Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I think one of the things someone here pointed out was, HP played it safe and fixed all the complaints.

One of the things that's made Apple successful is Get it Right First. That looks like what HP is doing. Get it all GOOD first, then make it GREAT.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    The spec sheet is fine except the 4G.
    Maybe the current 4G chipsets draw lots of power and those in charge at HP decided that it would be better to wait until that improves instead having people complain about battery life?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If HP began shipping out every computer they sell with WebOS set to dual boot as an instant on OS, thus putting WebOS into the hands of a huge segment of the population, do you think that would encourage developer interest? Especially if developing for the desktop version or the smartphone version or the tablet version would work across all three platforms thus giving you three different sectors as your user base?
    No.

Because I have no reason to boot up in WebOS mode on my desktop or laptop. Having it there, doesn't make it useful. If I do my work in MS Office and related apps, why would I boot to WebOS. Most webOS apps are trying to create functionality already available on Win or Mac OSs.

What on earth would you use a dual boot laptop for?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Maybe the current 4G chipsets draw lots of power and those in charge at HP decided that it would be better to wait until that improves instead having people complain about battery life?
    I agree this is possible, even likely. Until Apple moves, they'll have cover. When Apple moves, it'll be too late.

Android is already there, but I'm sure it impacts battery life.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The problem is this is evolutionary.
    Android was evolutionary. The original Pre was revolutionary. in a way, the iphone was kinda both. that 'r' on the front doesn't necessarily get you success.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Top end processor? Yes.
    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes.
    Front facing camera for video conferencing? Yes.
    Larger screen? Yes
    Better resolution? Yes
    Better Keyboard? Yes
    Better camera? Yes
    Better Build Quality? Yes
    WebOS on it instead of Android or iOS? Yes
    Touchstone ability? Yes
    Non-Boxy "looks like everything else" design? Yes

The only things that bug me? Lack of 4g, which is worthless to me at the moment as I'm just outside the DC covered area. Lack of HDMI out, which would be something I'd use once in a blue moon. And lack of an SD Card, which isn't a huge deal to me nor something I was expecting since I actually have the crazy sense to look at the history of Palm and make logical realistic guesses.

The Touchstone functionality alone will be more useful for me than those three things combined for the next little bit. And unquestionably WebOS as an advantage hugely trumps them. Everything else about the phone is on par with either high end, or top of the line, phones that are about to be put out.

The only true "Fail" is if they literally take 6 months to launch this thing like they did with the Pre 1. Launch this around Memorial Day at the latest and you may be alright. March or April would of course be MUCH better. If this waits till July or August though, then there's going to be large problems for HP.

But Spec and design wise? Hardware + Software is better than anything on the market or that's been announced in my opinion. The problem with the Pre was horrible, horrible hardware that was allowed to age almost 2 full years for Sprint users. By all accounts every problem from the Pre has been fixed all while that great OS that STILL made the Pre worth while has been improved as well.

Give me an Android Phone with HDMI out, 1080p video, 3D display, 4" display, SuperAMOLED screen, dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, 2 GB RAM, 32GB memory and mini-SD card.....and I'd take the Pre 3 in a heart beat over it. Why? Because it'd still have high end, if not top end, specs and a OS that trounced the other.

The advantage android and iOS have in my eyes isn't their specs, and definitely not their OS, but their app base. If HP is smart and capitalizes on their computer market to have every HP computer dual booting WebOS as an instant on option then the developers and apps will come as the OS becomes far more wide spread.

HP needs well made competitive hardware with their great OS and to then leverage that OS to make it appeal for Developers. The issue with the Pre was they didn't make it well made and they let the device age far far to long for original adopters.
    summed up my thoughts perfectly!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Android was evolutionary. The original Pre was revolutionary. in a way, the iphone was kinda both. that 'r' on the front doesn't necessarily get you success.
    True. I'll put it this way:

"When in you're in last place, running at the same speed as the competition, ensures you'll lose"

(Assuming they have the same endurance/bankroll)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    What I'm saying is this.
    Yet again, HP is behind.
    A dual-core phone will blow this out of the water.
    And those devices are VERY LIKELY to be out BEFORE this Pre 3.

My other point was people see "1.4ghz" and say "WHOAAAAAA that's gonna rule!" when in actuality it means nothing.
    I read a review of the Atrix with the 1.0 Ghz Dual Core and they said it wasn't significantly faster than the single core CPU's in normal day to day use. If you look at it from a development aspect, by the time people start making stuff optimized for dual core, phones will have moved on to quad core. 1.4 Ghz on a now hardware accelerated WebOS will fly extremely fast. My 1Ghz overclocked single core Pre minus is still fast even without webOS 2.1. What impressed me most about this even though wasn't the Pre 3, but the way webOS was optimized for the tablet. Having owned an iPad and later selling it, if Apple doesn't get flash working on their next iPad, I will definitely be getting the Palm pad. The Palm Pad as me excited, the delivery date ticked me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I read a review of the Atrix with the 1.2 Ghz Dual Core and they said it wasn't significantly faster than the single core CPU's. If you look at it from a development aspect, by the time people start making stuff optimized for dual core, phones will have moved on to quad core. 1.4 Ghz on a now hardware accelerated WebOS will fly extremely fast. My 1Ghz overclocked single core Pre minus is still fast even without webOS 2.1. What impressed me most about this even though wasn't the Pre 3, but the way webOS was optimized for the tablet. Having owned an iPad and later selling it, if Apple doesn't get flash working on their next iPad, I will definitely be getting the Palm pad. The Palm Pad as me excited, the delivery date ticked me off.
    No, that's not true.
    New versions of Android already take into account dual-core processing [honeycomb per example]

The idea of NOT going with a dual-core because there will eventually be quad-cores is silly.
    Then please move on... if things are so bad, why try to convince others to move on or suggest to guys (and girls) "...it's time to move on."

I am thrilled with the events of today... but my Sprint Palm Pre is still a great phone and meets my needs. Once newer models are available, I'll consider them then. BTW, I've had a Pre since June 5th 2009... so I guess I should be one of the most impatient and frustrated - something must be wrong with me because I still haven't been convinced to leave Enjoy your Evo and the Android forums... it looks like a great phone, BUT it is not for everyone!!!

I'm sorry but how much longer are you guys going to excuse and defend this?

You guys have been doing that since the release of the original Pre.

I know you love WebOS, I did, but it's time to move on guys.
    Seriously.

At least from a phone aspect.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    True. I'll put it this way:

"When in you're in last place, running at the same speed as the competition, ensures you'll lose"

(Assuming they have the same endurance/bankroll)
    Fair analogy. I think we need to keep in mind, however, that HP isn't trying to 'kill' the iPhone. It's trying to bring back an ecosystem that was on the brink of extinction.

Mission accomplished.

Later, they can revolutionise.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm fine with the specs of the Pre 3. But without a more solid date (and a sooner date), and a carrier announcement, it's pretty close to meaningless for me.

They really dropped the ball by not being able to deliver these devices within a month of this event with pricing and carrier announcements.
    BINGO. We were told to expect a launch "weeks" after announcement, and now the best we are still getting is "coming months."

I like the Pre3, it feels like the proper progression... if we were talking in 2010 and HP was already the #3 phone maker. I'm disappointed that it wasn't more of a wonderall device to attract more people. Every chance I get I push webOS to my friends and family, and not a single person I know is interested.

If I'm going to continue to invest my money into the webOS ecosystem, I need some assurance that its going to be around for a long time, and that means HP needs a lot of customers.
    Fair analogy. I think we need to keep in mind, however, that HP isn't trying to 'kill' the iPhone. It's trying to bring back an ecosystem that was on the brink of extinction.

Mission accomplished.

How do you consider this a "mission accomplished"?
    This is "mission accomplished" as much as the "mission accomplished" that Bush declared over Iraq.
    Not at all.

As far as revolutionizing later that is NOT how the tech world works.
    That will land you in the poor house real quick.
    And you're here... why?
    yes, play nice.

or your posts will be cleansed as were mine. lol.

not everyone is gonna like what they saw today, like Mattykinsx, but if you like it then don't worry about the others. let them be upset.

All i know is this summer I'm getting an HP Pre 3 and will be as happy as can be, oh! and a Touchpad to go with it!

Though if the pad is over 600 dollars I'm gonna have a hard time justifying a purchase.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    How do you consider this a "mission accomplished"?
    Tech news sites all over the world have been talking about this more than they've been talking about most other things, all day.

The WebOS brand is beginning to be put back into the public consciousness. If that's not what the objective was, I'm not sure what is. For everyone to throw away their iPhones? To proclaim Rubinstein president? We need to keep in mind what the realistic outcomes are. I believe those outcomes have been accomplished.

Tech news sites all over the world have been talking about this more than they've been talking about most other things, all day.
    Yup... they were...just like the last two days with the Sprint announcement of the Echo.

And that thing is a joke.
    Your point?
  17.    #57  

Mission accomplished.

HP is (or should be) trying to maximize shareholder value. Doing so involves making consistent profit. Unlike Google, HP won't be allowed (by investors) to birdwalk down black holes for long.

Great, no extinction. Where are the profits? Where is the return on the investment in purchasing Palm and in developing all this stuff?

Also there is the 'opportunity cost.' The opportunity to get Android FREE and do the same thing they're doing now.

That's how HP will be judged by the non-geek world.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Yup... they were...just like the last two days with the Sprint announcement of the Echo.

And that thing is a joke.
    Your point?

The Echo coverage was pointing out that it was a joke. I don't see any negative WebOS coverage along those lines. Big difference.

HP is (or should be) trying to maximize shareholder value. Doing so involves making consistent profit. Unlike Google, HP won't be allowed (by investors) to birdwalk down black holes for long.

Great, no extinction. Where are the profits? Where is the return on the investment in purchasing Palm and in developing all this stuff?

Also there is the 'opportunity cost.' The opportunity to get Android FREE and do the same thing they're doing now.

agreed, but i think we should at least see how things play out once HP even starts. lol.

Its day one of their known existence in the webOS realm and everyone seems to KNOW that HP is dead.

I have faith that this is step 1 in many.

Just seems to me that HP is better off being the OEM. They looked out of place on that stage today. The whole presentation was sort of a mess.

They probably should have poured that money into making that windows tablet work. Probably would sell more too..
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast