Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree...I have the simply everything plan on sprint for $99...you can not match that plan anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflung View Post
    with 5 apps partially implemented for the recently abandoned 'upcoming' meego phone from nokia, i'm looking at the pre now myself - and wondering what sort of effort porting from Qt to the pre will take.

i figure i should get a pre and use it daily for a while: try to get into the mindset of the UX. this leads to the question of whether i should buy a recent pre or wait for the pre3. which led to, "wait, what the heck is the pre2 versus pre3? was i under a rock when pre2 came out"? seriously, i had no idea there was a pre2 until just now.

one thing that strikes me as odd is how different the cultures are between palm and nokia with regards to carrier subsidies. almost every post i read regarding the 'pre2 or pre3' question mentions waiting for their upgrade availability or already having it now and needing to buy the pre2 now instead of waiting for the pre3.

this is just crazy to me: it'd be like finding out that everyone who has DSL from Verizon also buys their computers from verizon and waits until their DSL contract is about to expire before buying a new computer (and feels the NEED to buy a new computer at the same time as their contract is expiring, even if the machine they really want is coming 6 months later). sure it's a valid way of doing things, but take that computer analogy and really think about it for a sec: that's a very different culture than you're used to regarding your computer, isn't it? vastly different.

i wonder how this difference affects the mindset of the userbase? from the culture i am now abandoning (well, you could say nokia abandoned me first i suppose) the norm is to buy unlocked mobiles at face value, but then to get significant monthly savings by not being locked into a specific carrier or plan (ie: the network never knows when i tether, charges me the cheapest rates for data, etc).

also, in the nokia world firmware updates come more quickly and readily for unlocked devices than for carrier dependent devices. is that not the case with the pre?

curious,
    -bit
    Qt apps work fine on the pre.. I mean they are in preware I don't know about the porting situation.

Official Unlocked phones from manufacturer always get updates first here as well.

I would tel you that you can get a pre minus cheap enough to play with now that you can still get the pre3 when it comes out.. So go for both .. Ignore the pre2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm not going anywhere.
    When and Where (Country and carrier!) the Pre 3 will come?????

Been waiting for flash, waiting for the Pre+, waiting for webos 2.X, waiting for Pre2.

I have to stay with BELL service because of my work, but getting tired of waiting for Palm/HP & Bell.

I think that Pre 3 will be a really good smartphone with a really good OS but...

For HP/Palm, when does the summer begin?

Thank's

Alain
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Qt apps work fine on the pre.. I mean they are in preware I don't know about the porting situation.

Official Unlocked phones from manufacturer always get updates first here as well.

I would tel you that you can get a pre minus cheap enough to play with now that you can still get the pre3 when it comes out.. So go for both .. Ignore the pre2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Qt on the pre is great news! i hadn't realized this - most likely there will be almost no porting effort at all then. perhaps some small tweaks to my UI layout to best utilize the screen size.

good advice on getting a used pre minus too - i think i'll take that route. nice to hear that things aren't as different here as i had first thought

-bit
    Until the Pre3 announcement I was considering the jump to EVO...which churns my stomach because I have had palm's since the Treo days...well I also had a couple palm piolots too
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I will wait to see what carrier gets it. If not Sprint then I am jumping ship cause Sprint ship is sinking.
    How exactly is Sprint sinking?

Because they're taking their time before investing in manure like they did two years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Can you hook me up with a touchstone, then? I'm gonna stick around....I think.
    Touchstones on eBay ought to plentiful for the next few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflung View Post
    Qt on the pre is great news! i hadn't realized this - most likely there will be almost no porting effort at all then. perhaps some small tweaks to my UI layout to best utilize the screen size.

good advice on getting a used pre minus too - i think i'll take that route. nice to hear that things aren't as different here as i had first thought

-bit
    Qt app platform up and running on Palm Pre | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Qt Apps in Preware, more on the way | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Well since I'm a Premier customer with my one year up in June I was planning on buying the Pre3 if Sprint got it. But seeing that I am now a Premier Silver member, I will have to wait another year to upgrade my phone :/
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    So? Those of you with upgrade options already, will you wait to use it on the Pre3? And those who are upset about a "summer" release time frame, will YOU wait?
    Yup! ...Launch day Pre, so I've been sitting on an upgrade since LAST June.... ;-/

The Pre 3 is just what I wanted, and I my original Pre is fine, so of course I'll wait. June is right around the corner. ;-)

Pre 3 - TouchPad is an awesome combo...
    well august will be 10 years for me so i will be golden if i can wait till june and get the pre3 it will also be the 22nd month since i got my pre- lol sweetness !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I waited for the announcement and when I saw it was 3G I went ahead and got a verIphone so I could have my kindle now instead of waiting. The crying and whining on P|C also got to me after a while, all the anticipation and let downs. webOS interface is nicer in a lot of ways, though. Joined the dark side for now. For what it's worth, I know there is a cost difference in plans to go to iPhone... but the experience from the first few days has been enjoyable - unlike some androids I have had/returned in the past (epic 4G). I like games and iOS has them in spades, for the time being, over everyone else. Just my 2c
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I don't really understand what HP and Sprint are doing, but I'll stay with Sprint based on pricepoint, but big red is making a Killing with the Iphone!
    Having purchased 3 Pres on a family plan in June of 09, I am hoping the Pre3 is coming to Sprint in the summer and the timing will be perfect for us. Will I have a problem waiting? Not at all. 2 of the 3 Pres still work fine (my daughters Pre went for a swim in a gutter full of rain water).
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    My Pre Plus's volume buttons have been broken for about four months (user error haha), and has been dropped so many times that the screen's got a big chip in it, and the side of the top slider has a huge gash in it, I think it's about time for me to purchase a GSM Pre 2, as a replacement.

Then when the Pre 3 or Veer (Or some future device) comes out with 3G bands for my carrier I'll get that.

Not being a slave to a contract FTW
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Absolutely. I have no interest in a 4' slab but the slightly larger screen/keyboard combined with better build quality and the latest and greatest version of WebOS sounds the phone I would have designed for myself if given the chance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123