View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 30.67%
  • No

113 69.33%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I don't want to pay a premium for 4G that's not available for me.
    well said! same reason I don't fall for the Evo or other 4g phone candy. hopefully HP does this right and releases the Pre3 (3g) and a Pre4 (4g) together to scoop up the market. couple that with the Veer to grab the market of those that love ultra small phones. time will tell...
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    I guess nobody charges extra for 4G anymore.
    Just call me Berd.
    The extra fee was never for 4G. Sprint just didn't explain it well. They believed the EVO and Epic users would use more data -- and generally, thats right. Now they are charging all smart phone users because Sprint users are doing more of what we love -- data. And Sprint still offers Unlimited Data for all PHONES. They make that clear.
    Ok so is this a Sprint only question? I have no problem with that. However, asking a VZW question and getting a Sprint answer isn't getting us anywhere. Sprint isn't new to 4G, other carriers are. Right now with AT&T trying to Gobble T-Mo I am pretty sure we will all pay more for whatever comes. 4G on VeriZon isn't just the issue. It's coverage. I see 1X as much as I see 3G, and I don't like in nowhere. I am PAYING for 3G. I'd be happy getting 80-90% 3G.
    Now the question based on my current experiences would be giving in somewhat but would I fork over more for a 4G plan if it made 3G more available? YES. No brainer. But it souldn't HAVE to come to that.
    If the Pre 3 doesn't have 4G, then I am simply done with palm. The Pre 2, in my eyes, was little more than an overclocked Pre Plus. Worse, the Pre 3 appears to be an overclocked Pre 2 with a bigger screen. If it doesn't at least have some kind of 4G... then I see absolutely no reason why anyone in their right mind wouldn't go for an evo, thunderbolt, or some other top-of-the-line phone that should be out by then.

Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    well said! same reason I don't fall for the Evo or other 4g phone candy. hopefully HP does this right and releases the Pre3 (3g) and a Pre4 (4g) together to scoop up the market. couple that with the Veer to grab the market of those that love ultra small phones. time will tell...
    Most likely, there will never be a Pre 4, especially if the Pre 3 doesn't have 4G. And this is my subjective opinion, but I doubt the Veer will have any success at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Ecstasy View Post
    If the Pre 3 doesn't have 4G, then I am simply done with palm. The Pre 2, in my eyes, was little more than an overclocked Pre Plus. Worse, the Pre 3 appears to be an overclocked Pre 2 with a bigger screen. If it doesn't at least have some kind of 4G... then I see absolutely no reason why anyone in their right mind wouldn't go for an evo, thunderbolt, or some other top-of-the-line phone that should be out by then.

Most likely, there will never be a Pre 4, especially if the Pre 3 doesn't have 4G. And this is my subjective opinion, but I doubt the Veer will have any success at all.
    You do realize that an OC'd CPU is different than a CPU designed for speed and low power, right?

Not to mention auto focus cam.. Higher image resolution.. TTS???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I realize that, theoretically, the Pre 3 could be overclocked past 1.4 Ghz, and that Ghz is not the only measurement of CPU speed. But I'd be making a valid point to say that it's doubtful that the snapdragon processor will be easily overclocked.

The main problem with the Pre 3 is its release date. It's specs are about on par with the Evo and Thunderbolt, but those phones are already out, right now. It's going to be outdated before its released, and it might not even have any kind of 4G? Who is HP trying to fool?
    I realize that, theoretically, the Pre 3 could be overclocked past 1.4 Ghz, and that Ghz is not the only measurement of CPU speed. But I'd be making a valid point to say that it's doubtful that the snapdragon processor will be easily overclocked.

The main problem with the Pre 3 is its release date. It's specs are about on par with the Evo and Thunderbolt, but those phones are already out, right now. It's going to be outdated before its released, and it might not even have any kind of 4G? Who is HP trying to fool?
    Well no phones have 4 G's even the ones that do.. And the fact that one iteration of the Pre3 will have HSPA+ , according to carriers thats 4G..

But beside that.. If we look at what HP has said (I'm not going to debate hp promises) that every 2 months another phone.. Than I dont think you will have to worry.. A faster newer model will be out in short order

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Hiya,

People please remember that Palm was on death's door....HP has repeatedly stated that there will be other phone releases during the year..if you don't like what has already been discussed just wait a few more months....

I am planing one a one year contract, so that I will have a more current phone....I made a mistake with my Centro, which I am still using BTW and my contract was 2 years and 1st ended last OCT.

When the original Treo's were released & there wasn't any subsidy on smartphone prices....I am willing to fork up extra to only have to keep a phone for a year...I know Best Buy has a program where you can keep up with the last tech and you can always resell on eBay...

A note to all of you, who keep saying if it doesn't have this or that I'm thru....

1. It's a smartphone not your left arm...if it isn't to your liking wait a few more weeks or get another phone

however,

2. Please stop ruining it for the rest of us....the reason why Palm took so long the release phone is due to lack of $...I have been a loyal Palm customer for over 8 years..I can wait a few weeks to get a new phone...big deal...

But with all do respect to all of you who aren't happy with what will be offered....

Please keep your negative thought and threats of leaving to yourself, as you are ruining if for the rest of us...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I've been a palm customer for 9 years. I've stuck with my Pre- for a year and a half now, and I always praise it over other smart phones, often getting struck down by friends who hate their Pre/Pixi. I'm as much of a Palm enthusiast as anyone else on these forums.

The topic of this thread is about the Pre 3's possible lack of 4G.
    And while we are talking about months, not weeks, I do agree that a 6+ month long wait is not a huge problem to enthusiasts like us. The huge problem is that without good 4G, even the enthusiasts may start leaving.
    The German industry hasn't started to market LTE as "4G" yet and, knowing the German mentality, they probably never will because LTE isn't *really* 4G.

At this point, LTE isn't even marketed to phones but exclusively as a DSL alternative for people in white spots on the map, and it's fairly expensive too.

So since I'm already getting 7Mb/s down with HSDPA on my Pre Minus, I couldn't care less about LTE in the Pre 3, or any other phone at that.
    I usually disable 3G on my phone, because the small difference in speed most of the time is not worth the battery use.
    2.5G is what I get most of the time, and to browse web pages and fetch mails it's way enough. Even for google maps it's ok.

The only thing I can think of that would make me use 3G is web radios.

And I miss the call+data ability.

But overall, I feel great in 2.5G.
    eh, 4G is a pure American thing anyways right now anyways, I wont care up here north of the border either way.

I dont think its a mistake, 4G isnt impressive enough yet, its just branding for the most part and once people start actually using it instead of just having the 5 people that are currently the speeds will drop and be even less impressive.
    hspa+ would be enough for me for now. It's all i would expect out of Apple this summer. But then again, i'm on AT&T.

Sprint is wimax. We've no clue if HP is even interested in sprint or will release one there. No clue if Sprint is interested either. HP has more to worry about than focusing on a wimax Pre IMO.

It might make more sense to wait til end of year or CES 2012 for Verizon LTE.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    eh, 4G is a pure American thing anyways right now anyways, I wont care up here north of the border either way.

I dont think its a mistake, 4G isnt impressive enough yet, its just branding for the most part and once people start actually using it instead of just having the 5 people that are currently the speeds will drop and be even less impressive.
    Quite. The auction of 4G spectrum has only just been announced in the UK!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post

Might just be branding for most part, but branding is important. Only a tiny percentage of the people you're selling this stuff to knows what it means. To the majority, 4G>3G.

So if the Pre has hspa+, then HP better call it 4G. Everyone else is that isn't apple (until iphone 5 maybe :P). It remains to be seen if they're even considering a Sprint launch.

Just letting you know that as it is, the Pre 3 IS 4G for GSM carriers. If you don't think it is, then you shouldn't consider myTouch 4G and Atrix 4G as "4G" either.

A dual 1GHZ processor is not going to be faster then the single core 1.4GHZ process. And if you think the specs on the Pre 3 are "on par" with the EVO 4G, then you are crazy. Sure, the screen res and RAM is the same -- but it's not about how much RAM you have, it's how you use it. And I think we can all agree that Android loves it's RAM and WebOS uses it's resources better. Just look at the Veer -- it was super fast with a 800MHZ processor and 512mb of RAM. Imagine when the Pre 3 is done how fast it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The German industry hasn't started to market LTE as "4G" yet and, knowing the German mentality, they probably never will because LTE isn't *really* 4G.

At this point, LTE isn't even marketed to phones but exclusively as a DSL alternative for people in white spots on the map, and it's fairly expensive too.

So since I'm already getting 7Mb/s down with HSDPA on my Pre Minus, I couldn't care less about LTE in the Pre 3, or any other phone at that.
    LTE right now is not 4G, but LTE Advanced will be. And I haven't been able to find any evidence to disprove that when LTE Advanced is deployed LTE radio's would be able to use the faster speed. Meaning, if you buy LTE now, when LTE Advanced is released you will have LTE Advanced. In fact I (qith a quick Google search) found evidence proving I am right:

Being described as a 3.9G (beyond 3G but pre-4G) technology the first release LTE does not meet the IMT Advanced requirements for 4G also called IMT Advanced as defined by the International Telecommunication Union such as peak data rates up to 1 Gbit/s. The ITU has invited the submission of candidate Radio Interface Technologies (RITs) following their requirements as mentioned in a circular letter. LTE Advanced should be compatible with first release LTE equipment, and should share frequency bands with first release LTE.
    (LTE Advanced - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And the same with WiMAX too. Which is why I don't like HSPA+ being considered 4G because that technology is never going to be 4G whereas WiMAX radio's and LTE radio's will some day be able to reach those 4G speeds.
    while I'm already soured by HP and these iterative pre devices, 4G is a must. I'm paying the extra for it, not to mention I barely ever get true 3G speeds as it is right now. Highest I've gotten is 600 down, once! I avg anywhere from 200-300. 4G is a must
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

LTE right now is not 4G, but LTE Advanced will be. And I haven't been able to find any evidence to disprove that when LTE Advanced is deployed LTE radio's would be able to use the faster speed. Meaning, if you buy LTE now, when LTE Advanced is released you will have LTE Advanced. In fact I (qith a quick Google search) found evidence proving I am right:

(LTE Advanced - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And the same with WiMAX too. Which is why I don't like HSPA+ being considered 4G because that technology is never going to be 4G whereas WiMAX radio's and LTE radio's will some day be able to reach those 4G speeds.
    The fact that LTE devices will be radio compatible with LTE Advanced does not mean it will be capable of LTE Advanced speeds. In fact, I'm almost certain it won't be. All it means is that you can *use* an LTE device on an LTE Advanced network. Much the same way you can use an HSPA phone on an HSPA+ network but you don't get HSPA+ speeds with the HSPA phone.
    One thing about WiMAX and LTE is that both uses a lot of battery power. Granted, you can choose to turn it off to save battery and use good 'ol 3G data services...But, HP should spec out the Pre 3 with LTE data option on Verizon.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast