Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    You know, the original launch sucked so bad, I'm not sure there is enough collective memory to matter. Business people might adopt the Pre3 if IT departments believe it meets their needs.

Consumers (clearly and stately not HPs focus) have decided they want 4.3" screens and horizontal sliders. They want sexy and cool much more so than productive. They want games, video, music, entertainment along with passable email.

HP is not choosing to fight here. They're fighting RIM and Windows 7 as business-centric offerings.
    Trust me, walk into a Sprint store, people remember.

The Pre was the highest selling device on Sprint til the Evo.

The Pre was also one of the highest percentage replaced device ever on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Is the Veer the consumer phone and the Pre 3 a professional phone? It is odd that Ruby announced the Pre 3 as a phone for "professionals." Clearly, they both look like consumer type phones...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    The reason why this phone will fail is not because of the specs but it will fail for 2 reasons.

1. Looks like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware
    2.Sounds like the old - The original Pre was an epic fail to the masses due to the issues with very poor hardware.

Ever heard of the phrase "once a Hyndai always and Hyndai"???

The consumer is very reluctant to purchase a product that brings memories of poor performance and hardware failures and so HP needed something totally NEW.
    The average consumer gives a fats rats tail about specs but does care about product quality which Pre had neither.
    This phone will sale no more than 400k. Lets place a wager
    Doesn't need to. They'll buy the tablet. They'll love the tablet. They'll buy the phone with the same OS. Halo Effect.

If HP can REALLY make the tablet popular, the rest will fall into place beautifully. It is, tentatively, the BEST iPad alternative.

But if RIM and Android beat them... come ooooon HP
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    After how many years???? Still not the masses like how they love Toyota and Honda's
    It didn't take them very long. The early 90s models were much better than what was introduced in the mid 80s. IMHO, the partnership with Mitsubishi helped out quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Doesn't need to. They'll buy the tablet. They'll love the tablet. They'll buy the phone with the same OS. Halo Effect.

If HP can REALLY make the tablet popular, the rest will fall into place beautifully. It is, tentatively, the BEST iPad alternative.
    Why? Genuine question. The best iPad alternative is the Nook Color, closely followed by the Galaxy Tab. How can you rank a tablet that is unreviewed, unpriced and unreleased?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why? Genuine question. The best iPad alternative is the Nook Color, closely followed by the Galaxy Tab. How can you rank a tablet that is unreviewed, unpriced and unreleased?
    Because I know the software.

Nook is an ereader. Your average consumer is NOT going to root and honeycomb it.

Galaxy tab is a small form factor, underpowered, and uses outdated software (there's no guarantee it'll get honeycomb).

We have all USED WebOS. Therefore we know how it works and its capabilities. And we know people will love it when they get it.

Only question is, will they get it soon enough.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Because I know the software.

Nook is an ereader. Your average consumer is NOT going to root and honeycomb it.

Galaxy tab is a small form factor, underpowered, and uses outdated software (there's no guarantee it'll get honeycomb).

We have all USED WebOS. Therefore we know how it works and its capabilities. And we know people will love it when they get it.

Only question is, will they get it soon enough.
    Uh....ok. So simply by virtue of it being WebOS - despite being on a different form factor with new app frameworks, new apps, no ecosystem save Kindle and HP "movie store" and no gesture area - people will love this released at any price in any form on any carrier, regardless of what the competition offers?

That sound about right?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Uh....ok. So simply by virtue of it being WebOS - despite being on a different form factor with new app frameworks, new apps, no ecosystem save Kindle and HP "movie store" and no gesture area - people will love this released at any price in any form on any carrier, regardless of what the competition offers?

That sound about right?
    Well, while we're being sarcastic...

- You need carriers for wifi now?
    - Yes, I'm sure it'll be $5,000 (obviously the price matters, I never said it didn't).
    - I'm not trying to get offside with anyone, and there's no need to be snarky. I merely said that it's tentatively the best iPad alternative so far. I didn't say it'll take the world by storm.

Well, while we're being sarcastic...

- You need carriers for wifi now?
    - Yes, I'm sure it'll be $5,000 (obviously the price matters, I never said it didn't).
    - I'm not trying to get offside with anyone, and there's no need to be snarky. I merely said that it's tentatively the best iPad alternative so far. I didn't say it'll take the world by storm.
    But you're not basing this opinion on the TouchPad or the price or the ecosystem, you're basing it on WebOS. You would have the same opinion regardless of what HP announced according to your reasoning, so it's not like you're presenting a compelling reason for an objective consumer to agree.

Tentatively, ANY tablet could be the best iPad alternative. Actually, none of them are until they can be purchased, reviewed, and put through their paces.
    The Palm Pre is very unknown to the masses. While there are some Sprint folks that know the Pre well, the Pre series never sold well in comparison to the Droids, EVOs and iPhones out there. I still get the "what kind of phone is that" a lot from people.

The TouchPad has the features that made me feel like a tablet was a viable option... unlike the iPad which just seemed like a really big iPod. It does have that going for it. Price points will be very important, and so will availability date. "Summer" is just way too far off, and it's so incredibly vague.

Is "Summer" better than saying September, 22? Yeah, I'd say it is if you want people to wait for your device, but it's certainly not appropriate for a company that has established it's reputation as incompetent when it comes to following through with major promises. webOS 2.0 on older webOS devices, Flash, having product ready to ship at announcement date.
    Very few people outside this forum and Sprint CSRs would be aware of the 'supposed' build problems. (BTW I've not experienced any.) Provided the Pre 3 is solid, there should be no problem selling them to the rest of the population.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    But you're not basing this opinion on the TouchPad or the price or the ecosystem, you're basing it on WebOS. You would have the same opinion regardless of what HP announced according to your reasoning, so it's not like you're presenting a compelling reason for an objective consumer to agree.

Tentatively, ANY tablet could be the best iPad alternative. Actually, none of them are until they can be purchased, reviewed, and put through their paces.
    My belief is that any capacitive, 9-10" touchscreen tablet running webos with sufficient storage will be better than any other tablet, other than the ipad, *currently* available.

You can think I'm naive if you want. I guess I just know what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Very few people outside this forum and Sprint CSRs would be aware of the 'supposed' build problems. (BTW I've not experienced any.) Provided the Pre 3 is solid, there should be no problem selling them to the rest of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Trust me, walk into a Sprint store, people remember.

The Pre was the highest selling device on Sprint til the Evo.

The Pre was also one of the highest percentage replaced device ever on Sprint.

As I said, walk into a sprint store.
    Ask the common person at the store.
    They remember.
    I'm frankly shocked at the negativity. HP faces essentially relaunching webOS. The vision outlined today was of seemless integration across multiple devices up to and including desktops. Stop looking at each phone in isolation. The Veer is a partner to the Touchpad tablet. If you like the tablet the Veer makes perfect sense as the data throughput. I can see deals with both devices for a single price, a single contract and a single data account. Small is perfect as the complement to a 10" tablet. And regardless, webOS still has the immaculate, elegant and simple gesture-based cards interface with true multi-tasking. We'll get that on new fast phones and on a tablet and relatively soon. Is it perfection? Nirvana? An iPhone clone? No, but the vision outlined will differentiate HP from generic PC makers and offer a real challenge to Apple.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Well said! I share your shock. It seems some people have no grasp of reality. The new products are GREAT. And HP has done really well. And this isn't the end, folks. It's not like this is the last thing HP will ever do.

I have to agree that this is a fail. First for what you mentioned that the form factor is the same. They atleast should have added a horizontal slider or a slab version. Second though there was no mention of carriers. This is a problem because people with the original pre on sprint are not guranteed that this new phone will come to sprint, thus casuing original pre users to seek other options before or if this comes to sprint. Just my two cents
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    My prediction: A slab form factor will be coming. March, perhaps?

My prediction: A slab form factor will be coming. March, perhaps?
    My prediction: your prediction is based on nothing.

HP can't even say when these devices are going to be out, they're talking about months, and you're gonna try to predict ANOTHER device within 30 days?

Puh-lease.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthemPixi View Post
    I'm frankly shocked at the negativity. HP faces essentially relaunching webOS. The vision outlined today was of seemless integration across multiple devices up to and including desktops. Stop looking at each phone in isolation. The Veer is a partner to the Touchpad tablet. If you like the tablet the Veer makes perfect sense as the data throughput. I can see deals with both devices for a single price, a single contract and a single data account. Small is perfect as the complement to a 10" tablet. And regardless, webOS still has the immaculate, elegant and simple gesture-based cards interface with true multi-tasking. We'll get that on new fast phones and on a tablet and relatively soon. Is it perfection? Nirvana? An iPhone clone? No, but the vision outlined will differentiate HP from generic PC makers and offer a real challenge to Apple.
    I think people are waiting on HP to stop offering a "vision" to challenge Apple and instead offer release dates, carriers, ecosystem, and form factors to challenge them instead.

Might account for the negativity...
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I like the phone. I wager that the market has a short memory...and if the phone performs it'll sell. Will it be Apple Sales or Android Sales.... of course not. But it'll sell enough to keep WebOS relevant and it'll keep HP making phones with an OS we love here. Maybe not a huge win for HP's bottom line but one for us. WebOS is not dead YAAAAAY!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast