View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 30.67%
  • No

113 69.33%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read a few posts that the Pre is better off without 4G. For the low end of the market, this might be true. As a competitive move for HP, I think that, combined with a "summer" launch, is SUICIDE.

Imagine "HP ships 3G update to Pre on Sprint while Apple announces launch of world's first 4G iPhone simultaneously on Verizon and AT&T"

Worse, imagine it's 2013 and you're waiting for your phone upgrade from your 3G Pre to a 4G Pre and 5G networks are launching in 6 months.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Lack of 4G is my only complaint about the Pre 3. Really wish it had it because 4G is the future. An iPhone with 4G would definitely strain the Pre 3's launch.

Also, I doubt 5G will launch 6 months after 2013 considering on Verizon's website, they say that they'll have nationwide coverage of 4G by the end of 2013.
    5G is probably a decade from now. I cant figure out why they decided to skip on the 4G with this though.
    Even if you're not a fan of 4G, it costs the same and can be disabled to save battery. So I don't see how lack of 4G could possibly be considered a good thing.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Even if you're not a fan of 4G, it costs the same and can be disabled to save battery. So I don't see how lack of 4G could possibly be considered a good thing.
    Because it's a waste of the developers time and money. To be honest, I'd rather carriers focus on 100% perfect 3G coverage than this gimmick riddled 4G trend.
    I don't want to pay a premium for 4G that's not available for me.
    By the time it comes out, everything will be 4G. You will pay for a "data surcharge" anyway. You just won't be able to use it.
    By the time it comes out, they'll update the spec sheet with radio specs. Then we'll actually know what radio techs they'll be supporting beyond GSM and CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I don't want to pay a premium for 4G that's not available for me.
    Newsflash buddy you're paying that extra $10 bucks as soon as you activate a new phone even if it's 3G-only, so you might as well get 4G out of it!
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    ...you're paying that extra $10 bucks as soon as you activate a new phone even if it's 3G-only, so you might as well get 4G out of it!
    I hadn't heard about this. Are you talking all carriers?

So, I'll pay for the voice plan, $30 for the data plan, and another $10 for 3G? Umm... that doesn't sound right. I've already got 3G and I'm not paying any extra for it.
  11.    #11  
    I know I could use the extra speed on my train commute, but I understand some are without coverage. They should be building these things to satisfy NYC, Silicon Valley and a few other areas. The rest of us should be happy to go on the ride at least for the high end device.
    Newsflash buddy you're paying that extra $10 bucks as soon as you activate a new phone even if it's 3G-only, so you might as well get 4G out of it!
    I'm not on Sprint
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    A few weeks ago I would've said yeah, because I don't have 4G here and don't want to spend $10 a month for nothing... but since they're doing that anyway... -_-
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    A few weeks ago I would've said yeah, because I don't have 4G here and don't want to spend $10 a month for nothing... but since they're doing that anyway... -_-
    Why on earth would HP release a new phone with 3G only?! ***?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Ding. Ding. Ding.
    Pretty sure they said 4g versions would be coming.
    If this launches before summer, then no. It isn't suicide, and 4G of any type isn't quite mature enough yet to be considered 'must have.' If they can beat their shipping dates, then they'll be OK.

HOWEVER, if they launch anything in the summer, when HTC, Samsung, and Motorola are throwing out high end Android phones with 4G of various types left and right, they screwed up.
    4g isnt really 4g
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    4g isnt really 4g
    You're right, but it's still faster than 3g either way.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast