negativity...
    This. This right here.

I really like what the new hardware has to offer, though the veer seems slightly ill-advised and the lack of gesture area on the tablet seems like a poor decision. (pehaps it can be implemented in software with a "gesture bar" on the bottom of the screen, just a few pixels wide, like a scroll bar.. Then it could move with orientation too.. Ok enough about that..)

the IDEA for the connected WebOS ecosystem also seems visionary, and desktop WebOS to go with it! Yes, it's all great! The exact issue is its all barely a full step removed from vapor, and HP's track record in the "[past] months" for delivery on promises (need I even elaborate?) has been, shal we say, "poor".

I have visions in my dreams and when i'm really drunk (hey! Halucinations count!), but I'm not tying to sell a product to a recently very dissilusioned fan base and a billion other people who have never heard of my previous product.

followthrough is what we need here, and we havn't seen too much of it lately.
    Last edited by Jawzx2; 02/11/2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling and stuffs.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Last time I checked, "multitasking" on the TouchPad was identical to multitasking on a Honeycomb tablet except that HP makes you use a physical button (once. No double-tap) and it takes you out of whatever you are doing, whereas Honeycomb's multitasking button (once. No double-tap) is onscreen at all times and lets you glide from app to app with a single button press and without having to return to a desktop.

You can't even advance swipe between apps anymore on the tablet, apparently.
    Taking down gestures is to do with accidental swipes on the Tablet. So you are saying Honeycomb is better than WebOS. Sure.
    But give HP some time. I know people said Palm had enough "Time" however they lacked money. With HP's support they have money now. My bet is that the next iteration of the WebOS will leapfrog Android and iOS.
    Taking down gestures is to do with accidental swipes on the Tablet. So you are saying Honeycomb is better than WebOS. Sure.
    But give HP some time. I know people said Palm had enough "Time" however they lacked money. With HP's support they have money now. My bet is that the next iteration of the WebOS will leapfrog Android and iOS.
    Yes yes I agree !!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast