Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 182
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    The Echo coverage was pointing out that it was a joke. I don't see any negative WebOS coverage along those lines. Big difference.
    You better start looking around.

    People are disappointed, but not surprised.
  2. #62  
    Thread cleaned again. This thread does not belong to any one member. Everyone is welcome to post as long as it is on topic (talk about the technology, not other members) and conforms to forum guidelines.
  3. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Great, no extinction. Where are the profits? Where is the return on the investment in purchasing Palm and in developing all this stuff?

    That's how HP will be judged by the non-geek world.
    Again, fair point. I was going to say it's insane to expect all those things at this point, but in the non-geek world, I know that is what's expected.

    Just keep in mind, Palm came back from the dead, several times. Just because the name's changed doesn't mean the DNA isn't there.

    Return on investment takes a long time. Xbox, iTunes, Android - there are many examples.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  4. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You better start looking around.

    People are disappointed, but not surprised.
    I've been looking around all day at the tech blogs I frequent. Everyone seems pretty impressed. Unless you mean comments sections, but that's hardly indicative. 'Haters gonna hate'. The most vocal negative comments will, of course, get the most attention (sound familiar?).

    I haven't come across any reviews, coverage or impressions by blogs/news sites that is prediminantly negative. And I have been spending a lot of my day looking.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  5. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You better start looking around.

    People are disappointed, but not surprised.
    You can't honestly convince anyone here that the HP announcements are being met in the same way as the Sprint Kyocera ones.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Again, fair point. I was going to say it's insane to expect all those things at this point, but in the non-geek world, I know that is what's expected.

    Just keep in mind, Palm came back from the dead, several times. Just because the name's changed doesn't mean the DNA isn't there.

    Return on investment takes a long time. Xbox, iTunes, Android - there are many examples.
    I've said elsewhere here that I didn't expect miracles overnight. I also said that a business-centric strategy is HPs best shot. I know that strategy takes time to build installed base after corporate credibility. Again, I think that's HPs best shot.

    As a consumer, I'm not willing to wait for the next resurrection of WebOS or Palm DNA. We could say that Apple learned from the Newton and resurrected itself. Again, not waiting that long.

    I hope they get it, but it's ridiculous to ask the fickle public to hang around and watch. I'll check in when my iPhone 5 contract expires.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I've been looking around all day at the tech blogs I frequent. Everyone seems pretty impressed. Unless you mean comments sections, but that's hardly indicative. 'Haters gonna hate'. The most vocal negative comments will, of course, get the most attention (sound familiar?).

    I haven't come across any reviews, coverage or impressions by blogs/news sites that is prediminantly negative. And I have been spending a lot of my day looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    You can't honestly convince anyone here that the HP announcements are being met in the same way as the Sprint Kyocera ones.
    When it comes to the Thinkpad, generally positive reviews.
    When it comes to these phones...meh...

    Let's keep also in mind the reviews of the Original Pre as well.
    Generally positive.

    Amounted to nothing.

    The vast majority of people are not impressed.
    You'll see that when the Pre 3 and Veer are released.
  8. #68  
    I'm interested to see the reviews and editorials in the next few days. To me, this is a horrible blunder by HP not because of the devices, but because of the outrageous timeline and no carrier commitment. I would gladly have bought a tablet and Pre 3 today, March 1, even April 1, but not knowingly when or even if I can ever buy them on Sprint, I'm not waiting any longer.
  9. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #69  
    Top end processor? Yes. For last year
    I'm sorry, please point out the 1.4 Ghz snapdragon's from last year.

    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes. For last year
    Really? How about Motorola's new flagship Droid on Android announced at CES? 512 MB. The Sony Xperia ARC and PLAY just launched and set to launch? 512 MB. LG Optimus 2X? 512 MB. Nexus S? 512 MB.

    The only phones so far launched with more than 512 that I can think of off the top of my head is the Atrix at 1gig and the Thunder at 768. I'm sure you were railing Sony, LG, Motorola, Samsung, and Android in particular for using "Last years" technology.

    Larger screen? Yes larger, not large enough
    The largest selling phone on the market says differently. You say its not large enough. Wonderful, that's your opinion, not fact. Others feel 3.6" is large enough while also being comfortably pocketable.

    Your Opinion is its not large enough. Here's some facts for you though. Fact is, its about 30% more viewing area than the original Pre. Fact is, the highest selling individual phone on the market has a similar sized display.

    Better resolution? Yes better but maybe not enough
    There's the trade off here. You go for a much higher resolution and lose the ease of development between the various smartphone form factors out and to come, the tablet form factor, and the PC form factor. They all are sharing a scalable resolution. I think its a reasonable argument to state that the potential bonus that will be to developers and thus the development that will occur is more important then a bit more pixels.

    Also, regardless of whether its enough or not, fact is it is an improvement over the previous Pre's.

    Better Keyboard? Yes unknown until its in consumers hands
    Every person viewing it so far has commented on it being a better keyboard and its unquestionable that its a larger one.

    Better camera? Yes based on what?
    Autofocus has been added, stabilization for video has been added, HD video support has been added.

    Better Build Quality? Yes there is NO information to prove that.
    Again, almost unanimously the hands on's have been positive about the build quality and the feel of it. Very few of the "toy" and "feel like I could break it" type comments that were around during the original Pre's introduction. While we don't have definitive information yet, the initial view seems to suggest the build quality is better.
  10. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You better start looking around.

    People are disappointed, but not surprised.
    Since you seemed to have "looked around" mind pointing out what tech sources are negative and disappointed about this?
  11. #71  
    My only concerns about the announcements today are: 1) will the Pre3 come to Sprint, 2) and if it does, I was hoping for an April/May release date. Being anxious but not impatient, I don't see the big deal if it is in the June/July time frame. I was also initially disappointed about the 2.0 update being unavailable to my Pre, but if my plans were to get the new phone anyway, it doesn't really matter. I guess some of us don't feel the need to have everything we want right now.... So, staying on topic, I am defending HP and the Pre 3!!! I also recall HP saying they will have as many as 6 (I think) different forms out this year. So those of you that are slabophiliacs, "if you are patient, I'd bet a new Pre 3 you'll get your device of choice...
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    dude..... its irrelevant.
    What do you think performs better?
    The Pentium 4 at 3.06ghz or the i5 cores at 2.53ghz?
    That is comparing two different kind of processor's. From my understanding, the i5 is a new architecture then what the Prentium brand was, correct? He was comparing the same processor from the same company. For instance, the 800 mghz Snapdragon in the EVO Shift vs the Snapdragon in Pre 3. Are you telling me you think the same processor is faster and better with less mghz? If so then my friend, your incorrect.

    Now if you were comparing a 1.0 Tigra 2 fron NVIDA and a 1.4 Snapdragon, of course the Tigra wins hands down. And those phones are coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You are laying out exactly why WebOS has been met with such anger from Apple fans and others.

    They keep pushing how great they are and then they produce ****.
    They didn't produce whatever you beeped out. They produced amazing hardware. Lets take a step back and see what exactly we saw.

    A dual core Snapdragon processor tablet. A tablet that is very impressive, has amazing feature set. I like the fact the texts can be sent to the tablet. Can your iPad do that (or your EVO do that with a tablet?). Yes, Apple will be getting MANY of these features in iPad 2. The important thing to note is I don't think the iPad 2 WILL SURPASS HP spec wise nor feature wise. I could be proven wrong, but the TouchPad is a powerful, feature rich device. If you don't like it then I don't know what you want.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    No, that's not true.
    New versions of Android already take into account dual-core processing [honeycomb per example]

    The idea of NOT going with a dual-core because there will eventually be quad-cores is silly.
    Honeycomb is for tablets, as far as we know. Last time I checked WebOS 3.0 is for tablets, and is powered by dual core processors.

    We don't know much about Android 2.4 but I suppose we will soon, and I do expect further dual core support. I am a fan of dual core processors -- yes, I sure am. But a single core Snapdragon processor clocking in at over 1 GHZ is enough power for the Pre 3. You like to say it is for last year, when the Nexus S from Samsung has a single core processor, the HTC Shift has a single core processor. There are a lot of phones this year with single cores. But the processor in the Pre 3 IS a powerful processor and will be able to compete with many different phones this year.

    Although, I still think the iPhone 5 will blow it out of the water processor wise, but we will have to wait and see what the iPhone 5 has.
  13. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    As a consumer, I'm not willing to wait for the next resurrection of WebOS or Palm DNA. We could say that Apple learned from the Newton and resurrected itself. Again, not waiting that long.

    I hope they get it, but it's ridiculous to ask the fickle public to hang around and watch. I'll check in when my iPhone 5 contract expires.
    Ah, I wasn't sure if you were talking from a consumer or business viewpoint. I can definitely see what you mean. I'm beginning to wonder, myself... I've been hanging out 6 months for a tablet.

    Unfortunately, if everyone checks in after their iphone 5, they may be no webos left because noone bought it. Not that I'd blame anyone. It'd just... be a shame.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  14. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    When it comes to the Thinkpad, generally positive reviews.
    When it comes to these phones...meh...
    I'm not sure I get you. You mean lenovo?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    it's ridiculous to ask the fickle public to hang around and watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by toby2010 View Post
    I'm not waiting any longer.
    i hear you guys, and i agree. I've had my Sprint Pre since the beginning and i cant seem to justify moving on to anything else, simply because I'm not interested in Android or IOS. maybe windows phone 7 but still cant leave webOS, i like it too much.

    I'm happy with what i have for now, but this summer its upgrade time.

    and hey, whos to say HP doesn't have plans for a slate phone in the works somewhere? you never know.

    with phones and technology, move to what fits you best, its simple. but webOS fits me better than any other OS out there. even with crappy hardware.
  16. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Since you seemed to have "looked around" mind pointing out what tech sources are negative and disappointed about this?
    (I'd like to see this too, but I was frankly too scared to ask for fear of being 'reported'.)

    Any out there anyone's found? It's just as useful to see negative comments from blogs etc (not blog commenters), as this helps us see the public perception.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  17. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    and hey, whos to say HP doesn't have plans for a slate phone in the works somewhere? you never know.
    actually, I've been thinking this all day. Haven't they said they'd be announcing more things in March? They seem to have been hinting they'll be releasing quite a few products. Also weren't there rumoured specs involving a slab style phone?

    I live in hope.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm sorry, please point out the 1.4 Ghz snapdragon's from last year.



    Really? How about Motorola's new flagship Droid on Android announced at CES? 512 MB. The Sony Xperia ARC and PLAY just launched and set to launch? 512 MB. LG Optimus 2X? 512 MB. Nexus S? 512 MB.

    The only phones so far launched with more than 512 that I can think of off the top of my head is the Atrix at 1gig and the Thunder at 768. I'm sure you were railing Sony, LG, Motorola, Samsung, and Android in particular for using "Last years" technology.



    The largest selling phone on the market says differently. You say its not large enough. Wonderful, that's your opinion, not fact. Others feel 3.6" is large enough while also being comfortably pocketable.

    Your Opinion is its not large enough. Here's some facts for you though. Fact is, its about 30% more viewing area than the original Pre. Fact is, the highest selling individual phone on the market has a similar sized display.



    There's the trade off here. You go for a much higher resolution and lose the ease of development between the various smartphone form factors out and to come, the tablet form factor, and the PC form factor. They all are sharing a scalable resolution. I think its a reasonable argument to state that the potential bonus that will be to developers and thus the development that will occur is more important then a bit more pixels.

    Also, regardless of whether its enough or not, fact is it is an improvement over the previous Pre's.



    Every person viewing it so far has commented on it being a better keyboard and its unquestionable that its a larger one.



    Autofocus has been added, stabilization for video has been added, HD video support has been added.



    Again, almost unanimously the hands on's have been positive about the build quality and the feel of it. Very few of the "toy" and "feel like I could break it" type comments that were around during the original Pre's introduction. While we don't have definitive information yet, the initial view seems to suggest the build quality is better.
    Thank you for comparing the RAM and Processor with last year...just like I was saying.
    You will notice that all the new top of the line phones coming out are 768 - 1GB range in ram.
    They are also tegra 2.

    As has been pointed out, its suspected that the iphone will be getting a bigger screen.
    People are moving to 4" + screens.
    Those are the big sellers.
    Again you compare to last years technology.

    Your resolution comment again compares to last years phones.

    As far as your comment about the build quality.
    How many of those reviewers said the original Pre was built poorly?

    None that I remember.

    I remember people praising WebOS and the Pre.
    Many reviewers called it a possible "iphone killer".

    So I don't care what those reviewers say.
    That is in the eye of the consumer when they get ahold of them.
  19. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    (I'd like to see this too, but I was frankly too scared to ask for fear of being 'reported'.)

    Any out there anyone's found? It's just as useful to see negative comments from blogs etc (not blog commenters), as this helps us see the public perception.
    I'm not railing on the guy. He seems to suggest he's seen negative reports. I haven't so obviously I'm looking in the wrong places. I just want to see what he claims is there
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    actually, I've been thinking this all day. Haven't they said they'd be announcing more things in March? They seem to have been hinting they'll be releasing quite a few products. Also weren't there rumoured specs involving a slab style phone?

    I live in hope.
    absolutely, i remember this too. it just got drowned out by the uproar. lol.

    i'm happy with what today.

    Cheers to having a glass half full! lol
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions