Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I bet homebrew/WebOS Internals will find a way to get WebOS 2.1 on the Pre and Pre+.

Please let the Pre3 be available on Sprint and be able to rome on the Verizon 3G network for the next 2 years.

The slider mechanical design has obviosly been changed from available pictures, and it loks to be a very rigid design. Voice quality appears to be a design consideration with dual microphone noise cancellation technology. VOIP appears to be coming in the near future. Camera autofocus feature permits good macro pictures of things like barcode tags. It is a pockrtable phone, with an adquate size screen for reading.

I think it will be a reliable, well engineered phone with hardware capabilities to support quality voice command, fast mutitasking, and decent multimedia experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    So was the south. Didn't help them win the war. Revolutionary doesn't always equate to wanted. WebOs may be in fact technically better, but who cares if no one wants it. Cards? Stacks? Those are only something a Palm fan would care deeply about. However, it may just be that the combo of Pre 3 plus tablet will give the one two punch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I did in August to the Evo.
    This event was my last hope for WebOS.
    Failed.

Dude...clock speed is irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Then why do they make faster and faster chips?

And perhaps at a pure clock for clock it is less important, but it is a gen 2 snapdragon with the newest adreno 205 graphics processor. I can tell you right now the same processor core clocked at 800mhz outpaces the gen 1 snapdragon with the adreno 200 clocked at 1ghz used in the HTC evo..... so if its that fast at 800, what do you think it will do at 1.4? and with webos?

I think irrelevant is the wrong word.... may not be the all around deciding factor, but definitely deserves consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by npappas View Post
    Irrelevant? Then why do they make faster and faster chips?

And perhaps at a pure clock for clock it is less important, but it is a gen 2 snapdragon with the newest adreno 205 graphics processor. I can tell you right now the same processor core clocked at 800mhz outpaces the gen 1 snapdragon with the adreno 200 clocked at 1ghz used in the HTC evo..... so if its that fast at 800, what do you think it will do at 1.4? and with webos?

I think irrelevant is the wrong word.... may not be the all around deciding factor, but definitely deserves consideration.
    dude..... its irrelevant.

What do you think performs better?
    The Pentium 4 at 3.06ghz or the i5 cores at 2.53ghz?

The fastest phone out right now has a 800mhz processor.
    [g2, evo shift, etc]
    They outperform all the 1ghz processors.

CLOCK SPEED DOES NOT MEAN BETTER PERFORMANCE.
    dude..... its irrelevant.

What do you think performs better?
    The Pentium 4 at 3.06ghz or the i5 cores at 2.53ghz?

The fastest phone out right now has a 800mhz processor.
    [g2, evo shift, etc]
    They outperform all the 1ghz processors.

CLOCK SPEED DOES NOT MEAN BETTER PERFORMANCE.

Uh... /i think you just repeated what I said.... but clock spead does matter when you are doing apples to apples....

The pre 3 will be using the same chipset as the shift, but at 1.4...

So.... in comparison, to everything, it will be faster than every current phone available.

.if they just said what processor but didnt mention the clock speed, how would you know how fast it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by npappas View Post
    Uh... /i think you just repeated what I said.... but clock spead does matter when you are doing apples to apples....

The pre 3 will be using the same chipset as the shift, but at 1.4...

So.... in comparison, to everything, it will be faster than every current phone available.

.if they just said what processor but didnt mention the clock speed, how would you know how fast it is?
    What I'm saying is this.
    Yet again, HP is behind.
    A dual-core phone will blow this out of the water.
    And those devices are VERY LIKELY to be out BEFORE this Pre 3.

My other point was people see "1.4ghz" and say "WHOAAAAAA that's gonna rule!" when in actuality it means nothing.
    I'm sorry but how much longer are you guys going to excuse and defend this?

You guys have been doing that since the release of the original Pre.

I know you love WebOS, I did, but it's time to move on guys.
    Seriously.

At least from a phone aspect.
    excuses? i am very happy with the Pre 3 and the Touchpad.

Release date? not so much. but hey, maybe i just see the glass half full...
    What I'm saying is this.
    Yet again, HP is behind.
    A dual-core phone will blow this out of the water.
    And those devices are VERY LIKELY to be out BEFORE this Pre 3.

My other point was people see "1.4ghz" and say "WHOAAAAAA that's gonna rule!" when in actuality it means nothing.
    Your absolutes tend to discredit you.

First, WebOS is naturally smother on similar hardware than other OS's.

Secondly just like when dual core processors came out, nothing is going to be optimized for them for awhile. So while there may be gains in some areas, they wont be global.

Third, 1.4ghz gen 2 snapdragon = faster than 800 mhz gen 2 snapdragon. So while it might not mean as much as people think, it does mean something.

And last, if having a single core gives me an extra 30 min of battery over shoehorning in an extra core, I am glad to make the trade off.

Speaking in absolutes leaves room for arguments to be torn apart. next time try "clock speed means next to nothing overall when comparing speed" Saying just "nothing" is ignorant because there is a difference, whether or not it is a significant one.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2pt0 View Post
    I don;t think anyone is upset about the device (except a few) I think most people are upset the lack of knowledge shared and the lies that have become more possible. If 2.x doesn't make it to old devices, their promise of "coming months" was a lie. And if Sprint is still without a device some people will be stuck in a contract. So add the 2 and you get a palm ******/girl stuck on a unsupported device in a contract. Maybe can upgrade but most just want webOS. There lies the anger which is really just frustration
    Not to mention HP's new CEO bragging about how HP wouldn't announce products that weren't being released immediately. That's the part that really gets me. Dude straight up lied.
    I still don't think the industry is ready for the Daul-core movement. We havent optimized single cores to their full potential yet. I think the Pre 2 is a powerful enough device, and then the Pre 3? That thing is beast. The ETA for release? That sucks. HP just shot themselves in the foot. Software will only take fans so far.
    Static people don't know what they are missing by not thinking beyond as HP stated they would do but epically failed!!! The phone is boring and still the same. Its nothing that will wow the average consumer that is constantly being pulled in by Apple and Androids. This is a fail of a product the specs are 2 years old!!! This is laughable!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    specs are 2 years old!!!
    really? hahaha

lets take a quick glance at phones from 2 years ago...

Cell Phones of 2009 - First Quarter (January to March) - Mobiledia
    HP CEO Leo Apotheker told to employees to get rid of their iphone and ipads, .” Adding, “There would be real, near-term introductions, as the hardware is ready.”
    I just lost all respect for Leo. What BS. You tell an audience that you are finally coming out with an iphone killer and that the hardware is ready.

Then you find out days later that the iphone killer you expected is nothing more than yet another upgrade of the pre? And the only other form factor (pixi) is being replaced by a mini-pre? Hasn't it already been established that a pre is not, and never will be, an iphone killer? Moreover, the final insult is that "ready" really means "sometime next summer"? WTH...

That said, I really like the pre and will stay with it, but jeez, save the hyperbole for when you REALLY come out with a revolutionary handset.
    Last edited by Johncase3; 02/09/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    I just lost all respect for Leo. What BS. You tell an audience that you are finally coming out with an iphone killer and that the hardware is ready.

Then you find out days later that the iphone killer you expected is nothing more than yet another upgrade of the pre? And the only other form factor (pixi) is being replaced by a mini-pre? Hasn't it already been established that a pre is not, and never will be, an iphone killer? Moreover, the final insult is that "ready" really means "sometime next summer? ***...

That said, I really like the pre and will stay with it, but jeez, save the hyperbole for when you REALLY come out with a revolutionary handset.
    You are laying out exactly why WebOS has been met with such anger from Apple fans and others.

They keep pushing how great they are and then they produce ****.
    Thread cleaned. Keep it civil and on topic, guys. Thanks.
    Here's why people are having this response: we are in the middle of the specs war. Tegra, TI OMAP, Orion, Snapdragon for the processors. RAM is starting to heat up. Even the very branding on screens is starting to matter: Super AMOLED Plus^4, AMOLED, OLED, LCD, IPS LCD, etc.

The only company that has been able to not play this game and win is Apple. That's because they have a fantastic UX; their hardware is good enough to power apps, and their UX speaks for the hardware. Palm must achieve this level of performance if they keep playing the smartphone game the way they currently are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Static people don't know what they are missing by not thinking beyond as HP stated they would do but epically failed!!! The phone is boring and still the same. Its nothing that will wow the average consumer that is constantly being pulled in by Apple and Androids. This is a fail of a product the specs are 2 years old!!! This is laughable!!
    I disagree, part of the reason people don't know about webos is features like screen size and a front facing camera. The pre 3 is going to have these, and I imagine it will do everything that an iphone or droid can do with it's single processor rather than a dual core. I'm pretty stoked. Just wish I didn't have to wait til summer, not like it matters though, cause I'm not eligible for an upgrade til then anyway.
  17.    #37  
    I'm not a processor geek. I think multi-core is here now and it's here to stay. Economies of scale in manufacturing guarantee that. GPUs coming everywhere.

Every product is a balance. Omitting 4G and not addressing battery life might be the major fails. Otherwise, the phone is solid. I just don't think there is anything that would make a developer develop for WebOS until after iPad, Android and Windows 7 apps are finished and stable.

That is death for webOS. Not sure they couldda done anything to change this though.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Top end processor? Yes.
    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes.
    Front facing camera for video conferencing? Yes.
    Larger screen? Yes
    Better resolution? Yes
    Better Keyboard? Yes
    Better camera? Yes
    Better Build Quality? Yes
    WebOS on it instead of Android or iOS? Yes
    Touchstone ability? Yes
    Non-Boxy "looks like everything else" design? Yes

The only things that bug me? Lack of 4g, which is worthless to me at the moment as I'm just outside the DC covered area. Lack of HDMI out, which would be something I'd use once in a blue moon. And lack of an SD Card, which isn't a huge deal to me nor something I was expecting since I actually have the crazy sense to look at the history of Palm and make logical realistic guesses.

The Touchstone functionality alone will be more useful for me than those three things combined for the next little bit. And unquestionably WebOS as an advantage hugely trumps them. Everything else about the phone is on par with either high end, or top of the line, phones that are about to be put out.

The only true "Fail" is if they literally take 6 months to launch this thing like they did with the Pre 1. Launch this around Memorial Day at the latest and you may be alright. March or April would of course be MUCH better. If this waits till July or August though, then there's going to be large problems for HP.

But Spec and design wise? Hardware + Software is better than anything on the market or that's been announced in my opinion. The problem with the Pre was horrible, horrible hardware that was allowed to age almost 2 full years for Sprint users. By all accounts every problem from the Pre has been fixed all while that great OS that STILL made the Pre worth while has been improved as well.

Give me an Android Phone with HDMI out, 1080p video, 3D display, 4" display, SuperAMOLED screen, dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, 2 GB RAM, 32GB memory and mini-SD card.....and I'd take the Pre 3 in a heart beat over it. Why? Because it'd still have high end, if not top end, specs and a OS that trounced the other.

The advantage android and iOS have in my eyes isn't their specs, and definitely not their OS, but their app base. If HP is smart and capitalizes on their computer market to have every HP computer dual booting WebOS as an instant on option then the developers and apps will come as the OS becomes far more wide spread.

HP needs well made competitive hardware with their great OS and to then leverage that OS to make it appeal for Developers. The issue with the Pre was they didn't make it well made and they let the device age far far to long for original adopters.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Every product is a balance. Omitting 4G and not addressing battery life might be the major fails. Otherwise, the phone is solid. I just don't think there is anything that would make a developer develop for WebOS until after iPad, Android and Windows 7 apps are finished and stable.

That is death for webOS. Not sure they couldda done anything to change this though.
    If HP began shipping out every computer they sell with WebOS set to dual boot as an instant on OS, thus putting WebOS into the hands of a huge segment of the population, do you think that would encourage developer interest? Especially if developing for the desktop version or the smartphone version or the tablet version would work across all three platforms thus giving you three different sectors as your user base?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Top end processor? Yes. For last year
    High-end RAM that properly runs the OS? Yes. For last year
    Front facing camera for video conferencing? Yes. Standard
    Larger screen? Yes larger, not large enough
    Better resolution? Yes better but maybe not enough
    Better Keyboard? Yes unknown until its in consumers hands
    Better camera? Yes based on what?
    Better Build Quality? Yes there is NO information to prove that. this is something that is UNKNOWN until its in consumers hands
    WebOS on it instead of Android or iOS? Yes could be one of the last phones to say that
    Touchstone ability? Yes if they didn't you could put a for sale sign on webos right now
    Non-Boxy "looks like everything else" design? Yes being different for the sake of being different is how businesses lose
    Here's my comments to your post, in blue.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast