Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys

Are there specs on the battery life, we talked about everything here but the battery. Hope it is better than the original.
    Slighty bigger battery, slight bigger screen, a whole lot faster processor...doesnt bode well for battery life.

Seidio will have to bail us out again.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    1230 mah will get sucked dry quicker than you can shake a stick at. Can't believe they made the same mistake as with the original Pre.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I used the evo shift for a couple of weeks and the battery life on that was great. I could easily get a day out of the phone, which had a 1500mAh battery and a slower but similar processor as the pre3 is going to have.

I honestly think the battery will be pretty good. The processor is a lot more energy efficient and webos 2.+ will better manage the system and apps.

It couldn't hurt to throw a 1500mAh battery in though.
    If the slider doesn't work or the battery is marginal = SUPER FAIL!!!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ...and are the batteries in these new devices replaceable? Or ar we in appleland?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    pre3 replacable veer not
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    ...and are the batteries in these new devices replaceable? Or ar we in appleland?
    Veer - no, Pre3 - the spec page doesn't say it isn't replaceable, so I'm guessing yes.
    This is a concern of mine, as well, but, since the OS is still of "Beta" quality (see the other threads for disucssions on that), it likely isnt even close to being optimized for power yet, and, likely is the reason why there is no discussion on the Pre3's battery life.

The TouchPad is WebOS 3 - and that seems to have been ready to rock n roll, and they did provide an 8 hour battery life for it. I think they spent much more time on WebOS 3's development and are now back tracking into WebOS 2 refinement with the hardware devices.

Make no mistake about this, though, the TouchPad was THE item of the day.. and it was not going to be outshined by any other WebOS product... probably the reason that other WebOS smartphone formfactors (slab and landscape sliders) werent the first out of the gate.

So, Pre 3 and Veer battery life are specs still to be provided.. and, it appears that they have worked hand in hand with Qualcomm to get the best efficiency vs performance with the chips, hardware wise.. so, now its time to optimize the OS.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I wonder if this battery is backward compatible with Pre 2, Pre Plus, Pre Minus?

Having that tinny bit of extra juice will surely be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    1230 mah will get sucked dry quicker than you can shake a stick at. Can't believe they made the same mistake as with the original Pre.
    WebOS 2+ does handle battery consumption better in my experience, so I'm not too worried about the 3.
    Guys there is a hard reality that you all have to come to understand...Battery life S.U.C.K. for all phones. The technology is not quite there yet.

The next break through in technology will be. HE/SHE who invents a great battery....this will be bigger than anything developed recently...it will redefine the mobile technological world we live in....phones, laptops, GPS, etc.....

We are not there yet.
    I still have the original Pre. However, when I started using it, the battery would die at about 3hrs, which was frustrating on the included anemic battery. I'm a heavy data user (email, SMS, FB, & Wifi). So I invested in a 3rd party 2600mah battery (~$65). Now I get about a day and a half of use from a full charge.

I hope I'll be able to use this battery on the Pre3. So I'm hoping that the 3rd party accessory vendors will come up with a solution(s) where I don't have to spend for another battery upgrade again. Assuming the dimensions & layout of the original Pre battery are still used.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The new processors are much more power efficient than then the old ones in the pre/pre2, so battery life should be better. See P4 vs Core from intel
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    LOL, oh come on now. Willamette based Pentium 4 launched in 2000. Conroe based Core2 Duo launched in 2006 and they were separated by 7 generations and 2 socket designs. Expecting that kind of efficiency increase from Gen I to Gen II smartphone processors is a little extreme.
    Willamette 423
    Northwood A 478
    Northwood B 478
    Northwood C 478
    Prescott 478
    Prescott LGA775
    Cedar Mill LGA775
    Conroe LGA775

In terms of power consumption, I'm sure the original Pre 500MHz processor uses less than the Gen II Snapdragon at 1.4GHz. The OS will help, maybe even a lot, but the screen on the Pre 3 is 30% larger than the original Pre. It's not a small amount, people. We're talking 1/3 more real estate. If the Pre 3 has better battery life than the original Pre, I'd think it certainly wouldn't be by much.

That said, I'm happy to spend $50 or $80 and buy a killer battery for the Pre 3 like slidaddy9. It's worth it.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Reducing the die size from 64 to 45 nm isn't a small increase in efficiency...
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    The current pre has a 65nm technology and the pre3 will have a 45nm technology. From what I have seen this alone will make it more efficient and the fact that it will have a 1.4 ghz processor will also help. The problem is currently the pre uses a ton of its processing power to push the os and apps, but the pre3 will do most of the processing in idle mode.

Think about it, just because it clocks at 1.4ghz doesn't mean its going to be hitting that speed to keep up with the average user.
    No offense intended, but I've been following technology for a little while so I might have an idea about die shrinks and how often they're really successful at lowering power consumption when done in concert with dramatically more powerful processors and more power thirsty hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    No offense intended, but I've been following technology for a little while so I might have an idea about die shrinks and how often they're really successful at lowering power consumption when done in concert with dramatically more powerful processors and more power thirsty hardware.
    ... Yet in your post, you made no mention at all of processor scaling. It's lot like that CPU on the 3 is going to be running at 1.4 all day long, as dex4 mentioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original Pre was running at 500MHz all the time, idle or not, as I recall. If the CPU in the '3 spends its idle time down around 300 like the Pre2's does, I'm not worried.

The increased screen acreage, though, is a concern. I'll give you that.
    the new Snapdragons are great with battery efficiency at least on the android side of things.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast