Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There used to be this prevailing attitude around here of "if webOS doesn't have then I don't need it!"

Good to see this continues under HP's ownership.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom View Post
    I guess less people have embraced the cloud than I thought.
    A bunch of people are shielded, work in low coverage areas, or have other reasons not to use their phone like you and it's all because they "haven't embraced the cloud".

I swear, it's like talking to a wall.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Well then the cloud works for you. Goody. Your environment, travel methods are unique to you. You have to factors in your favor, carrier bandwith and ISP bandwidth (you mentioned your stream from your machine). But you can see where other people may not have such ideal conditions. I use 4 gigs a month, how much do you use? If people prefer local storage, why do you care?
    I'm a solution guy. When people complain about a problem, I propose solutions. That's the extent of my caring.

I don't know how much bandwidth I use because having unlimited with sprint has that advantage.
    HP will bring Pre 4 next year with 32 & 64 gb storage, you cant have it all in one year need to leave something for next year to be fair.
    Some carriers eliminated unlimited data around these parts. No streaming for those people, and wifi may not be readily available. Storage matters for those who have lots of media.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    HP will bring Pre 4 next year with 32 & 64 gb storage, you cant have it all in one year need to leave something for next year to be fair.
    I'm sorry but if you think that adding storage year over year is all they have to do to make this work you're dead wrong.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    A bunch of people are shielded, work in low coverage areas, or have other reasons not to use their phone like you and it's all because they "haven't embraced the cloud".

I swear, it's like talking to a wall.
    That's a little mean spirited. The point of the thread was to ask why people had such a problem with it.

There used to be this prevailing attitude around here of "if webOS doesn't have then I don't need it!"

Good to see this continues under HP's ownership.
    Go out and try to buy a 32gb micro sd card. I would rather that cost not be added to my hardware. I think there is a lot of entitlement when it comes to specs. There is a reason why not many phones have 32gbs of space.
    So, from the cloud I'm supposed to have free streaming for all of my 100GB of music? Tell me where that is, I'd love to sign up.

Or you expect me to use my own bandwidth to stream it from a PC, that'd always have to be on, always connected to the internet, and would also be against my ISP's terms of service? (Not just mine, many have clauses about needing business class internet to host anything through them).

Not only that, not a single one of the Pre's streaming music apps allows offline caching. If Slacker had that feature, I'd be much more inclined to go without as much locally stored songs. Considering I'm on the subway every day and out of service for a good 20 minutes each direction, only streaming doesn't work.

Oh, and keep in mind the growing size of apps some of us have. I'm up to 5GB just in apps at the moment, which of course means less storage for anything else.

Now, as I mentioned at the beginning of my post, I have 100GB of music, and of course don't expect to fit ALL of it on almost any device. But seriously? No option for even 32GB? It's pretty ridiculous.

And I say this as someone who otherwise is very impressed with the Pre3, and will probably still buy one if it comes to Sprint.
    Go out and try to buy a 32gb micro sd card. I would rather that cost not be added to my hardware. I think there is a lot of entitlement when it comes to specs. There is a reason why not many phones have 32gbs of space.
    No offense, but this response is just silly. They already said they'd have an 8GB and a 16GB variant. Nobody is saying to get rid of those two, but we want higher capacity versions available.
    What does this even mean?

Phones that ship with 32GB of flash aren't exorbitantly priced. And the ones that don't provide optional solutions to increase storage (well, the ones that aren't made by HP, that is).
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    That's a little mean spirited. The point of the thread was to ask why people had such a problem with it.
    Mean spirited? How about not trying to make it sound like it's our fault for not "embracing the cloud".

If you are going to ask why people have such a problem with it, how about listening to their answers and trying to understand them rather then telling them they are doing it wrong.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Mean spirited? How about not trying to make it sound like it's our fault for not "embracing the cloud".

If you are going to ask why people have such a problem with it, how about listening to their answers and trying to understand them rather then telling them they are doing it wrong.
    Excuse me for offering solutions that I have been using. I'm sorry that they don't work for you, but saying it's like talking to a wall is implying one side of the conversation is made of brick and mortar and I take offense to that.

And yes, you guys are correct. Streaming and cloud storage isn't for everyone, which you guys have told me now, numerous times. I just personally have never run into storage space problems and couldn't understand the issue until I asked.

Enjoy the rest of your evening folks.
    Last edited by Bodgingbrom; 02/09/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    I'm about ready to go back to carrying a PDA and a regular cell phone - the PDA offers abilities to increase storage space with media cards, obtain web access via wifi; exchange files via bluetooth and I can listen to music or watch videos on a decent sized pocket screen.

Can't say that I'm impressed with the INability to use external medai cards! Alll the Treos and the Centro incorporated external media slots and I've acquired a small library of cards with photos, spreadsheets, documents, power point presentations, and music! I've found that the more onboard storage used the slower the device becomes - so having a lot of storage room open by using media cards keeps the device running fast.

Like many folks here - I don't get good signal - well unless I am at home now nad within range of the Airvana Airave. At work Pandora stutters, Slacker stalls and sky.fm often just stops. Forget trying to get an actual phone call! SO I've got this whizz bang phone that doesn't work well because of signal issues, and because I can't pop in a media card I can't even keep the songs on it I want, nor view or edit documents, nor display pix!

Memory is CHEAP nowadays! - Would it REALLY increase build costs THAT much to offer a device with a base memory of 32GB - or 64 GB AND offer an external media card slot?

*shakes head*
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12