View Poll Results: If HP was offering a Pre3 unlocked with webOS 2.0.1 right now, would you buy it?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if the price is over $200

83 56.08%
  • Yes, but only if the price is under $200

41 27.70%
  • No

24 16.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I am having a hard time understanding something here. HP had quite a few display devices at the event today. They had Veers, Pre3s, and TouchPads. Every device I saw looked very functional. I would pay right now to get one of those display devices!

I can understand there being a delay for the TouchPad until the summer, considering it will be running webOS 3.0, a big jump surely, which might not have all of its features finished. In fact I'm watching the video of the event now and the one guy said the email app on the TouchPad needed some more optimization.

However, why can't they release the Pre3 and Veer right now with webOS 2.0.1? It would be very reasonable to release these phones now, and then get extra features through updates later. Kinda like how they released 2.0.1 for the Pre2 without exhibition mode, promising to deliver it later through updates.

HP, please release the Pre3 unlocked with 2.0.1 and I will go buy it RIGHT NOW. In fact, so many people are upset at today's suggested timeline, Pre3s would sell out as soon as they become available.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 02/09/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    While I support Hp I think it is so ridiculous that they are releasing this so long after the announcment.
    Hp is already way behind every one and by the time they release this pre 3 is going to be a forgotten item.
    What the hell happened to Apotheker's statement that "we've learned from our mistakes" and that "we will not announce any device that isn't ready to ship within weeks"????

Weeks? Summer?? Just what the hell did the groundhog see last week?
    I would be down for Pre3 now and more webOS choices this summer aka 4" slab, potrait slider, etc. Thats what should have happened today. And Pre2 is dev only phone for $199 to registered devs, no public launch at all just can the damn thing into developer land. That would send a message about meaning business on getting the app count up.
    its so they can develope more aps.......not trying to defend hp as i am disappointed withe the summer release.

i wonder what all the people who have defended hp/palm in every way have to say now....oh wait till the mobile convention? enough is enough.

still interested in the pre3 tho if i dont get the motorola atrix. i would seriously consider buying if it comes out in weeks but not months

you need to add an option for non contract price
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 02/09/2011 at 09:05 PM.
    I believe developing and manufacturing a smartphone is not as easy as making a shirt. They must have taken all those into consideration. But like everyone said, it will be better if is avaiable sooner.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    you need to add an option for non contract price
    All options in the poll are non-contract, that is implied by being "unlocked".
    oh ok. didnt think that a smartphone could cost under 200 bucks. i would pay for the pre3 if it was under 400 bucks. would have to think about it more if it was above 500 tho.
    That is the most unrealistic poll I've seen. Ever.

Anyhow, to answer your question. It's all Qualcomm's fault.

Qualcomm, like intel, have to extensively test their chipsets. The AOQ 8060 1.2 2xCore is in its early testing phase...

Along with WebOS 3.0, and 2.2...
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSPARTAN003 View Post
    That is the most unrealistic poll I've seen. Ever.

Anyhow, to answer your question. It's all Qualcomm's fault.

Qualcomm, like intel, have to extensively test their chipsets. The AOQ 8060 1.2 2xCore is in its early testing phase...

Along with WebOS 3.0, and 2.2...
    You don't look at many polls in this forum then.

Interesting point on the Qualcomm chips, but I think you misunderstood my first post. HP/Palm didn't wait for exhibition mode to release the Pre2. I don't think its out of the question for them to release the Pre3 without video calling (and other new features) and just deliver that later with updates. The hardware is ready from what I saw at the event. Those display devices surely had processors that worked just fine.

Before I got my first Pre on 6/6/2009, I never could imagine how much I would look forward to software updates.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    oh ok. didnt think that a smartphone could cost under 200 bucks. i would pay for the pre3 if it was under 400 bucks. would have to think about it more if it was above 500 tho.
    Yeah I don't think a smartphone can be that cheap either, but I just threw that number out there hypothetically, to see if there are people that would only buy it if was in that price range. It would be a great gesture if HP subsidized unlocked devices for developers (or everyone).

I am afraid that I am going to end up buying it asap even if its unlocked, unsubsidized, un-discounted, and just way too much. That Pre3 is just too awesome (except for lack of LTE).
    Yes if it's on Sprint I would pay up to $300 after contract
    it takes a long time to get from handshake to carrier availability. It's mostly carrier requirements. Once palm announces a carrier, the stop watch passes to the carrier. Right now they must be trying to finalize carrier deals and identify a window on their calendar that they have resources to get it launched.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think there are a range of reasons:

1) The software isn't ready

2) The hardware hasn't finished testing (????)

3) Because of 1 and 2, there are no carrier deals

4) They need time to try and get the app market upto scratch.

As for "Release it now, update late" - Where's the sizzle? Regardless of if the features actually work properly, The Pre is coming out against a range of dual-core and even 3D (yes yes I know, it's not for me either but it will get a lot of press) phones - "Great features coming soon!" is not a marketing campaign.

I know a lot of people think "coming summer" is too late but it's better than a half-*** release now. The thing is, the announcement here starts the clock ticking for people like us - but it's a false expectation of how and when things should happen. Now it could be argued that HP should have kept their gobs shut until they had something solid but the problem with that is that it's hard to try and get developers onboard and apps developed.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/14/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolin View Post
    I would be down for Pre3 now and more webOS choices this summer aka 4" slab, potrait slider, etc....
    I've nearly lost hope that HPalm will actually branch out to new form factors. Let's be honest, the portrait slider has been Palm's stock in trade since the Treo days. Their opinion is that it's worked for them, there's no need to change.

It seems that in their opinion, the world of landscape sliders and 4"+ slab phones is a fad, and we'll all come flocking back to crowded portrait sliders if they just keep shoving the same style in our faces.

It's up to us to tell them otherwise. Go to Palm's website, call their corporate number, write their head office in Sunnyvale. Let's make sure they hear from our own mouths what we as consumers want.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think there are a range of reasons:

1) The software isn't ready

2) The hardware hasn't finished testing (????)

3) Because of 1 and 2, there are no carrier deals

4) They need time to try and get the app market upto scratch.
    Judging from the videos, I think #1 is the most likely thing (though I agree with all 4 points). From what I've seen, the software is just not ready. Too much lag. Too many features not ready to be demoed.
    the phone hardware is ready. The phone software is almost ready. What is farthest from ready is the touchpad hardware and software.
    yeah I do believe the addition on Qualcams new chipset is the reason for the delay. I think since it did they decided to optimize a finished version of Webos 2.X for the phones, and the tablet. So I too of course would like them sooner then later, and am sure if they can get it out sooner they def will, but if getting it sooner is to sacrifice performance then no I'll wait.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the phone hardware is ready. The phone software is almost ready. What is farthest from ready is the touchpad hardware and software.

If that's true, why are we looking until "coming Summer" for the Pre 3? - I mean at MWC, people are announcing phones that will be out in March and April. A lot of the differentiations of WebOS will be gone soon (For example, WP7 is shortly getting a multi-tasking update that seems to be a straight ripoff of WebOS cards, NFC is baked into Android going forward).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast