Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Pre 3 is guilty by association, apparently. The specs are fantastic, but it looks the same. That's why there was that response.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    The Pre 3 is guilty by association, apparently. The specs are fantastic, but it looks the same. That's why there was that response.
    What response do you think consumers will have when they see that form factor and OS back on store shelves?
    They dropped Palm name/logo ... the least they could have done is drop the 'Pre' name - it adds nothing.

It would have been a simple move, anyone who wants a Pre3 would still buy it and they might have some legit marketing with a NEW and BETTER name - maybe a carrier will FORCE a name change ...
    Unless the phone was "new" it wasn't going to get any attention. That's expected. It's a nice phone and that's how it was treated. The Touchpad was the "news" for the day along with the syncing/ecosystem announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What response do you think consumers will have when they see that form factor and OS back on store shelves?
    I don't believe they will have a reaction. The only way they will know that this is a continuation of a product line that has been around for a few years is the name: "Pre 3."

HP is lucky in that regard.

However, like I've stated before, by the time these are slated to ship, none of this will matter. They will look at the DROID Bionic ^2 next to it, and see some fancy tech jargon that doesn't compute, and blindly think, "Hmm... Dual core 1 GHz... the commercial said that equals 2 GHz. That must mean this is the better phone." That, or they'll buy an iPhone.
    Mikah's observations matched mine when I saw it on the replay video last night, however, I think the reasons are:

The Pre, itself was a disappointing performer because of build quality and the 6 month delay from announcement, so it wasnt state of the art by then.

It looked just like a regular Pre when he took it out of his pocket; at 3.6" diagnal, its difficult to tell that there was a significant size increase.

Take these into account, and the media who expected radical stuff (as I think many did, from the pre-meeting hype) was probably more shocked at the similarity and continued association with the "Pre" name and look and form factor.

Now, Im not saying the device wont be successful or that it isnt a high quality device; quite the contrary, it appears that it just might be quite the opposite and do very well.

Im just explaining the likely reason behind the "dead" audience reaction that Mikah has pointed out.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I find the whole practice of "journalists" clapping and cheering at product launches very odd, which is why I don't trust tech journalists.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I find the whole practice of "journalists" clapping and cheering at product launches very odd, which is why I don't trust tech journalists.
    They really aren't journalists in the traditional sense for the most part. They are enthusiasts. A lot of tech bloggers have no background in business but they know gadgets. It's like the entertainment press.

Yesterday was about the TouchPad. That was the focus. I think they need another event just for phones and should have only focused on the TouchPad yesterday.
    The thing is, do you buy a phone based on its looks or how it performs? Pre 2 by all accounts works much better than the original Pre and the original was no slouch. The problems with PRe minus were TMC errors (gone with Enyo), initial build quality e.g. oreo effect (not as widespread as people seem to think as evidenced by several polls on this site, I am still on my first). Most of teh issues with Pre minus were fixed with Pre Plus but by that time Droid fever had taken effect and Pre wa snot the gretest thing however why that was the case is still a mystery to me since judging by the performance of Android 2.1 on my Epic I am sure Android 2.0 was worse. It could just be me but andoid is cludgy, unrefined and lacks consistency. Even with the fastest processor and 512 Mb of memory my Epic takes longer to do tasks than my stock Pre minus but I digress.

Pre 3 has SECOND generation snapdragon the one in Tmobile -G2 running at 1.4 GHz compared to 800 MHz in the tmboile G2. This processor is actually very competitive with Tegra 2 (dual core 1 GHZ) so I am sure that a 1.4 GHz version will be very competitive. HP has been tweaking the code on webOS as well the device scales processor speed and thus battery life should be much better than the original Pre.

As for the statement by the OP, I think you need to re-watch the show as there was a clap sound when he said Pre 3 and then it stopped. He finished the sentence and said yeah go on (or something to that effect). It did not seem at all to me that he was begging for applause as insinuated by the OP. I watched the show twice.

I am surprised people who seemingly hate HP/Palm devices have enough time to come to this site and bash devices they don't own, haven't seen touched or used and don't plan on owning. I fail to understand the need to justify something to yourself when you are in no way affected by it. You don't like something; vote with you wallet "Don't buy it" but please don't spread Fear Uncertainty Doubt (FUD). When the device is out and there are reviews abound we will know for sure however as far as specs go this device is VERY competitive. This was backed by comments from several gadget blog people who actually held the device and checked it out.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Mikah's observations matched mine when I saw it on the replay video last night, however, I think the reasons are:

The Pre, itself was a disappointing performer because of build quality and the 6 month delay from announcement, so it wasnt state of the art by then.

It looked just like a regular Pre when he took it out of his pocket; at 3.6" diagnal, its difficult to tell that there was a significant size increase.

Take these into account, and the media who expected radical stuff (as I think many did, from the pre-meeting hype) was probably more shocked at the similarity and continued association with the "Pre" name and look and form factor.

Now, Im not saying the device wont be successful or that it isnt a high quality device; quite the contrary, it appears that it just might be quite the opposite and do very well.

Im just explaining the likely reason behind the "dead" audience reaction that Mikah has pointed out.
    Agree with the above, except I cannot assume it will "do very well" since it's pretty far off from arriving and has no price or carrier.

But that's exactly my point. Given the opportunity for a fresh start and a new lease on life, why, oh, why would you evoke the past failed device so explicitly when that is the natural reaction to it?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    The thing is, do you buy a phone based on its looks or how it performs? Pre 2 by all accounts works much better than the original Pre and the original was no slouch. The problems with PRe minus were TMC errors (gone with Enyo), initial build quality e.g. oreo effect (not as widespread as people seem to think as evidenced by several polls on this site, I am still on my first). Most of teh issues with Pre minus were fixed with Pre Plus
    Then why didn't the Pre Plus or Pre 2 enjoy greater sales, shelf life, and acclaim than the original Pre? If the only problems were TMC errors and build quality, surely a device without those limitations PLUS upgraded internals would be a bigger hit, right?

but by that time Droid fever had taken effect and Pre wa snot the gretest thing however why that was the case is still a mystery to me since judging by the performance of Android 2.1 on my Epic I am sure Android 2.0 was worse. It could just be me but andoid is cludgy, unrefined and lacks consistency. Even with the fastest processor and 512 Mb of memory my Epic takes longer to do tasks than my stock Pre minus but I digress.
    I'm afraid it's just you. I abandoned "stock" status on my Epic long ago when I got into the world of ROMs, but my stock Epic swiped through photos faster, started apps faster, rendered animations smoother, and kept far more apps open for far longer than my Uberkernel Sprint Pre. I sold it while I could still get over $50 return on it.

As for the statement by the OP, I think you need to re-watch the show as there was a clap sound when he said Pre 3 and then it stopped. He finished the sentence and said yeah go on (or something to that effect). It did not seem at all to me that he was begging for applause as insinuated by the OP. I watched the show twice.
    Then you should watch it a THIRD time because what you are referring to is the section a minute or so later when he announces the Pre 3 screen size as 3.6 inches. What I am referring to is when he first unveils it. I included the timecode in my first post, and I invite you and anyone else to watch and tell me I am incorrect.

I am surprised people who seemingly hate HP/Palm devices have enough time to come to this site and bash devices they don't own, haven't seen touched or used and don't plan on owning. I fail to understand the need to justify something to yourself when you are in no way affected by it. You don't like something; vote with you wallet "Don't buy it" but please don't spread Fear Uncertainty Doubt (FUD). When the device is out and there are reviews abound we will know for sure however as far as specs go this device is VERY competitive. This was backed by comments from several gadget blog people who actually held the device and checked it out.
    Which is great and absolutely NOT the point of this thread. I don't pretend to know how the device performs, how it will "do", or any of that. I simply noted that one of the major smartphone manufacturers on the planet just unveiled a flagship device that got a reaction where the CEO had to beg for applause. That is A)notable and B)pathetic. If you want to classify that as FUD, then you should blame the provider - Jon Rubinstein - not me.
    I think a lot of the complaints and bitterness (though irrational) spawn from some valid disappointments. The first is that it resembles it's failed predecessors. People wanted something new for newness
    sake, and carrying the pre name meant that in people's minds, it carried the stigma of failure. Second, it's the broken promise of a quick release date upon announcement. I think this is the most reasonable of any complaints. Hp specifically told us one thing and failed to follow through when the time came.

Personally, i think the phone specs are fine. I'm still on my pre - and have always yearned for a little more muscle underneath the hood. A bigger, slimmer, and more powerful iteration of the pre is exactly what I'm looking for. In my opinion, what we'll be getting IS top of the line. I don't understand some people on here nitpicking specifics of this phone and comparing it's deficiencies to other flagship phones. From what i can tell, the atrix is the only phone that trumps the pre in everything, but even then that doesnt outweigh having webOS.

The release schedule however is much harder to excuse. It feels like hpalm is just totally lacking in common sense and business savvy. You don't tell the public that you will release your products soon after announcement - several days before your BIG announcement - and then decide that "soon" is 5 months. And it's not like this came from a low level lackey, it was the freaking CEO of the company that made this promise. If this wasn't an outright lie (which i don't believe it is), the only plausible explanation is incompetence.

I love webOS and the devices that it powers. However, some of the actions by hp really concerns me. Some how it just doesn't seem like the future of webOS is in good hands.
    1.4ghz chipset, 480x800 display, 5mp autofocus cam with hd video and 1.3mp front facing camera... seems like a win to me, i dont kno y people keep putting this phone down, unless im mistaken, isnt this the first phone with a chipset over 1.2ghz? seems like a win to me, if u dont like it, move on to ur next device, cuz i like the pre form fact and this thing is sleek/sexy as hell. cant wait to own on sprint
  14.    #34  
    Again, specs aren't the point of this thread. The point is that the look and name produced an immediate visceral reaction which is the quite opposite of what HP would desire for a flagship smartphone. The crappy release schedule is just bitter icing on that dry cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    1.4ghz chipset, 480x800 display, 5mp autofocus cam with hd video and 1.3mp front facing camera... seems like a win to me, i dont kno y people keep putting this phone down, unless im mistaken, isnt this the first phone with a chipset over 1.2ghz? seems like a win to me, if u dont like it, move on to ur next device, cuz i like the pre form fact and this thing is sleek/sexy as hell. cant wait to own on sprint
    that's because it is a win for sure

the specs are wicked awesome, and the sad thing is no one here has even touched or seen it in person so there's no way to judge, just because it's the same form factor

we complained the pre was too small of a screen = we got a larger, competitive screen
    we complained the pre was plastic, and wanted glass = we got a gorilla glass screen
    we complained the slider and hardware were weak = they've made massive changes, heck even the slider doesn't curve now it's straight much like the venue pro or torch
    we complained the keyboard was too small (well i never did, i enjoy the keyboard) = we got a much more spaced out larger keyboard
    we complained the power button sucked, ableit it does = they've redesigned the entire thing and the power button looks really good

we complained palm had to listen to our complaints about hardware - well they did, and made those necessary changes, but now some are complaining because they want a slab like the iphone or some android phones.. well, go get an android then. because even if hp did release a slab, some would still find a way to complain about webOS and it still wouldn't be good enough

the only valid complaint is yes the release schedule.. but that's out of my control and there's no sense of letting that control my life. after all, it's just a bloody phone.

there's probably many pieces to the puzzle that we don't know about with respect to release dates...

and it sucks, don't get me wrong, but it's an advantage in a sense.. they probably want to beef up the apps for release and definitely iron out any software bugs that could arise on the new webos 3.0.. patience is a virtue, if it's not good enough then be gone and move on with your life
  16.    #36  
    Well, "love it or leave it" is a great principle to build a nascent platform and a community around. It's done wonders for WebOS thus far.
    Agree with the above, except I cannot assume it will "do very well" since it's pretty far off from arriving and has no price or carrier.

But that's exactly my point. Given the opportunity for a fresh start and a new lease on life, why, oh, why would you evoke the past failed device so explicitly when that is the natural reaction to it?
    Mikah;

Just a hunch.. but, I believe that the TouchPad was intended to be the primary focus yesterday, and not the smartphones... but, they needed to prove to the media that they are working on smartphones, so, hence the Veer and the Pre 3... however, I believe that if you read the BBC arcticle on Apotheker's interview, he clearly stated "The product line will get a new name and come under the HP brand, Mr. Apotheker says; the days of Palm and Palm Pre seem to be numbered. "

This leads me to speculate, hypothecize, or prognosticate (you can pick!) that they are working on a much different form factor for a smartphone and IT will have its own special, dedicated debut, sometime this year.

I believe they feel that the vertical slider form factor has a definite and large market, if the device is solid and fast... hence, the Pre 3.

IMO...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I want this on Sprint too. I had the original Pre and then switched to the EVO but I miss the WebOs and the multitasking ( true multitasking guys) that the pre offers. I also miss the camera so much. Now that the Pre3 has the front facing vga camera and the 5mp auto focus on the back with a 1.4ghz of pure love im in love once again lol. Also the beta of the Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is a selling point for me! I think the most important thing would be the battery performance for me. the battery on the EVO sucks worse than the one I had in my original Pre.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    that's because it is a win for sure

the specs are wicked awesome, and the sad thing is no one here has even touched or seen it in person so there's no way to judge, just because it's the same form factor

we complained the pre was too small of a screen = we got a larger, competitive screen
    we complained the pre was plastic, and wanted glass = we got a gorilla glass screen
    we complained the slider and hardware were weak = they've made massive changes, heck even the slider doesn't curve now it's straight much like the venue pro or torch
    we complained the keyboard was too small (well i never did, i enjoy the keyboard) = we got a much more spaced out larger keyboard
    we complained the power button sucked, ableit it does = they've redesigned the entire thing and the power button looks really good

we complained palm had to listen to our complaints about hardware - well they did, and made those necessary changes, but now some are complaining because they want a slab like the iphone or some android phones.. well, go get an android then. because even if hp did release a slab, some would still find a way to complain about webOS and it still wouldn't be good enough

the only valid complaint is yes the release schedule.. but that's out of my control and there's no sense of letting that control my life. after all, it's just a bloody phone.

there's probably many pieces to the puzzle that we don't know about with respect to release dates...

and it sucks, don't get me wrong, but it's an advantage in a sense.. they probably want to beef up the apps for release and definitely iron out any software bugs that could arise on the new webos 3.0.. patience is a virtue, if it's not good enough then be gone and move on with your life

very well said... haters will hate
    Again, specs aren't the point of this thread. The point is that the look and name produced an immediate visceral reaction which is the quite opposite of what HP would desire for a flagship smartphone. The crappy release schedule is just bitter icing on that dry cake.
    It does look exactly the same from a distance on video but I think we may be pleasantly surprised by how more refined it is.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast