Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Explain why the resolution is a "fail."

As I state over and over, megapixels mean very, very little. You are simply trained to look for a numerical value to compare products by. The iPhone 4's camera (5 MP) is vastly superior to, basically, every camera on any smartphone thus far, regardless of if they are 7 MP or 8 MP. The only phone that beats it is the N8, which is because the N8 is basically a camera with a phone thrown in.

If the spec wars have progressed far enough to judge a product based on if the front facing camera (of all things) can record in 720p then yes, Palm deserves to lose. So does Apple. And HTC. And Motorola, and Samsung. Because that's just flat out stupid.
    In a saturated and highly competetive market companies must not try to meet the same expectations of the competitor but exceed them. Frankly this phone should have come with 10mp cameras. Even though they may not perform better this is a strong selling point. This is why it is a fail!!! in order for the Bigger sharks eat smaller ones!
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    In a saturated and highly competetive market companies must not try to meet the same expectations of the competitor but exceed them. Frankly this phone should have come with 10mp cameras. Even though they may not perform better this is a strong selling point. This is why it is a fail!!! in order for the Bigger sharks eat smaller ones!
    A couple ways I can counter this...

First, who are they competing against? iPhone? Or, perhaps, Blackberry Torch and DROID Pro? Because, if its the latter two, this simply walks up behind them and stabs them in the back. There's no competition in really any area. If the iPhone is the competition, then guess what: they were going to lose anyways. Nobody has 'beaten' the iPhone, and nobody will for years to come. In terms of delivering an experience that people love to love, Apple is king.

Second, there is nothing wrong with the current specs. The 1.4 GHz processor is the fastest to be announced on a phone thus far. That's big. 512 MB of RAM is the standard for high-end devices. A good camera lens wise will always trounce a 10 MP camera with ****ty lenses. Hopefully Palm knows this, and they are focusing on something that actually makes the camera work better.

Would it be nice to have a high-end device with Tegra 3, clocking at 3 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 16 MP camera w/ 1080p 3D video recording, Samsung Super AMOLED Plus ^2 4.5 inch screen? Sure. And that's probably the only device that would have been able to live up to the hype set for this event. Unfortunately for everyone, that device doesn't exist, and probably won't for a few years.

Basically, my position is this: the phone is great. The hardware is there, for the first time in webOS' history. Instead, the problem is so small, yet so big: the ship date is simply unacceptable. By summer, an onslaught of Android devices will be hitting. The iPhone 5 will have either just hit, or be coming in mere weeks. That's the problem, not the phone.
  3.    #23  
    A couple ways I can counter this...

First, who are they competing against? iPhone? Or, perhaps, Blackberry Torch and DROID Pro? Because, if its the latter two, this simply walks up behind them and stabs them in the back. There's no competition in really any area. If the iPhone is the competition, then guess what: they were going to lose anyways. Nobody has 'beaten' the iPhone, and nobody will for years to come. In terms of delivering an experience that people love to love, Apple is king.

Second, there is nothing wrong with the current specs. The 1.4 GHz processor is the fastest to be announced on a phone thus far. That's big. 512 MB of RAM is the standard for high-end devices. A good camera lens wise will always trounce a 10 MP camera with ****ty lenses. Hopefully Palm knows this, and they are focusing on something that actually makes the camera work better.

Would it be nice to have a high-end device with Tegra 3, clocking at 3 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 16 MP camera w/ 1080p 3D video recording, Samsung Super AMOLED Plus ^2 4.5 inch screen? Sure. And that's probably the only device that would have been able to live up to the hype set for this event. Unfortunately for everyone, that device doesn't exist, and probably won't for a few years.

Basically, my position is this: the phone is great. The hardware is there, for the first time in webOS' history. Instead, the problem is so small, yet so big: the ship date is simply unacceptable. By summer, an onslaught of Android devices will be hitting. The iPhone 5 will have either just hit, or be coming in mere weeks. That's the problem, not the phone.
    dude the phone doesnt even have 4G.. that is a phone fail!!!
    hspa+...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Would it be nice to have a high-end device with Tegra 3, clocking at 3 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 16 MP camera w/ 1080p 3D video recording, Samsung Super AMOLED Plus ^2 4.5 inch screen? Sure.
    And even then...if you gave me a choice between that with Android on it or the Pre3 with WebOS I'd take the Pre3 without question.

Good specs and good design plus GREAT OS is much better to me then AMAZING specs and solid but bland design (like most android phones) with meh OS
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    dude the phone doesnt even have 4G.. that is a phone fail!!!
    Indeed, lack of 4G alone makes for a phone fail!

You fail phone! FAIL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Indeed, lack of 4G alone makes for a phone fail!

You fail phone! FAIL!
    The iphone is a completely different story and WebOS cannot, in any universe, be compared to it.
    The devices Aren't the issue. Its:

-release date
    -spatting on early webOS adopters denying them webOS2.0, effectively losing most of your remaining fanbase, not to mention p'ing off your loyal devs
    -failing to offer a form factor to complement your signature vert slider. Sometimes you have to give into the masses to push your vision.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    That's my thinking too.

In fact, as I think about it, it's not just lack of a ship date, it's the lack of carrier info as well.

This page says it all:

Palm USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses

There are no carrier icons next to the new items. There can be no ship date without a carrier.

I also see that there are no specs regarding either LTE or WiMaxx. Many here are assuming that means neither will be supported. I don't agree.

I suspect once the carrier agreements are clear we will see those specs appear and ship dates.

I'm betting Sprint will carry the PrPrPr&#$275$; $and$ $the$ $TouchPad$.

If they do, then both will be Wi-Maxx.

Seriously how could they not be?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The iphone is a completely different story and WebOS cannot, in any universe, be compared to it.
    However he stated the phone failed singularly and specifically on lack of 4g.

Meaning apparently everything else about the phone is irrelevant as to whether or not it fails, which means the iPhone on Verizon equally "Fails" because it lacks 4g
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However he stated the phone failed singularly and specifically on lack of 4g.

Meaning apparently everything else about the phone is irrelevant as to whether or not it fails, which means the iPhone on Verizon equally "Fails" because it lacks 4g
    If Apple comes out with an iPhone 5 that doesn't have 4g capabilities this will be true.

The Verizon iPhone is nothing more than last years technology pushed to a new network because people want it. It's a completely different situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    No thats too much common sense and the potrait slider is a great form factor. It differentiates itself from profitability.
    LOL
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12