Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Is there any hope for this being able to work on T-Mobile, or even the Veer? I really hope that they do decide to put this on T-Mobiles HSPA+ bands. I miss my WebOs phone so much, but I can't leave T-Mobile. Please someone tell me I can get this and actually use data.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

You can get this and actually use data...

Unfortunately, it would only be EDGE data.
    No, because everyone knows that selling on T-mobile, a smart idea, is beyond HP/alm.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    T-Mobile and Palm have never been good buddies.

And T-Mobile, with the fewest subscribers of all the big 4 (and falling), isn't exactly a coveted gold mine.

Still, it would be nice to see HP try a fresh approach with them and see what happens. 30+ million potential customers is nothing to sneeze at.

Then again, building custom hardware for a carrier with a funky frequency slot is a pain. Lord knows how Sprint is enticing HTC and Samsung to do it.
    This isn't the first time I've seen this, but I've read on different threads here that T-Mobile and Palm are not on good terms. What exactly happened, and why does that rule out HP?
    The Veer could be a T-Mobile device - HSPA+ would be perfect for it.

The Pre 3 would absolutely sell like crazy on T-Mobile, because of the great data plans/with low rates, and thier HSPA+ speeds, which are comparable to other "4G" speeds - is this in the works? I don't know - but, I do know this:

Deutche -Telekom, T-Mobile USA's parent, has put the screws to T-Mobile USA to increase suscribership and profitability - if a Pre 3 and Veer device could add a few million subscribers, or incite a few of their voice only customers to switch to data plans, they'd be all for it.

HP has always been more of "world-wide" device manufacturer - so, I'd say it isnt out of the question, and, it would be incredibly lmiiting to eliminate 40 million potential users.

I'm on T-Mobile with a Pre+, since last May, here in NY - I do travel around the country on business, and have had great reception everywhere, but I do wish I could get 3G when Im on the road, as all I have is EDGE when a wifi connection isnt around.

The Pre 3 would certainly be my next choice for a smartphone either way, but I'd be tickled pink if it were a T-Mobile phone!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The Veer has gone through the FCC: ATT bands. A shame, because it'd do wonders for Tmobile; it really fits with their demographic. The Pre 3 also seems unlikely. I'm also using a Pre+ on tmobile, with prepaid: $4 a month, because I rarely make calls, and I always have wifi.
    On the flip side, I would love for T-Mobile to get this. Just because AT&T's pricing structure sucks donkey balls.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked Pre Plus on T-Mobile, and EDGE isn't that bad. Only use it when I'm on the road; most places I go have wifi.

A webOS phone would be amazing on T-Mobile's 4G network.

Then again, building custom hardware for a carrier with a funky frequency slot is a pain.
    Nokia seemed to have no problems putting a Pentaband radio in the N8, stuffing T-Mobile's 3g frequencies in it.

IIRC, T-Mobile might not be getting as much "subscribers" as other carriers, but I believe that's because they push their no-contract prepaid plans over their subscription plans.

(At least they return a good profit each quarter, Sprint hasn't profited in years IIRC. :P
    Last edited by JLegacy; 02/16/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Nokia seemed to have no problems putting a Pentaband radio in the N8, stuffing T-Mobile's 3g frequencies in it.
    Nokia is huge, and has been buddy-buddy with T-Mo for years. Not quite the same situation!

IIRC, T-Mobile might not be getting as much "subscribers" as other carriers, but I believe that's because they push their no-contract prepaid plans over their subscription plans.
    That may be the focus of their current advertising, but no carrier actually prefers high-churn, low-ARPU prepaid customers over the much more valuable post-paid subscribers. If T-Mo is suffering in post-paid subs (and they are), it's because they're having trouble attracting & retaining, not because it's a "strategy."

(At least they return a good profit each quarter, Sprint hasn't profited in years IIRC. :P
    Well, Sprint has had a few hits to the bottom line (like the $36B write-down on their Nextel acquisition). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $their$ $current$ $losses$ $are$ $mostly$ $paper$, $from$ $depreciation$ $and$ $amortization$ $partly$ $related$ $to$ $maintaining$ $two$ $disparate$ $networks$. $They$ $have$ $a$ $good$ $amount$ $of$ $free$ $cash$, $actually$, $and$ $are$ $adding$ $customers$ -- $more$ $than$ $can$ $be$ $said$ $for$ $poor$ $T$-$Mo$.

BUUUUUUT that's not the point of the thread. I'm very interested in the question Speedskate raised -- what exactly happened between T-Mo and Palm? Why has there been no relationship of substance between them for years?