Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 182
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    agreed!
  2. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Top end processor? Yes.
    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes.
    Front facing camera for video conferencing? Yes.
    Larger screen? Yes
    Better resolution? Yes
    Better Keyboard? Yes
    Better camera? Yes
    Better Build Quality? Yes
    WebOS on it instead of Android or iOS? Yes
    Touchstone ability? Yes
    Non-Boxy "looks like everything else" design? Yes

    The only things that bug me? Lack of 4g, which is worthless to me at the moment as I'm just outside the DC covered area. Lack of HDMI out, which would be something I'd use once in a blue moon. And lack of an SD Card, which isn't a huge deal to me nor something I was expecting since I actually have the crazy sense to look at the history of Palm and make logical realistic guesses.

    The Touchstone functionality alone will be more useful for me than those three things combined for the next little bit. And unquestionably WebOS as an advantage hugely trumps them. Everything else about the phone is on par with either high end, or top of the line, phones that are about to be put out.

    The only true "Fail" is if they literally take 6 months to launch this thing like they did with the Pre 1. Launch this around Memorial Day at the latest and you may be alright. March or April would of course be MUCH better. If this waits till July or August though, then there's going to be large problems for HP.

    But Spec and design wise? Hardware + Software is better than anything on the market or that's been announced in my opinion. The problem with the Pre was horrible, horrible hardware that was allowed to age almost 2 full years for Sprint users. By all accounts every problem from the Pre has been fixed all while that great OS that STILL made the Pre worth while has been improved as well.

    Give me an Android Phone with HDMI out, 1080p video, 3D display, 4" display, SuperAMOLED screen, dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, 2 GB RAM, 32GB memory and mini-SD card.....and I'd take the Pre 3 in a heart beat over it. Why? Because it'd still have high end, if not top end, specs and a OS that trounced the other.

    The advantage android and iOS have in my eyes isn't their specs, and definitely not their OS, but their app base. If HP is smart and capitalizes on their computer market to have every HP computer dual booting WebOS as an instant on option then the developers and apps will come as the OS becomes far more wide spread.

    HP needs well made competitive hardware with their great OS and to then leverage that OS to make it appeal for Developers. The issue with the Pre was they didn't make it well made and they let the device age far far to long for original adopters.
    Wow, post of the week here. Just perfectly put. Bravo.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  3. #163  
    I think some of you are forgeting how the iPhone operates every year the iPhone is behind when it comes to specs but...its still the top selling phone of all time and continues to sell in large volumes. Not becuse of the specs but because of the hardware how well it's put together and the software is solid like a rock on steroids. Also apps you guys keep saying they arnt important I'm sorry they are and the app quality and quanity is crap and this is coming from a die hard, kill for palm, loyal. Don't get me wrong there are a few apps that are nice (phynx, carbon BETA, Bad kitty) but most of them reuse the tired standard palm buttons for everything, ugly icons etc.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Top end processor? Yes.
    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes.
    Front facing camera for video conferencing? Yes.
    Larger screen? Yes
    Better resolution? Yes
    Better Keyboard? Yes
    Better camera? Yes
    Better Build Quality? Yes
    WebOS on it instead of Android or iOS? Yes
    Touchstone ability? Yes
    Non-Boxy "looks like everything else" design? Yes

    The only things that bug me? Lack of 4g, which is worthless to me at the moment as I'm just outside the DC covered area. Lack of HDMI out, which would be something I'd use once in a blue moon. And lack of an SD Card, which isn't a huge deal to me nor something I was expecting since I actually have the crazy sense to look at the history of Palm and make logical realistic guesses.

    The Touchstone functionality alone will be more useful for me than those three things combined for the next little bit. And unquestionably WebOS as an advantage hugely trumps them. Everything else about the phone is on par with either high end, or top of the line, phones that are about to be put out.

    The only true "Fail" is if they literally take 6 months to launch this thing like they did with the Pre 1. Launch this around Memorial Day at the latest and you may be alright. March or April would of course be MUCH better. If this waits till July or August though, then there's going to be large problems for HP.

    But Spec and design wise? Hardware + Software is better than anything on the market or that's been announced in my opinion. The problem with the Pre was horrible, horrible hardware that was allowed to age almost 2 full years for Sprint users. By all accounts every problem from the Pre has been fixed all while that great OS that STILL made the Pre worth while has been improved as well.

    Give me an Android Phone with HDMI out, 1080p video, 3D display, 4" display, SuperAMOLED screen, dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, 2 GB RAM, 32GB memory and mini-SD card.....and I'd take the Pre 3 in a heart beat over it. Why? Because it'd still have high end, if not top end, specs and a OS that trounced the other.

    The advantage android and iOS have in my eyes isn't their specs, and definitely not their OS, but their app base. If HP is smart and capitalizes on their computer market to have every HP computer dual booting WebOS as an instant on option then the developers and apps will come as the OS becomes far more wide spread.

    HP needs well made competitive hardware with their great OS and to then leverage that OS to make it appeal for Developers. The issue with the Pre was they didn't make it well made and they let the device age far far to long for original adopters.
    VERY well written, and perfectly argued. I couldn't agree with what you said more. You need to start writing for PreCentral
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

    Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    VERY well written, and perfectly argued. I couldn't agree with what you said more. You need to start writing for PreCentral
    Hmm, it would seem you are not qualified to rate a review. Problem with the comments, they mostly relate to what he/she wants/needs. Not helpful to everyone. I would prefer he/she didn't write for P|C, I like unbiased reviews.

    The only things that bug me? Lack of 4g, which is worthless to me at the moment as I'm just outside the DC covered area. Lack of HDMI out, which would be something I'd use once in a blue moon. And lack of an SD Card, which isn't a huge deal to me nor something I was expecting since I actually have the crazy sense to look at the history of Palm and make logical realistic guesses.

    Personal preference, what about the public at large? Is HP making a phone just for this person?

    The Touchstone functionality alone will be more useful for me than those three things combined for the next little bit. And unquestionably WebOS as an advantage hugely trumps them. Everything else about the phone is on par with either high end, or top of the line, phones that are about to be put out.

    Touchstone, again a self indulged comment. WebOS as an advantage, prove it. What is deemed an advantage is subjective, based on user wants and needs. It may just be that Webos is the best OS, but who cares if people can get what they want from Android or IOS (Not a question).

    The only true "Fail" is if they literally take 6 months to launch this thing like they did with the Pre 1. Launch this around Memorial Day at the latest and you may be alright. March or April would of course be MUCH better. If this waits till July or August though, then there's going to be large problems for HP.

    If the OS/devices are all he/she thinks they are, should be no problem at all.

    But Spec and design wise? Hardware + Software is better than anything on the market or that's been announced in my opinion. The problem with the Pre was horrible, horrible hardware that was allowed to age almost 2 full years for Sprint users. By all accounts every problem from the Pre has been fixed all while that great OS that STILL made the Pre worth while has been improved as well.

    Well he/she did say it their opinion. Problem with opinions is they don't always translate into dollars.

    Give me an Android Phone with HDMI out, 1080p video, 3D display, 4" display, SuperAMOLED screen, dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, 2 GB RAM, 32GB memory and mini-SD card.....and I'd take the Pre 3 in a heart beat over it. Why? Because it'd still have high end, if not top end, specs and a OS that trounced the other.

    If a person is willing to settle for less, than not much can be said.

    The advantage android and iOS have in my eyes isn't their specs, and definitely not their OS, but their app base. If HP is smart and capitalizes on their computer market to have every HP computer dual booting WebOS as an instant on option then the developers and apps will come as the OS becomes far more wide spread.

    Again another opinion, not fact. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone OS, it works. Millions and millions of people don't seem to have a problem using it. Again it may not be the poster's cup of tea, but for millions of people it is. Dual boot? Who the heck wants to boot let alone dual boot? Sounds more like a wet dream. It would be much better to embed webos into an existing OS so people don't have to think about booting at all. Developers will come on board because of dual boot? Supposition based on wants, not reality.


    HP needs well made competitive hardware with their great OS and to then leverage that OS to make it appeal for Developers. The issue with the Pre was they didn't make it well made and they let the device age far far to long for original adopters.

    This part has been re-hashed enough here, it's an obvious statement. Nothing new or creative here.

    The comments are self centered, catering to the wants of one poster without a single reference to the public at large, which is who HP needs to buy these device.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/10/2011 at 08:28 PM.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by whyme953 View Post
    I believe that had we got a release date within the next month (or even the next two months) instead of some vague "summer" date most of us here would be jumping for joy instead of complaining.
    It's hard to give a date when there's no set date when the software will be ready. That's the hurdle.
  7. #167  
    i would of been happy with it if it was loaded with webos 1.4.5
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    I think some of you are forgeting how the iPhone operates every year the iPhone is behind when it comes to specs but...its still the top selling phone of all time and continues to sell in large volumes. Not becuse of the specs but because of the hardware how well it's put together and the software is solid like a rock on steroids. Also apps you guys keep saying they arnt important I'm sorry they are and the app quality and quanity is crap and this is coming from a die hard, kill for palm, loyal. Don't get me wrong there are a few apps that are nice (phynx, carbon BETA, Bad kitty) but most of them reuse the tired standard palm buttons for everything, ugly icons etc.
    You cannot compare a subculture that Apple has created...long before iPhone...to the situation that HP is in.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Risky yes. Whether it's innovative remains to be seen.

    First question to answer. Is there anything on the Touchpad I can do I can't on iPad?
    Second question to answer. Will anyone care?
    Like Mike said the tap-to-share feature and being able to answer calls and reply to texts is a very cool, popular feature. I went to Macrumors today and on their forum virtually everyone there wanted that feature.


    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    I think some of you are forgeting how the iPhone operates every year the iPhone is behind when it comes to specs but...its still the top selling phone of all time and continues to sell in large volumes. Not becuse of the specs but because of the hardware how well it's put together and the software is solid like a rock on steroids. Also apps you guys keep saying they arnt important I'm sorry they are and the app quality and quanity is crap and this is coming from a die hard, kill for palm, loyal. Don't get me wrong there are a few apps that are nice (phynx, carbon BETA, Bad kitty) but most of them reuse the tired standard palm buttons for everything, ugly icons etc.
    The iPhone 4 was not behind in specs. I really can't remember a time when the iPhone was, actually.
  10. #170  
    actully you can compare because it's not just the sub culture buying it. It's reg everyday people who on microsoft everything except for there phone

    and I'm not just talikng about the iphone 4 I'm talking about all iphone and it is behind just not with screen res
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You cannot compare a subculture that Apple has created...long before iPhone...to the situation that HP is in.
    1: How many people does it take to make a subculture?
    2: Is there proof that only said subculture are buying iphones? Or could it be non-subculture people are buying iphones?
    3: Whether you want to do a comparison of HP to Apple's subculture or not, it is something HP will have to reckon with, it just can't be simply dismissed because it's Apple.

    Check HP's trash bin, you'll probably find a Powerpoint slide about Apple's "subculture".
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    1: How many people does it take to make a subculture
    2: Is there proof that only said subculture are buying iphones? Or could it be non-subculture people are buying iphones?
    3: Whether you want to do a comparison of HP to Apple's subculture or not, it is something HP will have to reckon with, it just can't be simply dismissed because it's Apple.
    well said you put what I couldn't explain into words
  13. #173  
    I really wish I had got this posted on the front page..
    But as in the thread post, his only grip was no 4G. I have a Evo 4G and Wimax is good but it aint great. It is definitely first gen stuff and burns the battery faster than a gasoline in a Hummer. It good but personally, in my opinion, it may have well led to it's demise. I don't know about LTE though and am moving to Verizon soon so I will see!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    1: How many people does it take to make a subculture?
    2: Is there proof that only said subculture are buying iphones? Or could it be non-subculture people are buying iphones?
    3: Whether you want to do a comparison of HP to Apple's subculture or not, it is something HP will have to reckon with, it just can't be simply dismissed because it's Apple.

    Check HP's trash bin, you'll probably find a Powerpoint slide about Apple's "subculture".
    1. More than a few hundred, that's for sure.

    2. Nope, not anymore. But that is how it started.
    And it is now a status symbol

    3. Who is dismissing it?

    Look Palm tried the Apple walk...we know where that went.

    HP cannot compare itself to, nor can it compete with the same ideas as, Apple.

    They will fall on their ***.

    They have to find another way.
    Not just copy others' in hope of winning.


    Also, let's keep in mind that Android is starting to steal away iPhone users.
    So even the Apple way is adapting and changing.
  15. #175  
    1. It dosent matter how it started because when the iphone FIRST came out it wasn't just there sub-culture buying it

    2. Were dismissing it by saying you can't compare
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    1. It dosent matter how it started because when the iphone FIRST came out it wasn't just there sub-culture buying it

    2. Were dismissing it by saying you can't compare
    The sub-culture existed before the iphone.
    Long before.
  17. #177  
    and like I said I didn't deny it didn't I simply stated that it did not matter as much as you think because apple has had failed products not everything they slap there name on sells.

    you can't really bring android into this sgrument because android is not a phone it's a OS made by mutiple manufracters like HTC, moto, lg just to name a few, there's dozens of android phones out there that a smartphones and feature phones which is why it's gaining. Look at apple how many phones did they release, 5 and there still on top.
  18. #178  
    "I hate trolls" -Willow
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Hi Evil. Did you mean "Long term approaches *rarely* work in the mobile technology?" Or were you just being sarcastic since you cited Nokia?
    Positively DRIPPING with sarcasm. Apple really pretty much created the mobile device market. They were 2 years ahead of the industry when it came to smartphones... actually. Having a long term approach when you're 2 years ahead in mobile works a lot better than trying to start from scratch.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    and like I said I didn't deny it didn't I simply stated that it did not matter as much as you think because apple has had failed products not everything they slap there name on sells.

    you can't really bring android into this sgrument because android is not a phone it's a OS made by mutiple manufracters like HTC, moto, lg just to name a few, there's dozens of android phones out there that a smartphones and feature phones which is why it's gaining. Look at apple how many phones did they release, 5 and there still on top.
    Wait a second there professor, don't confuse UI with OS. Other manufacturers are creating custom UIs for Android, but they're not really creating OS's. Also, Android is an inferior OS to webOS, but it gained market share through superior devices. It wasn't the fact there were 1,000 devices available on Android, it was that there were 2 or 3 really good devices on every network. I'm quite positive, before the app dominance, had you shown a Motorola Droid running webOS against a Droid running Android, people would have chosen webOS 5:1.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions