View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 30.67%
  • No

113 69.33%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I concur with Kewl. LTE Advanced or not, I think hp would sell a bunch of Pre3 units if it were on Verizon's LTE network and the equilvalents at Sprint and at&t. If LTE is out of the question, what would really be a great value is if Verizon and other carriers can offer 5GB worth of the 3G Mobile Hotspot like it did with the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus a year ago. Then the Pre3 would sell like hotcakes.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    The Pre1 had horrible battery life, but having 4g and horrible battery life would still be a step up. But I would rather have 3g and good battery life.
    I only care about it because carriers will be charging for it and it is a lol faster being though its not really 4G
    I'm sorry I'm late to the thread. But looking at latest developments, I'd say the Pre 3 really needs to have 4G. Especially if it does end up on Sprint and you have to pay $10 more anyway. Concerning GSM, in the US there's so much fudging on 4G, HSUPA is probably OK and can still get called "4G". Verizon is the one carrier it may or may not be needed for. They're still using 3G for the most part and 4G on only a few phones. Though if they get more(and the same for all carriers), the Pre 3 will look outdated against the trend.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I must be the minority as I don't want the Pre3 to have 4G for a few reasons.

I'm on sero premium so a 4g phone will bump up my bill $10/mo. I know I still get a great deal on sero premium (even with the $10/mo extra for 4g) but if there's a nice 3g phone, I'd rather stick with that.

4g rollout isn't that great and I suspect the 4g landscape may be changing soon with all the wimax and lte news

The battery life is a huge thing too. If 3g data is already bad on battery, I can't imagine what 4g would do. Yes, I know it can be disabled but I don't need 4g
    Now you'd have to pay $10 more for data no matter what smartphone you get. Unless you can keep SERO when you get a new phone, but I remember Sprint told people they had get off SERO to get the original Pre.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    well its not even 4g. So in 5 yrs when we have Lte advanced then we can talk '4g'
    From HP webOS Developer Center:
    Available in EVDO Rev A (first webOS world phone) and HSPA+ versions
    Looking forward to blazing download speeds with a Pre 3 on AT&T.
    Having tasted Verizon's LTE with the Thunderbolt, I will say I would not consider this device without it. I am very interested in this device due to the keyboard for typing on the road. It seems HP has a great business plan IMO for WebOS and I am eager to jump to it for my business device. However, for my needs tethering with LTE is a must at this point and will not go back to 3G. In theory, HSPA should be fine, but I recently left AT&T after 10+ years because of unreliable data speeds.

From what I am reading this will not come to Verizon with LTE, which I believe is a mistake as HP needs to get this out to as many carriers with as many advanced features as possible.

If some people want to play a semantics game with what is and what isn't 4G that is fine. Fact is we want faster download and upload speeds with increased spectral efficiency.
    Since the Pre3 is coming out this year for vzw I would say 3G is fine. Since vzw is aggressively pushing LTE; if the Pre4 was to come to vzw I would say LTE is a must.
    the only reason HP needs to have 4G is to compete marketing wise. it's sad, but the consumers don't see 4G, they assume it's old.

yes, some folks absolutely want/need it.. but to reach the "huge market" HP talks about.. it's for the ppl who know nothing about smartphones, and hear buzzwords all day. The Pre 3 will be a tough sell.

And I'm convinced it won't have it. I personally won't care, but at the same time, I want webOS to actually grow.
    At some point even the biggest webOS ****** in all of us need to realize that HP is seriously behind the curve. Why do we have to be satisfied with 'adequate' 'sufficient' 'nice' or simply 'good enough'? The Pre 3 has all of those platitudes in spades and I am sorry but it's just not good enough. Every time I look up Android has new hardware matched with the most recent versions of it's OS across all carriers. They have 4G products available NOW. There is hardware dropping constantly that is honed to take advantage of emerging technology including 4G.

I think many of us webOS fans are living in a perpetual state of denial due to HP's ridiculous marketing and development timetable. Who wants to wait for an interminable amount of time for a phone that by the time it is available is farther behind the technology curve than where it already was at it's inception?

At the rate HP is going whenever the Pre 3 drops it will be a 'nice' smartphone for the less than 3 percent of the market users of webOS and a joke to the other 97%. webOS deserves better and HP should be embarrassed at it's less than evolutionary efforts to GET NEW PRODUCTS IN PEOPLE'S HANDS!
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    Every time I look up Android has new hardware matched with the most recent versions of it's OS across all carriers.
    broken/hacked on versions of gingerbread do not count. It's still a mess regarding keeping phones up to date, google really needs to work on that.

However, not to say you aren't right regarding HP. Still, I don't have a need for 4G.. it's just not prevalent enough to matter to me... regardless of what phone I buy. I would like to not have it simply to hopefully get a cheaper phoen out of it.

BUT, if HP prices this the same against other 4G/dual core phones, it will be a hard hard sell. I will still likely get it though simply because it's hard for me to buy a 4"+ screen phone. I'm on sprint, so it'll likely be the Nexus S 4G or Pre3. The more I consider the EVO 3D, the more I know I'll hate the large screen form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    At some point even the biggest webOS ****** in all of us need to realize that HP is seriously behind the curve. Why do we have to be satisfied with 'adequate' 'sufficient' 'nice' or simply 'good enough'? The Pre 3 has all of those platitudes in spades and I am sorry but it's just not good enough. Every time I look up Android has new hardware matched with the most recent versions of it's OS across all carriers. They have 4G products available NOW. There is hardware dropping constantly that is honed to take advantage of emerging technology including 4G.

I think many of us webOS fans are living in a perpetual state of denial due to HP's ridiculous marketing and development timetable. Who wants to wait for an interminable amount of time for a phone that by the time it is available is farther behind the technology curve than where it already was at it's inception?

At the rate HP is going whenever the Pre 3 drops it will be a 'nice' smartphone for the less than 3 percent of the market users of webOS and a joke to the other 97%. webOS deserves better and HP should be embarrassed at it's less than evolutionary efforts to GET NEW PRODUCTS IN PEOPLE'S HANDS!
    perfectly said. People are either in denial , or love webos waaaay more than I do.
    If you are using your phone chances are you wont fully take advantage of LTE most of the time unless your 3G network is swamped. Which LTE fixes with more users per node. Why do we NEED LTE so badly? Well especially for us early Touchpad adopters without a carrier Touchpad most of the time I use my PRE plus for Tethering and frankly wont pay for a data plan for my Touchpad when I already must pay for one for my smart phone. Owning a Touchpad you almost never pick up your phone anymore. Hell I use skype for a lot of my calling to save minutes. What some of us want LTE for is we need is a Phone device that can supply fast data to our Touchpad without having to pay for another data plan outside of our phone. Access point mobile phone is a wonderful way of supplying data to a tablet. It is ludicrous if mobile carriers expect us to pay two data plans. I use my access point and still use under 1GB per month so I am no threat and use it all the time.

Here is the issue I see; HP isn't getting the devices out as fast as they would like. Perhaps the technology is suffice for the intended release date. I feel the actually release dates are about 6-8 months off and that is the issue. If your team can't get product out on time then you need to shoot way ahead on hardware. You can OTA the software that is not ready yet but once you have the hardware in place your done. If that hardware is not suffice you might as well just scrap it and start on something to match others in the marketplace. HP is these days are very conservative and cautious and this has worked out well in many areas. However the mobile device market is a rapped fast pace non-forgiving playground evolving by the minute. you have to aim for the stars and stay ahead of the curve. HP has the OS and the money to be great in this market. What they need to do is drop being over cautious about adopting the newest technology like LTE. Verizon will have a good sized LTE foot print by the end of 2011. If you don't have devices out with LTE by the end of Fall no one is going to think of you name in the phone market unless they only talk on it (aka grandma). Only time will tell and HP has some changing and realization to overcome in the mobile market but IT is headed there and mobile computing is the future. Lets see what happens in the next 6 months.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I think the Pre 3 needs to be LTE/HSPA+/whatever is being called 4g now. I just converted to an LTE phone and I would never go back to 3g. The speeds are rediculous and the signal is subject to so much less fluctuation than 3g. 4g makes 3g feel like 1x. IMHO building a phone without 4g capabilities is not the right move.
    As long as the user has the ability to shut the 4G radio off, Im all for it.

LTE and WiMax both suck the battery life down very quickly, and its not a question of "optimization" - those radios are managing - pushing and pulling, huge amounts of data streams at high energy usage levels.

3g was bad enough.. 20% hit on the battery, but, LTE is like a 50 - 60% hit on the battery life, from what I am hearing...

And, its not like smartphones can afford that battery drain... we need them to last a full work day with decent use, at minimum.

So, again, as long as we have Wifi and the ability to shut down the 4G radio to revert back to 3G, I think it would be a good peice of "eye candy" to market it with, but, at the end of the day, most wouldnt use it regularly, due to the battery drain issues.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Verizon is releasing lte in my city in a few months. I'd be crazy to buy a 3g only phone and lock into a 2 year contract. I won't buy a pre3 when my pre+ contract is up in September if it isn't 4g. I bought the pre+ the first day it was avail for vzw so September is when contracts are going to end for early adopters.
    the hp pre 3 has 4g so no matter what its gonna have it there not gonna take it off
    Quote Originally Posted by tjz741 View Post
    the hp pre 3 has 4g so no matter what its gonna have it there not gonna take it off
    No, it doesn't. They won't "take it off" because the Pre3 never had true 4G capability to begin with.
    webOS user since 20090606.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast